Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Stamford Engine 1 After Being Struck On I-95

34 posts in this topic

Photos reposted with permission. Thanks to the submitter and the original photographer for sharing this wake up call.

Struck by tractor trailer while at a scene on Interstate 95. HME "Ahrens Fox" stainless steel body.

More details in the Incident Alert: http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=38703

*****NO MEMBERS WERE HURT********

post-11-001290600 1286226855.jpg

post-11-099825800 1286226847.jpg

Photos reposted with permission. Thanks to the submitter and the original photographer for sharing this wake up call.

Seems like this happened around 0200 this morning. Two engines had been operating on the scene, Engine 1 and I believe Engine 6, at a car fire. Engine 6 had cleared the scene while Engine 1 was cleaning up. A TT crossed over the lanes and struck Engine 1. Thankfully no one was hurt.

ouch. Poor truck. Good think no one was hurt

No firefighters, but the Trooper had to get stitches as a result of injuries from flying debris.

Wow, good thing no one was hurt!!! I guess this means either SFRD Engine 10, 12, or 14 will take it's place for now. It's hard to tell if they'll repair it or not, seeing the extent of the damage. They may end up just getting a new one.

Wow, good thing no one was hurt!!! I guess this means either SFRD Engine 10, 12, or 14 will take it's place for now. It's hard to tell if they'll repair it or not, seeing the extent of the damage. They may end up just getting a new one.

Remember always better the rig take the hit than the person. I would like to know if proper apparatus placement prevented injuries so that we can all learn.

The body seems to have taken a hit, as did the powertrain and frame, but the cab and pump panel seem OK from that one angle. I'm sure someone with the facts can fill us in on the damage.

HME uses stainless steel, or was this aluminum?

Twin Lights could probaly do a lot of the repair and probaly will, but I don't know if they'll fabricate a new body.

The body seems to have taken a hit, as did the powertrain and frame, but the cab and pump panel seem OK from that one angle. I'm sure someone with the facts can fill us in on the damage.

HME uses stainless steel, or was this aluminum?

Twin Lights could probaly do a lot of the repair and probaly will, but I don't know if they'll fabricate a new body.

The rig was positioned between on-coming traffic and operating fire personnel. The rig took the hit and not the personnel.

All Stainless Body.

Way too early to tell if will be repaired or disposed of.

The 2002 HME (former E4) will be utilized.

Fire Trucks can be repaired or replaced. The 4 Fire Fighters working on the other side of the impact zone can not!

A good visual example of why we need to place "big red" between us and them.

batt2, x129K and M' Ave like this

Just an eye opener about what could happen if that semi was half a lane to the right. The engine would have been totaled, probably running over the four guys standing in front of the engine plus whoever else was around. I am not sure how far, or even if, the engine got pushed forward. A lot of people are under the impression that the engine will stop everything, but in this case the truck kept going for some distance beyond the engine, right past the pump panel.

Thank God that no one got hurt. The truck sure took a hard hit. What years was Engine 1? I guess that is one way to get a new engine.

For an Engine that took a TT at "Full Speed" according to the IA, I'd say she held up pretty well! Thank good no one was badly injured! Reason 873 why we should be using blockers!!

As the driver of SFRD Engine 1 this morning I just want to say that ALL precautions were taken while we were operating at a fully involved vehicle fire. The vehicle that was on fire was located in the breakdown lane of I-95 southbound. CSP had two patrol cars on scene , both with their emergency lights operating, both blocking the breakdown lane. As we approached the scene I positioned the engine approximately 75' short of the fire and at an angle that took control of the center and right lanes of I-95. CSP had also put out road flares to warn southbound vehicles of the hazard. Second due SFRD Engine 6 arrived shortly thereafter and also blocked the right two lanes of I95. During the incident the left lane of I-95 remained open and vehicle traffic was passing the scene at full posted speed limit (55) and at much greater speeds, in my estimation.  After extinguishment Engine 6 was clesared and Engine 1 remained on scene. The crash ocurred as the damaged vehicle from the fire was being loaded on a flatbed wrecker. The impact was immense! The tractor trailer continued down I95 approximately 600 yards after impact. Fortunately all three firefighters and our Officer were unhurt by the impact or flying debris. One of the CSP Troopers was hit by debris and was transported to Stamford Hospital for minor injuries. The tow operator was uninjured. The impact from the tractor trailer lifted the rear of the apparatus 1-2' off the ground and forward approximately 4'. The vehicle's maxi brake was applied as well as the rear tire being  chocked. All members were wearing high reflective safety vests over turn-out gear. The cab and trailer suffered signifigant damage as well. The SOG's developed by the SFRD concerning apparatus placement at vehicle fires DEFINATELY prevented injury to SFRD personel. <br>

