Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SRS131EMTFF

N.Y. Passes New Emergency Light Law

37 posts in this topic

Personally, if this is for safety, which is certainly is, as blue makes a HUGE difference both day and night, it should not matter to anybody.

batt2 and FiftyOnePride like this

I agree, anything that can be done to increase safety should always be a priority. We have all been at scenes where we just shake our heads at how people drive when they are near emergency vehicles, the danger is real.

Well from what I read, this is sort of a pointless law. It is saying that apparatus and chiefs can now you a blue light on the backs of there vehicles. Not sure how this is a good thing since really any flashing light will do the job. I think that if you don't see that rig with the current red and white pattern then adding a blue is not gonna change anything. Proper rig placement on the road is what saves lives, not a blue light. Plus who wants a blue light anyway?

Well from what I read, this is sort of a pointless law. It is saying that apparatus and chiefs can now you a blue light on the backs of there vehicles. Not sure how this is a good thing since really any flashing light will do the job. I think that if you don't see that rig with the current red and white pattern then adding a blue is not gonna change anything. Proper rig placement on the road is what saves lives, not a blue light. Plus who wants a blue light anyway?

Blue and Yellow lights have been proven to be more effective in deterring drivers. Where as red is proven to attract.

You are 100% correct about rig placement, and that is very important, but, the blue flashing lights make a big difference, especially when moving. It makes the vehicle much more pronounced and it stands out much clearer and further away, letting those every few people, was we all know, move to the side. It makes no difference what color for the rest of the lamebrains because they would not move no matter what color the lights were.

Sooo my chief and my fire truck can have all the colors they want facing backwards to protect themselves but i can only have what color and how many lights facing backwards on my POV so i don't get hit putting my gear on at a scene??? (NOT a highway scene where as my dept you do not respond to highway calls in your POV. The scene I refer to is you a-typical town road or busy street or side street where there is still traffic going at if not OVER 30mph) Hmm.

Sooo my chief and my fire truck can have all the colors they want facing backwards to protect themselves but i can only have what color and how many lights facing backwards on my POV so i don't get hit putting my gear on at a scene??? (NOT a highway scene where as my dept you do not respond to highway calls in your POV. The scene I refer to is you a-typical town road or busy street or side street where there is still traffic going at if not OVER 30mph) Hmm.

Park in front of them or move to CT where you can have blue lights in your POV! :P

I think it will have an effect no one realizes...as people get accustomed to seeing police cars and fire trucks with blue lights, they may become more apt to yeild to firefighters running a blue light.....just food for thought...

the blue flashing lights make a big difference, especially when moving. It makes the vehicle much more pronounced and it stands out much clearer and further away, letting those every few people, was we all know, move to the side. It makes no difference what color for the rest of the lamebrains because they would not move no matter what color the lights were.

It is still illegal to use forward facing blue lights on police & fire vehicles.

I think it will have an effect no one realizes...as people get accustomed to seeing police cars and fire trucks with blue lights, they may become more apt to yeild to firefighters running a blue light.....just food for thought...

Very valid point x129K. I am happy that his law passed, it may appears to be minor and insignificant but in reality it is very important and crucial to ensuring firefighter have the safest scenes possible. Many tests have been done on the visibility of different color LED's blue is very visible both at day and at night. I do not quite understand how some people can have a problem with this law...but as always, you can't please everyone.

It is still illegal to use forward facing blue lights on police & fire vehicles.

did anyone relay that message to any of our local Police dept , everyone has blue in the front I DONT care what color scheme they have at all but why snub a law that is CLEAR , its about the law not the blue light in general

did anyone relay that message to any of our local Police dept , everyone has blue in the front I DONT care what color scheme they have at all but why snub a law that is CLEAR , its about the law not the blue light in general

This law is mostly a formality that legalizes what was already a common practice, at least in my area. What's regrettable is that unlike some other states (notably California) there is virtually no enforcement of emergency light laws in New York. For years many police and fire depts. have had blue lights to the front and nothing gets done about it. Ditto re: some volunteer F/F's that have illegal blue and white lights on their pov's. What's also regrettable is that the ignorant public probably doesn't know the difference anyway......

Edited by engine968

I do know of a few fire dept's. In Dutchess county who have blue lights on there rigs and in there chief cars faceing frunt. Im told by them we are vollinteer, and it helps get people's attion and helps out there members cuse people dont know what u are they just move over really just give everyone red light's cuse all we do is drive with the blue lights on to get in the truck with red lights at one point i had more lights blue and white in the frunt of my truck then some chief's and had blue, red and yellow out the rear and on foggy nights and in rain the blue stands out the best my old fire house has had blue on the back of every truck for over a year now and it helps like someone said red and yellow will drow you to it but bule wakes you up. just my 2 cents

xfirefighter484x likes this

I do know of a few fire dept's. In Dutchess county who have blue lights on there rigs and in there chief cars faceing frunt. Im told by them we are vollinteer, and it helps get people's attion and helps out there members cuse people dont know what u are they just move over really just give everyone red light's cuse all we do is drive with the blue lights on to get in the truck with red lights at one point i had more lights blue and white in the frunt of my truck then some chief's and had blue, red and yellow out the rear and on foggy nights and in rain the blue stands out the best my old fire house has had blue on the back of every truck for over a year now and it helps like someone said red and yellow will drow you to it but bule wakes you up. just my 2 cents

Also when will the law change to say any blue lights. U show me today where someone can put one blue light 360 dagree at 20 candle power, cuse everyone i know has leds and alot more then one with the way people drive today like someone also said getting ready behind his car if a light is on the roof and the hatch is open sometimes you cant see it.

