Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Yonkers FD Companies Closing

41 posts in this topic

I had heard that this week is the "Critical" week as it relates to the possibility of the City of Yonkers closing 2 companies and potentially closing a fire house (Station 11?). Does anyone within the Yonkers FD know if the city is planning on implementing these changes by the end of this week? I know that everyone who is a member here within EMTBravo.net are behind and support all of the Fireman and Fire Officials in the City of Yonkers. As I had posted earlier on last week, I fear that the company cuts will take place on the "East-Side" and will certainly impact, not only the Fire Supression abilities on that side of the city, but the First Responder Program as well. Last year there was talk about moving TL 75 to Station 14 and ellminating Ladder 70. Now with the talk concerning the closing of Station 11, I fear that Squad 11 will either be ellminated (which I kind of doubt) or Squad 11 may be moved to another station with another Engine Company being ellminated. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY CRAZY and I hope and pray that this does NOT happen. Outside of writing to the Mayor and City Council Members (which I have already done) can anyone within the YFD tell us all here on EMTBravo.net what they can do to help? Any and all updated information on this matter would certainly be appreciated and remember "We all have you and the YFD in our thoughts and prayers"

Dude, why are you on here starting a thread that leads people to believe that certain units within YFD are going to be shutdown or disbanded? Why not just wait and see what happens instead of trying to speculate on what will happen. You don't even LIVE in Yonkers so what's your interest?

I'm sure if the brothers from Yonkers care to shed some light on whats going on they will. Until then how about you give all the speculation a rest.

efdcapt115 likes this

You don't even LIVE in Yonkers so what's your interest?

One cannot express solidarity with fellow firefighters if they don't live in the jurisdiction?

Dude, why are you on here starting a thread that leads people to believe that certain units within YFD are going to be shutdown or disbanded? Why not just wait and see what happens instead of trying to speculate on what will happen. You don't even LIVE in Yonkers so what's your interest?

I'm sure if the brothers from Yonkers care to shed some light on whats going on they will. Until then how about you give all the speculation a rest.

If you have any intentions or hopes in staving off disastrous public safety cuts, you have to get out in front of the problem before it becomes a reality. It takes time to garner public support. You NEED some information to educate the constituents of a certain district. If the city council and the mayor in Yonkers are kicking the idea of such drastic cuts as company closures around, then that's fuel enough to start a campaign to stop them.

As someone who has a great deal of family in Yonkers, this is of utmost concern. I don't care if Santa in the North Pole writes Amicone to try and persuade him to continue funding public safety.

fjp326 likes this

Paul Krugman, the economist for the NY Times has an interesting article in todays paper. Basically, and with the title it's obvious, Krugman argues that we are in The Third Depression. Say what you want about Federal, State and local gov't policies, but Krugman argues that shutting off the spigots of funding, and this awakening of fiscal austerity on the part of local policy makers is exactly the wrong thing to be doing at this point in time; comparing what is happening to what has happened historically with the U.S. economy. In other words, making painful cuts to service is the wrong move for the economy at this time. I'm giving my opinion of what I read, you read the article if you wish, and form your own opinion. But this arguement has direct ramifications when you consider a city gov't looking to shut fire companies (if this is the case, and as was the case with NYC until the recent budget settlement there) and close other city services as a result.

....but because Republicans and conservative Democrats in Congress won’t authorize additional aid to state governments, that austerity is coming anyway, in the form of budget cuts at the state and local levels.

Why the wrong turn in policy? The hard-liners often invoke the troubles facing Greece and other nations around the edges of Europe to justify their actions. And it’s true that bond investors have turned on governments with intractable deficits. But there is no evidence that short-run fiscal austerity in the face of a depressed economy reassures investors. On the contrary: Greece has agreed to harsh austerity, only to find its risk spreads growing ever wider; Ireland has imposed savage cuts in public spending, only to be treated by the markets as a worse risk than Spain, which has been far more reluctant to take the hard-liners’ medicine.

It’s almost as if the financial markets understand what policy makers seemingly don’t: that while long-term fiscal responsibility is important, slashing spending in the midst of a depression, which deepens that depression and paves the way for deflation, is actually self-defeating.

PS: I don't think that Krugman knows all the answers. His positions are highly politcal at times, and I'm not quoting him to stir up some left-right controversy here. It's just that this article breaks down to a good reason why a city should not be considering cutting services in this economy, in my opinion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/28/opinion/28krugman.html?hp

And to underscore the point this fire in Lawrence, Mass. leaves 50 people homeless, as the understaffed fire department needed to call in so much mutual aid. Utter disaster.

Deputy fire Chief John Marsh said the situation was exacerbated by a lack of manpower and equipment caused by station closings and layoffs in his department.