As the driver of SFRD Engine 1 this morning I just want to say that ALL precautions were taken while we were operating at a fully involved vehicle fire. The vehicle that was on fire was located in the breakdown lane of I-95 southbound. CSP had two patrol cars on scene , both with their emergency lights operating, both blocking the breakdown lane. As we approached the scene I positioned the engine approximately 75' short of the fire and at an angle that took control of the center and right lanes of I-95. CSP had also put out road flares to warn southbound vehicles of the hazard. Second due SFRD Engine 6 arrived shortly thereafter and also blocked the right two lanes of I95. During the incident the left lane of I-95 remained open and vehicle traffic was passing the scene at full posted speed limit (55) and at much greater speeds, in my estimation.  After extinguishment Engine 6 was clesared and Engine 1 remained on scene. The crash ocurred as the damaged vehicle from the fire was being loaded on a flatbed wrecker. The impact was immense! The tractor trailer continued down I95 approximately 600 yards after impact. Fortunately all three firefighters and our Officer were unhurt by the impact or flying debris. One of the CSP Troopers was hit by debris and was transported to Stamford Hospital for minor injuries. The tow operator was uninjured. The impact from the tractor trailer lifted the rear of the apparatus 1-2' off the ground and forward approximately 4'. The vehicle's maxi brake was applied as well as the rear tire being  chocked. All members were wearing high reflective safety vests over turn-out gear. The cab and trailer suffered signifigant damage as well. The SOG's developed by the SFRD concerning apparatus placement at vehicle fires DEFINATELY prevented injury to SFRD personel. <br>

Thanks for the first hand account of what happened.... Glad everyone is ok

?

Did you throw out your boxers at the scene, or once you got back to the firehouse?

?

Did you throw out your boxers at the scene, or once you got back to the firehouse?

I woulda tossed out my whole load of bunkers!

I woulda tossed out my whole load of bunkers!

Who knows....they might have! :lol:

Great pix by the photographer. Talk about takin a lickin.

Good to hear no one was hurt. Sorry about the truck I know how it feels we hit a car pulling out about 5 years ago. GOD B WITH U GUYS.

So let me see if I have this visual correct;

Engine was rear end out towards the center lane correct?

So the pump operator was on the protected "upside" of the rig?

Basically, the tractor-trailer "clipped" the left rear corner as it sped by "moving over" into the left lane?

I gotta say......you guys are more than lucky. Yes, you followed SOG and it may have saved lives here.

But that rig rolling at 55+ with a load carries one heck of a velocity.

Your officer deserves credit for ensuring all members followed SOGs, down to your reflective vests.

You all deserve a "dodged a bullet" citation.

God Bless you all. Go to church and say your thanks.

x635 likes this

Good to hear no one was hurt. Sorry about the truck I know how it feels we hit a car pulling out about 5 years ago. GOD B WITH U GUYS.

So let me see if I have this visual correct;

Engine was rear end out towards the center lane correct?

So the pump operator was on the protected "upside" of the rig?

Basically, the tractor-trailer "clipped" the left rear corner as it sped by "moving over" into the left lane?

I gotta say......you guys are more than lucky. Yes, you followed SOG and it may have saved lives here.

But that rig rolling at 55+ with a load carries one heck of a velocity.

Your officer deserves credit for ensuring all members followed SOGs, down to your reflective vests.

You all deserve a "dodged a bullet" citation.

God Bless you all. Go to church and say your thanks.

Amen on the SOG's and No one getting Injured. Perfect example of why we have these in place......

Edited by x1243

SFRD372 glad to hear you and your crew-mates are all okay. Speedy recovery for the Trooper.

Very glad everyone was Ok. The scary thing to think about is that if the tractor trailer were a little farther to the right it the outcome would have been much worse. A 40,000 rig is no match for an 80,000 tractor trailer. That's the scary thing about operating on I-95 I guess.

However, as Efdcapt115 mentioned, the angle played a big role in the members' safety. I think the first inclination would be to pull up to the car, then nose away from the scene towards the middle of the road to create the larger safety zone and it naturally deflects cars away from the truck instead of pushing the truck into the scene. This is what state troopers have been doing at traffic stops, including turning their wheels full lock to the left so if they are hit from the rear, the cruiser has a greater chance of being pushed away from the scene to the left.

HOWEVER, with an engine at a car fire, as E1 demonstrated, it's far more important to pull in at an opposite angle and protect the pump panel!!

Thats the reason why on the new engine 58 [PCFD] we have two front trash lines to help keep the men in front of and then to the safe side of the rig and not the sides or rear to get a hose line in operation. Stay safe brothers!

post-289-005330500 1286294167.jpg

At the exit of almost all Texas DOT maintainence yards......

post-11-019960500 1286296508.jpg

(Photo by me January 2008)

Glad to see everyone and safe and able to return to work. Good luck with the replacement of the truck.

Let me just say Thank You driver for today we are discussing the incident and lamenting the loss of a fine piece of equipment instead of mourning the four LODDs/LODIs that could have been....

I just want to point out what a strong brotherhood Stamford FD has. They've fought for safety measures.

http://www.local786.org/

I only hope this brings Truck 1 onto I-95 as a barrier for the Engine. Also hope they don't replace Engine with another HME! Stamford should be a Seagrave or Pierce city!!

Seth you know that its going to be another HME thats who they have the Contract with.

all others that have posted the glad you all are ok i thank you from my sister and i.Today i thank the lord that he was watching out for E-1 Crew that night, Because my Father Tom Tisano SR was the driver and from what he is telling me is that about 3 minutes before the crash occured, he was at the pump Panel and he would have probly been hurt very bad or even today i would be attending a LODD Funeral for my father. I agree with some of the posts on other ways to do things but being a firefighter myself i would have put the Engine in the same placement as my father did, two reasons why i would do it.

1 it protects the crew working the scene, and 2 it protects the Pump Panel from oncomming traffic and when i am at the pump panel i can see all members of my crew and not have to walk around the truck to see if they are safe.

Thats is just my two cents on the subject.

Tom Tisano JR

Bnechis and efdcapt115 like this