Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
prucha25

Four Loko

42 posts in this topic

By now I'm sure a lot of you who respond to EMS calls have run into at least one young person who has drank to much of that new drink Four Loko. For those who don't know what it is, it's a 23.5 oz alcoholic drink flavored ( grape, orange, etc.) which has a 12 percent alcohol content, and the same amount of caffeine of a 12 oz coffee. It has become very popular with high schoolers and college students. Over the last few weeks pretty much every drunken person under the age of 25 I've picked up has been drinking this " blackout in a can". I know that people are pushing to get this drink banned, but before it ever gets there we still have to deal with the fact that it's on the street. I was wondering if anyone else noticed an jump in younger people drinking to much recently, or have had calls attributed this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_%28drink%29

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2010/10/19/2010-10-19_four_loko_an_alcoholic_energy_drink_is_banned_at_a_new_jersey_college.html

x635 and spc0806 like this

Stuff is bad news. If you do the math each 23.5oz can has 6 beers and 4 cups of coffee in each one.

Its all the rage, best advice to anyone drinking according to my roommate who is a fan is to moderate, know your limits and drink plenty of water. Best advice to EMS is get ready for more EDPs, intoxs and drunk injuries because the craze has yet to break.

Edited by bvfdjc316

As a highschooler, this stuff is everywhere. I don't drink so I have never had one, but I have heard many stories about people when they drink them. Four Loko's are so bad that New Jersey has a plan to ban them from being sold in their state. Teenagers believe that since Alcohol is a depressant, that the caffine will balance the alcohol out and nothing will happen. Just another Stupid teenage myth.

Four Loko's are very popular and I can only imagine the increase in popularity will continue. But can you really blame kids? I mean Four Loko's provide kids with something that will get them drunk and for very cheap. I believe they sell for $2.39 at the 7-11 in my town. Some people believe that Four Loko's was named because inventors realized that the drink puts the drinker through "four stages" all of which are "loko." The fourth stage of course being a sick stage that often ends with a blackout. I understand why states are looking to ban this drink. I also realize that this drink is not available in a lot of New York. I know at school in St. Lawrence County, most residents have never even heard of Four Loko's and they are not sold anywhere. But it seems that when something like Four Loko's are banned, it just allows for someone else to brew up a new concoction that gets people drunk and is appealing to young people. As per the topic of the thread, I do not think I have done any ETOH calls due to excesses consumption of Four Loko's but I do know that I have heard of people who should have probably gone oto the hospital because of consuming the drink.

I personally do not drink Four Loko's as I would much rather prefer to sit in at Foley's Club Lounge and enjoy a cold pint of Captain Lawrence Kolsch. **Highly recommended**

As a highschooler, this stuff is everywhere. I don't drink so I have never had one, but I have heard many stories about people when they drink them. Four Loko's are so bad that New Jersey has a plan to ban them from being sold in their state. Teenagers believe that since Alcohol is a depressant, that the caffine will balance the alcohol out and nothing will happen. Just another Stupid teenage myth.

Its not a myth. The problem lies in that the "teenagers" you mention have so much energy from the caffine that they do not realize exactly how intoxicated they actually are so they end up ingesting more alcohol than their system can tolerate and process well and they end up overly intoxicated or alcohol poisoned.

I have had to deal with this situation in my own personal life outside of EMS when this has happened to friends. Quite simply this drink causes one to misjudge their tolerance and limits regarding alcohol leading to highly negative and detrimental consequences (not unlike drinking alcohol outright, only in this case your body is falsely convinced it can go longer with the caffine).

Its not a myth. The problem lies in that the "teenagers" you mention have so much energy from the caffine that they do not realize exactly how intoxicated they actually are so they end up ingesting more alcohol than their system can tolerate and process well and they end up overly intoxicated or alcohol poisoned.

I have had to deal with this situation in my own personal life outside of EMS when this has happened to friends. Quite simply this drink causes one to misjudge their tolerance and limits regarding alcohol leading to highly negative and detrimental consequences (not unlike drinking alcohol outright, only in this case your body is falsely convinced it can go longer with the caffine).

This problem is nothing new, only cheaper. If you've been to any club anywhere you know that Red-Bull and Vodka is as common a drink as any.

This problem is nothing new, only cheaper. If you've been to any club anywhere you know that Red-Bull and Vodka is as common a drink as any.

The difference is that this is being specifically marketed to college kids and young adults. A red bull and vodka is something you get in a bar, somewhere that is not usually available to someone who would be drinking a 4 loko.

