Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Metro-North worker stable after being hit by train in Croton-Harmon yard

31 posts in this topic

Metro-North worker stable after being hit by train in Croton-Harmon yard

http://www.lohud.com/article/20110601/NEWS02/106010354/Metro-North-worker-stable-after-being-hit-by-train-Croton-Harmon-yard?odyssey=mod|lateststories

First, best wishes for a speedy recovery to the MN employee involved.

Since the Croton-Harmon Rail Yard is so sprawling and includes a variety of trains, tracks, and equipment, do members of Croton FD Rescue 20 recieve training above and beyond the standard Metro-North training for FD's?

Also, I think they have a fire brigade in house- do they respond as well? And, this was a while ago and I forget his car number, but he was Chief of Metro North Emergency Services and responded to Metro-North related incidents for technical advice?

And, if it's on Metro-North property (railroad right of way, etc) is it considered Metro North jurisdiction (beyond PD)

I guess same would go for North White Plains FD, Fairview FD, and Stamford FD, which also have large MN facilites.

Actually I had two questions related to the incident alert posted. My first question is the incident alert stated that the IC determined this to be a level one trauma that required medevac response. Is this accurate or was the determination made by the highest medical authority on scene?

My second question is a noted a significant amount of time had passed when it was posted in the IA that Croton was toning out for a driver for their ambulance. Was this for a second ambulance to respond or was this for the primary responding ambulance?

The second tone out was for an additional rig from croton ems to respond. The first ambulance was blocked in by apparatus so the IC made the quick decision to get a second rig (driver only) to respond. They had a sufficient amount of EMT's already on scene.

Edited by FF398

The second tone out for an ambulance was for an additional rig from croton ems to respond. The first ambulance was blocked in by apparatus so the IC made the quick decision to get a second rig (driver only) to respond. They had a sufficient amount of EMT's already on scene.

Thanks for the reply, I kinda assumed it was for a second bus but the way it was worded in the IA was a little difficult to follow.

Actually I had two questions related to the incident alert posted. My first question is the incident alert stated that the IC determined this to be a level one trauma that required medevac response. Is this accurate or was the determination made by the highest medical authority on scene?

My second question is a noted a significant amount of time had passed when it was posted in the IA that Croton was toning out for a driver for their ambulance. Was this for a second ambulance to respond or was this for the primary responding ambulance?

The determination of a level 1 trama patient was made by the Ossining Medic (36M1) on scene and was rallied to IC for the dispatch of the Medivac.

Edited by firedude

I hope he recovers.

Sounds like a good job was done that one cannot easily train on.

How many and what size airbags were used.

I hope he recovers.

Sounds like a good job was done that one cannot easily train on.

I was R18-3 on this call.

We used EVERY airbag and EVERY piece of cribbing on our rig.

We had pretty much everything from the airbag compartment under that locomotive.

Metro-North's yard employees used a forklift to bring us an additional pallet load of scrap railroad ties to use as cribbing, which is what really helped us get the needed height for the lift.

I can't remember what size each of the airbags is off-hand, but there are 6 of them on the rig.

Five are various sized squares, while one is a long rectangle.

In the photo on YHFD's page, you can see that the pilot (aka "The Cow Catcher") on the locomotive had to be bent upwards to make the extrication.

The patient had been run over by the pilot and was pinned in the section under those steps, right in front of those wheels.

He had been dragged under the locomotive for a little while before the engineer realized he was under there (when running in that direction, the engineer is on the other side of the locomotive and can't see that side at all).

Alpinerunner and PFDRes47cue like this

I was R18-3 on this call.

We used EVERY airbag and EVERY piece of cribbing on our rig.

We had pretty much everything from the airbag compartment under that locomotive.

Metro-North's yard employees used a forklift to bring us an additional pallet load of scrap railroad ties to use as cribbing, which is what really helped us get the needed height for the lift.

I can't remember what size each of the airbags is off-hand, but there are 6 of them on the rig.

Five are various sized squares, while one is a long rectangle.

In the photo on YHFD's page, you can see that the pilot (aka "The Cow Catcher") on the locomotive had to be bent upwards to make the extrication.

The patient had been run over by the pilot and was pinned in the section under those steps, right in front of those wheels.

He had been dragged under the locomotive for a little while before the engineer realized he was under there (when running in that direction, the engineer is on the other side of the locomotive and can't see that side at all).

aaaaaa... Josh,??? we never actually lifted the train before the vic. was removed.... the cribbing and bags were in place and if the paramedic wanted it raised, we were going to try... after he was removed and everyone was out from under the train, we did raise the front about 2 inches.... just to see if we could...

The cow catcher was never bent for us to remove him, that is the way they are designed...

After this incident, we have asked Metro North Officials to do some training there and for them to get some specialized bottle jacks, ( and other tools ) which can be stored with the fire bargade, so in the future if they are needed by us, it can be on hand... but that is just a dream by us...

