Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M' Ave

Member Ratings

46 posts in this topic

I like the member rating feature. It helps to highlight who may or may not be a sound source of information.

Couple of guys getting close to 100, who's going to be first?! :unsure:

However, I was thinking it might be nice if giving someone a rating was not anonymous. Let someone know who you are when you give them an atta-boy and, likewise, when you criticize. I think everyone can take some criticism and this might help avoid vindictive negetives.

Anyone's thoughts?

x635 and xfirefighter484x like this

I see there is no "negative"rating anymore,or is it just me who can't leave a negative ?

I wouldn't mind being able to see who left you the ratings.

Also, I do believe that there should still be a (-) rating button for members to use.

Edited by gpdexplorer

If enough members feel strongly enough about it, I may be able to set it up to see who repped you. Please give me input on this thread and I will make a decision with the staff.

Negative reputation points are gone, I just didn't see the value of them.

If enough members feel strongly enough about it, I may be able to set it up to see who repped you. Please give me input on this thread and I will make a decision with the staff.

Seth, depending on everyone's input and comfort level, you can add a check box that allows you to remain anonymous when repping someone.

If people want to be known when they rate someone, they can put their name in the comments

If people want to be known when they rate someone, they can put their name in the comments

I don't think it should be a choice. I think you should own up.

I don't think it should be a choice. I think you should own up.

Excellent point.

Yes, I agree...too many people hide behind screen names when speaking up or criticizing others in these forums. I believe its time to stand behind your comments to others, both positive and negative. Isnt that a big part of learning? Being able to take critisism and learn from it in a good way.

Im all for it.

so is negative gone or not??? I see it looks like it is back but I don't see a need or use for it.

Hey, there's been some really great IA's lately. These members should be recognized for this valuable work, and rep points would be a good way of doing it, IMO. Thanks to all of you writing these IA's.

So what is new found point for negative points?

I see no need and they can easily turn into a way to get back at some one and eventually turn into a personal attach issue. We had this on a different forum I was on.

SRS131EMTFF likes this

Hey, there's been some really great IA's lately. These members should be recognized for this valuable work, and rep points would be a good way of doing it, IMO. Thanks to all of you writing these IA's.

Excellent point! I too encourage all members to give a positive rep to a member who writes a good incident alert (for each IA post)

I have recently been giving them out, keep your eyes peeled for it!!

Do you get notified when some rates you??? Negativelly or positivelly???

Thomas

efdcapt115 and 64FFMJK like this

Do you get notified when some rates you??? Negativelly or positivelly???

Thomas

Psssst..... Tommy,you're at minus 9! Lay low for a while, that whole Mobile Life thread killed you. When you asked the question, I thought no one was rating you, and I was going to offer to throw a negative your way every once in a while.... now I see that everyone else did before I could. :lol:

effd3918 likes this

What is the point of negative points. All they are doing is alowing personal atacks to go unpunished since even if you are corect about what you say if it offends some one they can just hit the minus at the botom of the post.

I thought they were gotten rid of but I guess not.

However, I was thinking it might be nice if giving someone a rating was not anonymous. Let someone know who you are when you give them an atta-boy and, likewise, when you criticize. I think everyone can take some criticism and this might help avoid vindictive negetives.

Anyone's thoughts?

I honestly never post anything with the intention of offending others, but truth be told if I do I don't lose any sleep over it. Arrogant? Yeah maybe, but I readily stand behind whatever I post and just believe that others should do the same as a matter of principle. As I see it the comments made here belong to those that post them and we are all free to express those views. But we should also be prepared to defend those opinions when we make them, including our opinions of each other, or we shouldn't post them in the first place. As adults we should take responsibility for our comments, after all we do own them. Having said that as expected I'm not a big fan of anonymous judgement from others, good or bad. I definitely agree that those who rate others should have to make themselves known when doing so and thus stand behind their judgements.

Cogs

Peter Cogliano

FF/T.O.

Belltown Fire Dept

Stamford, CT

At the risk of getting a few malicious negatives (like the ones I got when someone actually looked me up and then negatively rated a thread that I had started LAST YEAR), not that I care too much anyway, I'd like to come out and say that I think the whole membership rating system is nothing more than a popularity contest that contributes nothing to the board. The whole point to the board is to debate the issues; if you agree and would be inclined to rate a post or thread positive, you don't have to say anything other than "I agree." Conversely, if you disagree, and would be inclined to rate it negatively, then it just seems better to debate the issue.

calhobs and 64FFMJK like this

At the risk of getting a few malicious negatives (like the ones I got when someone actually looked me up and then negatively rated a thread that I had started LAST YEAR), not that I care too much anyway, I'd like to come out and say that I think the whole membership rating system is nothing more than a popularity contest that contributes nothing to the board. The whole point to the board is to debate the issues; if you agree and would be inclined to rate a post or thread positive, you don't have to say anything other than "I agree." Conversely, if you disagree, and would be inclined to rate it negatively, then it just seems better to debate the issue.

