Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mofire24

Yonkers PD Heavy Rescue unit ?

27 posts in this topic

I was on a website today for another dept they happen to have progress photos of their rig in the hackney plant and in the backround there was what looked too be a spartan hackeney Rescue with roll up doors marked for Yonkers PD anyone have any info here is the link if you look at one of the pics toward the bottom you will see it in the backround

New Light and Air Unit chassis arrives at Hackney. -

Wow good eyes.... It does appear to say Yonkers Police, but not neccesarily Yonkers NY. Anyone have any details?

That's Yonkers ESU's new rig. Should be in town in May.

That's Yonkers ESU's new rig. Should be in town in May.

Will this be one of YPD's Front Line ESU Rigs or will this be a "Special" YPD/ESU Rig, used only at special incidents?

If it is going into "Regular Service" will it be assigned to the West Side or East Side of the city (What Precinct?)

Mofire, your link is definitely wrong. Might wanna check that.

sagevagiles it's the right link look at the last pic on the bottom right and in the backround there it is

TRUCK 4 you were holding out on us lol

Oh man. I'm curious as to what YFD thinks about this. There is talk in Stamford about the PD getting SFRD's old rescue and the union isn't happy about it because they think SPD will be stealing their extrications...

Oh man. I'm curious as to what YFD thinks about this. There is talk in Stamford about the PD getting SFRD's old rescue and the union isn't happy about it because they think SPD will be stealing their extrications...

Who cares what YFD thinks about it. That is a loaded question. One agency has nothing to do with another. Both agencies provide different services with only a few services duplicated and seem to work well together. As far a SPD stealing extrications? It is about providing public service and as long as the proper training and equipment is utilized, may the first unit who arrives, have at it. It will probably carry equipment and have nothing to do with extrications. In this day and age it is better to have more than less especially if a large scale incident occurs. Our town is small and the pd has nothing. They rely on Vol FD for everything. Good luck to Yonkers PD it looks like a sweet rig, can someone post some pics or spec's from YPD?

Edited by AMISHFF

I think Yonkers PD already does extrication we don't have all the facts about this truck yet and what it might carry so we shouldn't pass judgement on it

Really!? Someone posts a picture of a new piece of apparatus that is going to help better serve the community and all you're worried about is some sort of juvenile, inter-agency rivalry? I have a couple of friends in Yonkers and they get pin jobs on a routine basis. From what I hear they seem to work pretty well with the cops.

Since when is a vehicle extrication something that is "stolen" from another agency? I'm pretty sure that the guy in the car could care less if it's the mailman that gets him out, so long as someone does.

Guys with a mentality like yours don't even belong on a rig IMHO.

I think Yonkers PD already does extrication we don't have all the facts about this truck yet and what it might carry so we shouldn't pass judgement on it

My understanding is that for all Car Accidents requiring potential extrication, that YFD is dispatched with a 1 and 1 (Engine Company and Ladder Company, that carries Extrecation Tools) along with a Battalion Chief. YFD Rescue 1 is called upon if required for multple cars/passengers requiring extrication. I do not believe that YPD's ESU is the primary unit within the City of Yonkers for Auto Extractions. I am sure that either someone within either YFD or YPD can confirm.

billfitz likes this

My understanding is that for all Car Accidents requiring potential extrication, that YFD is dispatched with a 1 and 1 (Engine Company and Ladder Company, that carries Extrecation Tools) along with a Battalion Chief. YFD Rescue 1 is called upon if required for multple cars/passengers requiring extrication. I do not believe that YPD's ESU is the primary unit within the City of Yonkers for Auto Extractions. I am sure that either someone within either YFD or YPD can confirm.

YPD is dispatched on all extrication calls also. Tools are carried on the ESU. The extrication is handled by the first arriving unit PD or FD. In the case of a long or difficult job the units will assist each other . Good luck with the new rig YPD.......

YPD is dispatched on all extrication calls also. Tools are carried on the ESU. The extrication is handled by the first arriving unit PD or FD. In the case of a long or difficult job the units will assist each other . Good luck with the new rig YPD.......