PFDRes47cue likes this

Yorktown responded with Rescue 16 with full manpower, which carries a multitude of cribbing in a full assortment of sizes. It also carries a set of airbags as well (Two 26T-12" lift, one 20T-10" lift, one 13T 6" lift). For this run, the YHFD officers made a decision to also take the airbag set from Engine 270, which is the same as the rescue, minus one 26 T bag. Both Mohegan and Millwood were put on stand-by for MVA's in Yorktown. Yorktown arrived on the scene as the patient was being removed from the train and loaded into the ambulance. Yorktown units cleared without preforming any rescue, but we'd rather be called out and not needed, then needed and never called.

- The top compartment of cribbing has since been filled, as well as a 2nd K-12 saw added to the saw compartment.

The guys at work had informed me there were some questions about this incident Tuesday at Harmon Yards, so I figure I'll give a little insight.

17:44 - 60 Control dispatched Croton EMS, 36M1, R18 & E120 for a party hit by a train.

17:45 - 2082 & 2641 responding. 2082 asking if party is still under train, 60 advising he is, E119 added to the run.

17:48 - 2641 & 2082 on locaton, confirming one male under a locomotive car. Requesting power and train traffic shut down.

17:49 - 2082 assuming command, requesting Montrose R51 for additional air bags & euipment.

17:51 - 60 advising command that R51 not available, Command requested R16 from Yorktown.

17:52 - Command requesting availability of Medevac, 60 Control reports they are at WMC and available.

17:54 - Air 2 launching, 10 minute ETA. E119 ground contact, landing at Croton Point ballfield.

18:01 - Command reports all hands working, request E225 from Montrose VA on any additional Croton calls.

18:02 - Command reports one male patient, about 55 years old, Level 1 Trauma, extensive injuries, but conscious per 36M1.

18:06 - Command requesting 2nd Ambulance, 55B1 blocked in by FD units.

18:08 - Air 2 on the ground, E119 transporting crew to the scene.

18:14 - Command reports patient extricated from under train, being packaged and in care of EMS.

18:17 - Command placing incident under control.

18:27 - Yorktown units in service.

18:28 - E120 released from the scene, resume normal dispatch of CFD.

18:50 - 2082 reports all CFD units clear of the scene, command terminated and turned over to MTA PD.

As far as the Fire Brigade, they're mostly there for fire incidents (usually normal business hours) and will work with us, normally telling us what we can and can't do on the rails and with the trains. They're a great asset when it comes to that.

Extra training - I wouldn't call it "extra" training, but we routinely do training with the air bags like all of our other equipment, and we usually do an annual or biennial training with Metro-North.

Hope that answers some questions for you.

FF398, eric12401, JBJ1202 and 1 other like this

Yes, the IC made the request to 60 Control for the helo. This was based on the recommendation from 36M1 who went thru the chain of command and asked for it.

The first ambulance was on the scene almost at the same time as 2641 and I. They came up to the scene and got buried by our Rescue and some MTA PD units. Instead of wasting time, I requested the 2nd ambulance to transport the patient to the LZ. As 7586 said, we didn't need it, as we were able to move the vehicles so 55B1 could transport to the LZ.

x635, JBJ1202 and Monty like this

Yes, the IC made the request to 60 Control for the helo. This was based on the recommendation from 36M1 who went thru the chain of command and asked for it.

The first ambulance was on the scene almost at the same time as 2641 and I. They came up to the scene and got buried by our Rescue and some MTA PD units. Instead of wasting time, I requested the 2nd ambulance to transport the patient to the LZ. As 7586 said, we didn't need it, as we were able to move the vehicles so 55B1 could transport to the LZ.

Thanks for the Info, glad to see your back.

The guys at work had informed me there were some questions about this incident Tuesday at Harmon Yards, so I figure I'll give a little insight.

17:44 - 60 Control dispatched Croton EMS, 36M1, R18 & E120 for a party hit by a train.

17:45 - 2082 & 2641 responding. 2082 asking if party is still under train, 60 advising he is, E119 added to the run.

17:48 - 2641 & 2082 on locaton, confirming one male under a locomotive car. Requesting power and train traffic shut down.

17:49 - 2082 assuming command, requesting Montrose R51 for additional air bags & euipment.

17:51 - 60 advising command that R51 not available, Command requested R16 from Yorktown.

17:52 - Command requesting availability of Medevac, 60 Control reports they are at WMC and available.

17:54 - Air 2 launching, 10 minute ETA. E119 ground contact, landing at Croton Point ballfield.

18:01 - Command reports all hands working, request E225 from Montrose VA on any additional Croton calls.

18:02 - Command reports one male patient, about 55 years old, Level 1 Trauma, extensive injuries, but conscious per 36M1.