Pointing out that almost as many firefighters from neighboring communities joined Lawrence firefighters at the scene, Marsh said the three pumpers, two ladder trucks and 28 city firefighters there was simply inadequate staffing.

"There were 24 or 25 guys on the tax roll of other cities putting out our fire, their eight trucks helping our five trucks," he said. "The powers that be seem to think they know what's right for the city and think it will some how work out.

"But I can tell you from experience — as someone who has been on the department 35 years, that it won't work out. And it's going to get worse after the 32 layoffs," Marsh said of budget cuts that are about to kick in.

http://www.eagletribune.com/local/x657346538/5-alarm-fire-leaves-50-homeless

One cannot express solidarity with fellow firefighters if they don't live in the jurisdiction?

you dont have to live in yonkers to not express solidarity with the firefighter. times are unfortunately tough, but even unfortunate other city governments are going to look at yonkers and say if yonkers can close 2 companies when they only have 15 or so companies( i know im off on the number). Another city will say hey if this department can close x amount when they have y amount and they are a smaller town. Then we can close XX amount because we have more units.

you dont have to live in yonkers to not express solidarity with the firefighter.

What? :huh:

What? :huh:

my apology ,i was trying to do 3 things at once. i meant just because you dont live in yonkers dosent mean you shouldnt care.

Edited by Anesti

Exactly. I am sure that many municipalities, not only in Westchester County, not only in New York State, but the entire country will look at examples, such as the City of Yonkers, where their Fire Service is looked upon in great respect, and they will say something to the affect "If Yonkers can cut 2 companies then why can't we". We all need to support our Public Services, no matter where one lives. Many of us still have families that reside in the City of Yonkers, to whom they rely greatly on the Public Services provided to them. Let your voices be heard.

you dont have to live in yonkers to not express solidarity with the firefighter. times are unfortunately tough, but even unfortunate other city governments are going to look at yonkers and say if yonkers can close 2 companies when they only have 15 or so companies( i know im off on the number). Another city will say hey if this department can close x amount when they have y amount and they are a smaller town. Then we can close XX amount because we have more units.

Paul Krugman, the economist for the NY Times has an interesting article in todays paper. Basically, and with the title it's obvious, Krugman argues that we are in The Third Depression. Say what you want about Federal, State and local gov't policies, but Krugman argues that shutting off the spigots of funding, and this awakening of fiscal austerity on the part of local policy makers is exactly the wrong thing to be doing at this point in time; comparing what is happening to what has happened historically with the U.S. economy. In other words, making painful cuts to service is the wrong move for the economy at this time. I'm giving my opinion of what I read, you read the article if you wish, and form your own opinion. But this arguement has direct ramifications when you consider a city gov't looking to shut fire companies (if this is the case, and as was the case with NYC until the recent budget settlement there) and close other city services as a result.

PS: I don't think that Krugman knows all the answers. His positions are highly politcal at times, and I'm not quoting him to stir up some left-right controversy here. It's just that this article breaks down to a good reason why a city should not be considering cutting services in this economy, in my opinion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/28/opinion/28krugman.html?hp

In regards to what Noble Laureate Paul Krugman said, economists have related shutting off the funding and making efforts to lessen the deficit to the homeowner worrying about the furniture getting wet when they have fire blowing out of two windows. In other words, they have bigger problems. In regards to this situation, you want to keep cash flowing, people employed and maintain quality of life. None of those things are accomplished by layoffs and closures.

My sympathies for YFD, Im sure I speak for a lot of us here when I say good luck...

Edited by bvfdjc316

http://yonkerstribune.typepad.com/yonkers_tribune/2010/06/mayor-amicone-to-close-two-yonkers-fire-department-companies-by-hezi-aris.html

If by 6:00 pm, on June 30, 2010, no money is earmarked in the New York State budget specific to the Yonkers Fire Department, the following cuts will take affect:

Engine Company 307, based out of Station 7, on Central Park Avenue near Yonkers Raceway will be eliminated. Squad 11 will be relocated to Station 7 from Station 11 on Bronxville Road.

Station 11 on Bronxville Road will be permanently closed, leaving no "local/neighborhood" fire service within the Armour Villa, Birch Brook, Lawrence Park West and other Eastern Portions of the City of Yonkers.

Ladder Company 70, currently located at Station 14 on Central Park Avenue by Nathan’s will be elliminated. Tower Ladder Company 75 will be relocated to Station 14 from Station 12 on Fortfield Avenue.

The Safety Battalion will also be eliminated . It will only be available if here is an extra Battalion Chief working citywide. The two Battalion Chiefs are to become Cover Battalion to fill in for any open Battalion Chief spots citywide.

