Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY Rescue 3 Getting A New Firehouse

25 posts in this topic

Apparently, Rescue 3 is getting a new, much needed new firehouse.

I knew nothing about this.

From Firenews.org

FDNY is constructing a new firehouse for Rescue 3 on Washington Ave in the Bronx. It is expected to be opened sometime in the fall. (photo by Brian Marquis).

PHOTO: http://www.firenews.org/misc/FDNYR3StanewUC.jpg

Any other new firehouses being built?

Construction had started well over a year ago, sits next to the ems station, its halfway there even though i havent passed by since February.

I was by there about a month ago (6/09). It is on Washington Ave near 172 St. It is next to EMS Station 18. About 4 blocks south of Cross Bronx Expressway and Eng 46/Lad 27s Quarters. When I was there it still looked like a lot of work was needed. They only had the steel framing up.

ill pass by tommorow and get a shot of its progress if anyone is intrested.

tried to get a shot of its side but this was the best i could do, any looks almost complete.

post-18231-1249148479.jpg

They sure don't build'em like they used to....... -_-

I'm glad that there are new houses being built in NYC, but why are they going with such radical designs???? I though the idea of a "firehouse" was to fit into the neighborhood? They can do energy efficient buildings that way can't they??

Just a personal observation nothing more and I hope the buildings have a long life span like their predecessors.

Thanks for the pictures "Anesti". Its changed quite a bit since I was last by there a few weeks ago.

I am very happy for the members of Rescue 3 but the style I am not sure of yet.

Anesti, thanks for getting a couple of pictures. The first thing that popped into my mind seeing the new house was R. Lee Ermery from "Full Metal Jacket"......"Your so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece". Too many different angles going on, and as mentioned it doesn't blend into the neighborhood, but I guess as long as it serves it purpose.

Edited by grumpyff

Who the hell designs these firehouses?

Looks like half of the roof is squished....

What happened to brick?

Good luck to the boys with the new house... I hope the inside looks a little better! :P

what is the old rescue 3 quaters gunna be used for?

I agree, its good that they are getting a new house, but I like the old brick firehouse look better. I hope we never get a new firehouse!

I remember the old brick firehouse I worked in. I think it was built in 1896. It even had an old Hayloft that used to store the hay for the horses. In the basement were maybe 12" x 12" solid oak beams. No drive through bays. No central air conditioning and we had to make sure there was always water in the huge steam boiler. Sometimes we"d get a loud "Bang" from the old steam raditors. The old wooden single pain windows would rattle all night long on those cold nights. In the morning the frost would be on the outside AND the "Inside" of those windows. The kitchen was on the apparatus floor behind the rigs. If one rig went out, you got a bit of a "feed from the engine smoke" while eating your pork and beans. We had an Engine, a Ladder and a Rescue in that firehouse. They closed the Rescue Co., and shortly after the Ladder moved to the new firehouse. I was assigned to the Engine and we were the last to go. We ended up staying there for about a year. Then in 1995, I was working the night shift and the chief gave me the keys and said; "Lock the place up at 1800 hrs and go to your new home". None of us wanted to leave.

When we got to the new firehouse we pulled the rig in through the drive through bay. The cement floor was all newly painted. It didn"t even smell like a fire house. Inside the walls in the various rooms were covered with white sheetrock. It reminded me of being in a Doctors office rather than a Firehouse. It just wasn"t the same.

efdcapt115 likes this

I remember the old brick firehouse I worked in. I think it was built in 1896. It even had an old Hayloft that used to store the hay for the horses. In the basement were maybe 12" x 12" solid oak beams. No drive through bays. No central air conditioning and we had to make sure there was always water in the huge steam boiler. Sometimes we"d get a loud "Bang" from the old steam raditors. The old wooden single pain windows would rattle all night long on those cold nights. In the morning the frost would be on the outside AND the "Inside" of those windows. The kitchen was on the apparatus floor behind the rigs. If one rig went out, you got a bit of a "feed from the engine smoke" while eating your pork and beans. We had an Engine, a Ladder and a Rescue in that firehouse. They closed the Rescue Co., and shortly after the Ladder moved to the new firehouse. I was assigned to the Engine and we were the last to go. We ended up staying there for about a year. Then in 1995, I was working the night shift and the chief gave me the keys and said; "Lock the place up at 1800 hrs and go to your new home". None of us wanted to leave.

When we got to the new firehouse we pulled the rig in through the drive through bay. The cement floor was all newly painted. It didn"t even smell like a fire house. Inside the walls in the various rooms were covered with white sheetrock. It reminded me of being in a Doctors office rather than a Firehouse. It just wasn"t the same.

Great post...very vivid....thanks!

Hmm good to see a new house but yes they should go with the old look, i hope the kitchen table is going to move with them!!

The worst part is a new house that will have the same roof leaks like the old one! DDC is the worst General Contractor in the world!

Great post. I have the good fortune of working in one of the Bronx's 100+ year old firehouses. While the paint is chipping, the floors are cracked, we have about 25 window air conditioners and we too have to add water to the old steam boiler, I'll take it any day over something new. While I'm sure every new firehouse will be broken in and become a home, nothing could replace the character of a classic, not in my lifetime.

I heard they moved in this week? Any truth?

I heard they moved in this week? Any truth?

Yes, they moved in on Tuesday.

The worst part is a new house that will have the same roof leaks like the old one! DDC is the worst General Contractor in the world!

Unless you're post was to be sarcastic, DDC is not a contractor but stands for Department of Design and Construction, a city agency that oversees the building of all city owned buildings

Does anyone know what they're using the old Rescue 3 house for?