Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JM15

FFs in Tiny N.Y. Town Want Big Truck

31 posts in this topic

FFs in Tiny N.Y. Town Want Big Truck

Newsday, Melville, N.Y.

Posted: Tue, 02/23/2010 - 04:51

Feb. 22--Residents of Stewart Manor, a village of 718 households, will go to the polls March 1 to decide whether to borrow $405,000 to buy a new fire truck -- two years after the village spent $650,000 on another truck.

After controversy erupted among taxpayers last month over the proposed purchase, the village board last week decided to put the decision into voters' hands. Village officials now say they will buy the custom-built pumper truck only if a majority of voters approve.

The village of 0.2 square miles has two trucks -- one 20 years old and in need of an estimated $59,000 in repairs. The other was acquired new in 2008.

http://www.firehouse.com/topics/top-headlines/ffs-tiny-ny-town-want-big-truck

Interesting story. I however don't see them getting a new rig soon.

The new rig they received is a Ferrara Intruder2 Custom

Specs from Ferrara Sight:

http://www.ferrarafire.com/NewDeliveries/ND3_Ladders.html

H-3949 HD-77 Heavy Duty Rear Mount Aerial Ladder

Chassis: Ferrara Intruder 2 Custom Chassis, Medium length cab

Body: Heavy Duty Extruded Aluminum, Right Side EZ-Stack Hose Bed, Full Height Compartment Ahead of Right Rear Wheel; Left Rear EZ-Load Hose Tray

Aerial: 3-Section Rear Mount Ladder, Electric Actuated Positional Waterway, LED Blue Rung Lighting, 500 Pound Tip Load While Flowing 1250 GPM

Engine: Cummins ISL-400, 400 HP

Pump: Waterous CSU, Single Stage, 1500 Gals

Generator: 10 kW Onan Generator

Specialty Items: 6" Bumper Extension, Turtle Tile on all Compartment Floors and Shelves, 4 Wheel Well Air Bottle Compartments, Custom shelves & trays, PAC Trac tool board

Link to Stewart Manors other fire apparatus:

http://public.fotki.com/lfd171/nassau_county_fire/stewart-manor-fire/

Looks like they want to buy another custom new apparatus, as one of the individuals quoted in the article, with all of the bells and whistles.

Edited by bvfdjc316

Long island is known for the high class rigs and firehouses as a article in newsweek pointed out a few years ago. You can buy a rig, a rig with bells and whistles or you can buy the LI model. I am quoting the article now "they have over 400 heavey rescues on long island compared to 5 in the FDNY. But we all know you need a big new rig for the parade Sorry wrong thread

Long island is known for the high class rigs and firehouses as a article in newsweek pointed out a few years ago. You can buy a rig, a rig with bells and whistles or you can buy the LI model. I am quoting the article now "they have over 400 heavey rescues on long island compared to 5 in the FDNY. But we all know you need a big new rig for the parade Sorry wrong thread

And... IIRC, that same article stated that LI has more fire apparatus cumulatively than FDNY, LA City FD, and LA Co FD combined... interesting look at things...

Regionalization and Consolidation...

Oh wait, I forgot. They need one for the parade, and one to cover the district...

Edited by flyboy14295

Does anyone know how close the next firehouse is to Stewart Manor?

Here in Texas, we have a community with only 658 residents much similar to Stewart Manor except very hilly and rugged terrain- however they have a fully staffed 4 man career ALS Engine company as part of a regional fire department within 5-6 minutes of any residence or business. They just got a brand new engine as they try and do every 6-8 years. Truck company isn't far off. And taxes are much, much, much lower, and no debt, etc.

They better get it before the rapidly approaching parade season!

Bellrose Village Fire Department is 1.8 miles or 5 minutes away while New Hyde Park Fire Department is 1.4 miles or 2 minutes away from the Stewart Manor Fire Department.

Bellrose apparatus:

http://public.fotki.com/lfd171/nassau_county_fire/bellerose_fire/

New Hyde Park apparatus:

http://public.fotki.com/lfd171/nassau_county_fire/new-hyde-park-fire/

Stewart Manor's HME/Ferrara is definitely a sharp rig, in and of itself, but it is by NO means the stereotypical "Long Island parade pony". For that matter, neither are the TWO engines that Bellerose Terrace currently has in the works from Ferrara.

I routinely confuse some of the fire houses down there as large venue halls.

We're talking bowling alleys, 2X the amount of bays needed and tiki bars.

From their website:

The Stewart Manor Fire Department is located at 120 Covert Avenue, Stewart Manor, New York. We provide fire/rescue services, Basic Life support and Advanced Life support with our EMS Ambulance Squad. The department consists of two engine companies, one rescue company, and one ambulance.

Along with protecting the village of Stewart Manor, mutual aid is both given and received by borders towns and villages. The Stewart Manor Fire Department provides mutual aid to towns such as Floral Park, Franklin Square, New Hyde Park, and Garden City.

It's not my place to question this department's need, there is probaly a lot more to the story, but if their truck or engine is down, isn't one of the above communities just as close or have a spare they can borrow?

Also, do they really provide in-house ALS?

Anyone from LONG ISLAND could elaborate on this departments ops it would be great.

Stewart Manor's HME/Ferrara is definitely a sharp rig, in and of itself, but it is by NO means the stereotypical "Long Island parade pony". For that matter, neither are the TWO engines that Bellerose Terrace currently has in the works from Ferrara.

Yes, my dear friend, but both those BT engines are both easily 20 yrs, if not close to 20 yrs old. Some of those departments in that area are right on top of each other, within 5-8 minutes.

