Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndyC3J

New FDNY Rescue 5

58 posts in this topic

are the rear blue warning lights..... actually blue? or amber? with a blue lens...?

Yeah? Plus amber with a blue lens would make a green.

One question: 2 roof mounted aluminum ladders but I do not see access to retrieve them. Is it through an interior hatch?

I did not even think of that when at the show. There are two hatches, which can be seen fore and aft of the center AirConditioning unit. Or, they might be able to squeeze out the front window. I don't know.

Compartment door are pinned closed. Indicator lights for the driver and officer. TR54 Photos

post-23-0-72988400-1299344834.jpg

post-23-0-87527600-1299344860.jpg

sfrd18, FF398, spc0806 and 1 other like this

One question: 2 roof mounted aluminum ladders but I do not see access to retrieve them. Is it through an interior hatch?

According to the manufacturer's manual, there are three easy ways to access the ground ladders on the roof. They are:

1. Use the "Air Recon" NYPD helicopter and have a R-5 member rappel off the bird onto the roof of the Rescue.

2. If bad weather precludes the use of the chopper, position a 100' rear-mount aerial next to the Rescue and ladder the roof of the rig using the aerial.

3. If #1 and #2 are not practicable, build a temporary stairway to the roof using the cribbing in the compartments.

Really, it's so simple Joe, I'm wondering why you even asked...... :rolleyes: haha....

PEMO3 likes this

Brentwood FD new Pierce Heavy Rescue has rollers built on the rear edge to assist with lowering Equiptment boxes to the ground. Photo TR54post-23-0-13004700-1299346711.jpg

This is Brentwood LI Rescue roof rollers .

Yeah? Plus amber with a blue lens would make a green.

Negative. Amber LEDS emit amber...regardless of what color lense is over it.

I know what to get you for Christmas finally.... :D

Hahaha ... Yup, that will look perfect on the front of my Hyundai! All kidding aside though, ya gotta admit that a Roto Ray sure knocks down a lot of fire, um ... does a very efficient job of taking the windows ahead of the line as the engine makes their push, ehh ... gets the roofman up top faster than anything else can, nope, that ain't it either ... ah-haaa, now I remember! It sure looks pretty when the fellers are marchin' down Main Street ...

Hahaha ... Yup, that will look perfect on the front of my Hyundai! All kidding aside though, ya gotta admit that a Roto Ray sure knocks down a lot of fire, um ... does a very efficient job of taking the windows ahead of the line as the engine makes their push, ehh ... gets the roofman up top faster than anything else can, nope, that ain't it either ... ah-haaa, now I remember! It sure looks pretty when the fellers are marchin' down Main Street ...

Talk about an obsession! :D lol You guys from Rescue are all a little wacky anyway......Have a great weekend Bad Roto-Ray Box!

Talk about an obsession! :D lol You guys from Rescue are all a little wacky anyway......Have a great weekend Bad Roto-Ray Box!

You too my friend ... what do we have left if we can't catch a little laugh every now and then?

efdcapt115 likes this

Nope, see this

Look amber to me.

Look amber to me.

That was the point, he said wouldn't an Amber LED with a Blue Lens Cover turn them green, the video was just to show that it doesn't turn them green.

PEMO3 likes this

Compartment door are pinned closed. Indicator lights for the driver and officer. TR54 Photos

Now with this whole pin door indicator system... are they still able to roll out to calls with the back doors open.. like previous rigs.... I kinda see it as a tradition lol...

It has been some time since I posted the question as to how the two aluminum ladders on the roof were accessed but have yet to actually get a real answer. Oh yes I did get some answers that maybe aviation, a tower ladder or stairway built from cribbing would be used but truly is there an actual means of access to these ladders or in the city's usual planning were they put there for show? Anybody?

I'm just guessing but I believe the two hatches open in the center of the roof ( I was in R1 once) and they had theirs open, so it seems that would be the only way to get to those ladders? Certainly not easy either but that's the only way I can see getting them. Anybody else?

P.S. As I read this back, I realized I left myself open for a BIG Duh! I don't expect that they would get a ladder INTO that hatch! I meant to pass it down over the side maybe? Just wanted to make that thought clear before I got pummeled!

Whew!........

Edited by JAD622

Just seems very short sighted and a lot of work to get to them if that was the solution.

Just seems very short sighted and a lot of work to get to them if that was the solution.

It has been some time since I posted the question as to how the two aluminum ladders on the roof were accessed but have yet to actually get a real answer. Oh yes I did get some answers that maybe aviation, a tower ladder or stairway built from cribbing would be used but truly is there an actual means of access to these ladders or in the city's usual planning were they put there for show? Anybody?

I'm not a SOC guy, so my familiarity of how they set-up their rig is pretty minimal. However, before thinking about how they're supposed to get to them, I wonder what their intended use would be. In theory, when Rescue is operating, there are truck co's there with multiple ground ladders that are very accessible. I wonder if they're there as a little extra or to satisfy some requirement. Perhaps there isn't much intent to use them.

One other option is that there are fold down steps YET to be mounted. It could be on display with more things to be added later. For example, I don't see an MDT screen in the rear and I'm certain that they will have one.

All of the recent Rescue company trucks have had odds and ends stored on the roof such as ground ladders and the Zodiac boats. These are generally the least used tools (i.e. Rescue 1, last time I checked, had a pair of step ladders and the boat) and the main access would be through the roof hatches or otherwise climbing the apparatus. And it would probably be a rare thing where a Rescue put their ground ladders to work since even Engine companies have easily deployable ones.

That was my original thoughts but wanted to make sure I did not miss something along the way. Just seemed in a way a waste to store a piece of equipment in a difficult location, i.e. the way they stuck the zodiacs on the roofs of some of the rescues - looks cool but who is going to get it up and down without a hoist?

For example, I don't see an MDT screen in the rear and I'm certain that they will have one.

I did not get a picture of it, but if I recall correctly there was an MDT screen on the front "desk"(shelf) in the rear box on the Officers side. I believe it is right by the white Intercom Speaker (in the picture where I commented on the sturdy grab rails) near the front window.

Someone screwed up one of the exterior decals on box. In the photo that shows the rear passenger side of the box, there's a URL for the FDNY, except that the URL is wrong. It says "www.nyc.gov.fdny" which doesn't work, but should say "www.nyc.gov/fdny". I hope the FDNY can get the manufacturer to pay for that screwup.

Someone screwed up one of the exterior decals on box. In the photo that shows the rear passenger side of the box, there's a URL for the FDNY, except that the URL is wrong. It says "www.nyc.gov.fdny" which doesn't work, but should say "www.nyc.gov/fdny". I hope the FDNY can get the manufacturer to pay for that screwup.

You are assuming that it was the manufacturers fault. If it was they will be required to pay. If it was wrong in the spec then it will be FDNY's fault and they will be responsabile for the cost.

Either way, someone from FDNY inspected the vehicle at the factory and accepted the unit, it would have been fixed prior to leaving if FDNY had found the issue when it inspected the vehicle.

Edited by Bnechis

Edited by engn216

REscue 1 has deployed their zodiac on several occasions. I'm guessing they have a way of getting it done that works for them. Whether it be a friction break and just lowering it off the back, a pulley system or just brute force, they've got something going.

Does this rescue have a light tower? I thought the previous one's did.

Eastchester needs a rig this big....what a joke? Thats why everybody is questioning FD apparatus spending in the burbs!

Does this rescue have a light tower? I thought the previous one's did.

From my pictures in post #27 of this thread, along with another one I have of the cab roof, I can say no there is no light tower on the top of this rig.