Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY To Purchase Ferrara Ladders?

119 posts in this topic

That's kind of a funny press-release from Ferrara. As we were told by the shops in the field, the order was going to be for 20 to begin with. As for the city "being happy with the progress", as I was told, they haven't started building a single truck because the city hasn't paid yet.

Apparently, there is a top secret prototype from someone who works at Ferrara and, although a "drawing" supposedly has been released, that was the concept and is not the official one.

Also, ALF has been working to complete all ALF aerials. I have a friend who also visited that plant recently was told the RUMOR is that FDNY and Ferrara have visited the facility.

It's also been said that there are several venture capitalists that are waiting to back Ferrara with cash.

Don't know if the three are related or any further, but it could add up. Ferrara is going to need to seriously expand to build this new chasis, body, and aerial, plus the rescues and possible future new engines, and they will need a lot of cash and a stronger northeast service presence Guess it's just speculation at this point, but I think something will be announced at FDIC in a few weeks.

Ferrara went through a pretty substantial expansion 2 or 3 years ago and their in production page is a lot shorter than it use to be. They may be able to accommodate the orders with the space they have for the time being.

Ferrara went through a pretty substantial expansion 2 or 3 years ago and their in production page is a lot shorter than it use to be. They may be able to accommodate the orders with the space they have for the time being.

Ferrara needs more space to deal with the stainless steel alone, especially if they are not going to contract out for the stainless steel cab. They are currently adding more testing equipment to their facility, and there is talk of expansion but not in LA. They turn over orders pretty quickly, but that's primarily because they work with aluminum.

Either way, I think it's a safe bet that you will not see a Ferrara aerial in the FDNY fleet for some time. We'll start with a year, who wants the over/under?

Ill take the over.If Smeal is still providing the aerials for Ferrara then the rigs will have to be driven to Nebraska where the ladder is to be built and mounted then to Louisiana for final assembly.This whole process might take some time for a large order if both companies don't scale back on some orders.

Either way, I think it's a safe bet that you will not see a Ferrara aerial in the FDNY fleet for some time. We'll start with a year, who wants the over/under?

Or for 20 trucks plus their normal orders would Smeal flatbed the aerials to La with their own mechanics?

Ferrara in the field, over a year. At the rock for testing under.

Production is underway

Edited by ny10570

Sorry for all the reposts. Site was acting weird..

post-1430-0-31799800-1292210686.jpg

post-1430-0-43319700-1292210989.jpg

Edited by ny10570

Sorry for all the reposts. Site was acting weird..

Interesting. They were supposedly going to be delivered by the end of the year........guess not. Well, it'll be nice to see them in action. All of the rear-mounts in my battalion and surrounding battalions are pretty much done.....time for a new rig.

New photos are up of the new Ferrara ladder. Go to ferrarafire.com and check out what's in production.

post-1020-0-45921500-1292987010.jpg

post-1020-0-24439100-1292987032.jpg

H-4504 FDNY, NY

Type: Ferrara 100' Rear Mount Aerial

Chassis: Ferrara heavy duty custom chassis; 236" w/b; 37' 8" OAL; 10' 9.75" OAH; Heavy duty stainless steel split tilt cab; Extreme Duty interior; Seating for 6; Bostrom SCBA seats; Interior/Exterior storage in rear cab extension; Rosco backing camera; Cummins ISM-500; Allison 4000EVS; 400 amp Niehoff; Extreme Duty painted steel front bumper; Federal EQ2B siren

Body: Heavy duty stainless steel; Stainless steel compartment doors; Fire extinguisher storage; Air bag storage; Spare SCBA over rear wheels; Ladder pipe hose tray; Custom shelves and trays; Bustin stainless steel step surfaces

Aerial: 4-section rear mount aerial; Low profile design; 100' vertical reach; Extended bolt-on egress section; 2 outriggers; Axe, Halligan, pike pole and attic ladder mounted at tip

