Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FFPCogs

Life in Afghanistan

85 posts in this topic

Thank you Sueg.

Those of us who work there by choice and those of us deployed there by duty really appreciate that there are people back home like you.

Stay safe brother and thanks for all you do on the homefront.

Cogs

FFBlaser likes this

"Those of us who work there by choice and those of us deployed there by duty really appreciate that there are people back home like you."

Cogs I think I can speak for many when I say we appreciate all of you over there!!!

sueg, FFPCogs and ny10570 like this

Since this made the papers security has been verified.

Not trying to sensationalize what we do here but this article is just a reminder for those that might be interested in coming over that this is a war zone and we are never too far from the violence.

KABUL, Afghanistan — At least 20 people have been killed in suicide attacks in southern Afghanistan, authorities said Thursday, including seven civilians who died when a bomber blew himself up near an airport used by the U.S.-led coalition.

The attack near the entrance to the airfield in Kandahar — Afghanistan's second-largest city and the traditional heartland of the Taliban insurgency — occurred Thursday afternoon when a suicide bomber detonated a white Toyota Corolla, said Zalmai Ayubi, a spokesman for the provincial governor. Two children were among the dead, authorities said.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement on its website. The insurgents said the target was a convoy of foreign nationals who were leaving the airfield, which is one of the largest bases used by the NATO coalition. Many civilians use the busy entrance as well, however.

An additional eight civilians, including a woman and two children, were reported wounded. The explosion destroyed four civilian vehicles and two fuel tankers, Ayubi said, but it couldn't be determined whether the tankers belonged to NATO forces.

The picture below was taken shortly after the blast and we are working in the area behind the two soldiers in the background (as indicated by the black arrow I've added to the pic [pardon it's crudeness]). As you can imagine the scene was gruesome with body parts and shredded and burned vehicles strewn a good distance from the epicenter. While we try to be professional,...and well dispassionate, in doing our duty out here I have to admit that for all of us there this particular scene was also extremely infuriating. What kind of degenerate animals target kids?

The wounded were in rough shape and included 2 more children, but thankfully our quick response got them to the staff at Role 3 (the base trauma hospital) who worked their magic and all will survive.

Here's a pic from a Canadian newspaper and it's caption:

A U.S. soldier keeps watch at the site of an explosion in Kandahar Jan. 19. A suicide bomber killed seven civilians, including two children, and wounded eight in an attack on the main gate of the Kandahar Air Field used by international and Afghan troops in southern Afghanistan, Kandahar governor's spokesman Zalmai Ayobi said.

Photograph by: AHMAD NADEEM, REUTERS

Is your crew assigned to provide Fire protection on Kandahar Air Field or are you on a FOB or Camp near KAF?

We provide protection for Kandahar Airfield and the surrounding base only, no off base or adjacent FOB work allowed. I work the structural side of the house. My Engine and crew along with another protect about 40-45,000 people in an 7 square mile area. The structural crews also respond to the airfield when necessary for any emergency involving aircraft with 15 or more on board (about twice a week on average). The crash boys handle the airfield and it's planes only. They see more runs on average, but we see more work by far..and that's just the way I like it... :D .

Cogs

"Those of us who work there by choice and those of us deployed there by duty really appreciate that there are people back home like you."

Cogs I think I can speak for many when I say we appreciate all of you over there!!!

Thanks HFD219, your support and that of the many folks back home does more than you can imagine.

sfrd18 likes this

thats funny that pic is my company im over here on kaf now i was on fob lindsey for a while just move back to go home but im the main qrf for kaf ive been here for 12 months now

FFPCogs likes this

FFPCogs: In the Stamford thread post #1798 you have been in Stamford attending every meeting except Tuesdays, and here you are in Afghanistan. Where are you right now?

PS: Saw your update: Hope you heal well, and glad you keep involved in everything wherever you are.

Edited by sueg

FFPCogs: In the Stamford thread post #1798 you have been in Stamford attending every meeting except Tuesdays, and here you are in Afghanistan. Where are you really, and what should we believe?

Dude I'm on vacation with an extension for a medical issue. I'll be returning within two weeks. If you'll notice the previous post, the one before my last with the article about the soldiers death, it was from January just before my leave.

