Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Yonkers- Working Fire 7-25-09 (PHOTOS)

21 posts in this topic

Incident Alert: http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=32915

There wasn't much to see firewise, since Yonkers FD had flames showing upon arrival and had it knocked down really quickly. It took me a while to get there from Texas..joking......I was coming from Station 11 where I had just photographed the new Collapse Rescue for a future photo spread on this site. I also didn't have much time to spend there.

I was REALLY impressed with the positioning of Ladder 74. That's the textbook situation why Yonkers spec'd their rearmounts (HME/Smeal 100') the way they did. The house was VERY difficult to access from the front, actually all expoures, and had a very steep roof. Access to the roof was made via ground ladders, with the aerial being used as safety given the unusual and grade of the roof. Yonkers made an EXCELLENT stop considering the amount of fire on arrival.

Also, bear in mind I usually don't buff fires, unless I'm in the right place at the right time, which I was. So I'm not very experienced shooting fire scenes, and this one was again especially difficult given the terrain and landscape, but I did my best. I really wanted to show you guys Ladder 74 the most.

It was a very calm scene, with a TON of manpower. I almost felt like it was a drill. It was also good to see old friends from Yonkers at this incident....truly professionals- Fire, EMS, and PD.

This is one of 17 photos that I am going to post from this incident

post-11-1248724252.jpg

MORE PHOTOS TO FOLLOW!

post-11-1248724332.jpg

post-11-1248724341.jpg

post-11-1248724351.jpg

post-11-1248724364.jpg

post-11-1248724381.jpg

post-11-1248724583.jpg

post-11-1248724595.jpg

post-11-1248724609.jpg

post-11-1248724643.jpg

post-11-1248724653.jpg

post-11-1248724737.jpg

post-11-1248724746.jpg

post-11-1248724756.jpg

post-11-1248724714.jpg

post-11-1248724723.jpg

nice placement with the ladder. i love yonkers fd

Good shots, your first shot really sums up the situation well. It amazes me to see the truck like that and yet thats what their built to do.

Seth. Nice Job!

I like the picture of the ladder & Eng 304 It seems very odd the way it's set up but you go back to the 1st picture and it explains it all

I can see magizines wanting to use that photo

What do you Yonkers guys think of the jacking system on the Smeals?

Our spec called for 100% useability of the ladder at a 17% grade at the time they were the only bidder to meet the spec.

Nice pics Seth. I especially like the use of the folding ladder to access the turntable of L74.

I have a secret love of Trucks and setting them up, and like to learn as much about positioning it as possible. Thanks in advance for any info.

1. Was this done by way of using an Auto-Level or did the Chauffer do it the "old fashion" way?

2. Was the right rear outrigger on the sidewalk, and if so, did it crack or collapse at all?

Good job to the Truck Chauffer!

I have a secret love of Trucks and setting them up, and like to learn as much about positioning it as possible. Thanks in advance for any info.

1. Was this done by way of using an Auto-Level or did the Chauffer do it the "old fashion" way?

2. Was the right rear outrigger on the sidewalk, and if so, did it crack or collapse at all?

We don't have Chauffers, we have Drivers :rolleyes: .

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

The officers side rear outrigger was on a sturdy sidewalk, in the middle with the foot on a large outriggger plate.

I don't know about the auto level system, I know the older HME/Smeal's don't have them and the apparatus operators are trained to level them the old fashioned way, but someone mentioned the newer ones do have auto level. I'm sure someone from Yonkers can elaborate on this. Of course, the positioning of the truck was all on the apparatus operator and officer, who did a great job, and left room in the front of the building for TL-71 and the engine if need be.

I must also say that all apparatus that wasn't being actively used were parked out of the way. Engine 304 fed the primary handlines from one hydrant and positioned right behind L74 for an easy stretch, and E306 dropped a supply line from another hydrant at the opposite end of the street as a backup.

We don't have Chauffers, we have Drivers :rolleyes: .

I was going to say driver, but someone would of corrected me for that too! It's a no win situation for me!

This is one of the reasons why we purchased a Smeal in Port Chester. Our rig has an automatic leveling system and also can be set up manually for those tough setups.

In the first picture, I like the use of the toolbox as the origional step up to the turntable.