Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Heard over the air -- you can't make this stuff up

44 posts in this topic

60 Control (60): 45 medic 2

45 Medic 2 (45M2): ic 2

60: okay you cut out before, are you available?

45M2: Yeah, I'm flattered I'm married, but I'm in service

60: Eleven eighteen hours

45M2 -- press the button and wait for the beep before speaking (VERY FUNNY)

60: -- very professional (in case tapes ever get into the media's hands), but please tell me you were laughing on the inside

Medic 2 r u available 201001271012-12158.mp3 - 0.32MB

One of the biggest mistakes I ever made in my earlier years, was asking another member over the air to not forget to pick up a certain cooking item. Got my chops busted about that for ten years......

Another knucklehead brother (just retired recently after over three decades of dedicated service) did a Plectron test count in Italian once...

Guys transmit "attitudes" over the air constantly...

45M2 has forever made an indelible mark on the audio transcripts. I guarantee you she/he will be hearing about it for a very very long time.

Years ago at a certain "animal house mentality" type police department, which has completely changed it's ways BTW, the radio was incredibly full of in-house political commentary. Open mikes tapping on the dashboard were a staple of these transmissions. Sometimes it went on for minutes. If the sectors didn't like what somebody was saying, they let them know about it; quite blatantly.

Times have changed. Now THEY know who is keying up...

I'm not going to judge the comment's appropriateness, however it was quite witty imho.

The boss might have something to say about it, might not. Chance you take.

Sometimes it depends on who you are; if you're on the A Team or the B Team as many jobs are split.

Sometimes it's in the timing. Dead day, dead air.......

I told the story already about the city fire officer who upon arrival at a fire said "10-84, 10-75 the box and a very Merry Christmas to you too Bronx..."

Rare.

Sometimes a classic.

Sometimes, as in my case; ammo against you.

One of the biggest mistakes I ever made in my earlier years, was asking another member over the air to not forget to pick up a certain cooking item. Got my chops busted about that for ten years......

I once thought it would be a good idea to sing over the PA to an attractive girl who was flagging at a construction site. My partner who was driving started laughing uncontrollably and I quickly (but not quick enough) realized as I followed the mike cord back to the radio, that I had indeed just serenaded the local ER. As soon as I stopped we got a called via radio by the hospital: "St.George Ambulance, are you singing into your radio?" Needless to say, I still hear about it once in a while from some of the older timers telling the new kids old stories. In fact for about a year, my paychecks had "the Crooner" in between my fist and last names.

Anyway, I laughed at posted call, but I suspect appropriateness depends on the system, time, and circumstance.

Edited by antiquefirelt

At home over break I heard this:

Police desk to a mobile unit: "Your accident number is goin to be 8, that's 8 as in Ocho Cinco.

And the Other day at school:

"Eng 2 to Central, we'll be on air and available at Home Depot"

"Roger, on air and in service at Home De-Pot"

Engine company waiting over a half hour for EMS. "Engine 2XX To Brooklyn, Continuing Saga of Box 637.."

Me in my early days as a dispatcher and the nearing the end of my days in Lake Carmel. "17-7-1 to 40 Control, K" "10-8 from Putnam Hospital returning to quarters, K"

40 Control: "Recieved, 1427....LMNOP"

Best one I've heard was an APB put out by the State Police for two males: "Last seen at the York Toll Plaza northbound in the company of two large unattractive females". :blink:

Those 45 Medics are fun to work with on the radio. With a job that accompanies a lot of stress, it's good to have a little professional fun once and a while.

I once heard the DPW for my town singing "Oh Christmas Tree" over the DPW/PVAC Dispatch frequency. I have also been involved in a few calls where you pick up the PA to yell at someone outside the bus (ie: jackass who runs out in front of the bus) but by mistake pick up the county mic.

Those 45 Medics are fun to work with on the radio. With a job that accompanies a lot of stress, it's good to have a little professional fun once and a while.

Aren't you allowed to chuckle on air. This was so good but the WCDES dispatcher seemed to ignore it.

And *YES* the 45 Medics are tremendous people!

You should not be allowed to use the radio for anything but what you are profesionally supposed to use it for.

That is why all transmissions are recorded are recorded and if in court are used as evidence.

If yo are a proffessonal act like one.

That is coming from experience. I said the wrong thing once and had a written reprimand on my file.

You never know wno is listening especially the FCC or the DOC.

efdcapt115 and jd783 like this

Best one I've heard was an APB put out by the State Police for two males: "Last seen at the York Toll Plaza northbound in the company of two large unattractive females". :blink:

Years ago when I was working upstate, I heard a robbery in one of the worst parts of the city broadcast over the PD frequency "units in the area of XXXXX, armed robbery just occurred, two males, usual description". That probably would result in a firing these days...

One of the best radio exchanges ever can be found on Youtube between Simsbury PD and Hartford PD on the hotline:

One of the best radio exchanges ever can be found on Youtube between Simsbury PD and Hartford PD on the hotline:

Good move in that situation lol

In these days of "plain language" on the radio, its too easy to speak your mind on the radio. I was out on the highway one night during a major snowstorm, stopped at an MVA with injuries. I was the only emergency vehicle at the scene and visibility and road conditions were poor. I watched 2 State troopers drive right past the accident scene within 5 minutes of each other, and no one was stopping to assist. I radioed in and asked the dispatcher to "Let the State know that I'm not out here with my emergency lights on just for the hell of it." The dispatcher laughed, but I realized later I let my frustrations get the better of me for a couple of seconds and let everyone know how frustrated I was.