Edited by JBE

From their website:

It's not my place to question this department's need, there is probaly a lot more to the story, but if their truck or engine is down, isn't one of the above communities just as close or have a spare they can borrow?

Also, do they really provide in-house ALS?

Anyone from LONG ISLAND could elaborate on this departments ops it would be great.

Much like all of Nassau County, Nassau County PD provides ALS

Yes, my dear friend, but both those BT engines are both easily 20 yrs, if not close to 20 yrs old.

I'm sure they are.....not disputing that for a second. What I meant was, the rigs they're getting seem to be sensible, and well spec'ed for what they need. Not something that's purposely built to turn heads as it parades down Main Street. Which is kind of a mundane point anyway, since they don't judge apparatus in Long Island parades to begin with.

NEWSDAY also goes by "NEWSRAG" and "LIAR ALARM" and its not just because of them picking on the FDs in LI, it goes well beyond that too, half the time they run stories without getting the correct information.

Do they need a new truck? Maybe. Comparatively to other departments in the area that will spend upwards of 600-700k on apparatus, is the 450,000 outrageous? Not entirely.

I don't know much about the department or their numbers. But maybe it would make more sense to acquire a used apparatus that will better serve them than their current apparatus. Since the just got a new rig relatively recently, I think that it would make more sense to do this because I feel that the taxpayers won't want to pay for a new rig.

My 2 cents.

Edited by gpdexplorer

They could easily buy something for 175k to do the same job. saving money in this crappy economy. But this is LI I wouldn't mind having most used apparatus from there. FD Spending on LI is ridiculous and is to blame for a lot of new financial rules across the state.

It truly sounds like that area needs to consolidate!

stewart manor FD is within 5 minutes of 4 different fire departments. They're the poster child for the redundancy of the current system.

M' Ave likes this

It amazes me that while Nassau and Suffolk Counties have among the highest paid police forces in the country, they are protected almost entirely by volunteer (unpaid) firefighters. In addition, much of the Long Island E.M.S. system is volunteer. I imagine that a top shelf career county department could be put together for a much lower cost to taxpayers. Many of the fire stations could probably be eliminated as well as a large part of the massive fleet of fire apparatus (much of which sits in the bay unused while pages are sent out for manpower that just isn't around during normal business hours). It seems that it's long past due time to have a fully staffed fire - rescue service in Long Island's two counties. Response times would drastically improve and lives would be saved.

Newsweek or Newsday? 400 Heavy Rescues between 180 departments...Really?

Many of the fire stations could probably be eliminated as well as a large part of the massive fleet of fire apparatus (much of which sits in the bay unused while pages are sent out for manpower that just isn't around during normal business hours). It seems that it's long past due time to have a fully staffed fire - rescue service in Long Island's two counties. Response times would drastically improve and lives would be saved.

Shhhhhh... don't mention FD consolidation around here, you'll get people up in arms!!! :o

Newsweek or Newsday? 400 Heavy Rescues between 180 departments...Really?

Even if you cut the number in half, you still have about 195 too many. Every little village, hamlet or town doesn't need a rescue. I also love the 100 ft sticks for places that have two story buildings.

NEWSDAY also goes by "NEWSRAG" and "LIAR ALARM" and its not just because of them picking on the FDs in LI, it goes well beyond that too, half the time they run stories without getting the correct information.

Come on Izzy. You're not defending LI FD's are you? I work with LI vollies. They'll ALL say that LI VFD's are incredibly wasteful and spend a lot more money than is needed for fire protection.

Long Island is screaming for consolidation, but no one wants to give up their litle piece of the pie. The island could have a very well outfitted regional fire department. Keep many or even most of the individual stations, but keep only one apparatus in each. Spread out ladders, engines and especially rescues. I don't know the island well enough to cite locations, but I'm sure with a very little amount of time, you could figure that all out.

I'm not getting baited into the consolidation argument but I think the idea of looking into a used rig would be a great one if the taxpayers don't approve a new one. Replacing 2 engines in this small district in a short period of time could certainly be a stress to the taxpayers but a 20 year old rig may also not do the job. If they get a used rig and keep it for maybe 10 years, they could get on a replacement schedule of 1 rig every 10 years rather than 2 in a 2 year period.

Isn't one of the more fundamental issues that this is a village of .2 square miles with a completely autonomous, independent fire department?

Isn't one of the more fundamental issues that this is a village of .2 square miles with a completely autonomous, independent fire department?

Does anyone know where I can find out how many runs they went on? Nothing on the website about it, just that they won first place in the parade. In a place this small with so many departments within a close proximity, you cant tell me it would not be cheaper to contract out or, god forbid, merge with another department. (sorry for the crazy thinking)

Come on Izzy. You're not defending LI FD's are you? I work with LI vollies. They'll ALL say that LI VFD's are incredibly wasteful and spend a lot more money than is needed for fire protection.

Not at all M'Ave, LI's FDs have their own troubles and yes there are too many "districts" where five separate houses can actually function as one department. I'm not defending them.

My problem is and always will be with the "Liar Alarm" and its stems back to when me and my ex were still together. She worked for US Fish and Wildlife in Valley Stream and they ran an article about that organization without having all the correct information. Basically tried to throw the whole unit under the bus when in fact they were working with NY DEC on a lot of problems through the state. Yellow journalism at its finest and they wonder why they are going bankrupt.

Does anyone know where I can find out how many runs they went on?

If you contact the Board of Fire Commissioners, they'll be able to give you all the information you need in regards to the amounts of alarms they responded to and you'll know that the information will be accurate as opposed to getting it from someone who might not have the correct information.