Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SWS1

Independent Fire Co, Mount Kisco 2009 Chief's Tahoe

16 posts in this topic

The Independent Fire Company located in Mount Kisco (Westchester County) New York, accepted their new Chief's vehicle on July 9th.

Designated 2283, the new truck of "The Swarm" is a maroon 2009 Chevrolet Tahoe.

As the IFC was seeking a slightly more discreet outward appearance, a subtler configuration was employed while still providing the degree of visual warning a primary response vehicle requires. To achieve this, a Whelen Inner Edge, ten lamp LED interior lightbar was installed in the upper front windshield with two six head Dominators installed in the front grille. A Super LED Mirror Beam kit was installed on both side view mirrors while red/white LIN4s were mounted on the side running boards and inside the rear side cargo windows. Two red/amber 400 Super LEDs installed on the rear cargo door, four LAW hideaways in the taillights and an eight head Dominator in the upper cargo window, provide rear facing warning. A somewhat unique feature of the warning system is the utilization of the Whelen HHS2200 remote system that combines all visual warning, siren and P.A. controls into a single hand held unit. It's use provides significant space savings in the center console while affording individualized control of the warning system to meet the IFC's specs.

Two dual reflector halogen flood assemblies are installed under the rear bumper with one pair of reflectors working in conjunction with the OEM reverse lights and the other pair configured with LED utility lights that were mounted in the cargo compartment to provide area lighting for nighttime operations.

As the Independent Fire Company desired to maintain the OEM center console, a Havis vehicle specific replacement console was incorporated which contains the department low band radio, County trunk radio, 12V power outlets and cup holders. A custom bracket was fabricated for installation of the hand held system controller that allows for easy access and stable control while still maintaining "portability" should the need arise.

The custom storage cabinet incorporates space for SCBA, hand tools, turnout gear, EMS equipment, scene management and Incident Command supplies. The front face of the cabinet provides for the consolidation of the electronics related to the warning and communications systems.

A gold leaf and reflective graphics package with hand painted artwork, finish the exterior, with the department's bee displayed proudly on the rear cargo door, symbolizing their history as "The Swarm".

Specialty Warning Systems extends it's appreciation to the Independent Fire Company in Mount Kisco, for their confidence in us to provide their latest Chief's vehicle and enjoyed the challenges this somewhat unique vehicle presented. We hope to work with them in the future on further projects.

Please check on YouTube regularly as we update our videos (on this and other vehicles by Specialty Warning Systems) often.

(in the search box, just type "Specialty Warning" for a full list of our available videos)

post-7323-1247544637.jpg

post-7323-1247544706.jpg

post-7323-1247544754.jpg

post-7323-1247544794.jpg

post-7323-1247544837.jpg

post-7323-1247544891.jpg

post-7323-1247544947.jpg

post-7323-1247545058.jpg

post-7323-1247545112.jpg

It's nice but I'm not a fan of the undercover look

The only thing thats missing is the lightbar, what is 'discreet' about this?

Good points I looked back at the pictures and it's not as bad as I thought

Nice vehicle, me I like the simple less extreme looking chief's vehicles, I am not a fan of all the bells and whistles displayed which are usually a total waste of $$$$$, give me a simple layout with lights visible 360 degrees and reflective striping any day, thanks for sharing and another excellent job by SWS

My only comment is.. discrete DOESN'T always = less $$$$ extra LED lights were added to this vehicle to make up for the lack of a lightbar..

There is no lightbar....thats about it...I would not call all the LEDS, reflective striping, and departmental markings "discreet"...

It has no light bar = less wind drag = better gas mielage = less $$$ spent in fuel = $$$ saved.

With it being less noticeable - you're less likely to get questions asked about why Car XYZ from anytown, is driving all over the State :P

Also, without that added extra headroom - it might fit inside a residential garage - assuming of course it's not full of other stuff .....

I didn't realize, but I guess each Company in Mt Kisco has their own Chief - I guess it just rotates in turn as to who the Department Chief is. Interesting.

All that said - looks like an excellent job. I'll be looking on you tube to see it in action.

Edited by Monty

AAHHH It's a damn nice looking vehicle no matter. I agree with Mark. it is sometimes better to have less bells and whistles. Good Luck with it!!!!!

I also am not a fan of the "discreet" look. It seems like there isn't the same warning protection in the rear as with a "classic" light bar.

I like the slicktop look. It's catching on down here in Texas:

http://www.x635photos.com/displayimage-224-1.html

With LED's, the whole warning market has changed. You can basically put LED's anywhere and everywhere on an emergency vehicle. They do the job just as well, if not better, than a lightbar.I also agree with x129k's point about wind drag, but I doubt that was a factor since they selected a Tahoe.

I like it, I am not a fan of lightbars and think MKFD got it right with the way they did it. Seth, and yes AFD too :)

It has no light bar = less wind drag = better gas mileage = less $$ spent in fuel = $$ saved.

Same reason why many police departments go "topless."

BTW, not being a Westchester FF, why "Chief 13" and "2283?"

Same reason why many police departments go "topless."

BTW, not being a Westchester FF, why "Chief 13" and "2283?"

MKFD Is In Battalion 13 and 2283 is the cheifs callsign

Mount Kisco is not in Battalion 13 it is in Bat 16. Every company in Mount Kisco (of which there are 4) purchases their own chiefs car for their own chief. Every 2 years each chief moves up in ranks. Each company has a number assigned to them which are 12, 13, 14 and 15. The Independents are designated 13 so they felt that instead of having to change the cars rank every 2 years this would be more appropriate. Hence the Chief 13

Edited by NYRangers30

What is the rationale for a more discreet appearance?

There is nothing discreet about this chief's car when it lights up...it's intense, even during the day. It also only fits in MOST residential garages.