Thanks Frank for the clarification. Nice to see to Emergency Service Agencies working so well together in order to serve the citizens of the City of Yonkers. PS - IS THAT THE NEW LADDER 71 LOGO THAT YOU HAVE ON YOUR EMTBRAVO MONIKOR? (I really like this new design !!!)

billfitz likes this

I think everyone's forgetting that this is a PD unit. It will be carrying a variety of weapons and body armor, police tactical items, riot gear, crime scene equipment, and a lot of other law enforcement and WMD tools.

It should also be noted that MVPD has two of these large ESU trucks, they are ex-NYPD and they have had them for several years. This is long overdue for Yonkers PD.

If anyone's been following the news in Yonkers with the increasing violence, and the cuts in the police force that are impending, I don't think Yonkers PD is going to be worrying about extrications as their main priority.

Perhaps this is why it wasn't widely posted already. The speculation and rabble rousing in this thread is unbelievable. Does the Yonkers FD consult with the PD before buying equipment or vehicles, probably not because they have their mission and the PD has theirs.

You're all calling it a "rescue" but it will be a POLICE emergency services vehicle and provide TACTICAL support (among other things) to the smaller trucks already in service in the city.

This thread is a prime example of why people don't want to post things here. (shaking head)

post4031 likes this

Perhaps this is why it wasn't widely posted already. The speculation and rabble rousing in this thread is unbelievable. Does the Yonkers FD consult with the PD before buying equipment or vehicles, probably not because they have their mission and the PD has theirs.

You're all calling it a "rescue" but it will be a POLICE emergency services vehicle and provide TACTICAL support (among other things) to the smaller trucks already in service in the city.

This thread is a prime example of why people don't want to post things here. (shaking head)

Fortunately no one in either YPD or YFD took the bait and made any inflamatory comments in this thread. That's the last thing we need in these difficult times. If we have any disagreements over anything (which we certainly don't over this apparatus) we certainly won't be hashing them out on here. Good luck with the new rig YPD!

post4031 and billfitz like this

Really!? Someone posts a picture of a new piece of apparatus that is going to help better serve the community and all you're worried about is some sort of juvenile, inter-agency rivalry? I have a couple of friends in Yonkers and they get pin jobs on a routine basis. From what I hear they seem to work pretty well with the cops.

Since when is a vehicle extrication something that is "stolen" from another agency? I'm pretty sure that the guy in the car could care less if it's the mailman that gets him out, so long as someone does.

Guys with a mentality like yours don't even belong on a rig IMHO.

Wow, I honestly didn't know there was this much hostility here or I wouldn't have posted my question. I'm new to this forum and haven't experienced it in others, so for this I'm sorry.

I simply ASKED the question, I did not try to insight a riot or make a statement. I ASKED the question because I know it is a concern amongst the guys from Stamford, whom I'm not affiliated with, so I don't care. I would like to thank the other posters who responded positively, with good info about how Yonkers works.

Fortunately no one in either YPD or YFD took the bait and made any inflamatory comments in this thread. That's the last thing we need in these difficult times. If we have any disagreements over anything (which we certainly don't over this apparatus) we certainly won't be hashing them out on here. Good luck with the new rig YPD!

I don't think that the majority of us here on EMTBravo looked at this post as being an opportunity to set up a "PIxxxxG Contest" between agencies. Like I said above, I am glad to see that within the City of Yonkers, 2 well respected agencies are able to work harmonious with each other to serve the needs of the public. I am glad that YPD was able to secure funding to obtain this needed vehicle prior to the belt tightening that is currently going on withn Public Government. As Seth pointed out above, it is likely that this truck will be well equiped with the Equipment and Tools necessary to sevice "POLICE" requirements within the City. As many have said before, the City of Yonkers is very fortunate to have individuals within both the Police and Fire Administrations to think "Ahead of the Curve" to fill the needs of their respective departments. Other cities, towns and villages have used Yonkers as the model to build their own respective departments accordingly. GOOD LUCK YPD WITH YOUR NEW TRUCK !!!!!

billfitz likes this

Thanks Frank for the clarification. Nice to see to Emergency Service Agencies working so well together in order to serve the citizens of the City of Yonkers. PS - IS THAT THE NEW LADDER 71 LOGO THAT YOU HAVE ON YOUR EMTBRAVO MONIKOR? (I really like this new design !!!)