Bloody nanny states, banning stuff. If it isn't this, it'll be strong cheap cider. Or fortified wine. Or extra strength lager. There's always some 'demon drink' politicians (who feel they MUST be seen to be doing something to keep their jobs) latch on to, to scapegoat and try to ban. Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Some idiots will always think it's clever to get legless, whatever they're drinking.

Some of my LE friends were talking about this the other day, I remember in High School, Red Bull and Vodka was the concern, Now its a cheaper more efficient way to drink, and get drunk...

As an EMT on a college campus, I can attest to how much these drinks mess people up. They have been banning them recently near campus due to the fact that not only are we getting calls for EToH (possible intoxication) on campus, but the paid services are getting slammed with calls off campus, and when you only have so many rigs out a night.... It seems almost every time we go to a room for a call a can of Four Loko is sitting in the garbage or on the desk. Not only that, but it the consensus seems to be that it only takes 1 or 2 cans to make you black out.

The problem with that is now we either have someone who is unconscious, or someone who has no idea what is going on, and usually ends up becoming combative. Combine it with someone who has fallen and slammed into the ground, and it just makes everything even more interesting for us.

Edited by EmtFire42

The difference is that this is being specifically marketed to college kids and young adults. A red bull and vodka is something you get in a bar, somewhere that is not usually available to someone who would be drinking a 4 loko.

If you can get Four Loko or any of the other similar drinks than you can also get your hands on Vodka. It's a matter of taste and how fast you want to get f*@@*d up.

As a test, I've just picked up and drank my first Four Loko. Hmmmm...

So fur sa goad...

Ik's net doong nuthin...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

head first conk on the keyboards.

(just a little dark humor).

If you can get Four Loko or any of the other similar drinks than you can also get your hands on Vodka. It's a matter of taste and how fast you want to get f*@@*d up.

Honestly I dont think that is true. You can buy 4loko in any gas station, bodega or corner store, really anywhere beer or soda is sold. That is why we see so many ABC compliance checks at these locations. Vodka on the other hand is only purchased at licensed distributors like liquor stores.

As any teenager will tell you it is easier to get beer, cigarettes etc from a bodega then liquor from a liquor store simply due to clerk attentiveness and motivation.

Its a matter of being cheap, honestly 6 beers from between $2-5 is not bad at all in this economy, it so just happens that this product in particular is being marketed to young people and college students.

Edited by bvfdjc316

hey all just wanna through my 2 cents in as i am a person who works at a beer distrubition warehouse. this drink like all the others has been mistaken for the arizona cans espcially the watermelon one. i saw on the news a few months ago in mamaronack that they are pushing hard to get this drink banned... because the beer industry is so large and powerful i dont think this will happen. what you are gonna see is a bunch of label changes on these cans as in a change in color and or a change in name. with all the beer that is released everyday by one company 5 more go out from another.

also watch out there is another drink out call TILT it is distrubed by Anhiser-bush

hey all just wanna through my 2 cents in as i am a person who works at a beer distrubition warehouse. this drink like all the others has been mistaken for the arizona cans espcially the watermelon one. i saw on the news a few months ago in mamaronack that they are pushing hard to get this drink banned... because the beer industry is so large and powerful i dont think this will happen. what you are gonna see is a bunch of label changes on these cans as in a change in color and or a change in name. with all the beer that is released everyday by one company 5 more go out from another.

also watch out there is another drink out call TILT it is distrubed by Anhiser-bush

Joose also provides a cheap alcoholic drink that offers 12% ABV. This is just not in the news as often. It also offers more flavors.

Tonight I actually did "experiment" with 2 cans of Four Loko, 1 grape and 1 friut punch. I can absolutely see how dangerous this crap is. If you can get over the taste after a couple cans your are pretty buzzed. I'm surprised I can still type...I see why they are pushing to ban this stuff. BUT you can ban this and something else will come along. I strongly believe the focus should be on enforcement of the laws and preventing the sales from minors. If your 21 and still want to act like a jerk after drinking the stuff then you are just immature and don't know when to say STOP!

Enough with my drunken rant, party on!

You have idiots that drink regular booze and still black out from drinking to much, and unfortunately the teenagers and underage teenagers give the drink a bad rap. If ur 21 and you're stupid enough to drink till you black out or give yourself ETOH poisoning then ya know what, you're a moron and should probably stop drinking. Have I drank too much and puked? Hell yea and it sucks, but I never ended up in an ER or had to call an ambulance. If you don't know your limit then stick to O'Douls or something. lol

I don't think banning it is going to fix the problem cuz either way you slice it, high school kids and college kids will still have ways to get booze and I don't think it's the drink itself. It's the inexperience of the drinker. Now ok ok, Is four loko the safest thing in the world? I'll admit that it's probably not.

