Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

Fire Mutual Aid Coordinator Positon Open - Westchester

22 posts in this topic

Posting on http://www.westchestergov.com/hr/jobpostings/031510to032610JobPostingWeb.htm

Westchester County Department of Human Resources Civil Service

Job Opportunities

CSEA JOB POSTINGS FROM MARCH 15, 2010 to MARCH 26, 2010

026-10

FIRE MUTUAL AID COORDINATOR

Westchester County

Department of Human Resources

Civil Service

Department of Emergency Services – Valhalla: Under the general supervision of the Deputy Commissioner of Emergency Services, incumbents of this class provide assistance in fire management services and technical expertise in an assigned area of fire services and communications, mutual aid, fire cause and origin, fire training, and other public emergency response services requiring the services of firefighters. These assignments may be for a geographical area, hazardous material response or arson investigation. Incumbents also perform liaison work with local fire departments and emergency response teams in order to coordinate efforts and available resources; establishing and improving inter-agency relationships; and developing and presenting educational materials and procedures. These are part time positions, compensated at an authorized stipend. Does related work as required.

REQUIRED: Possession of a high school or equivalency diploma and five years experience as a firefighter, three years of which must been at the supervisory level.

Complete information on Westchester County Civil Service site.

REQUIRED: Possession of a high school or equivalency diploma and five years experience as a firefighter, three years of which must been at the supervisory level.

SERIOUSLY...THATS it?

Thats not even enough to be a "good" Lieutenant!

SERIOUSLY...THATS it?

Thats not even enough to be a "good" Lieutenant!

Actually, no.....there's more:

SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:

- Certification as a New York State Firefighter I and II

- Coursework which must have included Introduction Fire Officer I and Fire Officer II

- National Incident Management System (NIMS) certified in IS 700, ICS 100 and ICS 200

NOTE #1: Volunteer experience may be substituted for each year of the above stated paid experience.

NOTE #2: Unless otherwise noted, only experience gained after attaining the minimum education level indicated in the minimum qualifications will be considered in evaluating experience.

Realistically, what does a Mutual Aid Coordinator need? They aren't in command of operations, are they? Their job is just to call for the backup so the Chief doesn't have to. Sounds like the requirements should be more emergency management/ICS related than anything. But they do seem like pretty lax requirements.

Does anyone know which battalion this is for?

One would think that a requirement would include living &/or working close if not in the battalion. Not likely someone who lives & works in Yonkers would be hired to cover So. Salem or vise versa.

One would think that a requirement would include living &/or working close if not in the battalion. Not likely someone who lives & works in Yonkers would be hired to cover So. Salem or vise versa.

One would have to assume that location of residence and occupation plays a role in the hiring process...

Edited by bvfdjc316

Does anyone know which battalion this is for?

Battalion 14

Who do the "FIRE MUTUAL AID COORDINATORS" report to nowadays? Theoretically, it should be the 60 Control supervisor, since they are the mutual aid coordination center.

For incident related issues, I think the best idea would to be assign a dispatcher of 60 Control the position. Add an extra dispatcher or designate a qualified dispatcher on each shift, and when they are needed at a scene, they can respond in the Field Com or a SUV. If anyone knows what is where when and how to coordinate mutual aid, it's the dispatchers of 60 Control. But, of course, I doubt Westchester County would fund any such idea nowadays.

Also, mutual aid should be the push of a button. IC's should have MDT's....if they need another engine, press "Add Engine", or "Second Alarm Assignment".....that would free up some radio traffic, go straight into the 60 Control CAD (if capable) with resource recoemdnations based on the department's mutual aid plan. And units could log on or off as available.

Regarding all the other duties of a fire mutual aid coordinator, maybe leave that part as it is.

First...all you really need to have is an understanding of the zone you are responsible for and knowledge of the IMS to be effective in this position. Which IMS would be a step above most as many departments still aren't utilizing any form of it, and those that are are not doing so correctly.