The two Battalion Chiefs will not be demoted after-all, but 36 Firefighters will be laid-off - all from the recent Fire Academy Class of 2009, instead of the original 41 as planned. Six Captains will be demoted instead of 8 as originally planned due to the Battalion Chiefs not being demoted (Three Captains that will be demoted to Lieutenant will be demoted to Firefighter because they are still junior within the Lieutenants’ rank) and 30 Lieutenants will be demoted to Firefighters.

The YFD has a minimum manning clause so there will still be 57 Firefighters riding on all tours, just as do currently, but there will be 6 "extra" firefighters, since there are three to a rig per tour, so the Firefighters assigned to Engine company 307 and Ladder 70 will be riding as “extra” on specified rigs. Thereby, some companies may ride one Fire Officer and 4 or 5 Firefighters instead of the one Fire Officer and 3 Firefighters, as all rigs are currently configured.

Well I guess that's it. The situation looks pretty hopeless. Two YFD companies gone for good, plus the Safety Battalion(half gone). YFD's fleet will now be(if the cuts go through) 9 Engines(10 with the Squad), 5 Ladders, and 1 Rescue. That's a pretty drastic cutback for a city the size of Yonkers. 36 Firefighters laid off too!!!

Let's hope that there's still a chance that some money gets through to the YFD by June 30th.

Effective at 0800hrs this morning, Safety B/C and Ladder 70 closed. Ladder 75 is relocated to Station 14. Squad 11 is still open. 36 Firefighters have been layed off and 34 demoted.

Yep, a far cry from when YFD had 13 Engine Companies (Engines 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14); 7 Truck/Ladder Companies (Truck 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, & 7) and Rescue 1 back in 1975.

Well I guess that's it. The situation looks pretty hopeless. Two YFD companies gone for good, plus the Safety Battalion(half gone). YFD's fleet will now be(if the cuts go through) 9 Engines(10 with the Squad), 5 Ladders, and 1 Rescue. That's a pretty drastic cutback for a city the size of Yonkers. 36 Firefighters laid off too!!!

Let's hope that there's still a chance that some money gets through to the YFD by June 30th.

so was engine 307 saved??

As of now.. Who knows what the future holds

http://www.yonkersfire.org/

Closure of Station 8 (scheduled to close on July 9th @ 0800)

Posted On: Jul 07, 2010 (10:51:23)

The City of Yonkers is planning to close the "Second Fire House" in the past week, along with the 36 firefighters who have already been laid off, and 34 who were demoted, further jeopordizing the safety of the Citizens of Yonkers, as well as the Firefighters...............

Did I just read that correctly? New Orleans is using Federal Grant funding to hire on additional fire fighters in order to keep and maintain proper standard fire protection for its community and its citizens? Hmmm, what a novel concept and one that maybe some people should have looked at here a long time ago?

Did I just read that correctly? New Orleans is using Federal Grant funding to hire on additional fire fighters in order to keep and maintain proper standard fire protection for its community and its citizens? Hmmm, what a novel concept and one that maybe some people should have looked at here a long time ago?

New Orleans Fire received a SAFER grant from the Feds on June 25, 2010:

http://www.firegrantsupport.com/content/html/safer/Awards09.aspx

Good job for New Orleans. They need it just as much as the rest of us.

It is an atrocity to think that by closing fire companies in this day and age is a smart thing to even think about doing. Shame on the City of Yonkers and their backwards thinking and for putting the people who live in, work in and visit the City of Yonkers in danger. I

I drove by Station #14 today. The sign out front that used to say "Your firehouse maybe closing" now says "Your firehouse IS closing."

I hope something changes and the closed / closing companies re-open and all of the brothers get their jobs back.

I wonder if they are cutting funding to section 8 and public housing? Here they lay off good people who put their lives on the line to protect others and they are blind to even realize there are animals and savages in the projects getting public funding and have 60 inch TV's, Sound systems better than any club you have been to and a Benz parked in the lot out front.

Complete and utter cr@p politics.

I wonder if they are cutting funding to section 8 and public housing?

Section 8 is paid for by HUD and can only be used for that function. If they cut it they have to give it back.

For another thread.....you are right they do not deserve the 60" TV & sound

Section 8 is paid for by HUD and can only be used for that function. If they cut it they have to give it back.

For another thread.....you are right they do not deserve the 60" TV & sound

LOL Sorry Chris, was a rant on my part, just fishes me off to see this and good public servants are losing their livelihoods.

It's not novel and it's not unique to New Orleans. http://www.firegrantsupport.com/content/html/safer/Awards09.aspx

Isn't there a limit to the duration of the grants after which the municipality must continue paying for the FFs?