Also notice that in this post below from April 7th I used the word there not here as I was here not there when I wrote it.

Thank you Sueg.

Those of us who work there by choice and those of us deployed there by duty really appreciate that there are people back home like you.

Stay safe brother and thanks for all you do on the homefront.

Edited by FFPCogs

thats funny that pic is my company im over here on kaf now i was on fob lindsey for a while just move back to go home but im the main qrf for kaf ive been here for 12 months now

Thanks for your service and safe journey home.

Awesome reading! Keep safe!

Thanks, more to follow once I'm back in the sandbox

Greetings all from always sunny Kandahar Afghanistan.

So it's been awhile since I reported in, due in no small part to the fact that I wasn't here for 3 1/2 months. Yes I had an extended leave for some minor surgeries that have since healed. So here I am on day three back in the sandbox.

First thing I noticed is that I now have a roommate. Yes my wonderfully blissfull life as the sole occupant of room A-77 is over. My new "guest" is Aruna and he hails from Sri Lanka. What is unusal about our arrangement is that, unlike everyone else, we are off the same time. You see everyone has a roommate but everyone's elses works opposing shifts, so in fact they are the masters of their own domain..all 100 square feet of it, on their days off. I on the other hand, through the blessing of fortune, have been moved onto red shift for temporary duty, which also happens to be Aruna's normal shift, thus we are together 24/7. Now while some might find this troublesome, I have taken the approach that it is a learning experience. Yes I am learning patience, a virtue I sadly do not possess in any quantity worth mentioning. I'm also learning to move very stealthily. You see I'm something of an insomniac. To bed at 12 or 1 up at 3:30 - 4. Now when I lived alone it was no big deal..get up, jump on skype and call the wife and kids 8 1/2 hours behind in the States, call on some friends nearby working the overnight, do the three Ss...you know sh**, shower and shave, and maybe even get a little morning wood "relief" with the help of some internet visual aids all before heading off to work. Well all but the Ss are bit hard to do with a guy sleeping a mere 5 feet away. So I've become quite the stealthy one...like a ninja slipping silently in and out of the room. And Aruna's a real good sport too but one who is not without a few quirks of his own. Chief among them was his belief that's what's mine is his, most notably my cell phone and bath items such as soap. But we've worked that out..I gave him the phone as I really don't use it, plus at 60 buck a fill up (about twice a week on average) it gets a bit costly just to yap about nothing with people I really don't want to talk to anyway. As for the bath items, scale and everything else, well let's just say he's now fully aware that those are hands off without permission.

But there is another part of the learning experience and it is one that for me has real meaning. Aruna's a Buddhist, I'm Roman Catholic which as lead to some enlightening discussions for both of us. We are also culturally very different as well in our views of the world, marriage and just about everything else save one...family. Both him and I (and every other family man here for that matter) has the same view on the importance of family and yes even our extended firehouse families too. So time spent with my new roomie has again offered me the opportunity I relish most..to learn about other cultures and peoples and diminsh my own ignorance in the process. I guess things really do happen for a reason.

As far as the work goes well I've only done one shift on red. Good bunch of guys, just not my bunch of guys, but it's all good. First day back saw us moving a good deal for us though. 11 runs yesterday the first of which, 3 minutes into the shift, was a semi trailer of electronics cooking good. That killed the better part of an hour with clean up and all. Then a series of smells and bells, an MVA with injuries and a small generator fire at the Boardwalk. A nice leisurely lunch of chicken curry, rice and salad followed and then some more smells and bells. High point of the day a smoky two room job just before dinner held with no real extension to the rooms involved upon arrival. And the capper of the day another generator at the boadwalk just before midnight. I should just point out that yesterday was a balmy 108 by 2 pm with evening temps hovering around 90....which like all things here carries a silver lining. Temps like that do wonders for dieting... :D

So all things considered a great first shift back and a good first couple of days back in Crapahar after a very extended and enjoyable leave.

Stay Safe all and thanks for all you all do back home

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs
x4093k likes this

Greetings all from always sunny Kandahar Afghanistan.

