Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dwcfireman

Hawthorne Tractor Trailer Rollover

19 posts in this topic

At 5:48am on Saturday February 20th Hawthorne FD was dispatched to a fuild spill on 9a NB at County Police, Units Operating Car 2191, 2192, 2193 Eng 155 U-41, MPPD, County PD, Glens Towing. After the truck was taken away there was a major clean up because the truck was carrying garbage, to assist Glens Towing was Matthew Ortiz with his excavator. Here are some pictures........... Pictures were forwarded by HFD2198

post-16762-126671376268.jpg

post-16762-126671379143.jpg

post-16762-126671397114.jpg

post-16762-126671383041.jpg

post-16762-126671385956.jpg

post-16762-12667138901.jpg

post-16762-126671391135.jpg

post-16762-126671393681.jpg

Huge mess! The road has only a slight bend to the left there, it appears something happened with the steering that caused the tractor to flip.

Huge mess! The road has only a slight bend to the left there, it appears something happened with the steering that caused the tractor to flip.

The driver and 2 witnesses state that he was cut off by another car which made him lock up the breaks

should of put his tarp on. Would have been less of a mess.

I'm sure it was tarped. Doesn't make a difference when you lay one over though. The tarps are only designed to keep stuff from blowing out. It's not a cargo securement device.

Appears to be the same location as a fatal tractor trailer rollover and fire in September 1998 or 99.

Why did they have to shut down the opposite 2 lanes for a simple upright of a truck? Seems unprofessional to me and a little bit of an outdated technique. Glenns should get a bigger truck. Like the red one on the site here. Nice excavator :)

Why did they have to shut down the opposite 2 lanes for a simple upright of a truck? Seems unprofessional to me and a little bit of an outdated technique. Glenns should get a bigger truck. Like the red one on the site here. Nice excavator :)

Is it "unprofessional" for the fire service to block "extra" lanes for a safety buffer @ accident scenes? Please define how this practice by the tow companies is 'unprofessional'.

Also, an "outdated technique", what change/fix what isn't broken? If it's a tried and true method, why not use it?

Sorry im late on this one. Was the driver injured? I was confused as this is pretty much a straight section of Rt 9. But then i read that there were witnesses who stated the driver was cut off by another vehicle. Too bad this other vehicle couldnt be located and charged. Maybe let him/her pick up the tab for cleaning up this mess.

I see the truck was from Kephart trucking, which is out of PA i believe. I see these TT's all the time at the Wheelabrator garbage plant in Peekskill.

As for the method used to up-right the truck...i dont see any other way that would work. Its not an easy job, but this method has worked time and time again.

Amishff

It's not unprofessional to shut down the 2 southbound lanes. I think it's obvious that if you knew the Rte 9 or Saw Mill River rd area you would know how fast traffic runs by and I think Glenns towing knows what they have too do to right a tractor trailer loaded with garbage

Nice photos, and thanks for sharing!

I understand the towing roatation and contracts, and given Glenn's did they best they could with what they had. They probaly used the safest technique that worked the best for them given the capacity and spec of their wreckers. Obviously, if the PD called them for this job, they have the qualifications (Wreckmaster, TRAA Heavy Recovery certs) and equipment to handle this type of incident. I assume there is a difference between a heavy wrecker for a heavy duty tow vs. a heavy wrecker for a heavy duty recovery on rotatation lists and contracts.

And I'm sure 9A wasn't heavily trafficed at that time of morning, and Glenns worked as fast as they can to reopen lanes after they got the truck back on its wheels and got the truck out of there.

Also, you have companies like Stiloski's, in my own opinion, that are for example well suited for this job, and only minutes away. Stiloski's not only has a few heavy duty rotating boom wreckers, they also have their own large payloader and fleet of dump trucks- as well as support equipment suck as a traffic incident management and support vehicle. They specialize in this type of work and have a great deal of experience. But not every company can afford that type of equipment, training, or staff. Just my opinion.

There is a Tow rotation and Mt Pleasant only uses two Tow companies. The accident happened early Sat morn so the traffic was not as heavy as it would have been on a weekday! Glens does a fantastic job with tows. Fast and professional! As is Mark's Tow!

For those interested, check out this similar recovery using a different technique, call an "end roll".......those who watch "Wrecked: Life In The Crash Lane" have seen this tecnique used many times over the past two season of this TV series...

http://tow411.yuku.com/topic/80237/t/T-T-rolled-Trailer-end-rolled.html

** just my two cents as ive been in the towing and recovery world for about 10 years **

i think glens did a great job with the equipment they have....judging by the pictures of their trucks the red mack looks to be the capacity of anywhere from a 15 - 25 ton and the blue and white kenworth is anywhere from a 35 - 50 ton so they had pretty adequate equipment on the job although i wouldve swapped trucks to have the blue and white one up front picking up the weight of the trailer and tractor.

for those on this forum that dont know the area the location of this rollover is in a tight spot ....two lanes no left should and a descent right hand shoulder at that particular location so glens did the best he could and it worked out he had the length away from the rolled unit and the leverage and height adjustment to pick it.

in this type of situation with these recovery trucks i wouldve steered away from an end roll due to load weight and i know from experience these dont run legal all the time, a buddy of mine used to run garbage and he said if his loads were between 25-30 ton it was a light load.

on another note i think the photo's dwcfireman took are great but i wish i couldve seen more of the recovery or more angles of the wreck if it was possible to make a better judgement on the recovery.... as far as safety hands down glens went the best route they shut the highway down for the top reason safety , now everyone on this forum can agree we are all taught we are useless to help someone if we get hurt right ? not only for safety they gave themselves time to prep the recovery right without having to rush and cut corners and possibly have a failure during the recovery. on a lighter note of safety i would hope the IC took into consideration to not have his guys nor the recovery crew root around in the pile of garbage becuase who knows whats in it ....not everyone in this world heads to correct things to throw out in normal trash i.e. sharps , and other biohazard materials and whatnot.

as far as what seth said yea MPPD went by the rotation list for the recovery but i fully agree that stiloski's shouldve been called for the job .....with knowing his equipment and also being a former employee of stiloski's he deffinetly has the resources and the manpower to show with an army of wreckers , dump trucks , and payloaders to recover and clear the scene in a timely manner and im sure that if stiloski's was called all they wouldve needed was the northbound lanes to stay shut down with two rotators prefferably his 85ton and the new 75 ton quad steer i wouldve done an off-set end roll but thats just my 2 cents!!