As far as utilizing a dispatcher, and I agree there are some that would be good at it, but I doubt all would be. Also 1 person isn't enough as its broken down to maintain span of control and often when a department in 1 battalion is called to another or multiple that zone coordinator is contacted in the event they need to handle coverage as units filter to the incident. Do I agree that some mutual aid should be much easier..yes. Do they need MDT's absolutely not, the new trunk system has been better at reducing radio traffic and allowing for better operational interface between command and 60 control and/or the coordinator and control for logistics. Utilizing the coordinators, which I've seen the good the bad and the ugly, helps free the IC from that aspect to worry about operational radio traffic which should be on a non repeated channel..aka working channels or fireground channels. MDT's can create more issue then they would solve with the disparaging differences in operations in the county with all the little islands. Look at what it took to install and then get training out for the trunk radios and if you buy a new apparatus who pays for the installation of the MDT and purchase of a new one.

On a side note some of the coordinators have been very good at getting those in their zone to do training together, the using "a" dispatcher wouldn't facilitate that. Also theoretically they should answer to who is responsible for their overall planning etc, which is the deputy commissioner. Not the "supervisor" as they deal with them when there is an incident and not everyday activities for a lack of a better term. If the system isn't broke don't "fix it" which is what I say.

Who do the "FIRE MUTUAL AID COORDINATORS" report to nowadays? Theoretically, it should be the 60 Control supervisor, since they are the mutual aid coordination center.

For incident related issues, I think the best idea would to be assign a dispatcher of 60 Control the position. Add an extra dispatcher or designate a qualified dispatcher on each shift, and when they are needed at a scene, they can respond in the Field Com or a SUV. If anyone knows what is where when and how to coordinate mutual aid, it's the dispatchers of 60 Control. But, of course, I doubt Westchester County would fund any such idea nowadays.

Also, mutual aid should be the push of a button. IC's should have MDT's....if they need another engine, press "Add Engine", or "Second Alarm Assignment".....that would free up some radio traffic, go straight into the 60 Control CAD (if capable) with resource recoemdnations based on the department's mutual aid plan. And units could log on or off as available.

Regarding all the other duties of a fire mutual aid coordinator, maybe leave that part as it is.

The Fire Mutual Aid Coordinator position deals with much more than fire response. The Coordinators report to the Deputy Commisisoner of Emergency Services (County Fire Coordinator). The use of the Mutual Aid Coordinator might not be the appropriate title for the duties of the postion. The simple title of Battalion Coordinator might be better.

A good Mutual Aid Coordinator is the liaisson between the departments within the battalion and the County. The coordinator should be advocating the posion of the departments he oversees. He should be pushing for training and keep abreast on any issues that may have an impact on the fire service. He should be the mouth piece for the departments he represents and be able to reprent them when dealing with all levels of government and bueracracy.

Reponding to mutual aid calls should be the least important functioin of his position. No Chief is going to give up the command and control of an incident in his jurisdiction. The coordinator should be there to assist in anyway but should not be expected to take over command or the ordering of mutual aid unless requested to by the IC.

A dispatcher is not required on scene to dispatch mutual aid. The IC should be able to keep track of the units he has requested through the appropriate mutual aid channels presently in use in the County. For larger scale incidents he should request assistance from the other Chiefs in his department or from some of the mutual aid chiefs reponding to the scene. If the chiefs can't handle that responsibility than maybe they shouldn't be in the role of Chief to begin with.

A dispatcher is not required on scene to dispatch mutual aid. The IC should be able to keep track of the units he has requested through the appropriate mutual aid channels presently in use in the County. For larger scale incidents he should request assistance from the other Chiefs in his department or from some of the mutual aid chiefs reponding to the scene. If the chiefs can't handle that responsibility than maybe they shouldn't be in the role of Chief to begin with.

A 60 Control dispatcher as a on-scene mutual aid coordinator would be beneficial for larger scale incidents. That 60 Control dispatcher could also bring with them a mobile command post. That ONE IC should be able to directly request mutual aid from the 60 Control dispatcher on scene, and using the CAD resources available to them, dispatch the most appropriate resource. They can also see who's closest, and make sure they aren't stripping other communities of fire protection. The problem is, there are too many "Chiefs" having input, whereas 60 Control could more efficiently handle the task in real time at the scene.

