Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest CVFDNY1421

Lake Mohegan Chief Cars

30 posts in this topic

I saw on Lake Mohegan's website the updated line officers for 2011 are the cheifs car numbered the same as they were before I collect photos of fire apparatus and I want to update my colection

Car 2261 is assigned a 2007 Ford expedition Car 2262 a 2009 Ford expedition(white) 2263 a 2004 expedition. Essentially the outgoing chief passes his vehicle down to the incoming 2nd assistant

ok thanks i heard that Car 2263 will be getting a new car is this true

I do believe one was budgeted for but nothing has been ordered as of yet

thanks jusr a side question i saw the old U-50 the 95 chevy a few weeks ago being driven by car 2262 is this unit still around

That is now a POV purchased from the Dept all Mohegan markings have been removed

I think it is so stupid lake mohegan has like 3 chief cars 4 flycars 3 other cars this is just a big waste of tax payers money there is no reason for this many vehicles i don't care how big your district is you don't see other agencies with like 10 flycars chief cars etc.

Mohegan has 3 chiefs cars, 1 fire police car, 1 career captains car, and 4 EMS utilities ( that all get used every day to avoid wear and tear on the Engines)and Mohegan EMS ( which is a separate organization on paper) has 1 ems fly car.

Edited by prucha25

I think it is so stupid lake mohegan has like 3 chief cars 4 flycars 3 other cars this is just a big waste of tax payers money there is no reason for this many vehicles i don't care how big your district is you don't see other agencies with like 10 flycars chief cars etc.

That does seem like a lot of vehicles but I am totally unfamilar with the dept and am curious as to how many stations/calls are run in a year? I don't agree with the poster above and am not calling anything stupid!

Mark Z, the department runs in the neighborhood of 1300 fire and 2600 ems in a year. The career firefighter will take one of the 4 flycars out of a substation to respond as ems first response and provide on scene care until the ambulance or ALS arrives. The district is 42 square miles.

Edited by newsbuff

Ok, that makes sense, it sounds like they have developed a system that works for themsmile.gif!

ok then look at hartsdale fairview and white plains do you see any of these departments with 10 vehicles and pelham new rochelle mount vernon not one department it is a waste of money

ok then look at hartsdale fairview and white plains do you see any of these departments with 10 vehicles and pelham new rochelle mount vernon not one department it is a waste of money

I bet you would be surprised at how many "staff cars" the larger career departments have.

;)

And NO, that is not a kock, QTIP

Edited by Bullseye

from lfd171's site:

Non front line apparatus; either SUV, pickup, staff car or short bus.

fairview: 6

White Plains: 6

Hartsdale: 3

Mt. Vernon: 8

New Rochelle: 9

Edited by bvfdjc316

I bet you would be surprised at how many "staff cars" the larger career departments have.

;)

And NO, that is not a kock, QTIP

Ya well lake mohegan is not the FDNY or Newark Jersey City give me a break you cannot justify 10 vehicles especially when gas prices are at $4.15 a gallon or course you don't care because your not paying for it right but yes you are it comes out your taxes

Ya well lake mohegan is not the FDNY or Newark Jersey City give me a break you cannot justify 10 vehicles especially when gas prices are at $4.15 a gallon or course you don't care because your not paying for it right but yes you are it comes out your taxes

At least they are not hybrids. Plus it may be a few too many cars but many of the roads up there are not as wide and have more twists and turns, so safety probably came into mind when authorizing those purchases.

I wouldn't get hung up on the gas prices, I'd rather pay for the gas then have those guys risk their lives in a hybrid or waste mine and their money with the crappy "flex fuel" alternative.

At least they are not hybrids. Plus it may be a few too many cars but many of the roads up there are not as wide and have more twists and turns, so safety probably came into mind when authorizing those purchases.

I wouldn't get hung up on the gas prices, I'd rather pay for the gas then have those guys risk their lives in a hybrid or waste mine and their money with the crappy "flex fuel" alternative.

If you are concerned about wasting gas, I am sure that Mohegan is saving money by running the SUV's on the EMS calls. Last time I checked they were getting better gas mileage than an apparatus. Also with a 40 plus square mile district, they are saving a lot of miles on the front line apparatus.

99subi, BFD1054 and FF398 like this

Have you ever been to Lake Mohegan Fd and watched and/or listend for one day on a scanner?

"batt. 12" -- Perhaps you could provide us with some of your empirical data that weighs the cost/benefit analysis of using SUV's in place of Engines/Trucks, accounting for fuel, wear/tear, insurance/liability, etc, etc...

You do have that, right? I know you wouldn't be making such declaratory statements unless you had supporting documentation after carefully evaluating all available evidence, right?

I eagerly look forward to specific links that you provide us so we can all become as educated as you are and make such broad statements.

BFD1054, FF398 and Alpinerunner like this

Mohegan has 3 chiefs cars, 1 fire police car, 1 career captains car, and 4 EMS utilities ( that all get used every day to avoid wear and tear on the Engines)and Mohegan EMS ( which is a separate organization on paper) has 1 ems fly car.

