Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjpinto

Yonkers New Deliveries

43 posts in this topic

Awesome rigs! I can't wait for the new ALF's to finally come in!

Once YFD is able to get a New Bumper for its 2000 ALF "Rescue 2" then they (YFD) will have a functional working and loaded Spare Rescue Unit to back up their Front Line Rescue 1 (Sad that it has taken so long for YFD to get the parts from ALF to finish the repairs to the Old Rescue 2, probably due to the financial problems that ALF has had over the past couple of years - You would think that ALF would have enough spare parts available to support the fleet of rigs sold that are already in the field?). Then once that is done, YFD will have a Functional Spare Rescue, Spare Squad, Spare LDH (E300) and a Spare Ladder (Ladder 76) with enough Reserve Engine and Ladder (TL and RM) Companies to compliment their fleet.

Edited by 61MACKBR1

I stand corrected Chief. I had heard that repairs were waiting on the delivery of a new bumper. However, you are much closer to this than anyone on here. Can you share with us what other repairs are needed for the 2000 ALF Rescue (Rescue 2)? Is there any ETA on when YFD might be getting Rescue 2 back?

The bumper is NOT the delay!

I stand corrected Chief. I had heard that repairs were waiting on the delivery of a new bumper. However, you are much closer to this than anyone on here. Can you share with us what other repairs are needed for the 2000 ALF Rescue (Rescue 2)? Is there any ETA on when YFD might be getting Rescue 2 back?

There's no delay. When re-delivered (not specified at this time), it will be in showroom condition with a 10+ year service life. The rig was well maintained, so they are not repairs neccasarily more like refurbishing or replacing items that were subject to normal wear and tear. There are also modifications and cosmetic work too extensive and particular to detail. This goes right down to the motor, transmission, frame, and chasis and everything else. The contractor is well within the timeframe in specified, and that contractor is not ALF. I believe in this case it's called excellent cratsmanship that takes some time. And Yonkers really won't settle for anything less. Also, there is no apparatus with the Rescue 2 designation at this time.

Thank you billfitz and bnechis for insight on how things work.. I can now see, where having a spare rig is needed, and the reasoning behind it... I just always assumed that it would be an older rig that would be slipped into the easier life. ( not being used everyday and called up when needed )

I just always assumed that it would be an older rig that would be slipped into the easier life. ( not being used everyday and called up when needed )

Unfortinatly it often is the older rig, but we have found its not an easier life. In our case our front line engines are out of service between 10 and 20%. With 5 frontline engines and 1 spare (#2 died), the spare is inservice about 75% of the time.

The biggest problem with keeping rigs (including spares) to long in busy departments is costs. One study (South Metro in CO) determined the best economic model was no more than 8 years in front line & 2 spare. Selling the unit before it hits its 10th year (when the value drops drimatically). The maintenance costs after that start to approach the bond payments for its replacement and you have a less reliable unit.

M' Ave likes this

The biggest problem with keeping rigs (including spares) to long in busy departments is costs. One study (South Metro in CO) determined the best economic model was no more than 8 years in front line & 2 spare. Selling the unit before it hits its 10th year (when the value drops drimatically). The maintenance costs after that start to approach the bond payments for its replacement and you have a less reliable unit.

Very interesting figures about repair cost and the tipping point in an apparatus' lifetime. The rig assigned to my Co. is 9 years old and has spent a couple of months O.O.S. over the last couple of years. When we receive a spare, it's from the previous order, placing it in the '97 to '99 range and it's usually just barely breathing. As for TL's, there are a few '94's out there as spares! We would love to have a few later model TL's to take these scary rust buckets out of the spare pool and scrapped. When a rig is responding thousands of times a year and the crew is spending hours on board while testing hydrants and doing building inspections, a reliable unit that isn't rusting through or leaking exhaust into the back-step is definitely not a luxury.

As usual, there's a thread about a volunteer department, so you have to find a thread to go after career firefighters. It seems like a trend.

First, Tarrytown's situation is COMPLETLY different from Yonkers. In no way are the situations discussed are even similar. Don't even know why you are bringing this up.