As for the mutual aid coordiantors, most of them do a great job. The position is seriously antiquated. However, the "Battalion" system in Westchester County is seriously flawed, and fragments things even further. As far as them being representatives for their areas, they should also make sure each department is complying with all the rules and regulations and that each department is getting out within a timely manner with the proper staffing. This is something that seriously needs to be watched over in the County, and maybe that could be a better addeded role for the Coordinator.

And as a final note, we should be looking to reduce Chiefs, etc. There aren't that many incidents where such a large amount of officers are needed, and Lieutentants, Captains, Assistant Chiefs, and Chiefs all need a chance to get leadership experience.

I for one think the 60 Control idea would not be so beneficial. YES, there are many good dispatchers at down there, but the coin flips both ways and there are others that are not... How many of them really know of the job and the true workings of what is being asked ? I have heard stories of new dispatchers having to be told the difference between apparatus types. Many have never done any fire fighting...

The last thing I would want is to ask a Coordinator for more tankers, and an oil truck shows up... Sorry for those dispatchers that really know the true inside and out of fire fighting, ( and its not about you )but you know there are others, where this is true.

The Field Comm unit ??? nice but what is the down time for that thing to be up and running ? 30 minutes ??? is when " Most of the Mutual Aid " is called in, unless its a large scale scene, and then the Field unit would be called in anyway ... I am not a Chief, but I would pefer the coordinator at my command post, and we can do a face to face or see the command board, instead of inside a Field Comm Unit... more un needed radion chatter...

I have walked around it and inside the Field Comm Unit, there is allot to it... I am sure its not a 1 " man " job. So now you would need a 2 " man " crew on each shift to cover the unit ... Of course, as " chris " can atest to, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT RADIOS .... but I am sure its not that easy...

Maybe the " Coordinator " position is not the best system, but in my neck of the world, it seems to work well...

SRS131EMTFF likes this

The MACs or “Battalions” report to the Deputy Commissioner, who is our County Fire Coordinator.

In a perfect world, your 60 Control dispatchers would be fully proficient in the fire service, EMS, the layout of the county, the way the fire service works and what resources each agency has. But since this perfect world is as realistic as a wet dream involving Jessica Alba and I, that will never happen. Nobody is to be faulted for this, especially not my coworkers, because the problem lies within the state as a whole. As long as we’re a home rule state, the AHJ will always do what they feel like. This even includes agencies claiming they have capabilities and resources that they really don’t have. On the opposite side of the spectrum, agencies have great resources, yet they don’t bother to tell anyone outside of their firehouse walls. As far as the Mobile Command Post and/or Field Communications Unit….I’m not about to touch that with a 12’ pike pole

Since MDTs are as foreign to Westchester County agencies as learning Mandarin Chinese, the easiest solution for the current world we live in is to have agencies set up their 10-75 / Greater Alarm plans. I can’t tell you guys how nice it is as a Chief to be responding to a call, or to pull up on something and say “10-75” and the resources I need are dispatched. It beats the hell out of asking for each and every thing. We’ve even gone so far to idiot-proof our jobs to include utility notifications and dispatch the C&O Teams. The three fires we had during the last snow storm were a smooth operation thanks to this. At our last fire, we ran into water pressure issues and needed Tankers. I asked for 3, and I got the first due three we always use. (PS – Thanks Group 5 for handling that!)

First...all you really need to have is an understanding of the zone you are responsible for and knowledge of the IMS to be effective in this position. Which IMS would be a step above most as many departments still aren't utilizing any form of it, and those that are are not doing so correctly.

Well said. Even if people are using some form of NIMS, it’s better then nothing. We use a form of it, by no means is it perfect, but it truly, honestly makes for smoother operating. Unfortunately, what we practice in the field isn’t always the norm on the other end of the radio, and that can cause confusion.