Thats one BLS fly-car right? So the FD side of the house responds with a BLS "utility" (fly-car), the medic responds in a fly-car, and the VAC (or EMS side of the house) also responds with a fly-car? No wonder it takes so long to get an ambulance out. Maybe they should scrap the VAC fly-car and make sure their transporting vehicles can get to the calls with the two other fly-cars there.

My agency used to have to babysit patients waiting for transport because of similar problems. Everybody wants a "fly-car" but the real work is done and the real value is in the ambulances!

wow someone has a big mouth you know why you don't care is you are a civil service employee and you are set for life and you don't have to worry about that s*** because you don't pay for it but when it comes to people that are not civil service employees they have to worry about it i don't give a crap how big there district is with all though vehicles including the fire trucks is stupid fire trucks are obvious 10 vehicles i could understand 4-5 but 10 are you kidding me you all need to look at the big picture what does it cost to keep these 10 vehicles on the road including the trucks insurance is probably about $1,000+ per vehicle so 10 cars = $10,000 DOH Sticker for EMS Vehicles probably $500+ per vehicle 4 flycars = $2,000 just plates cause the don't have to be registered $200 per vehicle = $2,000 on top of gas/diesel 4.15 for gas times 32 gallon fuel tank = $132.80x10= $1,328 probably a week so $1,328x4=5,312 total it all thats 19,312 only for the 10 cars not including the fire trucks so do the math and i'm sure if the people in that community knew where there tax payer money was going they would say that exact same thing as me but they don't know that lake mohegan has 10 vehicles and what happens when you are not going to a call you are wasting the gas/diesel right so add more to that fuel cost

wow someone has a big mouth you know why you don't care is you are a civil service employee and you are set for life and you don't have to worry about that s*** because you don't pay for it but when it comes to people that are not civil service employees they have to worry about it i don't give a crap how big there district is with all though vehicles including the fire trucks is stupid fire trucks are obvious 10 vehicles i could understand 4-5 but 10 are you kidding me you all need to look at the big picture what does it cost to keep these 10 vehicles on the road including the trucks insurance is probably about $1,000+ per vehicle so 10 cars = $10,000 DOH Sticker for EMS Vehicles probably $500+ per vehicle 4 flycars = $2,000 just plates cause the don't have to be registered $200 per vehicle = $2,000 on top of gas/diesel 4.15 for gas times 32 gallon fuel tank = $132.80x10= $1,328 probably a week so $1,328x4=5,312 total it all thats 19,312 only for the 10 cars not including the fire trucks so do the math and i'm sure if the people in that community knew where there tax payer money was going they would say that exact same thing as me but they don't know that lake mohegan has 10 vehicles and what happens when you are not going to a call you are wasting the gas/diesel right so add more to that fuel cost

Sonny, you have a lot to learn. About a lot of things.

It is clear you dont give a crap...about the facts.

Size of a district and call volume do factor in to the numbers and types of vehicles required. You claim that it costs 20,000 to keep 10 emergency vehicles on the road. I bet the savings from not using an engine on every EMS run is more than 20,000 so theyre actually saving money. That included the chiefs cars and the chiefs do much more than just EMS calls too.

I doubt the fire district pays $4.15 a gallon. Theyre tax exempt and probably buy on state contract or bid it like every other municipality so the cost is far less.

dadbo46 likes this

That may be the longest sentence I've ever seen (in my entire life). On top of that, from an administrative standpoint, your post is complete with assumptions, highly questionable assumptions mind you, but assumptions nonetheless.

You’ve yet to provide any empirical evidence supporting your claims. Again, we eagerly await your documentation supporting your claims that it is more efficient to utilize engines/ladders to do the work that Mohegan currently has SUV’s for.

EFFD4091-MLSS emt and FF398 like this

you know why you don't care is you are a civil service employee and you are set for life and you don't have to worry about that s*** because you don't pay for it but when it comes to people that are not civil service employees they have to worry about it

Do you believe that public sector employees do not pay income/property/school taxes?

Due to that post, New York State will now be offering a fire service class on PUNCUATION. These classes will start becoming available soon. Heavy attendance is expected, so students are urged to contact your Chief's immediatly to be put on the waiting list. Batty12, your spot is reserved by orders of the NYS Car 1.

FF398, billy98988 and BFD1054 like this

Batt 12 you should really worry about your own dept and not what is going on in mohegan. There is nothing shady going on here we are alot bigger than some of the depts you listed down county and have 42 sq miles of district to cover. I happen to be a tax payer of the district and a member and have no problem with it.

During the late 90s the fire commissioners (elected volunteer firefighters that had retired from the private sector)for whatever reason felt that fuel was the major cost that they could cut. So a study was launched and they saw that engines get an average of 4 MPG and small SUVs are advertised as getting 20 MPG. HEY WE"LL SAVE FUEL!!! It was explained to them that you must look at the hour meter(HPG) on an engine because it could stand for hours and hours pumping without put miles on the odometer. This was or wasn't taken in to account. Also they don't get 20MPG when loaded with 500LB of gear.

