Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PCFD ENG58

Fair Weather (Port Chester) Engine 58

51 posts in this topic

It stopped raining this morning so engine 58 Port Chester was placed back in service today. This engine is two years overdue for replacment and is running on its last leg. The village garage is unable to locate any repair parts for the wipers that fall off when they are on. Things are normal in P.C.

Edited by PCFD ENG58

PCFD...sorry to hear. Is 58 the one with the open rear-cab that is used by the career staff? I dont know anything about Port Chester, but it just seems if a rig is in that bad of shape, it should be taken OOS for good or replaced. To take a rig out of service due to the weather conditions seems absurd to me. Its my understanding that PCFD has 2 engines that are used by the career members (58 & 59). What are the chances of the career members using one of the other engines until this issue can be solved? Im not trying to start a pissing match, but whats right is right.

When Engine 58 is out of service due to issues like this, what do the career staff do regarding response?

Maybe the village should send it to a fire apparatus service facility? If no parts can be found or modified from the thousands of other windshield wiper systems out there, then I'm sure there is a company that could fabricate the parts needed. And then look into a stock-program engine, for immediate delivery, like these:

http://www.crimson-fire.com/delivery.aspx?id=17018

And maybe the Pierce Contender Responder is a good choice for a one-man engine company:

http://www.contenderbypierce.com/products/responder.html

Seems to me that the career guys should be able to run one of the volly engines when it is needed. Everyone is there for the same goal to protect Port Chester and the surrounding communities.

There are plenty of places in the US where career guys in combo departments operate volly owned apparatus.

Also, looking at the front of E58 (the Grumman right?) it has a pair of standard tourbus windshield (pantographic) wipers on it.... MCI, Prevost, etc. all operate with these wipers and I can't imagine that replacements cant be found.

Bus Parts Site

Edited by mfc2257

Didn't one of the volly houses just get a new Pierce? Ironic.

PCFD...sorry to hear. Is 58 the one with the open rear-cab that is used by the career staff? I dont know anything about Port Chester, but it just seems if a rig is in that bad of shape, it should be taken OOS for good or replaced. To take a rig out of service due to the weather conditions seems absurd to me. Its my understanding that PCFD has 2 engines that are used by the career members (58 & 59). What are the chances of the career members using one of the other engines until this issue can be solved? Im not trying to start a pissing match, but whats right is right.

NO Comment !

There are plenty of places in the US where career guys in combo departments operate volly owned apparatus.

The residents of the village of Port Chester own those rigs, so how about they get to the scene, no matter WHO is behind the wheel.

Also, looking at the front of E58 (the Grumman right?) it has a pair of standard tourbus windshield (pantographic) wipers on it.... MCI, Prevost, etc. all operate with these wipers and I can't imagine that replacements cant be found.

Not to mention KME, Ferrara, HME, pre-2008 Sutphen, older (or current "low-end") Spartan, etc., in terms of fire apparatus. That's a VERY common design! Definitely hard to imagine that parts (or straight-out replacements) can't be found somewhere.

At least the blades are still standing straight up and parallel....and not starting to point toward each other like many a new KME seem to be doing lately. That's gotta cause problems with visibility sooner or later.

As for PCFD.....maybe they can make arrangements to get their hands back on a certain Mack to use as a spare for a little while? Or maybe not. ;):D

Not to mention KME, Ferrara, HME, pre-2008 Sutphen, older (or current "low-end") Spartan, etc., in terms of fire apparatus. That's a VERY common design! Definitely hard to imagine that parts (or straight-out replacements) can't be found somewhere.

At least the blades are still standing straight up and parallel....and not starting to point toward each other like many a new KME seem to be doing lately. That's gotta cause problems with visibility sooner or later.

As for PCFD.....maybe they can make arrangements to get their hands back on a certain Mack to use as a spare for a little while? Or maybe not. ;):D

believe i saw 3 career members on 59 the other day, not sure if they were training, or that is a temporary staffing assignment?

believe i saw 3 career members on 59 the other day, not sure if they were training, or that is a temporary staffing assignment?

Yes very temporary and Engine 58 was o/s, full shift all on Engine 59

At the risk of stirring some poo-poo, can PCFD use E14, leaving L30 for the RBFD guys to use?

And honestly, do you really want to go out in the rain? :D

A certain 1957 Mack??? If that is what you're referring to, as long as they took an insurance rider out on it, I'd loan it out in a heartbeat for active service so questions asked. It fits three across the bench so the entire career shift could sit.... it still meets Class A pumper spec's and the wipers do indeed work!!!! I'm not sure L&T has finished putting the new canvas on the roof frame, so I can't say that they'd stay dry.... But they would be able to see through the windshield!

