Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

LifeNet Cutting WMC Helicopter

42 posts in this topic

http://www.lohud.com/article/2009907220358

VALHALLA - Westchester Medical Center is losing its STAT Flight helicopter in a cost-cutting move that will shift patient air transports to upstate medical evacuation choppers - raising concerns among some local officials.

This should close the recent debate on using LifeNet in and around communities close to WMC.

He said medevac choppers in Hartford, Conn., and New Jersey could also be called upon. Patients within a 25-mile radius of the hospital would get there faster by ambulance anyway, Yale maintained.

...that should end the somers debate.

I feel that losing STAT Flight in this area is truly detrimental. Having a MediVac in this area i believe is crucial (even if life net claims otherwise).

Whats worse about the whole situation is that they are laying off most of the personnel.. not even detailing to different stations. Most have a contingency plan but it still sucks. Now the crews at Kobelt will primarily be handling the specialty trips from WMC and doing scene jobs as well, so the ripple effect is tremendous. I have a feeling Lifeguard will be handling a lot more scene jobs in Dutchess/ Putnam/ Westchester.

"VALHALLA - Westchester Medical Center is losing its STAT Flight helicopter in a cost-cutting move that will shift patient air transports to upstate medical evacuation choppers - raising concerns among some local officials."

this is a terrible idea... that copter went on many calls and saved many lives. They do not realize that by taking the copter away. It is not only worrying local officials but it is worrying many civilians also

We have a aviation program in Westchester that does PD and Fire......so why not add EMS to that list????? I believe the WCPD helicopter is capable....they can do it like Los Angeles County PD does.....

We have a aviation program in Westchester that does PD and Fire......so why not add EMS to that list????? I believe the WCPD helicopter is capable....they can do it like Los Angeles County PD does.....

With what money? Besides, there are bigger fish to fry...like getting ambulances out the door with a full crew in less than 45 minutes.

THe Westchester County PD helicopter could very well do the job. The state police helicopter is already doing it. It's all about the $$$$$$$.

With what money? Besides, there are bigger fish to fry...like getting ambulances out the door with a full crew in less than 45 minutes.

There is not enough money to keep the WCPD heli covered 24 hours now.

There is not enough money to keep the WCPD heli covered 24 hours now.

That's what I figured, but maybe if EMS, Fire, and PD banded together and made a strong case for it.........wiat, it's Westchester- nevermind.

That's what I figured, but maybe if EMS, Fire, and PD banded together and made a strong case for it.........wiat, it's Westchester- nevermind.

For EMS, PD and Fire to band together the planets would need to align and there would need to be some sort of divine intervention. But honestly, for the vast majority of Westchester i don't see this as a huge issue. The majority of agencies rarely, if ever, call for a chopper. Money talks, BS walks.

Sadly, ever since STAT became part of this LifeNet group, the whole, original concept of "saving lives" went out the window in order to make more money. I remember how Air 1 and Air 2 could be pulled from a transport job for a scene job - but this doesn't happen anymore. Talking with pilots, Medics and other former WestComm dispatchers like me, we've all noticed that it became more about the money then the patients - and it is very sad. I hope this doesn't happen, but I am sure it will.

Hopefully all of the great pilots and crew members are able to find work quickly and don't suffer financially from this poor choice.

LAPD covers all shifts, all days of the week, with several helicopters staffed round the clock with police pilots and TFO's. WCPD does not have nearly the staffing or the number of copters. And the 2 they do have are both too small for the amt of equipment and bodies necessary for pt tx.

County PD aviation does fire calls?? Since when? They occasionally assist with brush fires by using the bambi bucket, but that is rare.

If you know of a way to get a few million dollars into the county budget to cover a new, larger airship AND more full-time police pilots and/or TFO's, please contact chris192 and make his day. ;)

Not for nothing, but they're not a charity organization. They're a business that has to answer to owners and creditors. If life safety is so important then why are Fire and EMS still volunteer services? Money is a finite resource and it potentially affects every decision.

