Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robert benz

fire video / trailer home

24 posts in this topic

I love the dude trying to open the front door.... twice. The backwards helmet and all.... Me thinks nobody noticed the windows next to the door. Not to mention the dude standing on the I-Beam leaning into the window that the PPV fan is blowing towards.

Wow.

4:30 - One FF by the door has his helmet on backwards, no lie!

That was painful.......... Where to begin ? Naah, nevermind.

This is the place. The rig is pictured on the fire dept. website.

Blountstown, Florida

Blountstown is a city in Calhoun County, Florida, United States. The population was 2,444 at the 2000 census. According to the U.S Census estimates of 2005, the city had a population of 2,433.[3] It is the county seat of Calhoun County[4].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blountstown,_Florida

Engine One Specifics:

2008 International DuraStar Chassis

Engine: 330hp MaxxForce 9 Navistar

Trans: Allison 3000 with push-button shift

Extra Features: A/C, Cruise Control &

Tilt Wheel~ sorry no CD Player!

http://www.blountstownfire.org/

FiftyOnePride likes this

nice technique.....notice how they didn't even chip the paint on the front door.

Thats the 1st time I have seen a chief lying on his belly in the front yard...any takers as to why?

That was painful. Where to start is a good question. I hope no one here sees anything here in their own FD's. And I thought the rules requiring paid firefighters in FL would have a positive effect, my eyes are now opened.These guys graduated a career fire academy or some sort of firefighter 1 training of some sort? Sad.

I haven't had to force a door yet "on the job", but that's certainly not the way we learned it on the Friction Force door in class...

I'm not being sarcastic when I ask this, but, is that sometimes an acceptable method for lighter, outward swinging doors?

nice technique.....notice how they didn't even chip the paint on the front door.

Thats the 1st time I have seen a chief lying on his belly in the front yard...any takers as to why?

may not be a cheif since some one ran over with the helmet however there is fire visible under the trailer the entire vidio from the begining .

At first I thought maybe he was trying to hide under a glade of grass so no one would see him as that forcible entry circus unfolded but alas, it looks like he was doing what he knew best about firefighting, Stop Drop and Roll. Edited by antiquefirelt

may not be a cheif since some one ran over with the helmet however there is fire visible under the trailer the entire vidio from the begining.

Fire under a double wide......would that be considered a basement fire.

Thanks you so much for sharing and providing all the entertainment I need for the rest of the week. I do not even know what to say...

Sad, sad, sad. So much for that thread about the words "professional" on a vollie rig. This is at least a combination department (can't tell for sure from their website). Chief is at least a career position, and he's laying on the lawn. There are "professionals" and "un-professionals" in both career and vollie ranks. No one has an exclusive on either.

BFD1054 and CLM92982 like this

Only if you keep the dogs chained up underneath it.

According to the census info, 11 residents have left this "City." My guess is they lived here, met the fire department and decided to move.

What kills me is that this seems like a simple operation. They could of advanced that line in the front door, had someone take that window, and knocked it down. I personally wouldn't of wasted time / manpower venting the roof, horizontal ventilation would have been sufficient. Also, did anyone check if the door was unlocked?

I've seen similar actions at almost every fire I have ever gone to. People get to the door without their tools, forget pieces of their gear, and basically turn into PPE covered jello molds. Why? Any incident should be treated as an unscheduled drill. We all spend so much time focusing on doing stuff the right way at drills, yet at calls there's always a few hammer-heads that forget what was covered at that last drill. (Of course, many think they're above basic drills and usually manage to muck up something at a call).

When ALS emailed this video to me, a bunch of us watched it together at the firehouse. Needless to say, we cracked up. I made a point to remind the guys that this could very well be us, as the availability of cell phone cameras, flip video cameras, etc. have grown faster then anything else out there.

Be smart, train often, and keep your calm.

BFD1054 likes this

Here's my question, not just for this particular incident, but trailer fires in general.

If you know you have fire under the trailer, would you still send guys in to make an attack?

I know every situation is different, but if I had a trailer like this with that kind of fire and smoke pushing, and saw fire under the trailer, I would tend to believe that floors have given out somewhere or another. Either way the trailer will probably be a loss. Am I saying I wouldn't send guys in, not necessarily, just something to be cognizant of. If you fell through the floor, sure you could probably crawl to safety, but is it worth taking that chance that something catastrophic happens and you go home without a brother?

Sorry, I just had to watch it again...... Uggh...

From the names on the coats, the guy laying in the grass (Hall) is the Chief of the department. And the gentleman with the helmet on backwards (Daniels) who was doing the forcible entry drill on the door is a Battalion Chief. WOW !!!