Yes, that is the new TL-71 logo, designed by some of the senior members of the truck with alot of help from R1smokeeater.

Don't the Police Departments have enough to do without doing extrications. I don't think a single Canadian Police force does this, it is all handled by the fire service.

ny10570 likes this

Everyone is so caught up on the idea of extrication. I highly doubt this truck is going to be carrying nothing but rescue equipment. ESU is not just a technical rescue team. Yes, that's an aspect of it, but primarily they are a tactical response team, and the amount of equipment needed for any decent sized tactical operation is incredible:

Weapons

Ammo

Armor/Helmets

Shields

Non-Lethal systems

Surveillance systems

"Throw Phones"

Communications gear

Forcible Entry equipment

Medical gear

Crime Scene Gear

Command and Control area

HAZMAT gear (Yes, there IS a reason for PD to do HAZMAT, welcome to the 21st century boys and girls)

Tactical Operators carry a LOT of equipment on their backs, I've you've ever worn it before you know what I'm talking about. All that stuff has to go somewhere. Only so much is going to fit into one of those Odyssey ESU wagons that YPD ESU cruises around in When "the big one" hits, having a war wagon with enough gear to sustain your team is critical.

Let me ask you this, how do you feel when at a fire commissioner's meeting the taxpayers challenge why you need a $500,000 rescue truck or $1 million tower ladder to conduct their operations. I'll bet you get defensive because you don't like people who don't DO your job telling you how THEY think you should do it. So why would you do that to our Brothers in law enforcement? Besides, we don't even KNOW for sure what is on the truck, how about waiting to find out before filing a grievance on behalf of a fire department you don't even belong to.

Best of luck to YPD ESU on their new rig.

helicopper and PEMO3 like this

Yes, that is the new TL-71 logo, designed by some of the senior members of the truck with alot of help from R1smokeeater.

R1Smokeater does nice work. My favorite YFD Company Logo is definately the FOAM TRUCK (Bulldog with Foam Coming out of it). THAT'S A CLASSIC !!!

I ASKED the question because I know it is a concern amongst the guys from Stamford, whom I'm not affiliated with, so I don't care.

There is absolutely no concern amongst the guys from Stamford over this. The guys in Stamford have bigger issues to deal with at the present time.

Wow, I honestly didn't know there was this much hostility here or I wouldn't have posted my question. I'm new to this forum and haven't experienced it in others, so for this I'm sorry.

I simply ASKED the question, I did not try to insight a riot or make a statement. I ASKED the question because I know it is a concern amongst the guys from Stamford, whom I'm not affiliated with, so I don't care. I would like to thank the other posters who responded positively, with good info about how Yonkers works.

Alpine: Is this "Stamford" information coming from Stamford City Fire sources or is this scuttlebutt from people from outside Stamford Fire and Rescue who have like to start problems by manufacturing their own stories and history (there is quite a bit of that going around.....)

I am pretty abreast of most SFRD and Union issues and I have NEVER heard about a concern whether SPD takes the old Mack R2 and makes it into an ESU truck.

SageVigiles and helicopper like this

Don't the Police Departments have enough to do without doing extrications. I don't think a single Canadian Police force does this, it is all handled by the fire service.

I don't know about Canada but here in my little corner of the world the police were doing extrications before most fire departments. Only a small number of fire departments had hydraulic tools at the time.

Times have changed and it has swung the other way but there are still a lot of places where the police perform extrications.

I don't know about Canada but here in my little corner of the world the police were doing extrications before most fire departments. Only a small number of fire departments had hydraulic tools at the time.

Times have changed and it has swung the other way but there are still a lot of places where the police perform extrications.

Thank you. I was just wondering. The same as I see a lot of fire departments in the states with blue lights in their light bars and on the front grills.

The only ones up here allowed blue lights in them are Police cars.

Edited by Reliance

Thank you. I was just wondering. The same as I see a lot of fire departments in the states with blue lights in their light bars and on the front grills.

Blue denotes Volunteer FF in NY and certain other localities.