So it was decided to get fly cars for the paid firefighters to respond to EMS calls. WHY? TO SAVE FUEL, OF COURSE! Oh not to mention that most VAC calls were not being covered(that's why you now see a paid company operating the VAC today)So they purchased 3 vehicles and equipped them with EMS gear. Somewhere to the tune of 200,000.00(I believe this number to be higher) and then stopped U40(a well equipped Ford utility truck)from responding to backup the one man engines that respond to fires calls. HEY BUT WE SAVED FUEL!!! This action turned out to be dangerous, for paid and volunteer firefighters who did not have proper manning at calls, for volunteers firefighters who did not have a timely response of proper equipment to fight fires, and to the public who would have to wait for response.

There were times when a paid firefighters would have to go back to the fire house to get the engine and then respond or that a engine was dispatched from miles away, because the fly car, who was available, but useless without, water, pump, irons, tools. HEY BUT WE SAVED FUEL!!! Times when fly cars were dispatched but could not take a door because they were EMS fly cars and did not have Irons. A set of irons were then placed on each fly car. HEY, BUT WE SAVED FUEL!!! The planning on this was so bad that at one station where there was no room, the fly car that was parked in front of the engine, would have to be driven out of the bay, around to the parking lot and then the paid firefighter would run back inside for the engine so he could respond to the call.

The commissioners that are at the helm today are a good mix of business men, public sector retirees and Ex volunteer chiefs that understand logistics and there responsibility to the all around public safety, not just EMS and bean counting. They are rebuilding the department and I feel that these fly cars will be de-commissioned for other purposes in the future. One has already been removed from the firehouse and that house now dispatches an engine to EMS calls.

HEY, THEY ARE NOT SAVING FUEL, but the public is better off it.

Edited by Healz

Isn't the reason that the one fly car (U-75 Jefferson Valley)has been "de-commissioned" is that is now the Career Captains car (2268) because he lives on a dirt road in Continental Village?

yes

I say we sell all the fire trucks we run and buy pick ups and mini pumpers, this way we get the best of both worlds, good fuel economy (yea right) and a real fire truck responding to calls (yea right)! look what they run upstate, in the mid west and down south, they cover hundreds of square miles, granted not as populated and the only "support vehicles" they have are their own POV's! "Oh what would we do without chiefs cars" my father used to say when he was a fire commishioner!

Edited by stephen morea

During the late 90s the fire commissioners (elected volunteer firefighters that had retired from the private sector)for whatever reason felt that fuel was the major cost that they could cut. So a study was launched and they saw that engines get an average of 4 MPG and small SUVs are advertised as getting 20 MPG. HEY WE"LL SAVE FUEL!!! It was explained to them that you must look at the hour meter(HPG) on an engine because it could stand for hours and hours pumping without put miles on the odometer. This was or wasn't taken in to account. Also they don't get 20MPG when loaded with 500LB of gear.

So it was decided to get fly cars for the paid firefighters to respond to EMS calls. WHY? TO SAVE FUEL, OF COURSE! Oh not to mention that most VAC calls were not being covered(that's why you now see a paid company operating the VAC today)So they purchased 3 vehicles and equipped them with EMS gear. Somewhere to the tune of 200,000.00(I believe this number to be higher) and then stopped U40(a well equipped Ford utility truck)from responding to backup the one man engines that respond to fires calls. HEY BUT WE SAVED FUEL!!! This action turned out to be dangerous, for paid and volunteer firefighters who did not have proper manning at calls, for volunteers firefighters who did not have a timely response of proper equipment to fight fires, and to the public who would have to wait for response.

There were times when a paid firefighters would have to go back to the fire house to get the engine and then respond or that a engine was dispatched from miles away, because the fly car, who was available, but useless without, water, pump, irons, tools. HEY BUT WE SAVED FUEL!!! Times when fly cars were dispatched but could not take a door because they were EMS fly cars and did not have Irons. A set of irons were then placed on each fly car. HEY, BUT WE SAVED FUEL!!! The planning on this was so bad that at one station where there was no room, the fly car that was parked in front of the engine, would have to be driven out of the bay, around to the parking lot and then the paid firefighter would run back inside for the engine so he could respond to the call.

The commissioners that are at the helm today are a good mix of business men, public sector retirees and Ex volunteer chiefs that understand logistics and there responsibility to the all around public safety, not just EMS and bean counting. They are rebuilding the department and I feel that these fly cars will be de-commissioned for other purposes in the future. One has already been removed from the firehouse and that house now dispatches an engine to EMS calls.

HEY, THEY ARE NOT SAVING FUEL, but the public is better off it.

See. This is an example of a rational argument, being made by someone who had some actual experience. Whether you agree or not is fine, but at least he makes his case.

BFD1054 likes this