So it's been awhile since I reported in, due in no small part to the fact that I wasn't here for 3 1/2 months. Yes I had an extended leave for some minor surgeries that have since healed. So here I am on day three back in the sandbox.

First thing I noticed is that I now have a roommate. Yes my wonderfully blissfull life as the sole occupant of room A-77 is over. My new "guest" is Aruna and he hails from Sri Lanka. What is unusal about our arrangement is that, unlike everyone else, we are off the same time. You see everyone has a roommate but everyone's elses works opposing shifts, so in fact they are the masters of their own domain..all 100 square feet of it, on their days off. I on the other hand, through the blessing of fortune, have been moved onto red shift for temporary duty, which also happens to be Aruna's normal shift, thus we are together 24/7. Now while some might find this troublesome, I have taken the approach that it is a learning experience. Yes I am learning patience, a virtue I sadly do not possess in any quantity worth mentioning. I'm also learning to move very stealthily. You see I'm something of an insomniac. To bed at 12 or 1 up at 3:30 - 4. Now when I lived alone it was no big deal..get up, jump on skype and call the wife and kids 8 1/2 hours behind in the States, call on some friends nearby working the overnight, do the three Ss...you know sh**, shower and shave, and maybe even get a little morning wood "relief" with the help of some internet visual aids all before heading off to work. Well all but the Ss are bit hard to do with a guy sleeping a mere 5 feet away. So I've become quite the stealthy one...like a ninja slipping silently in and out of the room. And Aruna's a real good sport too but one who is not without a few quirks of his own. Chief among them was his belief that's what's mine is his, most notably my cell phone and bath items such as soap. But we've worked that out..I gave him the phone as I really don't use it, plus at 60 buck a fill up (about twice a week on average) it gets a bit costly just to yap about nothing with people I really don't want to talk to anyway. As for the bath items, scale and everything else, well let's just say he's now fully aware that those are hands off without permission.

But there is another part of the learning experience and it is one that for me has real meaning. Aruna's a Buddhist, I'm Roman Catholic which as lead to some enlightening discussions for both of us. We are also culturally very different as well in our views of the world, marriage and just about everything else save one...family. Both him and I (and every other family man here for that matter) has the same view on the importance of family and yes even our extended firehouse families too. So time spent with my new roomie has again offered me the opportunity I relish most..to learn about other cultures and peoples and diminsh my own ignorance in the process. I guess things really do happen for a reason.

As far as the work goes well I've only done one shift on red. Good bunch of guys, just not my bunch of guys, but it's all good. First day back saw us moving a good deal for us though. 11 runs yesterday the first of which, 3 minutes into the shift, was a semi trailer of electronics cooking good. That killed the better part of an hour with clean up and all. Then a series of smells and bells, an MVA with injuries and a small generator fire at the Boardwalk. A nice leisurely lunch of chicken curry, rice and salad followed and then some more smells and bells. High point of the day a smoky two room job just before dinner held with no real extension to the rooms involved upon arrival. And the capper of the day another generator at the boadwalk just before midnight. I should just point out that yesterday was a balmy 108 by 2 pm with evening temps hovering around 90....which like all things here carries a silver lining. Temps like that do wonders for dieting... :D

So all things considered a great first shift back and a good first couple of days back in Crapahar after a very extended and enjoyable leave.

Stay Safe all and thanks for all you all do back home

Cogs

Thanks for the update and stay safe. Good luck with your new roommate....sounds like a bit of a challenge!
FFPCogs likes this

Thanks for the update and stay safe. Good luck with your new roommate....sounds like a bit of a challenge!

Thanks Billy and hey who doesn't like a challenge.....

There will be no picnic at the firehouse on Monday. No joyous afternoon of parades and parties, burgers and beers. Instead we will stop, bow our heads in silence and take a moment to thank and honor all who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation. Daily we see the results of war and of that sacrifice as flag draped caskets begin their final journey home, so a day of fun and frolick is not what Memorial Day is about for us here. All I would ask of my brothers back home is to do the same for one brief moment. Please just take a minute out of your busy lives and happy holiday to give silent thanks to all those who have died for your freedom and given you the luxury of that backyard barbarque.