On 1-1-2010 at about 12:45 AM Pleasantville Ambulance was toned out for a call. On the initial page out the dispatcher said, "Pleasantville PD to the PVAC Duty Poop (quick correction to) Crew" This was simply hilarious. Good thing for repeaters...I can relive it for years to come.

Edited by PFDRes47cue

This is from the PG County, MD forum on thewatchdesk.com They run so much action in the ghetto and on the DC border that funny stuff on the radio happens constantly whether or not its intentional humor or just the situation at hand.

PG County, MD Funny Radio Transmissions

Yea, I miss my PG County days. But no more ghetto EMS for me anymore. I've "retired" to Paramedic heaven up here.

"Unit **** to Communications, radio check please?"

"Communications to unit ****, Eeny, meeny, miny, moeh, how do you copy this radio?"

And there is the oft told of but what I haven't actually heard ambulance call where two off duty PD were sent to an injured person call where they were being shot at.

'Ambulance *** to communications, we're taking fire, returning the same..."

"Unit **** to Communications, radio check please?"

"Communications to unit ****, Eeny, meeny, miny, moeh, how do you copy this radio?"

And there is the oft told of but what I haven't actually heard ambulance call where two off duty PD were sent to an injured person call where they were being shot at.

'Ambulance *** to communications, we're taking fire, returning the same..."

From further down that page on TWD.com

"Ambulance 389 (Chapel Oaks). There were two off duty DC cops riding the unit. They took gun fire (which back in the day was not really that unusual) and called communications. While he was talking to them you could hear the gun shots going off in the background. The second time he keyed up with the second signal 13, the gun shots were much louder and he advised " A-389 to communications were are now returning fire". Communications very clearly and calmly said okay A389, shots fired ........... your returning same, PD is enroute."

A few years ago, a police officer within NYS wrote a phantom summons to Santa Claus, who can now be found in the NYS DMV computer. Every Christmas, the guys at work end up running Santa over the air.

Sector: xxAdam to Central

Central: xxAdam

Sector: Central show me with a sleigh stop xxxxx Avenue and East xxx Street, can you run a NYS Client ID xxx-xxx-xxx.

Central: xxAdam, be advised client ID comes back valid to Santa Claus, 1 North Pole Way, North Pole, NY. Do you need any further?

Sector: Negative, warned and admonished on the sleigh stop

Another classic, especially over NYC Citywide...

Sector: Chewy, on the air Chewy?

Chewbacca responds with the classic Chewbacca growl....

I can't mention names or identifiers on here but here ya go:

Responding on the odor of gas

Chief: XX-X-X to Control

Control: Control is on

Chief: XX-X-X on scene, nothing showing

And a bunch of firemen laughing on the truck

Edited by PC_420

Recently, Orange County began the switch their identifier from 36-Control to Orange 911. Shortly after this began, a chief on scene at a structure fire calls them.

XXX-1 to 36-Con....what the hell are they calling themselves now?...Oh, XXX-1 to Orange 911.

Unit : Portable check central.

Central : 5 by 5 unit, how do you read central?

Unit : Like a book central.

Chief- C-xxxx to 60-contorl

60- C-xxxx

Chief- 60, be advised, wires are down nd blocked off, I'm releasing my engine, and holding myself awaiting con-ed

60- 10-4 chief. You are releasing E-xx, and I have you holding your self, and are awaiting con-ed.. ( With laughing in the back around)

20 mins goes by

Chief- C-xxxx to 60 contorl.

60- C-xxxx

Chief- 60, I'm still holding myself, do you have an ETA on Con-ED

60- K, stand by

60- C-xxxx Con-ed made aware of your situation, 10-15 min ETA.( Still laughing in the back round)

A funny one I heard a few weeks ago was a structure fire in Northern Westchester...The identifiers are being withheld to protect the guilty hahaha.

Chief....."XXXX to 60 Control, be advised we are totally out of control here at this time."

60 Control....Recieved Chief

I couldn't believe it when I heard it, but I checked with some of my friends that were on scene and they heard it too.

Cant make this stuff up

131PFD likes this

A funny one I heard a few weeks ago was a structure fire in Northern Westchester...The identifiers are being withheld to protect the guilty hahaha.

Chief....."XXXX to 60 Control, be advised we are totally out of control here at this time."

60 Control....Recieved Chief

I couldn't believe it when I heard it, but I checked with some of my friends that were on scene and they heard it too.

Cant make this stuff up

Classic! I also heard that.

I also like when someone pulls up on a CO investigation and reports "nothing showing."

I don't remember when/where it was or who said it, but we were out on a vessel in distress call once and someone said "It appears the Minnow has been lost, however the Skipper and Gilligan are doggy-paddling back to shore."

Edited by Remember585

Units responding to CO-No symptoms call in Unamed location.

Car2 to Dispatch on Location nothing showing investigating.

Dispatch - Car 2 your on scene NOTHING showing at ****

Car 1 to Dispatch, Sorry about that I'm on scene also....

Another famous one...

Dept. 1 responding to a water condition

Engine ?? to Dispatch responding...

Dispatch - E?? your responding at ****

E?? to Dispatch on scene standing by a hydrant>>>

Dispatch - E?? your on scene of the water condition standing by the hydrant at ****

All Identifers withheld to keep this thread alive!!!