Sadly, ever since STAT became part of this LifeNet group, the whole, original concept of "saving lives" went out the window in order to make more money. I remember how Air 1 and Air 2 could be pulled from a transport job for a scene job - but this doesn't happen anymore. Talking with pilots, Medics and other former WestComm dispatchers like me, we've all noticed that it became more about the money then the patients - and it is very sad. I hope this doesn't happen, but I am sure it will.

Hopefully all of the great pilots and crew members are able to find work quickly and don't suffer financially from this poor choice.

This is the whole problem with EMS all together. It's a business not a civil service so it will always be about the $$$$$. Thats why the pay is low the benefits lower and the penny pinching high. The bosses have to make those Lexus payments ya know. :lol:

this is a terrible idea... that copter went on many calls and saved many lives. They do not realize that by taking the copter away. It is not only worrying local officials but it is worrying many civilians also

Scaring civilians? Really? Where? Most citizens don't even know about their local agencies lone less air medical services. Also this will just cause agencies to adjust. I feel for the interfacility transports where they make up crucial time for some procedures where getting a transport bus will take too long.

Man what will I have to teach and preach about now?

X635...valiant point. However it still comes down to funding and who would staff the bird and with how many. What will take priority job wise?

Look...Goose had a valid point...start with your agency and work up. Perhaps if reimbursement was better for scene jobs that would have helped, particularly for useless transports that weren't physiologically based.

My thoughts to some of my friends who I'll be reaching out to hoping they aren't losing their jobs that they love.

I think it sucks to totaly shut down the Westchester unit. They should at least run it on weekends where it has been proven to be a busy system in the Orange / Rockland / Ulster / Sullivan areas

Scaring civilians? Really? Where? Most citizens don't even know about their local agencies lone less air medical services. Also this will just cause agencies to adjust. I feel for the interfacility transports where they make up crucial time for some procedures where getting a transport bus will take too long.

Man what will I have to teach and preach about now?

X635...valiant point. However it still comes down to funding and who would staff the bird and with how many. What will take priority job wise?

Look...Goose had a valid point...start with your agency and work up. Perhaps if reimbursement was better for scene jobs that would have helped, particularly for useless transports that weren't physiologically based.

My thoughts to some of my friends who I'll be reaching out to hoping they aren't losing their jobs that they love.

ALS, my friend, this is EXACTLY what you were referring to and prophesizing about in the Somers thread.

Perhaps now we can standardize those ALS protocols so ANY medic (whether in cool jumpsuit uniform or NOT) can do everything for the pt. up to and INCLUDING the almighty RSI???

Induction is right, BTW... not intubation. I'm so grateful for that clarification...

Ok now I am assuming they are getting rid of the helicopter it self. What happens to it? Will it be a back up or sold?? What about the crews??? Doesnt that mean more people less seats???? I personally dont like it. Because to many times thier are back to back serious calls these days. A couple of weeks ago FOUR Helicopters ONE job. They called a Medivac from New Jersey. Where will the next one be from Maine????? Or Farther?????? Best of luck to everyone who is effected by this. Be Safe Brothers and Sisters.

Thomas

I'm sorry to hear that some brothers and sisters will be losing jobs but I honestly never saw the need for a third medevac in the Hudson Valley with the vast number of flight resources available surrounding us.

From a business perspective - the perspective that we all need to factor in, especially in this day and age - it simply is not cost effective to maintain the helicopter in Westchester. I am sure that LifeNet analyzed this from not only the business angle but others as well and this is their decision, they have no mandate to keep a ship based in Westchester. They will still respond to Westchester when necessary, it will just make the response time a few minutes longer - and make our discussions about the appropriate use of medevacs even more applicable since new response times will have to be factored into the transport decision.

We still have more medevac options than a lot of other areas - Lifeguard and LifeNet (Orange County), LifeNet (Sullivan County), NorthStar and the other private operation in NJ (sorry the name escapes me right now), Nassau, Suffolk, LifeStar (Connecticut), State Police out of Albany, MedFlight out of Albany, and so on. Push comes to shove, the NYPD will do limited medevacs also.

