post-276-1242584121.jpg

post-276-1242584177.jpg

post-276-1242585759.jpg

post-276-1242585780.jpg

post-276-1242585844.jpg

post-276-1242585914.jpg

Edited by markmets415
easier to view photos

love the picture of the apparatus placement... very well thought out !!! what year is the third on from the right ??

thanks for sharing, looks like a well run and organized operation

nice pics

Did this drill only include Orange County units, or did any Ulster units participate as well?

Uhhhhh...... Vails Gate FD covers the majority of Stewart Airport if I'm not mistaken...... I find it odd that none of their apparatus are in any of the photo's.... Anybody else find this odd....... Oh..... Thanks for sharing them......

Edited by Photounit

love the picture of the apparatus placement... very well thought out !!! what year is the third on from the right ??

Bill, are you talking about the Mack in the last picture? If so, it's Cornwall on Hudson's '73 Aerialscope.

I've got a few more picts to add. I'll try to get that done tonight.

Photounit,

From what I understand Vails Gate did the same as Walden and did not attend due to the lack of qualified drivers. Both departments are strictly following the CDL Law, and since this was not an emergency all apparatus drivers were required to have the licenses. To my knowledge we are the only two departments in the county with such policies.

Edited by 201/65

Great pictures. What was thier senerio???

Thomas

Did this drill only include Orange County units, or did any Ulster units participate as well?

it looks like castle point VA FD from Dutchess was there as well since that is the Haz Mat unit in the first picture

Photounit,

From what I understand Vails Gate did the same as Walden and did not attend due to the lack of qualified drivers. Both departments are strictly following the CDL Law, and since this was not an emergency all apparatus drivers were required to have the licenses. To my knowledge we are the only two departments in the county with such policies.

Thanks...... First the vest law and now the CDL law....... What next ????????

On friday night we put through over 70 firefighters with the Kellogg University's aircraft simulater. Crews were instructed on how to approach the aircraft with ARFF apparatus with all safety precautions reviewed. Crews showed water with both roof/bumper turrets then went to a handline operation creating a rescue path to the L1 door for egress for the victims within the A/C. The simulater is a propane run unit with 3 different ground fires as well as engine fires, smoke and audible screaming from within the aircraft. It gave the 1st in mutual companys a feel of what goes on and what to expect in the event of a incident on the airfield. Tanker operations were used as a re-supply and the other apparatus was set in a staging area. A good drill forall involved to include the airport, and other support agencys that would be involved if it was a "real world" situation.

I was able to take a few pictures off my phone. Nothing spectacular, but some decent apparatus pictures.

IMG00140.jpg

Inside of the O.C. Hazmat Truck

IMG00141.jpg

IMG00144.jpg

My New Rides - C-5s

IMG00147.jpg

Myself, FF Carey, Lt Johoskey, and FF Cruz

IMG00148.jpg

C-130 Taking Off

Edited by x648eng119

IMG00152.jpg

IMG00153.jpg

IMG00154.jpg

More C-5s

IMG00155.jpg

IMG00156.jpg

City of Newburgh Ladder

IMG00157.jpg

IMG00158.jpg

IMG00151.jpg

IMG00145.jpg

Did you guys eat all the food? lol

Haha, actually, all the food was gone before we got to the hanger! They said they were getting pizza, but we didn't stick around for it.

It was a hell of an experience. Learned quite a bit, had a great time, and got some overtime! Can't beat that!!!! Lol

Photounit,

201/65 is correct.

201/65 is correct.

That is JUST NUTS to miss out on something like this especially if you are first-due...............

I remember YEARS ago when I was like 10 or so, the FedEx plane caught fire landing at Stewart. Fire Departments as far north as Milton got called in. I was too young to know if they were covering down or what, but I'd never seen so many rigs go by my house (I used to live on 9W in Marlboro)

That is JUST NUTS to miss out on something like this especially if you are first-due...............

Agreed. I understand they're trying to make a point but who suffered from this decision? They missed out on a unique and valuable training opportunity. Do you think any legislators care that they're making a stand such as this?

Agreed. I understand they're trying to make a point but who suffered from this decision? They missed out on a unique and valuable training opportunity. Do you think any legislators care that they're making a stand such as this?

I don't think they're trying to prove a point. No drivers with CDL's were available to bring apparatus. It IS the law and I know at least one of these departments is VERY serious about obtaining compliance with the law. It will take time to get enough members with CDL's to not miss opportunities like this.

I can NOT beleive there is not more of an uproar over this !

The first due department NOT THERE because of lack of drivers!? GIVE ME A <_< BREAK!

I agree Bill - the world of emergency services is being run by :( with vests who are afraid to drive a firetruck... Where will it end?

I don't know how valuable the training exercise was from the fire end. I've heard from some first due agencies that all they were allowed to do was stand there for 4 hours and then went home. Having been to drills like this before the FedEx fire and after the FedEx fire from both the fire and volunteer EMS side, I don't really find them all that 'valuable' of an experience for the average firefighter/EMT.

