Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gpdexplorer

Backdraft or Ladder 49?

63 posts in this topic

I SAY BACKDRAFT IS BETTER THEN LADDER 49

LADDER 49 WAS TO BORNING BACKDRAFT HAD MORE ACTION TO IT :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ladder 49 was a good movie

BUT...

BACKDRAFT is a classic!!!!!!!!!

I just watched ladder 49 on DVD and enjoyed the bonus features more then the movie itself. I enjoyed seeing the making of the movie and two week training session that all the actors attended at the Baltimore City Fire Academy.

i grew up with backdraft. i watched it every time my dad went out to an alarm. i have prolly seen it 200 times and a single tear comes out of my left eye when i see the end of the movie. i guess i think it is a better movie because i relate to it. my sister is a firefighter, my father has been 1 for 42 years, and now i am 1. every time i go into a building with my sister and dad i cant help but to think about backdraft. 1 of the best movies ever made and will ever be made. backdraft is an american classic, ladder 49 is an imposter

Ladder 49 all the way. it actually shows more of the brotherhood formed in the fd. it also shows the various parts of firefighting, both being on a nozel, to being search and rescue. backdraft while it was a good movie, was to hollywooded, and to much like jerry springer with the brothers fighting, and with them coming to agreements five minutes before the older one dies.

ladder 49

Edited by DerekGrisantiYHFD

While neither are among the "greatest" movies ever made, "Backdraft" beats "Ladder 49" hands down !

"backdraft" sucked more than anything has sucked before. what's with the little spot fires, no smoke, propelling 55 gallon drums, single engine & truck at factory fire & no "backup" available, memorable quotes from "captain ron" like "dig in!" & what's the engine co. officer doing with a pickhead axe??????????? the technical consultant was either way over paid or totally ignored. i know it's entertainment & not a documentary but don't insult our intelligence with this stuff. emergency! may be 30+ years old & pretty hokey but at least jack webb was into technical accuracy & for the most part did a pretty job pulling it off while remaining entertaining. hollywood with all their cinematic advances can't do the same?????????? both of those movies should have been incredible. compare to what steven speilberg did with saving private ryan & band of brothers.

Both movies are great but ladder 49 is much better in my opinion.

Ladder 49 is way better the Backdraft

maybe someday someone will make a movie or show about firefighters that isnt a love story, a family's timeline, or an alcoholics AA meetings, and we can a firefighter put out fires, and pack hose, and so on. Then people can see what we really do.

This is to Alfons0x66 they do its called firehouseUSA: BOSTON on channel 27 or the discovery channel.

I've gotta admit that I liked Backdraft better. Ladder 49 seemed more authentic and better made than Backdraft. I also thought Ladder 49 had a much deeper plot and better character development.

But, here's the problem: Ladder 49 really depressed me. Backdraft's ending wasn't particularly happy either, but the bad guys get what they deserve and the movie ends on a positive note as the engine rolls off to the next call. So, maybe Ladder 49 was a better movie, but I liked Backdraft more.

I guess I'm just kinda shallow like that. :D

Edited by bennybomb

Ladder 49, better in everyway. Though Backdraft was good with Hollywood, I can only watch Kurt Russell swing an ax at burning boxes so many times.

Mother Juggs and Speed! Opps wrong genere. Backdraft.......Anyone seen Hellfighters with John Wayne now there's a firefighting movie! HA HA

Mother Juggs and Speed!  Opps wrong genere. Backdraft.......Anyone seen Hellfighters with John Wayne now there's a firefighting movie! HA HA

Dueling Ambulance Corps and Raquel Welch... who could ask for more!?

Also, don't forget The Towering Inferno!

As far as the original topic-- I can watch Backdraft 10 times a day, Ladder 49 maybe every other week...

There's the Towering Inferno, which was Hollywood all the way, and one from way way way way back called Fire Alarm. I saw it at work and kinda giggled watching the old salt in the firehouse(who looked to be well into his sixties) dating a young lady probably no older than 23. I think it was made in either the 20's or 30's.

I thought that everything in Towering Inferno was true? It's not?

I like both, backdraft bring u back to the older days, where ladder 49 bring u to up to date. but i would have to say ladder 49, but backdraft had better fire scenes.

truckie45

I like both, backdraft bring u back to the older days, where ladder 49 bring u to up to date. but i would have to say ladder 49, but backdraft had better fire scenes.

truckie45

Are you running for office? Or is it just windy? :lol:

I would have to go with ladder 49. I have the dvd and it is the best. It has a little extra part that shows you all the training that they had to go through.

Backdraft. I do have one question though. Why do they have to kill a FF in all the movies. Backdraft, Ladder 49, Towering Inferno, John Wayne's movie about Red Adair and the Oil Well FF's, etc..... :huh::huh:

3rd alarm of fire box alarm 50-4 units respond one chalie one, engine 5, engine 55, engine 33, truck 1, truck 49, medic 20, feild comm respond, newgate ave and newkurk st, hamilton grain for the building fire!!

Ladder 49 hands down!

Their is also that one movie, I forget when it came out but, ablaze, that was a good movie.

Ladder 49 by far!!!!! But if Truck 49 is the better FF movie than what is the best police movie??? (SWAT... or....)

Ladder 49, definatly Ladder 49

I wasn't too hot on either one of them actually. Does anyone remember back in the late 70's or early 80.(pre cable). One of the networks did a program where they were doing ride-alongs with a few companies in the city( I think Queens). I was very young, and the reception of the station sucked as anyone can attest to who lived up in westchester before cable came around. I wrote to ABC because that is the network that carried it, and asked them if they could recall the name. They were less than helpful. I'm not sure if it was CBS or NBC now. But anyway. Somone else remember the program?