As far as utilizing a dispatcher, and I agree there are some that would be good at it, but I doubt all would be. Also 1 person isn't enough as its broken down to maintain span of control and often when a department in 1 battalion is called to another or multiple that zone coordinator is contacted in the event they need to handle coverage as units filter to the incident. Do I agree that some mutual aid should be much easier..yes. Do they need MDT's absolutely not, the new trunk system has been better at reducing radio traffic and allowing for better operational interface between command and 60 control and/or the coordinator and control for logistics. Utilizing the coordinators, which I've seen the good the bad and the ugly, helps free the IC from that aspect to worry about operational radio traffic which should be on a non repeated channel..aka working channels or fireground channels. MDT's can create more issue then they would solve with the disparaging differences in operations in the county with all the little islands. Look at what it took to install and then get training out for the trunk radios and if you buy a new apparatus who pays for the installation of the MDT and purchase of a new one.

Exactly.

Command – assigned Trunked talkgroup.

Scene Ops – assigned Fireground channel(s).

On a side note some of the coordinators have been very good at getting those in their zone to do training together, the using "a" dispatcher wouldn't facilitate that. Also theoretically they should answer to who is responsible for their overall planning etc, which is the deputy commissioner. Not the "supervisor" as they deal with them when there is an incident and not everyday activities for a lack of a better term. If the system isn't broke don't "fix it" which is what I say.

Also well said. It’s too bad some of the MACs or Battalions have areas that are full of departments with their own agendas and no real intention of ever working nicely with everyone else. I forget who said it, but it’s a huge s*** sandwich, and (like it or not) we’ve all got to take a bite out of it. Mutual Aid isn’t just for the big fires, it can be for anything at anytime! Learn to play nice in each other’s sandbox!

A 60 Control dispatcher as a on-scene mutual aid coordinator would be beneficial for larger scale incidents. That 60 Control dispatcher could also bring with them a mobile command post. That ONE IC should be able to directly request mutual aid from the 60 Control dispatcher on scene, and using the CAD resources available to them, dispatch the most appropriate resource. They can also see who's closest, and make sure they aren't stripping other communities of fire protection. The problem is, there are too many "Chiefs" having input, whereas 60 Control could more efficiently handle the task in real time at the scene.

As far as sending the closest resource, that's not always your best option either. One department a few towns over may have a better rig for the job - for example if an IC asks for an additional Truck at a defensive ops taxpayer fire, calling a neighbor's rear mount stick wouldn't be as useful as calling a midmount aerial from a couple of towns away. That's also something a MAC or "Battalion" would know, and not neccessarily a dispatcher. Remember, the MACs are usually past Chiefs with some time in the IC's position - dispatchers don't always have this field experience (although it wouldn't hurt, I work with guys with no fire background that are AWESOME at their jobs!)

As for the mutual aid coordiantors, most of them do a great job. The position is seriously antiquated. However, the "Battalion" system in Westchester County is seriously flawed, and fragments things even further. As far as them being representatives for their areas, they should also make sure each department is complying with all the rules and regulations and that each department is getting out within a timely manner with the proper staffing. This is something that seriously needs to be watched over in the County, and maybe that could be a better addeded role for the Coordinator.

Again, this isn't possible. Each agency answers to their own AHJ and sets their own rules. If things were different, I wouldn't disagree with you.

And as a final note, we should be looking to reduce Chiefs, etc. There aren't that many incidents where such a large amount of officers are needed, and Lieutentants, Captains, Assistant Chiefs, and Chiefs all need a chance to get leadership experience.

Amen! In many departments a company level Officer has no command experience before being elected to a Chief's position. It's a dangerous practice. I'm lucky to have had a few calls where I was the IC, and to have Chiefs that let us do the hands on, direct supervision of our guys as Line Officers. I also credit my time at 60 Control for giving me the chance to listen to how others run their calls, to see response plans, and SOGs of other departments - this information is invaluable!

I have walked around it and inside the Field Comm Unit, there is allot to it... I am sure its not a 1 " man " job. So now you would need a 2 " man " crew on each shift to cover the unit ... Of course, as " chris " can atest to, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT RADIOS .... but I am sure its not that easy...

Bill, you and radios is the equivalent of me and roofing. But with a little bit of time and learning, anyone can do just about anything! Even you can find Fire 10!

Maybe the " Coordinator " position is not the best system, but in my neck of the world, it seems to work well...