Just a few things, first off I think that the majority of us agree that any additional warning lights on any vehicle to keep members safe is a great thing. Second, I think it is a COMPLETE waste of time to pass laws that regulate what color lights go on which emergency vehicles, each department should put whatever color lights they deem necessary for the safety of their members.

As far as the posters who were complaining about the local PD's not following "the law" You guys are kidding right ? Why would you even care what color lights the PD uses, the fact is that we have had blue lights for years and we will continue to use blue lights because as we have established in this thread, blue lights give advanced warning to drivers. Do you really think a cop would walk up to the driver of a fire truck and give him a hard time for the color lights on his light bar, NO because we have better things to do besides worry about the color of a light and so do you guys.

The best example of PD using blue lights is the NYSP. The went from all red to having some blue lights on their bars and to me it makes a huge difference when you see them on the highway.

JM15 and x129K like this

Just a few things, first off I think that the majority of us agree that any additional warning lights on any vehicle to keep members safe is a great thing. Second, I think it is a COMPLETE waste of time to pass laws that regulate what color lights go on which emergency vehicles, each department should put whatever color lights they deem necessary for the safety of their members.

As far as the posters who were complaining about the local PD's not following "the law" You guys are kidding right ? Why would you even care what color lights the PD uses, the fact is that we have had blue lights for years and we will continue to use blue lights because as we have established in this thread, blue lights give advanced warning to drivers. Do you really think a cop would walk up to the driver of a fire truck and give him a hard time for the color lights on his light bar, NO because we have better things to do besides worry about the color of a light and so do you guys.

The best example of PD using blue lights is the NYSP. The went from all red to having some blue lights on their bars and to me it makes a huge difference when you see them on the highway.

Great point... What ever gets all of us home safe is most important. I also think that an issue like this is a huge waste of time for legislation. We shouldn't be worrying about who has what color lights and who violates what law or regulation, but how we can serve the public more efficiently and safer.

Can't everyone just get along? Including PDs, FDs and the NYS Govenrment :D

play-nice-sign.jpg

Can't everyone just get along? Including PDs, FDs and the NYS Govenrment :D

play-nice-sign.jpg

I know the PD and the FD can always get along but i think the NYS government makes it difficult for anyone to ever get along with them !!!

x129K and helicopper like this

ABSOLUTELY!

I have the "luxury" of running the gauntlet between Poughkeepsie and Millbrook each night after my tour...and you can totally notice the blue flashing from a good distance..VERY attention grabbing.

And I would like to take this opportunity to thank those kind Troopers I talk to about every week on said travel route...LOL

Check out this YouTube video. This is one of NYSP's old Fedral Signal Vista Lightbars. Now they use whelen liberies with colored lenses. If you look towards the end, you will see the blue rear facing lights. The Blue is much stronger then the red and amber. This is not my video.

Edited by firedude

Check out this YouTube video. This is one of NYSP's old Fedral Signal Vista Lightbars. Now they use whelen liberies with colored lenses. If you look towards the end, you will see the blue rear facing lights. The Blue is much stronger then the red and amber.

I just watched the video and from a distance the red lights almost looked orange which all drivers associate with tow trucks or construction vehicles and really don't slow down for them.

I just watched the video and from a distance the red lights almost looked orange which all drivers associate with tow trucks or construction vehicles and really don't slow down for them.

ok, true. But what about these.

NYSP Slicktop...

LVMPD Lightbar...

ok, true. But what about these.

NYSP Slicktop...

LVMPD Lightbar...

I think the strobes in the brake lights in the troop car look orange again. Putting emergency lights and making them effective on a slick top is a tough on a slick top. As for the LVMPD car goes, i was never a big fan of the V bar but the reds look red to me. As far as i'm concerned, every piece of emergency should look like a christmas tree for our safety.

Blah blah blah...........warning lights people......warning lights!

WHO CARES!

I ride around in a big red engine or truck. It has flashing lights and we use it on streets highways ect.....The only thing that is really going to make a difference for your safety is YOU! Use your head and pay attention. I've been standing on the highway and seen people work REALLY hard to squeeze their car between the flares we put up to close a portion of the road. I've had motorcycles weave right through the firemen on the scene.

Lights, stripes, ribbons, flares don't matter that much. The only thing that will keep you safe is using your head and some proper rig placement. The only thing that's going to keep you safe and stop drivers from coming near you while you work is to make them UNABLE to.

FFFORD and Boss159 like this

Have you ever seen a trooper with someone pulled over at night from a distance the blue lights over power the reds by far

Capt.

Does NRFD use amber lights to the side or rear?

ABSOLUTELY!

I have the "luxury" of running the gauntlet between Poughkeepsie and Millbrook each night after my tour...and you can totally notice the blue flashing from a good distance..VERY attention grabbing.

And I would like to take this opportunity to thank those kind Troopers I talk to about every week on said travel route...LOL

Me to , going to my place upstate. I said to one that I was " ON THE JOB" and he said "THATS NICE YOU HAVE A JOB! LIS AND REG" !

It has been proven that this is not true. Years ago, when the NY State Police only had red rear facing lights they were plagued with many rear-end collisions. One of their really sharp EVOC guys (Faugh, I believe) did a study and they demonstrated that adding amber to the rear-facing lights significantly reduced the number of collisions.

Blue has been proven to be even more effective than amber so the color definitely does play a role.

Of course when 11 vehicles all with lights flashing, strobing, oscillating, wig-wagging, and blinking are all over the road, it does make it difficult to navigate. :blink: