Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gpdexplorer

Backdraft or Ladder 49?

63 posts in this topic

Which movie do you like better?

Backdraft or Ladder 49

I've never seen Ladder 49, but I don't think it could be better than Backdraft

I didn't get a chance to see Ladder 49, but it must be some hell of a movie if everyone is saying that it's better than Backdraft, which in my opinion, is one of the best movies ever made.

Ladder 49, hands donw. at least it is somewhat based in reality. backdraft has guys in huge buildings with flames going who nows how high and no SCBA's on. plus 49 is visually better and has a much better plot. like it is all believable.

Ladder 49 ,, it was more real life then backdraft,, it had alot more of what happens in the family outside the firehouse

"I was in there doin it"

Unrealistic, Yes. Much better flick, Yes.

Yes the story in Backdraft was a lot more Hollywood, I actually enjoyed it more. I thought Ladder 49 was depressing.

Backdraft was such crap., IMHO. Best movie ever made? No way. Was it a good buff film? Sure. Was it true to life, not really. I haven't seen Ladder 49 but from what I have heard, John Travolta is a VF in real life and mirrored my sentiment that Backdraft was a little too fake. That was supposedly his motivation behind making Ladder 49. (Is that out on DVD yet, I should pick it up.

I guess I'll have to rent it now. I justed wanted to see what you FF's had to say about it.

i think ladder 49 is out on DVD in March. you can preorder it on Amazon.com

as much as i love both movies i think Ladder 49 was so much better then backdraft

it had better focus on real firefighting then backdraft

Toss up. Backdraft I believe was set in the early to mid 80's, which is when most departments started to use packs on a regular basis. Backdraft was more Hollywood, while Ladder 49 was much more realistic.

Really depends on which actors you like more.

what movie is that? i have heard of Ladder 49 but not 49 truck

Not that I can think of any, but are there any other good fire movies?

There's the Towering Inferno, which was Hollywood all the way, and one from way way way way back called Fire Alarm. I saw it at work and kinda giggled watching the old salt in the firehouse(who looked to be well into his sixties) dating a young lady probably no older than 23. I think it was made in either the 20's or 30's.

Backdraft was a good movie the only thing is Ladder 49 was made over 10 years later and holleywood has gotten better at making better visual effect's. I have not yet seen ladder 49 but heard that there is alot of fictional things in the movie. my vote is backdraft right now "It Shoes the brotherhood" even with the fighting

Fire trapped on the 37th floor, was a made for Tv movie i believe and i have it on VHS, i don;t know what year it aired in probably like 1996 or so.. Its the True story of the Interstate Bank Building Fire Los Angeles, California (May 4, 1988)

Interstate Bank Building Fire Los Angeles, California (May 4, 1988)

On Wednesday, May 4 and continuing in to May 5, 1988, the Los Angeles City Fire Department responded to and extinguished the most challenging and difficult high-rise fire in the city's history. The fire destroyed four floors and damaged a fifth floor of the modern 62 story First Interstate Bank building in downtwon L.A., claimed one life, injured approximately 35 occupants and 14 fire personnel, and resulted in a property loss of over $50 million.

This was one of the most destructive high-rise fires in recent United States history. The fire presented the greatest potential for the "Towering Inferno" scenario of any U.S. fire experience and was controlled only through the massive and dedicated manual fire suppression efforts large metropolitan fire department. It demonstrated the absolute need automatic sprinklers to provide protection for tall buildings.

For more info about the actual fire visit

http://www.iklimnet.com/hotelfires/interstatebank.html

Towering Inferno. Now THERE's a great movie.

Fire trapped on the 37th floor, was  a made for Tv movie i believe and i have it on VHS, i don;t know what year it aired in probably like 1996 or so.. Its the True story of the Interstate Bank Building Fire Los Angeles, California (May 4, 1988)

Interstate Bank Building Fire Los Angeles, California (May 4, 1988)    

On Wednesday, May 4 and continuing in to May 5, 1988, the Los Angeles City Fire Department responded to and extinguished the most challenging and difficult high-rise fire in the city's history. The fire destroyed four floors and damaged a fifth floor of the modern 62 story First Interstate Bank building in downtwon L.A., claimed one life, injured approximately 35 occupants and 14 fire personnel, and resulted in a property loss of over $50 million.  

This was one of the most destructive high-rise fires in recent United States history. The fire presented the greatest potential for the "Towering Inferno" scenario of any U.S. fire experience and was controlled only through the massive and dedicated manual fire suppression efforts large metropolitan fire department. It demonstrated the absolute need automatic sprinklers to provide protection for tall buildings.

For more info about the actual fire visit

http://www.iklimnet.com/hotelfires/interstatebank.html

That had Lee Majors in it??? I remember that one.

I was watchin that the other night...

Great Movie!!!

I was watchin that the other night...  

Great Movie!!!

Hey Dave - CAN YA TURN THE VOLUME DOWN!?!?!?!?!?!?! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

EMERGENCY! "Station 51 KMG-365" haha

I would have to go with Backdraft. :D

I enjoyed Ladder 49 but it got quite boring at times. I liked the action and the hollywood effects of Backdraft.

"You Go, We Go"

My vote goes for ladder 49, hands down.

Much more realistic and I think showed the better side of the FD then Backdraft did.

Ladder 49 would be my choice and it was set in th Earley 90's till now

Ladder 49 out on DVD March 8, 2005