Thank you

God Bless America and all who serve her!!!!

post-16171-0-36113200-1338037111.jpg

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs
grumpyff likes this

People often question why we are here and Americans are fighting and dying in Afghanistan. To that I offer this excerpt of a letter written by Sgt William Stacey to his family to be read in the event of his death. Sgt. Stacey was on his fourth deployment when he was killed by a homemade bomb on Jan.31st earler this year. The 23 year old Marine from Redding, California, told his family that he was motivated to fight in Afghanistan to protect the country's children and provide them the opportunity to go to school and live out their dreams.

His words from the letter to his family:

"There will be a child who will live because men left the security they enjoyed in their home to come to his," Stacey wrote in his letter. "He will have the gift of freedom which I have enjoyed for so long myself, and if my life brings the safety of a child who will one day change the world, then I know that it was all worth it."

Sgt Stacey's letter was read in full by Marine General John Allen, top Commander in Afghanistan, during a Memorial day ceremony in Kabul. In his remarks concluding the ceremony Gen Allen noted the following:

"Despite the human cost of the war, the soldiers who have fallen did not die in vain. While our brothers and sisters fell in a place far from home, far from their families, the values for which they stood and for which they lived and for which they died occupy an enduring place in our hearts," said Allen. "Those values: freedom, duty, selflessness and sacrifice."

And this, to protect the weak and give security and opportunity to those without any, to live up to our values as a Nation, is in part why we fight and why we must. You back home see very little of what's happening here other than the body count and the relentless onslaught of negativity by the media. You do not see the schools built count, the villages made safe count, the medical treatment provided count, the children fed count and so on. Lives here have been improved and by virtue of that our nation is more secure.

In the end the lives of the American service members lost here will be in vain only if you let them be.

God Bless America

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

We here at KAF are fast becoming a European Fire Brigade. To that end here's a pic of one of two identical new addtions. These ARFF rigs were built by Rosenbauer to European specs with fully integrated electronic controls. Cost $1,000,000 a pop

post-16171-0-41787400-1338368907.jpg

And it only gets better. Coming soon new turnout gear from Britain with these our new helmets....uggghhh!!!!

post-16171-0-07541600-1338368999.png

Tactics to follow...boy oh boy I can't wait......

Edited by FFPCogs
x4093k likes this

Hey Cogs do the apparatus you operate have any "unusual" specifications because they are used in a war zone? Are they armored at all or carry any special equipment?

Hey Cogs do the apparatus you operate have any "unusual" specifications because they are used in a war zone? Are they armored at all or carry any special equipment?

Our rigs are not armored nor do they have any other special safety devices ect due to their deployment in the war zone. The only specialized equipment is a lock wrench for getting into MRAPs and Buffalos (mine resistant armored vehicles) since normal extrication tools are next to useless. Other than the two Rosenbauer Panthers above all of our rigs are bought used from FDs Stateside or in Europe and as such carry just the basics. Truth be told none of the rigs out here were designed for this environment and they take a beating with at least one of the fleet being down everyday.

As for our personal safety during attacks...that comes from wearing our flak vests under our turnouts.

It's been quite awhile since I filed a report from the "front lines" so here's a quick installment for anyone interested.

In general news we've had a few guys leave and alot of new faces arrive in preparation for an expansion of the role here. We will be taking over from the Army on the helo ramp in a few months. Of note is the moving on of our Deputy Chief, who left Friday to pursue a career opportunity in the U.A.E. Thankfully a good man and good friend has been promoted to that position...Congrats Gibbo!!

News of the day:

This morning at about 06:15 the structural crews here at KAF were dispatched out to a fire at our newly opened PizzaHut concession. Upon arrival we found active fire venting in the 3/4 (or C/D) corner with it rapidly developing along the interior ceiling. A 45mm (1 1/2) line was stretched and an attack made from the exterior. FROM THE EXTERIOR!!!! some of you may be asking...why? Ahhh well there's the rub on todays "blaze". You see this incident took place during a rocket attack, in fact the poor PizzaHut trailer took a direct hit..thus the fire. Mercifully all the concessions were closed that early in the morning and there were no injuries. As is usual here, with Ramadan over, we took about 8 or 9 incoming rockets this morning, suprisingly with none of the usual duds. All of the presents from our pals outside the wire exploded for once. In fact twice during the response and once during the suppression effort we were forced to stop what we were doing and assume the prone rocket attack position as another volley came our way. A few came close enough to give a little rattle, but nothing too dangerous. Only one hit anything of any importance, and that happened while we were safely ensconced in our bunker at the station, which takes me back to the fire. The impact of the 107mm rocket shredded and blew out both the #3 and #4 (sorry C and D) walls a good 3 feet or better and every inch of the interior and it's equipment was thoroughly peppered by shrapnel. Sadly I must report that while the fire was really pretty minor and extinguished quickly, the structure and equipment within sustained mortal injuries and will be serving pizza no more.