The same happened to me, its just popularity contest and a way for people to get even on post they dont like. I dont see any real purpose for it, but whatever, it is what it is.

64FFMJK likes this

As the only person (for right now) who can see who's rating who for what, it's pretty legit. I mnotior the system for abuse. The negative ratings aren't being made for personal grudges, and I am actively monitoring this.The posts people are getting negative ratings for is typically by several different members for a single post and I can judge it's legit. This system was to reconize great posts, but some members wanted a negative rep added and I am currently trying that out again.

Members should be able to obviously see the members with the highest ratings are making quality posts, and from what I see, the posts people are repping them for are, in fact, the quality posts they make.

FFLieu, I apologize I haven't gotten back to you, but I am aware and investigating.

Overall, I think the point system is working well. The system will be fine tuned as need, and there is more to come with the system as I have time to work on it and add some things. I have a enhancement for the reputation system that will allow for members to see who repped them, but I'm still working on getting some of the bugs out and considering policy for who can see what when.

If anyone has any issue with their rating, please feel free to email me at seth@emtbravo.com ,I will look into it and have a staff member or member(s) of this site make a judgement (on an anonymous basis).

The same happened to me, its just popularity contest and a way for people to get even on post they dont like.

Can you elaborate on someone "getting even with you"? This is the first I'm hearing of this, and looking at your rep history, it doesn't appear anyone is trying to "get even" with you. Also, I need to how you feel this is a popularity contest? How?

He's right, it is a popularity contest. The most popular posts and threads get the most reps.

Overall, I think the point system is working well.

Really? With so many people questioning the need for Negative points after you already did away with them once.

from what I see this is just one more way that people are turning things into a pissing match between 2 groups of firefighters that should be working together.

He's right, it is a popularity contest. The most popular posts and threads get the most reps.

Exactly. Popular posts and threads get the most reps. And most of the posts/members that do deserve them. However, since this thread, now some members are trying to stir the pot I see with the point system and I am in the process of banning those members from the rep system.

Really? With so many people questioning the need for Negative points after you already did away with them once.

from what I see this is just one more way that people are turning things into a pissing match between 2 groups of firefighters that should be working together.

How many is "so many" people are questioning the need for negative points? I see just as many for as not for.

Also, how is this, in any way, a "pissing match"? Can you please cite examples?

And don't blame us for creating a pissing match, we obviously promote working together, it's members like you who have to make it about choosing "sides" that cause "pissing matches".

I am not doing this point system maliciously, I try to do what's best for the forum. I strongly like this system, and the most knowledgeable members who make quality posts, or post good IA's or photos, are the ones that are getting the positive points. This is a good way to reconize them for that.I am still evalutating the negative point system as I stated earlier as requested by several members who asked me to give it a second chance.

Do away with the concept of positive and or negative ratings. Serves no purpose.

I think that the point system is beneficial to the forum. It encourages members to contribute positive, constructive posts. It also encourages some members to put a little more thought into their posts, and these posts should be recognized by other members of the forum. So far, the majority of the posts I have seen with positive rep points have been excellent posts, and well deserved by the poster.

The benefit I see to the negative rep point is it might keep certain posters "at bay" so to speak from posting certain things in the forum that could be construed at utterly ridiculous. I haven't seen too many negative rep points given out. I have been on the receiving end of a negative rep point for two of my posts, one which I can understand, but the other I felt wasn't necessarily warranted because my post was not in any way "ridiculous", but instead quite factual. But am I going to lose sleep over it? No, I have more important things to worry about in my life.

Perhaps the EMTBravo group can somehow design the negative rep point so in order for someone to give a negative rep point, the rater has to #1) Identify themselves, and #2) Describe why the negative rep point was issued to the member.

helicopper likes this

I don't think it's a bad thing, but does anyone really pay much attention to it? I didn't even know it existed, let alone that i had a -2 rating lol.

efdcapt115 likes this

I don't think people are trying to stir the pot, just offering their opinoins.