Glens did a fantastic job with this, Glens only had the other side of the road blocked off for less then 10mins that morning. As for as more recovery pictures i have more comming for you im just haveing a hard time posting them because im new to this website and i can not post pictures yet thats why i had my friend post them for me, more pictures should be up hopfully by the end of the day today

** just my two cents as ive been in the towing and recovery world for about 10 years **

i think glens did a great job with the equipment they have....judging by the pictures of their trucks the red mack looks to be the capacity of anywhere from a 15 - 25 ton and the blue and white kenworth is anywhere from a 35 - 50 ton so they had pretty adequate equipment on the job although i wouldve swapped trucks to have the blue and white one up front picking up the weight of the trailer and tractor.

for those on this forum that dont know the area the location of this rollover is in a tight spot ....two lanes no left should and a descent right hand shoulder at that particular location so glens did the best he could and it worked out he had the length away from the rolled unit and the leverage and height adjustment to pick it.

in this type of situation with these recovery trucks i wouldve steered away from an end roll due to load weight and i know from experience these dont run legal all the time, a buddy of mine used to run garbage and he said if his loads were between 25-30 ton it was a light load.

on another note i think the photo's dwcfireman took are great but i wish i couldve seen more of the recovery or more angles of the wreck if it was possible to make a better judgement on the recovery.... as far as safety hands down glens went the best route they shut the highway down for the top reason safety , now everyone on this forum can agree we are all taught we are useless to help someone if we get hurt right ? not only for safety they gave themselves time to prep the recovery right without having to rush and cut corners and possibly have a failure during the recovery. on a lighter note of safety i would hope the IC took into consideration to not have his guys nor the recovery crew root around in the pile of garbage becuase who knows whats in it ....not everyone in this world heads to correct things to throw out in normal trash i.e. sharps , and other biohazard materials and whatnot.

as far as what seth said yea MPPD went by the rotation list for the recovery but i fully agree that stiloski's shouldve been called for the job .....with knowing his equipment and also being a former employee of stiloski's he deffinetly has the resources and the manpower to show with an army of wreckers , dump trucks , and payloaders to recover and clear the scene in a timely manner and im sure that if stiloski's was called all they wouldve needed was the northbound lanes to stay shut down with two rotators prefferably his 85ton and the new 75 ton quad steer i wouldve done an off-set end roll but thats just my 2 cents!!

So would Stiloski's like if another tow agency picked up one of their jobs on the Saw Mill? Glens was very capable as would have been Marks's who also have Heavy Duty Wreckers! I am sure if Glen didn't think he could handle it, he might have made such a suggestion of Stiloski's. He is that type of man!

JJB531 likes this

So would Stiloski's like if another tow agency picked up one of their jobs on the Saw Mill? Glens was very capable as would have been Marks's who also have Heavy Duty Wreckers! I am sure if Glen didn't think he could handle it, he might have made such a suggestion of Stiloski's. He is that type of man!

oneeyedmedic - first off i never once said that glens couldnt handle the job according to the post after mine they handled it pretty quickly and kudo's to them .... one thing i probably shoulve mentioned in my last post was different factors to the scene as in if PD wouldnt let them shut down the south bound lanes then then two HEAVIER wreckers or two rotators would be the best for the job ...simply becuase glens smaller truck the red mack doesnt have a heavy enough capacity to lift it from the rear cuase the further you extend that boom the less you can lift etc.

i just simply stated that resource wise stiloski's is the best for the job he has the necessary trucks to handle and the excess equipment to handle the clean-up quickly and efficiently he specializes in it he didnt buy all that equipment to let it sit there and look pretty especially the only fdny rescue he purposely outfitted to be a hazmat truck

oneeyedmedic - first off i never once said that glens couldnt handle the job according to the post after mine they handled it pretty quickly and kudo's to them .... one thing i probably shoulve mentioned in my last post was different factors to the scene as in if PD wouldnt let them shut down the south bound lanes then then two HEAVIER wreckers or two rotators would be the best for the job ...simply becuase glens smaller truck the red mack doesnt have a heavy enough capacity to lift it from the rear cuase the further you extend that boom the less you can lift etc.

i just simply stated that resource wise stiloski's is the best for the job he has the necessary trucks to handle and the excess equipment to handle the clean-up quickly and efficiently he specializes in it he didnt buy all that equipment to let it sit there and look pretty especially the only fdny rescue he purposely outfitted to be a hazmat truck

I need to play Devils Advocate on here as other people read my posts. Luckily I took off that night, but if Glen asked me to shut both lanes of North and South I would have done it. We have a good working realationship with Stiloski's on other levels. Wish we could add them to the tow rotation.

I have seen two tow trucks pick these trailers up from the front and back and simply flip it upright right where it stands. Ohare does it all the time with only 2 lanes blocked. Doing it with the method used in the picture there is no tag or safety line in place to stop it from coming right over too far or violently uprighting and rupturing something possibly causing further dameage or a hazmat spill. SAFETY FIRST and keeping the incident as small as possibly. Just my 2 Cents.