On a much more serious note. Yesterday saw another of the ubiquitous ramp ceremonies next to the firehouse, except this one had the dubious distinction of seeing seven soldiers being loaded for their final journey home. These were the seven killed when the Blackhawk went down the other day. There were also three Afghan interpreters killed in that downing as well. And I say downing because word here is that this UH-60 was shot down. I sincerely hope it wasn't, not that any loss of life is any more or less tragic, but a shoot down will open a whole new and far more dangerous aspect to this war. Remember it was our arming these Tali-bastards (then called Mujahadeen) back in the 80's which allowed them to shoot down scores of Russian helicopters and paralyze the Red's efforts to subdue the them.

On top of that we've seen an increase in Green on Green attacks (ANA on Coalition training forces), but more troubling at present Blue on Green murders (ANP on Coalition training forces). I think that as we begin the turnover here the sleeper cells of Taliban inbeded in the Afghan National Army (Green)and the far more of them infiltrated into the Afghan National Police (Blue) will become more active against our and other Coalition troops. I can only hope I'm wrong or contingencies have been developed to thwart those acts.

As Labor Day approaches I hope all have had a good summer back home. We've been fortunate here in that it's been stable at about 125 for weeks, with very little dust too!! Much better than last years 148.

To all:

Thanks for all you do back home, your efforts there make ours easier here...we know our families are safe because of you.

Stay Safe

I was remiss in not reporting one other tidbit of news which I personally find to be very good news indeed. About two weeks ago we had a rocket attack around midday. Seven rockets were fired but only two actually made it onto the base. And while that's good news it's not THE good news. The best part of this story is that the Tali-bastards that fired those rockets did so from a truck riding around outside the wire. Well their position was triangulated and up went a Kiowa and Apache to thank them. And thank them they did. All of our friends in that truck got their most fervent wish.....to meet Allah in person. Good for them and better for us!! :D

Just one more thing:

To any Bridgeport guys who might read this, I had the honor and privilidge to meet one of your own deployed out here the other day. He's a reservist. We chatted briefly and I hope to get the opportunity to meet up with him again, as meeting anyone from CT out here is unusual let alone a fellow fireman from right around the corner so to speak. I have to say it was nice to talk tactics with someone who understands them.... ;). Unfortunately since I never forget a face but am horrible with names, his escapes me at the moment. I do remember that he has 15 years on the job, is currently assigned as a Training Capt and I believe his last name starts with an F and is probably of German extraction...if that helps

Edited by FFPCogs
210 and x4093k like this

RIP Lance Corporal Buckley, may your family find some solace for their loss and may you be revenged 1000 times over.

Well since it was in the news I can now say that yes, we here are on an extremely heightened state of readiness. All troops are armed and weapons loaded and stringent measures, including constant supervision by armed guards, have been taken regarding our Afghan workforce on base.

How many of you does this apply to?

http://news.yahoo.co...-185225577.html

Whether you believe we should be here or not, to "tune out" what goes on here does our troops a great disservice as well as yourselves. By ignoring this war you are allowing our political leaders, (or potential leaders) to be given a pass on figuring out what we are going to do out here. No political grandstanding or paritsan views, it doesn't matter if your Democrat or Republican. You owe it to the 1950 dead, thousands wounded and 80,000+ still here fighting and dying not to turn your backs to this conflict and their sacrfice. Get informed, get involved, and get our leaders to decide....either get out or get it done.

It was brought to my attention that my figures were incorrect. The approximate number of dead here is 2102...my apologies for the error.

Edited by FFPCogs