Why is it that it is 2010 and we still hear things about career and volunteer ? To me it is either professional or unprofessional. There are good and bad people in both the career and volunteer fields. I concede there are volunteers who want to ride the backstep with a beer in one hand and a cigareette in the other talking about how good the old days were. THere are also career guys who still feel that no volunteer be;ongs on the same fire scene just becuase he is a volunteer regardless of how much training and professionalism he may bering. Let's accept that all and move on. Let's all celebrate the good people in this industry and help each other just like the banner on the top of the page says. A pat on the back and a handshake helps a lot more then a hammer to the head and I along with others need to remember that.

Very interesting figures about repair cost and the tipping point in an apparatus' lifetime. The rig assigned to my Co. is 9 years old and has spent a couple of months O.O.S. over the last couple of years. When we receive a spare, it's from the previous order, placing it in the '97 to '99 range and it's usually just barely breathing. As for TL's, there are a few '94's out there as spares! We would love to have a few later model TL's to take these scary rust buckets out of the spare pool and scrapped. When a rig is responding thousands of times a year and the crew is spending hours on board while testing hydrants and doing building inspections, a reliable unit that isn't rusting through or leaking exhaust into the back-step is definitely not a luxury.

Totally out of curiosity - do rigs have CO alarms in the cab? Not your job per se, but in general. I am not aware of any, but maybe a good idea....

Totally out of curiosity - do rigs have CO alarms in the cab? Not your job per se, but in general. I am not aware of any, but maybe a good idea....

Haha, no they don't. The boss wears one, so I suppose that would solve that. Realistically, if it was that bad and making guys sick that rig would go out of service.

Just FYI, changing over a rig is a process that takes the better part of a day tour. The rig must be carefully stripped of EVERYTHING from masks on down to each individual fitting. In an engine, all 2700' of hose are removed as are the spare lengths and roll-ups taking the total amount of hose far north of 3000'. 45 degree elbows are taken off of every pump panel discharge and the deck gun tips removed. There's more, lots more. Then the rig is driven to the shops, the new on picked up and always taken around the block by the chauffer. It'll also be put in pumps and flow water or put up the aerial if its a truck. Once it passes muster it has to be driven back and re-packed with everything. I'm in a double house and this process takes an hour, much more for an engine....imagine if it was a single engine or truck Co.

maybe you see things as volunteer and career... I see it as fireman. My past history questioned the lack of SCBA straps being used on an arial, lack of eye protection when operating a roof ventsaw, and now this... These questions can apply to any fireman, paid or not... so how is it getting old ?? these were all the main photos on the website, so it is what everyone sees.... and lets face it, we all second guess everything...

Anyone who knows me knows that my remark about buying two engines for the price of one would have been made regardless of the agencies involved (volunteer/paid, paid/volunteer). I think it is ridiculous and said so - not a stab, just sarcasm (again anyone who knows me realizes that sarcasm is no extra charge!).

You're right that we all do second guess everything, yet we get all hot and bothered about it and act as though we're under attack. Instead of just saying, "yeah, we could do it differently next time" or maybe just saying "yeah, so?"

As for "just seeing fireman", I wish it were that simple. Unless/until we get our collective acts together and bridge the divide between disparate training standards, non-compliance with requirements, lack of operational standards/accountability, etc. there will always be two (and sometimes more) sides. Those that lobby against training standards make it hard for the rest who fight tooth and nail for the opportunity to attend and that is disgraceful.

We can agree to disagree. No problem, you see it one way and I see it another way. What is getting old is the defensiveness of those who sit idly by while these problems persist. If everyone went to the District/Department meetings, Fire Advisory Board meetings, lobbied the associations that represent your interests in Albany and Washington, we'd be in much better shape. How many people have tried to resolve these issues vs. how many people just shrug and say that's the way it is. Time to put the defensiveness away and attack the issues instead of each other.

*prepiped waterway

*remote control TFT Deck guns

*folding light towers

*1500 GPM pumpers

*First time for YFD

Squad & Ladder

= XRT power system for extrication

= Lukas outlets recessed in front bumper

= 10K harrison generator

= 200' cord reels (2)

= 100' Hyraulic reels (2)

What kind of light towers do they use?