Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY To Purchase Ferrara Ladders?

119 posts in this topic

Probably a numbers game due to budget issues. Order 20 now and 60 later rather than 40 each time.

I Am A Big F.D.N.Y. Fan Do You Have Any Pic Of What It Will Look Like

If you go to Ferrara's website and look at trucks in production - I would say that the Elmont, NY rig is a pretty good indication of what they will look like if they go with the Ferrara cab instead of the Spartan cabs.

I am not in the industry, but am a buff. I remember reading about this topic sometime ago and was keeping my eyes peeled to see if there was any update. I am surprised that Ferrara was awarded the contract. Was it stricktly a numbers reason, or has Seagrave quality gone down? Was Ferrara award just the 20 rigs? I guess it is going to be interesting to see Ferrara ladders speeding around the city in the next few years.

I'm fairly certain this order will serve to replace the 2001's and any that are floating around from 2000 and 2002. It'll be at least a year before we see one.

I think there are a few 1999 aerials that will be the first to be replaced then onto 2000 and so on. The purchase of 20 is not too little or too much, remember of the 143 ladder companiies there are tillers, towers and the rearmounts. Not sure of numbers in total but there are 13 tillers and of the remaining 130 almost half i think are divided between tower and aerial.

I'm not sure if this was brought up before or not so sorry if im repeating a question but is the city looking to get Ferrara contracts for engines or other units too? I know they do have some Ferrara units already: E54, E26, Hazmat 1. I know they were just getting the new order from Seagrave for engines so I know it would be a while for a new contract. I was just wondering.

I am not in the industry, but am a buff. I remember reading about this topic sometime ago and was keeping my eyes peeled to see if there was any update. I am surprised that Ferrara was awarded the contract. Was it stricktly a numbers reason, or has Seagrave quality gone down? Was Ferrara award just the 20 rigs? I guess it is going to be interesting to see Ferrara ladders speeding around the city in the next few years.

I'm not sure if this was brought up before or not so sorry if im repeating a question but is the city looking to get Ferrara contracts for engines or other units too? I know they do have some Ferrara units already: E54, E26, Hazmat 1. I know they were just getting the new order from Seagrave for engines so I know it would be a while for a new contract. I was just wondering.

Any time FDNY makes a significant purchase it must be put out to bid to ensure the tax payers are getting the best price. To ensure they get the right product FDNY has developed an incredibly detailed and extensive bid for all of their fire apparatus to ensure it can do exactly what they want. Maybe the last round of ladder problems forced Seagrave to up the cost of the bid to cover the demands of FDNY's warranty repair. Ferrara has aggressively pursued FDNY contracts as well as expanding their footprint in the tri-state area. Maybe they underbid and will find themselves taking a hit on this. Either way, no matter who's name is on the grill it should be fully capable of doing the job. We'll know who's getting the next contract after its awarded. They're truly up for grabs to any company that can put itself out there.

Any time FDNY makes a significant purchase it must be put out to bid to ensure the tax payers are getting the best price. To ensure they get the right product FDNY has developed an incredibly detailed and extensive bid for all of their fire apparatus to ensure it can do exactly what they want. Maybe the last round of ladder problems forced Seagrave to up the cost of the bid to cover the demands of FDNY's warranty repair. Ferrara has aggressively pursued FDNY contracts as well as expanding their footprint in the tri-state area. Maybe they underbid and will find themselves taking a hit on this. Either way, no matter who's name is on the grill it should be fully capable of doing the job. We'll know who's getting the next contract after its awarded. They're truly up for grabs to any company that can put itself out there.

Well put thanks for the info.

Seeing those two new collapse rescues being built on Spartan cabs is a good sign that these new trucks may also follow the same path as far as cabs go. They also closely follow the new gen Seagraves as far as angled lighting on the front of the cab goes.

I believe the collapses went to a Spartan chassis because Mac either changed or dropped the chassis FDNY had been using.

I believe the collapses went to a Spartan chassis because Mac either changed or dropped the chassis FDNY had been using.

Mack still produces the chasis. It is now called the "Terapro". Yonkers just took delivery of a Collapse Rescue on a Mack Terapro.

http://www.mackterrapro.com/

It is primarily marketed to the refuse industry, but is used in many other industries as well.

Yonkers just took delivery of a Collapse Rescue on a Mack Terapro.

No photos? That must be the new name for the MR chassis. Interesting that it never made the impact that the CF did. I've seen a few of the hose wagons that we have, seem like a decent cab with good viability.

From other sources and forums, Ferrara is designing/building a custom chasis of their own specifically for this order. Probaly similar to what they did with the "Ultra" chasis they designed specifically for the FDNY engine contract they got a few years back.

From other sources and forums, Ferrara is designing/building a custom chasis of their own specifically for this order. Probaly similar to what they did with the "Ultra" chasis they designed specifically for the FDNY engine contract they got a few years back.

Must be a new tilt-cab configuration like the pumpers? Do you think they are not ordering any more fixed cabs since the pumper specs changed? Should be interesting to see what the final product is and how well they hold up.

In honesty as long as the AC works during the summer, who cares?!

Too true!

As for the cab, I'm sure it'll have some features like the new engines and a tilt cab, since that's the new way the job is going.

