Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sfrd18

White Plains FD Volunteers

19 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone can provide general information on the role of the White Plains FD's Volunteer Division. I know that they operate out of the old Station 5 on the Hill and also operate Engine 210(Ex. E4/E5), the city's 1969 Maxim 1000/500 antique and parade engine, according to the Westchester County Fire Apparatus Photos Site. Someone mentioned in a recent WPFD historical forum that the volunteers provide a support role to the city's paid members and do not respond on calls. It would be interesting to find out when and why they were formed, what do they do on a day-to-day basis, etc. Any information would be much appreciated.

Edited by sfrd18

The WPFD vollie's do absolutely nothing but take 1% of the 2% money the city gets. it's a disgrace to even call the vollie's since they do nothing. All the 2% money the city gets should go to the real firefighters of the city, they use that money for their eyeglass and dental, which is ran by the union, and every penny can be accounted for. the vollies throw parties which was investigated years ago by the reporter dispatch. I CANNOT SAY IT ENOUGH THEY ARE A DISGRACE.

They provide NO SUPPORT, they do NOTHING, but rob money. To call them volunteer firefighters is a disgrace. They should be called a social club.

on a day to day basis, not sure but i know one thing........ HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FIRE DEPARTMENT OF WHITE PLAINS

I like TGlass comments,he is right on the money. It's true they do nothing but have parties. Good job TGlass.

Edited by jmclwolf

Thats redic. So when you guys had layoffs these clowns were still getting their cut of that 2%???

Edited by 99subi

the 2% money is based on how many firefighters we have when the city hands it out. its a % based on how many the social club have (the vollies) and the WPFD have.

Has anyone ever tried to shut this social club down? Sounds like a waste of money that could be put to better use in the Career fire dept...

It's a court order. a hundred years ago local 274 took the vollies to court, and the best possible deal we could get was 1% of the 2% money. the president at that time took the best deal he could, better to get 1/2 the money than nothing at all. we talk about another law suit to get the whole 2%, but with all the current litigation against the city, money is tight, unlike the city we can't increase taxes to fight the unions in the city. ha ha ha .hopefully in the future we can go back to court and get what is ours, the money to the people who provide the fire protection.

Sounds like another case of "The Emperor has no clothes" no one wants to see them for what they really are. Who heads up that group "Boss Tweed" and is their firehouse next to Tammany Hall?

ACEast likes this

Can anyone in here explain, what if anything are volunteers are legally permitted to do on the fire scene without violating the collective bargaining agreement in place? Are they allowed to be called out for emergencies? or have they been relegated to social status only.

Sounds like another case of "The Emperor has no clothes" no one wants to see them for what they really are. Who heads up that group "Boss Tweed" and is their firehouse next to Tammany Hall?

You may be closer to the truth than many will admit. I believe it was about 10 years ago that it was reported that some of the most "active" volunteers included the Mayor and other members of the common council, even if they had not responded to a single incident in over 25 years, they were still holding 2% sponsered parties, for "the good and welfare" of the memebrs.

I was under the impression that about 2-3 years ago tey were disbandeda nd turned into a CERT team. Can anyone confirm this?

You may be closer to the truth than many will admit. I believe it was about 10 years ago that it was reported that some of the most "active" volunteers included the Mayor and other members of the common council, even if they had not responded to a single incident in over 25 years, they were still holding 2% sponsered parties, for "the good and welfare" of the memebrs.

I was under the impression that about 2-3 years ago tey were disbandeda nd turned into a CERT team. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes they were turned into a CERT team. They are not volunteer firefighters and should not get any of the money, they are a social club as TGlass pointed out. End of story.

Okay I have a question. if they are just a CERT and only in a social status, only own a rig for parades and do not respond to any alarms (not even buffing them out I guess) then why does the fire department administration and city politicians let this go on????

Are they even considered an Exempt or Veteran organization???

I kinda find it hard to beleive they get half of the total fire department budget, that would be asinine!

How many years have they collected this money without providing any fire protection. Multiply that number and what half of the 2% is per year.

Edited by ltrob

They were in the White Plains Paddy's day parade in uniform and a rig

then why does the fire department administration and city politicians let this go on????

Re-read what I wrote....its most active party members were the city politicians.

I kinda find it hard to beleive they get half of the total fire department budget, that would be asinine!

Is not 1/2 the budget, its 1/2 of the 2% or "welfare" money.

Re-read what I wrote....its most active party members were the city politicians.

In the mid 1960s Local 274 reached a negotiated settlement with the City of White Plains regarding the distribution of the 2% monies. The funds were to be allocated on a per capita basis to "active" volunteers.

To be classified as an active volunteer one was/is required to attend a certain number of training sessions per year. Not all the members of Local 274 were in favor of the settlement and felt the union should go for all the money.

However the majority felt that "a bird in the hand was worth two in the bush" and the settlement was approved. Over the years the training requirement was largely ignored and not welll policed by the cityor the union. I don't know if any of the voluneer companies are classified

as chartered benevolent organizations. The 2% law is quite clear on what the money can and cannot be used for. A chartered benevolent organization is very limited on it's use of 2% funds.

Since 1975 or so chartered benevolent organizations have been required to keep records of how the 2% money is spent and are subject to audits by the New York State Comptrollers office.

Thanks Barry, I misunderstood what was written.