I think the most valuable experience I ever had on site at SWF was the FedEx fire itself. From looking at the picture, I can tell that they have made some adjustments at least in staging to make the operation a little better. The FedEx fire was a mess right from dispatch because all of the protocols at the time were written based on "souls on board" and didn't account for the potential of a large freight plane. That was dispatched as an alert 3 / level C which was a rescue-intensive response when they really needed more fire supression equipment. It just went downhill from there, but I got a nice day off of work. :rolleyes:

NWFD Medic- Between Friday night and Sat morning alot of crews went through the evolutions with the Kellogg simulator, on each burn there was approx 15 firefighters per evolution, On fri nt almost 80 firefighters went through the drill, Sat morning was also a busy morning for the crews. As far as the best hands on yes, I am sure the Fed Ex experience was the best hands on training possible. We all know that drills are drills and only some things can be as real as possible. If there is anything that you or whoever you spoke to has some input to make things run more smoothly or if you have any other ideas for the drill please let us know,input certainly helps when these drills are in the planning stages. Thanks, Hudson

I thought it was a once in a lifetime experience. How many FF's get to work with a great simlulator like they had there? Yes there was some waiting but with that many people its bound to happen. All the guys who ran the drill were more than happy to have us and help everyone threw. I personally learned alot and would love to do it again

Our Department is not trying to make a point.....we (as a department) wanted to be at the drill (I have had the luxury two years ago to utilize the simulator at the Stewart and found the training to be extremely beneficial). The Board of Fire Commissioners would not allow us to attend the drill since none of our, very few, CDL drivers were available.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous!!! In my humble opinion our department is not being ran by the fire chief but rather a lawyer dictating what you can and can not do. I have pointed out numerous New York State, as well as Federal laws, in which our Department (I imagine a majority of departments out there) do not comply with. Since the CDL issue has come to light all driver training and for the most part, training in general has come to a halt. The district is to concerned about the "liability." With the CDL issue, by complying with the CDL law to limit there "liability", in my opinion they are creating more of a"liability" by limiting training. We have pointed out that it is very realistic for a driver, who is not that active, to wind up driving an apparatus to a working fire when he/she has not driven that apparatus in months (since we can not drive the apparatus on drill nights or truck checks) I think that could be a liability....

We did not attend our local town parade yesterday which enraged our local politicians but it also unfortunately made our Department look extremely bad. I am very curious to see what happens if this is not corrected in the soon future. We have two new apparatus being delivered in the next few months….how are we going to train our 20-30 drivers on them??? What happens in October for Fire Prevention, are we going to tell the students sorry???

I disagree with the solution that you make all drivers get a CDL. Getting a CDL is a big deal, beside the initial cost and training it will affect that member’s personal life. A CDL driver is subject to stricter penalties if he/she is convicted of a VTL violations especially DWIs.

Something has to happen……….

Uhhhhh...... Vails Gate FD covers the majority of Stewart Airport if I'm not mistaken...... I find it odd that none of their apparatus are in any of the photo's.... Anybody else find this odd....... Oh..... Thanks for sharing them......

I have been told that Vails Gate is not permitted to move their rigs unless responding to a call or they have a driver with a CDL. This means no site training, no drills, no pre-plans, no driver training. I can't wait to hear the commissioner’s testimony when a business owner sues and wants to know why there were a dozen firefighters in station but they couldn’t respond because they had not been allowed to train any drivers.

So I guess these so called fire departments that are complying with the CDL rules are going second or third call to get off the floors then for calls... I mean if they are truely following the CDL rule then they must do a pre-trip inspection of the vehicle before responding then... That inspection includes checking all lights warning and general operation, fuel levels, oil levels, tire pressures, fan belt tensions, tread depths, mirror alignments and air brake checks before they respond to a call... Ohh lest not forget that if they find oil level low they have to refill before running the vehicle, replace any lights that are burned out or take the vehicle out of service, etc...

Come on, another unmandated law from our great politicians who have no clue as to how our system works...

Pressure your politicians to revoke this silly law now....

Edited by FIRECHIEF63

I have pointed out numerous New York State, as well as Federal laws, in which our Department (I imagine a majority of departments out there) do not comply with. Since the CDL issue has come to light all driver training and for the most part, training in general has come to a halt. The district is to concerned about the "liability." With the CDL issue, by complying with the CDL law to limit there "liability", in my opinion they are creating more of a"liability" by limiting training. We have pointed out that it is very realistic for a driver, who is not that active, to wind up driving an apparatus to a working fire when he/she has not driven that apparatus in months (since we can not drive the apparatus on drill nights or truck checks) I think that could be a liability....

TOTALY AGREE! You can't break this law but it's ok to break those other laws. I wanna know who got paid off to have this little item passed. Lets see we make every firefighter driver get a CDL look at all the money the state will bring in. Really stupid unless NYS is going to train and provide CDL's to the firefighters then why do something stupid and endanger lives...oh right someone's pocket has to be lined with $$