18:06 - Command requesting 2nd Ambulance, 55B1 blocked in by FD units.

18:08 - Air 2 on the ground, E119 transporting crew to the scene.

18:14 - Command reports patient extricated from under train, being packaged and in care of EMS.

18:17 - Command placing incident under control.

18:27 - Yorktown units in service.

18:28 - E120 released from the scene, resume normal dispatch of CFD.

18:50 - 2082 reports all CFD units clear of the scene, command terminated and turned over to MTA PD.

As far as the Fire Brigade, they're mostly there for fire incidents (usually normal business hours) and will work with us, normally telling us what we can and can't do on the rails and with the trains. They're a great asset when it comes to that.

Extra training - I wouldn't call it "extra" training, but we routinely do training with the air bags like all of our other equipment, and we usually do an annual or biennial training with Metro-North.

Hope that answers some questions for you.

Welcome back sucka!!! What's the status on baby roundhead?

JBJ

The big thing to learn is how use the wedges to prevent the suspension of the truck from operating. If the suspension is still active the lift will do nothing because the suspension will absorb it. And yes the bottle jack seems to work faster. We train both methods.

The big thing to learn is how use the wedges to prevent the suspension of the truck from operating. If the suspension is still active the lift will do nothing because the suspension will absorb it. And yes the bottle jack seems to work faster. We train both methods.

we are still waiting to hear back from Metro North on this type of training, but do you have any pictures of where you say to put these wedges...basically we set up the air bags under the " cow catcher " and were able to move this structure up 2 inches...

we are still waiting to hear back from Metro North on this type of training, but do you have any pictures of where you say to put these wedges...basically we set up the air bags under the " cow catcher " and were able to move this structure up 2 inches...

Sorry no pics but next time I go I will try to take some. My only concern about lifting via the cow catcher is how substantial is it. If a car was on someone we lift the frame rails not a bumper. It also depends on what is trapping the occupant. The lifting I was discussing is how to lift a train when a wheel is on the victim. You only need to lift a little bit (the train does a good job of crushing what ever it runs over). This every bit of a heavy rescue and can have some real dangers involved. The wedges used to crib the suspension have been known to be shot out. Also realize you are approaching the lifting limits of your equipment. Remember never stack more than two bags and the more you inflate the more unstable the load will be. So practice but be careful even during practice.

BFD1054 likes this

Just a few pictures I took to show the placement of the wedges to compensate for the lift of the suspension... hope they help.

No prob, hope it helped. If you don't put that wedge in, when you start the lift, all your are going to lift is the suspension of the train. The wedge takes up the compression of the suspension so you lift the actual car and not just the suspension.

No prob, hope it helped. If you don't put that wedge in, when you start the lift, all your are going to lift is the suspension of the train. The wedge takes up the compression of the suspension so you lift the actual car and not just the suspension.

The only thing I will add is stay out of the line of fire of the wedge. They have been known to come out and I know of an instance where a member was struck in the face.

The only thing I will add is stay out of the line of fire of the wedge. They have been known to come out and I know of an instance where a member was struck in the face.

Very true, good point!

Thanks for the visuals JJB... I was trying to wrap my head around the concept and they made it a lot easier. I know that people getting pinned between the platform and the train is a regular occurence. I am pretty sure it has a name but it is escaping me right now. Anyone have any more details on this type of rescue?

One question to all involved: why the hell have SO many people been hit by mnorth trains lately?? Seriously, 3 or 4 employees in 2 weeks, plus a few civilians trying to off themselves, almost all in croton. What's the new trend about??!!

One question to all involved: why the hell have SO many people been hit by mnorth trains lately?? Seriously, 3 or 4 employees in 2 weeks, plus a few civilians trying to off themselves, almost all in croton. What's the new trend about??!!

3 - 4... wow I only knew of this one, lately...

Thanks for the visuals JJB... I was trying to wrap my head around the concept and they made it a lot easier. I know that people getting pinned between the platform and the train is a regular occurence. I am pretty sure it has a name but it is escaping me right now. Anyone have any more details on this type of rescue?

No prob, I completely forgot I had those photos otherwise I would have posted them earlier. When someone gets pinned between the platform and the train, we call it a space case. We use a flat piece of cribbing that has a piece of angle iron attached to it, the cribbing gets hung from the platform by the angle iron, and then the airbags get placed between that piece of cribbing and the train car. Usually a good idea to put a body bag underneath the aided because a lot of times all that's holding them together is the compression from the train. I'll try to take some photo of our space case board tonight when I get into work.

Thanks for the pics Joe!

If I recall correctly from prior training with the MTA, we should chock the train wheels like we would a car at an MVA, using a wedge or something similar.

although not in the chain of command, I did question some workers( Metro North guys ) at this scene and several mentioned that they had chocked both sets of rear wheels to this train... so even if we did not do it, it was performed... well so they said...