What kills me is that this seems like a simple operation. They could of advanced that line in the front door, had someone take that window, and knocked it down....... We all spend so much time focusing on doing stuff the right way at drills, yet at calls there's always a few hammer-heads that forget what was covered at that last drill. (Of course, many think they're above basic drills and usually manage to muck up something at a call).

I think you hit the nail on the head. It was a simple operation and its pretty clear they have not drilled and are winging it.

:lol:

Only if you keep the dogs chained up underneath it.

Bnechis and efdcapt...Priceless :lol:

I too noticed the fire behind the lattice early on. Actually, you can see it from about 45 seconds into the video. Is it drop fire, a point of origin?

Thank god they were soo concerned with breaking that front door. I started to time how long it took to force entry, but lost track and interest :rolleyes:. It did appear that the first FF did "try before he pried."

The member with the backward helmet...theres no words to describe my thoughts. Is that on purpose, does he know which way hes suppose to wear it or did he throw it on in such a hast that he put it on backward? Either way, its unacceptable.

At about 3:35 into the video, a FF (MPO ?) stretches an additional line (+). However, the line is then charged with no FF's to man it. Its nice to have safety/back-up lines, but even nicer to have FF's to man those lines.

Its rare that we critique career depts. Theres a lot of reasons for this. In this area, we are used to seeing "Professional" career depts operate. What i mean is that most career depts in our area are very well trained, prepared, experienced and professional in every aspect.

If this is indeed a career dept, as it appears it is, this is a damn shame. Hell, things that were seen in this video would be unacceptable at any fire scene, whether in a career or volly district. Are these guys members of the IAFF? If so, im sure their brother union members would be quite concerned after watching this.

Mr. Benz, thank you for finding and sharing this video with us.

As Remember585 pointed out, this could be ANY of us (although it shouldnt be). Remember, big brother may be watching and you certainly dont want to be on a video such as this. Moral of the story; train, train and then train some more.

Stay safe

Have a nice Good Friday and a Happy Easter.

If this is indeed a career dept, as it appears it is, this is a damn shame. Hell, things that were seen in this video would be unacceptable at any fire scene, whether in a career or volly district. Are these guys members of the IAFF? If so, im sure their brother union members would be quite concerned after watching this.

It's a damn shame, period. Sadly we've typically come to expect less from volunteer outfits so the sting may not have hurt much, but unacceptable amateurish operations as firefighters of any sort.

It's a damn shame, period. Sadly we've typically come to expect less from volunteer outfits so the sting may not have hurt much, but unacceptable amateurish operations as firefighters of any sort.

Thats what i was trying to express, may not have used my words correctly lol. Thanks Chief.

I'm having a hard time qualifying the department's website with the fire video. I mean it's a "pro" website they got there. So, I'm scratching my head. Website. Video. Website.... and I'm thinking "what did we see in the video?" The first time I watched it, it seemed like an eternity for that haligan tool debacle, and the front door. Then I watched it again today. Seemed a bit faster; still a debacle.

The lack of a primary search disturbed me. The lack of coordinated venting. No command. Guys with not enough gear. etc.

The website.

The history pictures give some insight. First would be; having and wearing turnout gear. Check out the history photos for one where it looks like firemen are making some kind of push "in" with a line. Looks to be circa 1970s? The most turnout gear to be seen, are a few Civil Defense helmets. Lots of denim. And the "fire attack" looks very similar. Guys standing upright, maybe no venting. I'm thinking, old habits die hard.

One thing about the "Outside Burn" laws. This is part of Florida law according to the website:

Required Setbacks for Yard Waste Burning:

25 feet from forests

50 feet from paved public roads

Still scratching my head....

According to the census info, 11 residents have left this "City." My guess is they lived here, met the fire department and decided to move.

What kills me is that this seems like a simple operation. They could of advanced that line in the front door, had someone take that window, and knocked it down. I personally wouldn't of wasted time / manpower venting the roof, horizontal ventilation would have been sufficient. Also, did anyone check if the door was unlocked?

I've seen similar actions at almost every fire I have ever gone to. People get to the door without their tools, forget pieces of their gear, and basically turn into PPE covered jello molds. Why? Any incident should be treated as an unscheduled drill. We all spend so much time focusing on doing stuff the right way at drills, yet at calls there's always a few hammer-heads that forget what was covered at that last drill. (Of course, many think they're above basic drills and usually manage to muck up something at a call).

When ALS emailed this video to me, a bunch of us watched it together at the firehouse. Needless to say, we cracked up. I made a point to remind the guys that this could very well be us, as the availability of cell phone cameras, flip video cameras, etc. have grown faster then anything else out there.

Be smart, train often, and keep your calm.

Excellent point(s)

Edited by fireguy43