Amen. Luckily in “our neck of the world” our Coordinator is one of our own. Call it nepotism, but our own Coordinator is an asset in many ways. He’s provided all of us in the zone with some classes, training and a calm, professional demeanor at calls. (Unless he was watching the Yankees…that’s a different story.)

MDTs are a good idea. It would probably solve the capacity issue with the radio system/prevent clogging on higher profile jobs. All you have to do is acknowledge the run, the rest is a matter of tapping a screen or entering a disposition and sending it to the dispatcher. Problem is i think MDTs run on a different radio system, i think something like 800 Mhz...so someone would need to build out the radio system for that, design the software, purchase the computers, roll out everyone, etc. It's the way to go, but we never do things the right way anyhow.

Not everything fits so nicely as simply saying "utilizing the CAD." There are incidents I've handled where I needed specifics based on apparatus, not what the CAD wants to spit out as closest unit. The closest unit may not be staffed which the CAD will not take into account, but I do. I may know what the appropriate resource is that I need based on what I need in detail. A computer will not. Also while frustrating who's to say that mutual aid wouldn't be called at some point based on favorites? I know generally for a fact I wouldn't as a rule..but can't say that if came down to 2 resources from 2 separate agencies equal distance...that I wouldn't take some things into account that might make me feel more apt at calling one versus the other which in essence would be playing "favorites" wouldn't it. Things such as the quality of training of their agency, the proficiency of their members while operating and/or the timeliness of their responses.

OK. So they see if every department is complying with all rules and regulations. Some are not...now what? what is properly staffed? So a department says that a driver arrives and the engine should roll. Now what? They deparment's policy has been followed. They have no say in that...and can't have any say. HOME RULE STATE. You also can't say in one breath that the system is antiquated and in another say one dispatcher should handle it.

How exactly it fragments things even further I don't know. I now many MAC's who attempt to get the departments in their zone to train together and communicate. That's more then I can say if the little islands were left on their own. If anything fragments the system...its the system at its core...the individual departments.

Again who's to say that MDT's are the "right" way. Utilizing the available resources is the right way and again the trunk system has even exceeded my expectations. If anyone is having any issues with "higher profile" jobs. Its because they are the issue..not the radio and often they are on their own system and don't even understand the workings of it. The trunk system has alleviated that as there are more channels to operate with. The days of the 46.26 messes are over...and I have worked in systems with MDT's...they're not all cracked up to what they are supposed to be either.

Is there any real opreational benefit of having a dispatcher in a field communication vehicle onscene? During normal operations and the majority of mutual aid responses the dispatchers at 60-Control handle the calls from their site in Valhalla very well. From a cost saving perspective couldn't 60-Control assign one dispatcher to handle the mutual aid call from their site in Valhalla without going to the scene in the field comm. If someone had to be called in on OT they could respond to 60-Control and man the dispatch console designated to handle the mutual aid incident. The present field comm is designed as a communication vehicle only and is not utilized as a command and control facility or command post. Aside for the need to bring satellite communications, network connectivity and telephone service into the field the field comm at a fire scene is really just acting like an extension of 60-Control

Wonder if they have someone in mind B) I'm sure that there aren't too many folk out there in the general WC firefighter population that meet those first two special requirements ....

Unless of course you begin to accept equivalents - and what is the equivalent to FF1 & FF2? Actually on another note, in a discussion at the FH, perhaps there should be a class to bridge Essentials or Basic FF to FF1. The state does kind of list equivalents to FF I / FF II at FF1 Certification and FF II certification - however, I'm sure some of those classes aren't offered any longer, so if you didn't take them before then you are SOL .... :unsure:

Actually, no.....there's more:

SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:

- Certification as a New York State Firefighter I and II

- Coursework which must have included Introduction Fire Officer I and Fire Officer II

- National Incident Management System (NIMS) certified in IS 700, ICS 100 and ICS 200

NOTE #1: Volunteer experience may be substituted for each year of the above stated paid experience.

NOTE #2: Unless otherwise noted, only experience gained after attaining the minimum education level indicated in the minimum qualifications will be considered in evaluating experience.