A certain 1957 Mack??? If that is what you're referring to, as long as they took an insurance rider out on it, I'd loan it out in a heartbeat for active service so questions asked. It fits three across the bench so the entire career shift could sit.... it still meets Class A pumper spec's and the wipers do indeed work!!!! I'm not sure L&T has finished putting the new canvas on the roof frame, so I can't say that they'd stay dry.... But they would be able to see through the windshield!

While your '57 Mack would be incredible to see on the streets of PC, I think he is referring to the 1981 Mack CF that was with PCFD but now with the Catskill Fire Cats.

picture here:

http://public.fotki.com/lfd171/westchester...62_retired.html

Edited by bvfdjc316

Ang, Whats the status of the ordering process for the new 58? Was it ever bid out or approved?

Ang, Whats the status of the ordering process for the new 58? Was it ever bid out or approved?

NO, NO ,And NO ,but very close as I am told. Truck comm. in place bid specs in place and active for over two years now. Money is in place just plan old bull $hit !!!!!!!!!!! in place !

While your '57 Mack would be incredible to see on the streets of PC, I think he is referring to the 1981 Mack CF that was with PCFD but now with the Catskill Fire Cats.

picture here:

http://public.fotki.com/lfd171/westchester...62_retired.html

Actually we/I Have both the 1981 CF and the 1957 B95 both ex eng 62's ready and willing !!

Truck comm. in place bid specs in place and active for over two years now.

Now I was always curious- do the PCFD career firefighters have career officers, or are they under the volunteer officers? And who is in the truck comittee that specs what you will be using?? Also, will the specs be designed for a one man operation (additional backup cameras, electric valves, etc)

It stopped raining this morning so engine 58 Port Chester was placed back in service today. This engine is two years overdue for replacment and is running on its last leg. The village garage is unable to locate any repair parts for the wipers that fall off when they are on. Things are normal in P.C.

Next time I come down for a visit, I could bring my squeegee and act as the "wiper". :D

Now I was always curious- do the PCFD career firefighters have career officers, or are they under the volunteer officers? And who is in the truck comittee that specs what you will be using?? Also, will the specs be designed for a one man operation (additional backup cameras, electric valves, etc)

We have no officers on the career side, hell I don't listen to myself sometimes and we have our own truck comittee in which I am head of. We will release the details when ready to do so, as not to screw up the works but I think you will like it.

I know you have been giving alot of long hard hours towards this for a long time. With your truck background, we all know the great truck that is going to be built. Due to my injury, I havent been around to hear the latest news about the new rig. As part of the committe for L31, I know first hand about the kind of delays that are happening to youn from the village. You guys are well overdue for this, but the end is near. Just be happy that this wont be another GOOD HUMOR truck!

Yes, it was the ex-E62 1981 CF to which I was referring.

C'mon, putting the Engine out of service for Rain? Firefighters are supposed to be able to make due with almost anything.

Get some string, two pulleys attached to each outside mirror, and back in to the drivers seat. When it rains, just pull the string back and forth and the wipers will move back and forth.

No Problem. ;)

At the risk of stirring some poo-poo, can PCFD use E14, leaving L30 for the RBFD guys to use?

And honestly, do you really want to go out in the rain? :D

Didnt even think of that. Your smart :lol: ... Rye Brook probably wouldnt enjoy that though. Rain has nothing on E-59, it kicks mother-nature in the face. :P

Wait....the career guys are not allowed to drive the "volley rigs"???????

Isnt one of the ladders manned by a career man?

C'mon, putting the Engine out of service for Rain? Firefighters are supposed to be able to make due with almost anything.

Get some string, two pulleys attached to each outside mirror, and back in to the drivers seat. When it rains, just pull the string back and forth and the wipers will move back and forth.

No Problem. ;)

Mirrors, we don't need no frekken mirror's If it moves duck tape it,if it doesn't WD-40 it !

Edited by PCFD ENG58

Wait....the career guys are not allowed to drive the "volley rigs"???????

Isnt one of the ladders manned by a career man?

NO ! and NO !

Edited by PCFD ENG58

NO ! and NO !

REDICULOUS!

What is the rationale behind that!?

Both ladders are operated by volunteers and neither has a pump. Eng 62 should have been kept as a spare until a new career rig was purchased. Just my 2 cents. We have 7 engines why 1 couldn't be tempoarily used is not my decision.

I may have missed this, but does Port Chester have a spare engine?

I mean, there are some departments in Westchester that only have 2 engines and still have a spare.