Also, word is, the job is looking for a new chassis for the 95ft TL's because the current chassis's aren't holding the weight very well and suspensions are going fast. The alternative is to no longer order 95 footers.

Here is the awarded bid:

TRUCK, FIRE, 100 FT. REARMOUNT AERIAL

Competitive Sealed Bids - PIN# 857900011

AMT: $21,016,210.00 TO: Ferrara Fire Apparatus, Inc.

27855 James Chapel Road, P.O. Box 249, Holden, LA 70744

Published: 10/21/2009

Award: Competitive Sealed Bids

Agency: DCAS / DMSS

I'm not sure what's bundled with the total cost, seems like a lot.

I thought the original order was for 20 trucks. Price seems about right for 20 trucks.

Over a million per rig? Nah, way high. In NYC our rigs are delivered with no equipment. That's $1,000,000.00 plus for just the truck and nothing else. That's very high.

Edited by M' Ave

Over a million per rig? Nah, way high. In NYC our rigs are delivered with no equipment. That's $1,000,000.00 plus for just the truck and nothing else. That's very high.

The FDNY spec includes a lot of extra parts, including 2 complete sets of spare glass (all around), radios, wheels & tires etc.

Without "eguipment" rearmounts are currently right around $800,000 and Towers are running $1 to $1.2 without all of the FDNY parts. Even with volume discounts.

Barry, the glass I understand, along with other spare parts. How about radio's though? That doesn't go through a separate bid? With the specific stereo-simplex system, the job doesn't purchase that stuff separate and have our shops install it?

Thanks for the price insight.

Barry, the glass I understand, along with other spare parts. How about radio's though? That doesn't go through a separate bid? With the specific stereo-simplex system, the job doesn't purchase that stuff separate and have our shops install it?

Thanks for the price insight.

Seagrave does not put in the radios. I believe each rig was 800K+ and the total price includes an additional 9 or so units above the initial 21 units to be done at a later date.

Seagrave does not put in the radios. I believe each rig was 800K+ and the total price includes an additional 9 or so units above the initial 21 units to be done at a later date.

The HP engine spec I have (about 3 years old)shows that the dealer is responsable for the following:

SUMMARY OF EQUIPMENT TO BE INSTALLED AND/OR PROVIDED

A. Installed Equipment Required:

• One (1) VHF Mobile Two Way Radio with Scan Function, Individual Handset, and Speakers.

• One (1) Electronic Siren with Public Address System.

• One (1) 800 Mhz Mobile Data Terminal (MDT) with Internal Mobile Two Way Data Radio, External Speaker and Printer.

• Two (2) Electronic Protectors.

B. Spare Equipment to be supplied:

Equipment shall be supplied under "SPECIFIC EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS" complete with all required accessories, Installation Cables and Ancillary equipment. One "Spare Package" to include items #'s 1, 2, & 3, listed below.

• One (1) VHF Mobile Two Way Radio. Complete

• One (1) 800 Mhz MDT with Internal Mobile Two Way radio. External Speaker and Printer. Complete

• One (1) Electronic Siren with Public Address System. Complete

SPARES

The spare equipment delineated in the “SUMMARY OF EQUIPMENT TO BE INSTALLED AND/OR PROVIDED”, Section B: “Spare Equipment”, shall be delivered to the Fire Departments Radio Repair Shop located at......

Does anyone know if Ferrara is still using Smeal aerials? Last time I was in Nebraska there were Ferrara chassis waiting for their aerials to be built and installed. Just wondering if they are building their own now.

Does anyone know if Ferrara is still using Smeal aerials? Last time I was in Nebraska there were Ferrara chassis waiting for their aerials to be built and installed. Just wondering if they are building their own now.

Yes, they still have their aerials made by Smeal.

The HP engine spec I have (about 3 years old)shows that the dealer is responsable for the following:

SUMMARY OF EQUIPMENT TO BE INSTALLED AND/OR PROVIDED

A. Installed Equipment Required:

• One (1) VHF Mobile Two Way Radio with Scan Function, Individual Handset, and Speakers.

• One (1) Electronic Siren with Public Address System.

• One (1) 800 Mhz Mobile Data Terminal (MDT) with Internal Mobile Two Way Data Radio, External Speaker and Printer.

• Two (2) Electronic Protectors.

B. Spare Equipment to be supplied:

Equipment shall be supplied under "SPECIFIC EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS" complete with all required accessories, Installation Cables and Ancillary equipment. One "Spare Package" to include items #'s 1, 2, & 3, listed below.

• One (1) VHF Mobile Two Way Radio. Complete

• One (1) 800 Mhz MDT with Internal Mobile Two Way radio. External Speaker and Printer. Complete

• One (1) Electronic Siren with Public Address System. Complete

SPARES

The spare equipment delineated in the “SUMMARY OF EQUIPMENT TO BE INSTALLED AND/OR PROVIDED”, Section B: “Spare Equipment”, shall be delivered to the Fire Departments Radio Repair Shop located at......

I stand corrected, you are right.What I meant to say is that Motorola puts them in at Seagrave.

Edited by JAD622

When is delivery expected? Does anyone have any PE drawings or anything to give us an idea of what the new ladders are going to look like?

bump...any CAD drawing out there yet as to what the new aerials are going to look like?