Feature: Flex conduit for electrical wiring; Federal upper LED warning lights; Whelen lower LED warning lights; Federal traffic directional bar; ROM LED compartment lights with stainless steel guards; Zico dock lights over rear wheels; Go Light remote control spotlight on cab roof; 2 Federal Nightfighter 12 volt telescopic lights; Fire Research 150W HID brow light; Fire Research 150W HID scene lights; Onan 8kW hydraulic generator; 2 Havis 750W scene lights; Hannay electric rewind cord reel; 141' ground ladders

http://www.ferrarafire.com./CustomerSupport/InProduction/InProduction.html

Co's to receive these new rigs supposedly are: BOT, 137, 156, 19, 81, 29, 55, 123, 24, 169, 32, 42, 154 and others... (thanks HaliganHook @The Rant)

Thought i`d ad my 2 cents... If the dealer is going to be Neville on the island i!d be really shocked, their shop is small and cluttered up with ambulances, a small staff , like 4 mechanics.I cant believe FDNY took a trip to their shop!! Just wait till they start dealing witk the factory waranty rep..I gotta see this.

L137, L156, L81, L123, L24, L169, L32, L154, L42, L4, L165, L49, L173, L38, L29, L8, L113, L132, L11, L3 are to recieve new aerials. I was told the 10 aerials that were added to the original order were put on hold... I also didnt have L19 or the BOT aerial on my list, but it would make sense that L19 would be getting one since their rig is a 2001 Ex-BOT truck. BOT usually gets the first of the new rigs too.

The first truck was slated to be delivered before Christmas, but it looks like they are just going into production if the photos posted are recent. Chris Ferrara said the pics on the site aren't always up to date but the FDNY photos usually are.

L137, L156, L81, L123, L24, L169, L32, L154, L42, L4, L165, L49, L173, L38, L29, L8, L113, L132, L11, L3 are to recieve new aerials. I was told the 10 aerials that were added to the original order were put on hold... I also didnt have L19 or the BOT aerial on my list, but it would make sense that L19 would be getting one since their rig is a 2001 Ex-BOT truck. BOT usually gets the first of the new rigs too.

The first truck was slated to be delivered before Christmas, but it looks like they are just going into production if the photos posted are recent. Chris Ferrara said the pics on the site aren't always up to date but the FDNY photos usually are.

Those photos are from the Ferrara site Eli. I saw them on the rant and thought they were from a recent FDNY visit to the plant. I asked the poster for permission to share them here. He got back to me and stated they were from the site. If you look at the production link you'll see those and a few more. By now they might even have a few compartments bolted on. :rolleyes:

Thought i`d ad my 2 cents... If the dealer is going to be Neville on the island i!d be really shocked, their shop is small and cluttered up with ambulances, a small staff , like 4 mechanics.I cant believe FDNY took a trip to their shop!! Just wait till they start dealing witk the factory waranty rep..I gotta see this.

FDNY shops will perform the vast majority of the work on these rigs. They already have a good number of Ferrara rigs in service with Hazmat a few engines and other various support vehicles. I think they have a pretty good feel for how the relationship will work with regard to warrantee work etc.

Production is underway

I just don't get it ???? who cares what rig or in this case, ladder trucks FDNY buys. I thought I was missing out on somthing when I was checking out todays posts.

And one more thing...................GOOD LUCK on Ferrara ladders trucks.:blink:

I just don't get it ???? who cares what rig or in this case, ladder trucks FDNY buys. I thought I was missing out on somthing when I was checking out todays posts.

And one more thing...................GOOD LUCK on Ferrara ladders trucks.:blink:

Well Brother I guess a lot of people care, or are at least interested in what ladder trucks FDNY is buying and planning on augmenting the Seagrave fleet with, as it's generated 5 pages of discussion here. Without going back explicitly to see who from the FDNY said it here; I think it was M'Ave, who gave us the insight that the members there don't really mind what rig they are riding in, as long as it can do the job.

