Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Experiment-Removing Incident Alerts From Recent Topics List

23 posts in this topic

Fellow members,

It seems like more often then not not, Incident Alerts (IA's) overwhelm the "Recent Topics" section on the main page, thereby drowning out good discussions and diluting other forum content.

So we're going to try this for now. We are going to remove Incident Alerts from the "Recent Topics" box for a little while. I realize that the IA's are important to many members, so in the meantime, visit http://www.emtbravo.com to view the latest IA's broken down by region. Also, you can directly go to the IA sections on this forum, and they will continue to show up on "View New Content Since My Last Visit" lists.

In the meantime, we will be developing stricter guidelines on what is an IA and what is not, to reduce the seeming increase in the amount of IA's "spammed" at one time, and IA's that don't meet IA guidelines. Once this is resolved maybe IA's will return to the Recent Topics list.

Please feel free to give feedback on this thread, which will help to guide me on how to resolve this issue.

Seth

M' Ave and antiquefirelt like this

IA's are not bothersome at all, in fact - the reason for EMTB...I prefer they STAY in the Recent Topics cache..

I think the Apparatus Orders were what really bunged things up, but that is all set now too...

Seth,

One suggestion is to put the IA's in title only on the right side bar and list maybe the top 6 or 7 similar to the way you list donations and latest classifieds.

efdcapt115 likes this

I agree that the IA's tend to push good threads out of sight. And as we all know, out of sight out of mind. Once it leaves the front page, the likelihood it will return diminishes very quickly.

Seth,

One suggestion is to put the IA's in title only on the right side bar and list maybe the top 6 or 7 similar to the way you list donations and latest classifieds.

I agree, IAs are an extremely large draw for this site and relegating them to a hidden corner that can only be found by some form of effort does this site and the IAs themselves a disservice. I think it would be best if what was done on the .COM page was done on the .NET page. That is a column bar on the side of the .NET page with the IAs listed there would be a much better balance then making them disappear.

efdcapt115 likes this

Seth,

They are only a problem when they appear under Topics instead of the IA section. Advertise that IA's go in the IA section and have the staff move them if they appear elsewhere.

OK, I'm confused, lol.

I know this is confusing, and it should really be forums.emtbravo.com or something easier.

EMTBravo.COM is the portal page, not the forums.

The "Recent Topics" refers to the box on the forum index on this site, EMTBravo.NET

I think we need to address the problem of the types and amount of Incident Alerts being posted at once as well.

Question-

When I visit the site, I usually go to emtbravo.net and click "view new content." That shows, and will show, all new posts since my last vist right?

I think we need to address the problem of the types and amount of Incident Alerts being posted at once as well.

I have no problem with the way the alerts are set up. Pretty much the only time an IA goes up is if its an extended extrication at an MVA, some sort of usual rescue worth sharing information about, or a fire worth calling MA in for. Other then that, you really don't see any false or inappropriate IA's getting posted

Question-

When I visit the site, I usually go to emtbravo.net and click "view new content." That shows, and will show, all new posts since my last vist right?

Correct.

I like the side bar option everyone is talking about. Make the IA notification like you have the current staff online box, and the donation box. Make an Incident alert box on the right side of the main page in the .net forums.

Is there an ability to make a SEPARATE 'Recent IA's' Topic Box, and just filter IA forums into it, just like the 'Recent Topics' box?

Can we make it that all IA's can be read by all members. I keep getting a stinking error message when a certain individual posts in the IA section. And He posts everything that happens in the region within minutes of the alarm, so I cant find out what's happening unless I go to another site.

Can we make it that all IA's can be read by all members. I keep getting a stinking error message when a certain individual posts in the IA section. And He posts everything that happens in the region within minutes of the alarm, so I cant find out what's happening unless I go to another site.

Well it depends, who is "the person" that posts and you cannot read? Please PM one of the Staff. Said person MAY be on 'Moderator Preview' and require their posts to be approved first.

Well it depends, who is "the person" that posts and you cannot read? Please PM one of the Staff. Said person MAY be on 'Moderator Preview' and require their posts to be approved first.

Check the New England I/A section...just a guess...unsure.gif

Check the New England I/A section...just a guess...unsure.gif

This is under review.

PFDRes47cue likes this

He is under review, this I know, but if his sources are questionable, remove his posting privledges

He is under review, this I know, but if his sources are questionable, remove his posting privledges

IF only it were that simple. Keep in mind, the Staff area always being criticized. If we revoke privileges, we are "too harsh." If we allow things to persist, we "aren't doing our jobs."

As I said, this matter is under review. Thank you for understanding.

PFDRes47cue likes this

The BEST way to browse ALL new forum content, including Incident Alerts, in an organized fashion is through:

http://www.emtbravo.com

The BEST way to browse ALL new forum content, including Incident Alerts, in an organized fashion is through:

http://www.emtbravo.com

Interesting, I've known no other way. I guess you can go directly to the .net site and miss the front page? But isn't the list of recent topics at the top, the same as are in the left hand column on the .com site?

Interesting, I've known no other way. I guess you can go directly to the .net site and miss the front page? But isn't the list of recent topics at the top, the same as are in the left hand column on the .com site?

I have ALWAYS logged directly into the .NET/Forums.. I practically NEVER even checfk the .COM site, since Day 1 of me using Bravo (Fall '04).

I have ALWAYS logged directly into the .NET/Forums.. I practically NEVER even checfk the .COM site, since Day 1 of me using Bravo (Fall '04).

Guess it's just one of those things we condition ourselves to do in a certain manner and don't really consider the options. Other than the lack of pictures, it appears that the "current" content is the same? I guess I wouldn't complain if I was forced to use the .net vs. .com, I just set my "favorites" button up to start at .com thus it's the initial portal I enter through.

Now I am being denied access to forums as well as IA's. And to top it all off I cannot send a message to a moderator or admin, because it says my email is not on a recognized list. Would resetting my account change anything?