Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SWS1

Georgetown, CT FD - 2007 Isuzu Support Service Unit

10 posts in this topic

Truck outfitted by: Specialty Warning Systems

http://www.specialtywarningsystems.com

The Georgetown CT Fire Department has taken delivery of a 2007 Isuzu box truck, designed as a support services unit, which replaces a Chevrolet delivery van that was donated to the department in the early 90s. As a mobile "warehouse", it's primary function is to transport support, rehab and supplemental equipment to fire, weather related, Haz Mat, MCI and long term operation scenes.

The LED warning system incorporates a Whelen Freedom lightbar, two 600 Supers in the front, two M4s and two 900 series Supers on each side, eight LIN6s on the rear and an eight head linear Traffic Advisor above the rear doors. A CenCom Gold and single 100 watt siren speaker complete the system. Whelen M9 scenelights were installed on each side to provide perimeter lighting while M6 backup lights above the rear step bumper were configured to function as both reverse lights and rear flood lighting.

For low light operations, Gor-Lite LED compartment lighting strips were installed in each of the eight side compartments and additional M6 backup light was installed in the rear of the box body roof to provide additional lighting over the rear step and bumper. A Kussmaul Auto Charge system with shoreline Auto Eject and LED indicator also provides 110V power inside the body for portable radio bank chargers, rehab equipment, computers etc. by way of portable or apparatus generators or accessible building power.

As the truck was a stock unit, a custom enclosure was fabricated inside the truck body to contain and protect the CenCom ARM, electronics, wiring, LED flasher and battery charger.

The exterior graphics layout incorporates gold leaf lettering, department maltese, GFD Fire Police and CT EMS patches, reflective striping and a diamond grade safety chevron applied to the outside and inside of the rear cargo doors.

Specialty Warning Systems appreciates the confidence Georgetown placed in us in providing their new support unit and looks forward to other projects in the future.

http://www.specialtywarningsystems.com

post-7323-126378236173.jpg

post-7323-126378240134.jpg

post-7323-126378241921.jpg

post-7323-126378244183.jpg

post-7323-126378247589.jpg

post-7323-126378251865.jpg

post-7323-126378254329.jpg

post-7323-126378255129.jpg

Photos by Specialty Warning Systems

x635 likes this

Seems like a great simple truck. A stock unit probably saved quite a bit of cash. What was the final price?

Edited by TL2L31

Seems like a great simple truck. A stock unit probably saved quite a bit of cash. What was the final price?

Excellent point, simple, and hopefully effective.

Best of luck with this vehicle!

Excellent job and thanks for the photos! Funny, I was just thinking the other day if departments would consider using non-US chasis for their apparatus. I hear very good things about some of the foreign brands, heck, a lot of them are built here in America.

Funny, I was just thinking the other day if departments would consider using non-US chasis for their apparatus. I hear very good things about some of the foreign brands, heck, a lot of them are built here in America.

NRFD has a 2009 Isuzu that is being outfitted to replace our MCI unit (and move Mass Decon from a trailer). We ordered a GMC (which is made in Japan)it was built and loaded on a ship in Kobe. We were advised that we could not take delivery because a federal bankrupcy court determined that GMC could no longer sell it. If we wanted we could have the Isuzu that was on the same ship and had the same vin # (it was the same truck). It does not turn into GMC or Isuzu until it gets to Baltimore.

x635 likes this

just wait until you need to get any parts for it $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Isuzu is not going away. And if GM needs the cash they will sell Isuzu.

When is the last time you priced parts for an EOne, Pierce or and fire apparatus for that matter. any Diesel engine parts are expensive I don't care who makes it.

Good luck with the vehicle. I wonder how much money was saved by purchasing a "stock" vehicle over ordering custom and then having to wait for it to be built.

Great idea putting the chevrons on the inside of the doors. Something I never thought of but makes a lot of sense considering that the doors area usually open on a scene and cover the chevrons that are there for visibility to start with.

Outstanding Job, In looking over the pictures i see a lot of subtle details and little things that make a huge difference to the customer. Overall a very nice job, and i sgree with the above post about the chevrons on the doors, youd be surprised how many people dont think to do that. Best of luck with the new delivery.

In response to the multiple statements about ordering stock to save money, i agree, this was a very smart move on the departments end, and i can probably guess they saved a very nice chunk of change. Congrats on a job well done.