The last thing we need are more computers. They're only going to be of limited help and now we're going to saddle the IC or his/her designee with typing and tracking and making sure it worked right?

Come on. The best way to request resources is to (as others have so aptly described) get on the radio and say:

"Transmit a second alarm" or "Special Call 3 tankers" or "Request an additional engine and truck mutual aid and make the truck a tower ladder".

The fully qualified dispatcher acknowledges and you're done. Sometimes less is more and technology isn't the best answer.

While there are some eminently qualified and experienced dispatchers there are also some real slugs out there (this is not directed at 60-Control but rather Communications in general) and if you listen to radios long enough you'll hear the good the bad and the ugly.

Wow, the more and more I see, Westchester is way, way back in the stone ages.

Things just go in circles in Westchester, and nothing is really that much different from when the only staff at "Fire Control" was Marilyn and Gordon in that little office. People are still really just complacent, nobody really wants to unite for change, egos run everything, and tecnology still isn't embraced. And,the best thing of all, is people come up with excuses of why things CAN'T be done instead of why things CAN be done.....and I love the "home rule" excuse the best!

As far as the coordinator position goes, an Engine should be an engine with 4 interior firefighters, Ladder the sames, etc and if you don't want to staff or train by the rules, you can't play in the mutual aid game.

As far as those who are against MDT's, they obviously haven't seen or used a modern,properly working MDT system. They haven't seen the personel management system, the aerial mapping features, the anti-apparatus collision routing system, the ability to read about the building and it's hazards, hydrants and water sources in the area, see what other apparatus are responding, what apparatus are on other calls and unavailable, car extrication hazards, ability to write your report in the field, etc etc etc etc

Back to my point, this position is antiquated. The people who do it do a great job and are only doing it for the love of the fire service, and this is not a knock at them. But if this works so well for the fire service in Westchester, where are the EMS mutual aid coordinators and Police mutual aid coordinators?

Wow, the more and more I see, Westchester is way, way back in the stone ages.

Things just go in circles in Westchester, and nothing is really that much different from when the only staff at "Fire Control" was Marilyn and Gordon in that little office. People are still really just complacent, nobody really wants to unite for change, egos run everything, and tecnology still isn't embraced. And,the best thing of all, is people come up with excuses of why things CAN'T be done instead of why things CAN be done.....and I love the "home rule" excuse the best!

Egos and complacency both halt progress, no arguement. But when it comes down to setting policies and procedures for the uniformed response of agencies in Westchester County - many, if not most - fire departments all have agreed on certain things, which are found in the Mutual Aid Plan.

As far as the coordinator position goes, an Engine should be an engine with 4 interior firefighters, Ladder the sames, etc and if you don't want to staff or train by the rules, you can't play in the mutual aid game.

Agreed, and I am fairly positive that there is something to this affect in the Mutual Aid Plan. Locally, the Chiefs in our Battalion all agreed to some extent to provide one another with no less than a four IFF crew on apparatus.

As far as those who are against MDT's, they obviously haven't seen or used a modern,properly working MDT system. They haven't seen the personel management system, the aerial mapping features, the anti-apparatus collision routing system, the ability to read about the building and it's hazards, hydrants and water sources in the area, see what other apparatus are responding, what apparatus are on other calls and unavailable, car extrication hazards, ability to write your report in the field, etc etc etc etc

Never used one, nor am I against using one. But as a county we aren't set up for this yet, so I'll take what I have. Nothing is perfect, and I doubt an MDT would be, so I will always depend on my training and experiences to guide me when I am an Incident Commander. I know that there is probability of forgetting something (like C&O, Con Ed, etc.) and that is why it is AUTOMATIC on all of our "10-75" incidents. Others should do the same.

Back to my point, this position is antiquated. The people who do it do a great job and are only doing it for the love of the fire service, and this is not a knock at them. But if this works so well for the fire service in Westchester, where are the EMS mutual aid coordinators and Police mutual aid coordinators?

We have two EMS Coordinators. There were three, one stepped down and the position has not been filled yet. I don't feel the position is antiquated - as it is in use in just about EVERY NYS COUNTY - and it generally works!