Take a look at the local ERs on a thrus, fri, or sat night. With Marist and Vassar near by there is at least 3 a night that come in cuz they drank too much. Ooops ! lol

FFBlaser likes this

This is all media hype. Every couple years there's a new product that is ruining society. It was zima, then hard cider, then redbull, and now this.

This is all media hype. Every couple years there's a new product that is ruining society. It was zima, then hard cider, then redbull, and now this.

I agree 100 % what's going to happen is that with all this litigation and news coverage it makeing it ten times more popular then it was be for. And from my own experience teens are drinking it to look kool not cause it taste good

I drank 2 and a half of these last weekend... These types of drinks have been around for years, but only recently has Four Loko gotten media attention which is leading to the increased popularity. Think about it if you publish all over the news how popular and dangerous this drink is and how the government doesn't want you drinking it (think Marijuana) your doing the best marketing on behalf of the company. Within the last couple of weeks the national attention this drink has received has made more people try it especially on college campuses. I did.

I drank 2 and a half of these last weekend... These types of drinks have been around for years, but only recently has Four Loko gotten media attention which is leading to the increased popularity. Think about it if you publish all over the news how popular and dangerous this drink is and how the government doesn't want you drinking it (think Marijuana) your doing the best marketing on behalf of the company. Within the last couple of weeks the national attention this drink has received has made more people try it especially on college campuses. I did.

I agree with how all of this media coverage is just promoting the drink. I mean if you look at this post, there have been a handful of people who have tried the drink just because of this thread. Imagine how many kids will try it if they continue to see it in the news and here discussions about it. I think all the media coverage is doing further damage. Banning will not work, this has been done before. Shortly after one thing is banned something more powerful comes along and gets into the hands of kids, and irresponsible adults.

My girlfriend's school sent out an email warning everybody of the dangers. This stuff just exploded. Its everywhere now... Craziness. Sounds pretty disgusting to me. I'll stick with my Jameson and beer thanks very much.

I actually just read in the blotter section of the new haven register that some guy drank this and woke up on a couch and started strangling people because they were trying to " light him on fire". He also broke out the front bay windows of a house and his car. This stuff sounds pretty nasty. I'm not in the ems field but I can deffinitly see problems even on a typical activated alarm and being confronted with a violent drunk that's been drinkng this.

you can always ban things.... however after speaking with some people from pheniox beverage (distrabution rights in westchester, putnam, dutchess, and rockland) yesterday they did state that the company who makes the drink is attempting to make a new brand of drink that has less Alcohol % then what is currently being offered.

NYTimes reporting that the maker of 4loko will no longer be shipping it to NY.

NYTimes reporting that the maker of 4loko will no longer be shipping it to NY.

Interesting...

I spent a weekend up in Potsdam recently (for those who don't know, it's entirely a college town) and really didn't see any difference than normal. If it isn't 4 Loko, it's something else. When we were in college, we used to take the 26 mile trip up to the beer store in Canada to get Molson XXX or Labatt's Maximum. The Red Bull drinks have been a staple at college bars for a number of years. The kids I talked to in Potsdam really had no great affinity for 4 Lokos, basically saying that these drinks screw up their plans to drink all night and .... ummm ... have "relations" at the the end of the night.

Quite honestly, I'm sick of government trying to legislate responsibility. 4 Loko is just another fad. It will go away as quickly as the last if people just let it be because most people agree they taste horrible.

JetPhoto likes this

I spent a weekend up in Potsdam recently (for those who don't know, it's entirely a college town) and really didn't see any difference than normal. If it isn't 4 Loko, it's something else. When we were in college, we used to take the 26 mile trip up to the beer store in Canada to get Molson XXX or Labatt's Maximum. The Red Bull drinks have been a staple at college bars for a number of years. The kids I talked to in Potsdam really had no great affinity for 4 Lokos, basically saying that these drinks screw up their plans to drink all night and .... ummm ... have "relations" at the the end of the night.

Quite honestly, I'm sick of government trying to legislate responsibility. 4 Loko is just another fad. It will go away as quickly as the last if people just let it be because most people agree they taste horrible.

When were you in Potsdam? I hope you swung by the fire station. They do not sell Four Lokos here in Potsdam...most locals have never even heard of the drink. College kids on the other hand have since 90% of the college kids are from Long Island. I hope you enjoyed your weekend in Potsdam!