As for the Westchester County PD doing medevac work, thanks for the thought and for trying to give me more job security but we're a law enforcement and limited fire/rescue operation. Sure, Bell 407's can be used for medevac work but we are not configured as an air ambulance and with all our other mission requirements it is simply not feasible or practical. I would much rather see local police and fire departments use us appropriately for the missions we can do now than try to add another highly specialized mission to our repertoire. That would keep us busy enough! To those who pointed out our limited staffing and availability, you're right. We are not a 24 hour operation and we do have limited personnel but (thankfully) we don't need to be. Of course we could use more personnel and that's being worked on.

As for LifeNet's disposition of the aircraft based in Westchester, it will probably be put back into their fleet as a spare or relocated to another station in need. It is one of the older ships unless I've loss track of which one is there now. If personnel are losing their jobs that sucks but hopefully they'll be absorbed into other areas where LifeNet operates.

Goose, the divine intervention and remarkable planetary alignment to which you're referring is not as far-fetched as you may believe. Many local agencies in the County were involved with the decision to utilize grant funds to acquire the County's new Bell 407. It can be done, it just has to be presented right (factual not emotional, reasonable not excessive, etc. etc. etc.).

I'm sorry to see them go they were a real fixture in Westchester for many years but given the economy I certainly understand the rationale for LifeNet's decision.

To those who pointed out our limited staffing and availability, you're right. We are not a 24 hour operation and we do have limited personnel but (thankfully) we don't need to be. Of course we could use more personnel and that's being worked on.

When WCPD aviation is not staffed, are the pilots and crew available on call in a reasonable timeframe?

Also, I'm not really saying that WCPD should run a full-out medevac, just be available if need presents. I'm also saying that if Westchester were to determine a need for a medical helicopter, WCPD should be the one to run the program.

And how come we can justify and fund a program like Starflight here in Austin, but not in Westchester???

STAR Flight is the only 24/7 aerial emergency medical service in Texas that performs highly specialized emergency response services, including, emergency medical transport, still and swift-water rescue, search and rescue, high angle rescue, fire suppression/aerial reconnaissance, and law safety assistance.

http://www.starflightrescue.com/

We have a police helicopter too, but they just deal with crime issues.

Lives should never be based on business decisions, but sadly, that's the way it is.

When WCPD aviation is not staffed, are the pilots and crew available on call in a reasonable timeframe?

Also, I'm not really saying that WCPD should run a full-out medevac, just be available if need presents. I'm also saying that if Westchester were to determine a need for a medical helicopter, WCPD should be the one to run the program.

And how come we can justify and fund a program like Starflight here in Austin, but not in Westchester???

http://www.starflightrescue.com/

We have a police helicopter too, but they just deal with crime issues.

Lives should never be based on business decisions, but sadly, that's the way it is.

Yes, an aircrew can be recalled for emergency assignments. "Reasonable" is in the eye of the beholder - I wish we could be airborne instantly but response times will vary due to a variety of things including the nature of the request.

Government is a business and decisions have to be made intelligently using a risk vs. benefit, cost vs. benefit analysis. I agree that it would be nice to make more emergency services resources available but it is just too expensive and can not be justified.

does any one have any factual numbers on where stat flight responds annually between putnam, rockland, westchester, dutchess, etc. ?

Makes business sense to me.

We still have more medevac options than a lot of other areas - Lifeguard and LifeNet (Orange County), LifeNet (Sullivan County), NorthStar and the other private operation in NJ (sorry the name escapes me right now), Nassau, Suffolk, LifeStar (Connecticut), State Police out of Albany, MedFlight out of Albany, and so on. Push comes to shove, the NYPD will do limited medevacs also.

The other private company is Atlantic Air 1. I have also heard of SouthStar (NJSP Southern Region) and PennStar (Pennsylvania) coming up in Orange County

I may be wrong but I believe Life Star or North Star in CT also just a short time ago cut one of their ships also. I guess when the insurance company doesn't pay the bill for the txp they have to recoup the cash somehow. It just sucks.

It's a loss that we'll all feel. I know that at one time the state police helicopter had to be a choice of last resort in that the state does not compete with private companies. When response times get longer, I don't know if that changes.

I wonder if Hudson Valley Hospital no longer having helicopter landing capability played into the decision to drop service in the area. Who really knows what helicopter resources we have left and what response times we might expect to Westchester and Putnam? It is what it is, but we need to have a good working model of what the options are now.