I guess when fire apparatus are truly put to the test in places like the FDNY, Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, New Rochelle, many firefighters from other places are curious right out of the gate to see the process of change occurring, and then to see going forward how this new manufacturer for a specific type of fire apparatus will perform, and hold up through the rigors of urban firefighting.

Many times this influences other departments future purchases of their own apparatus I imagine.

Of course many of us here would rather be discussing the PASSAGE of the Zadroga Bill, or the rehiring of laid off firefighters around the state, but so far not much to report there....

M' Ave likes this

I had though FDNY was transitioning to the full tilt cabs since most split tilts were being phased out?

I had though FDNY was transitioning to the full tilt cabs since most split tilts were being phased out?

I believe that every new Engine, Ladder and Rescue has a split tilt cab.

I believe that every new Engine, Ladder and Rescue has a split tilt cab.

I was wondering cause I was looking at the photos in FAJ and the new Seagraves showed (at least I though) they were full tilts. I'll have to look again.

I was wondering cause I was looking at the photos in FAJ and the new Seagraves showed (at least I though) they were full tilts. I'll have to look again.

It was reported that the split cab was needed because of contract issues with the mechanics needing to occasionally work on a rig inside a fire house.

Yep, just looked and I was mistaken they were full tilts. My bad on that one.

NYC has exercised it's option to tack on to this order. They have ordered 21 additional RM aerials from Ferrara. While the "In Production" site doesn't show it, apparently they have completed 10 so far, half of the original order, with the rest to be completed before the winter.

None are in service yet, but I've had the chance to poke around one of them. A lot of room in the back for the member. Good tool storage and some interesting inovations. They seem to be super heavy duty, more so than the current fleet. Time will tell, but they look and feel good on the surface.

x635 likes this

Thanks for the info, M'Ave! I guess this cab wouldn't be comprable to the Ferrara Engines that have been in service?

Here's the rest of the press release:

Ferrara Awarded Additional $22 Million FDNY Aerial Contract

Holden, LA – Ferrara Fire Apparatus, Inc., America’s premier custom fire apparatus manufacturer, has been awarded twenty-one additional 100’ rear mount aerial ladders by the City of New York Fire Department. When this order is complete, forty-one Ferrara aerials will be in service at FDNY.

Ferrara is at the mid-point in producing the first twenty FDNY 100’ rear mount aerials. “The initial response we’ve received from the City and FDNY has been very positive,” said company President/CEO, Chris Ferrara. “We built what the city asked of us: A heavy duty truck with a comfortable crew area, a high performance straight stick ladder and a stainless steel cab and body built like no other.”

The aerials are built on Ferrara’s Ultra custom chassis, featuring an all stainless steel cab with a split tilt design, seating for six and powered by a Cummins ISX11.9 500 horsepower 2010 EPA compliant engine. The aerial is a four section rear mount ladder with a 100’ vertical reach. Its compact design is well suited to the congested streets of New York and the 10’ 10” travel height will easily fit into FDNY’s historic fire stations that have low door openings.

Ferrara Fire Apparatus manufacturers a full line of fire, emergency and rescue vehicles. In addition to the Ultra chassis, Ferrara also offers the Inferno, Igniter, Ember and Intruder 2 custom fire chassis. These are available in pumper, tanker, rear and mid-mount aerial ladder and platform, rescue and incident command and high flow industrial configurations. A leading innovator in the industry, Ferrara takes pride in offering such firefighter safety items such as the MVP, On-Site Tilt Table Testing, Cab and Body ECE-29 Crash Testing, Independent Front Suspension, Complete Airbag Protection, and SmartWheel steering systems.

For more information on the company please contact Paul Christiansen, Marketing Director, at 800.443.9006, via e-mail at paul.christiansen@ferrarafire.com or by regular mail at Ferrara Fire Apparatus, Inc., PO Box 249, Holden, LA 70744.