Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FFPCogs

Life in Afghanistan

85 posts in this topic

Pat,

The rig is a late 80's or 1990 E-one. It is the most idiotically designed piece of fire apparatus I've ever seen, but it does do the job.....barely

See you soon

Stay Safe

Cogs

Any way we can get some more shots of your rig down there.

Stay Safe Brother and keep the e-journal coming.

Any way we can get some more shots of your rig down there.

Stay Safe Brother and keep the e-journal coming.

I'm working on getting more pics up and will do so as soon as I can.

Stay safe

Cogs

Pat,

The rig is a late 80's or 1990 E-one. It is the most idiotically designed piece of fire apparatus I've ever seen, but it does do the job.....barely

See you soon

Stay Safe

Cogs

I get a laugh out of the fact that you flew halfway around the world to have to ride the front seat of a crappy white fire engine :)You can do that at home !! lol

I get a laugh out of the fact that you flew halfway around the world to have to ride the front seat of a crappy white fire engine :)You can do that at home !! lol

Oh the irony, but I'm sure some are quite happy with that arrangement ....;)

BTW technically the rig is faded tan but you're sure right about the crappy part. Half of it is cannabalized parts including the drive train, rear axle, radiator, generator and a number of pump parts from the previous E-2...a 1980's model Spartan/Thibault, gone now to the great scrap heap to be reincarnated as a bunch of Toyotas.

Stay safe and se you soon

Cogs

obrien3044s post got me to thinking about how this place has changed since we've been here and in particular about Kandahar's claim to fame, but more on that later.

As he stated back in '02 we came, we saw and we kicked the stuffing out of the Taliban that tried to "defend" this place. One of the buildings is now the entry terminal to the base and it is known by the acronym TLS. This stands for Taliban's Last Stand because it was here that a bunch tried to hold out and they got the bang of their lives for it. The roof still has a huge jagged hole and the walls are still scorched from the pounding these mujahadeen maggots rightfully recieved. At that time there really wasn't much here other than the airfield, some support buildings and the international terminal, which is still off limits to everyone save those with the highest security clearances. Since then this place has expanded to triple if not quaduple the size it was then, and it is still growing into a sector we call "Deep South" (uh huh we're out in 2014, yeah right Obama). This base has truly become a small city with all the infastructure, traffic and population that goes along with it, and that brings me to what has become the most well known feature of this place...the poo pond.

Yes you read correctly, the poo pond...or more precisely a collection of 4 waste water resevoirs. Anyone who'se been here within the last 5 years is very familiar with this odor-iffic anomoly which spreads it ever so sweet aroma far and wide over this entire base. Our main tourist attraction has taken on mythical significance. There are legends of people swimming the ponds, some for money, some just to say they've done it, but like most myths everybody knows somebody that knows somebody that knows the guy that swam the poo pond. The latest version is split between a Special Forces Sergeant and a Romanian long distance swimmer...take your pick. Then there are the tragic tales of drivers so overcome by the heavenly fragrance of this wonder of modern engineering that they have driven into it. But alas these local celebrities have proven to be just as elusive as the phantom swimmers. Like the Loch Ness monster, Bigfoot and UFOs there's never a camera around when you need one to catch one of these mythical creatures in action.

On a more practical note while our homegrown festering cesspool was once outside the camp, it is now almost dead center of it. There are signs denoting it as a biohazard and no entry and even ones meant I suppose to dissuade all those eager poo pond conquerers, telling us "no swimming"...seriously. Of course there are also a number of rather comical ones. A couple that come to mind include one offering lakefront property at reasonable rates, and another offering freshly caught local fish every Thrusday at the DFAC...this one might actually have merit. On any given day depending on the wind direction you will be treated to either a gentle whiff or a gag inducing wall of fecal stench. I thank the man upstairs everyday that both the station and our living quarters are mecifully upwind most days.

I will get some pics up of this well known Kandahar Airfield attraction, (why there's even T-shirts and mugs available at the PX to commerate the place), but until then here's a quick youtube video from 2010 on the subject:

There are other videos on youtube, some older some fairly new, and while none are specific to the FD they do offer a variety of views on life here.

Until next time

Stay safe all and as always

Thanks for your efforts in protecting the homefront

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs
firedude and billy98988 like this

Here's some pics of Engine 2. This rig was built in Germany for the Spanish Forestry Service and now serves the residents of Kandahar Airfield with distinction in all it's flourescent orange magnificence...

Here's a frontal view. In the background is station 2...yeah guys that's all there is...a small connex and a little shaded sitting area outside.

post-16171-0-96191800-1311853005.jpg

In this one E-2 is at the front of station 1. At the rear of the rig is the entrance to our bunker

post-16171-0-80920800-1311853060.jpg

John's working the pump at a drill in this one. Notice how little room the pump takes up, the hose reel (about 125 ft) and no hosebed

post-16171-0-24629100-1311853096.jpg

Here E-2 is parked in it's normal position back at station 2 alongside one of the Medic units that shares the "station"

post-16171-0-78097100-1311853126.jpg

Al's doing morning cleaning here, blowing out yesterday's dust. Although a little difficult to see the driver's side rear compartment holds all the hose this rig carries besides the hose reel..it ain't much

post-16171-0-01825000-1311853153.jpg

After my R&R in Sept I'll be assigned back here to this Engine. By the way I fly home on Sept 11th of all days and hope to make it in time to attend the dedication of a 9/11 memorial in Mt. Kisco..maybe I'll see some of you there...just look for the really tanned, fat bald guy...:P

Until next time

Stay safe all and as always

Thanks for your efforts in protecting the homefront

Cogs

x635, sfrd18 and billy98988 like this

Engine 2 is absolutely an apparatus that no one would spec out around the states (as far as im concerned). Is there a specific tactic to this type of apparatus? Doesn't seem user friendly, but yet I have never used it...

Engine 2 is absolutely an apparatus that no one would spec out around the states (as far as im concerned). Is there a specific tactic to this type of apparatus? Doesn't seem user friendly, but yet I have never used it...

As I said earlier this particular rig was destined for the Spanish Forestry Service so it was designed with the urban/wildland interface in mind, but much like all European rigs they try to fit everything into one nice compact little box. As you can see rarely if ever does such a plan work, something always gets shortchanged. According to my British colleagues their rigs while a bit larger are laid out basically the same. They ride with a 5 man crew and the 1st due takes on fire attack with the booster reel using the "pulse" method or quick short bursts to "cool" the superheated ceiling gases to get to the seat of the fire (much like we do to prevent flashover except they continue the process as they advance). The direct method which, at least in our neck of the woods is the norm, is not in their playbook, nor is ventilation as we know it. (This I know from yesterdays training in which we had a "discussion" on U.S. ventilation as part of fire attack vs the British method of it being done usually after the fire is out). I'll pass along some more of our regular "comparisons" of UK vs US fire tactics in another installment as that will take up a bit of space.

Back to the rig. Although difficult to see by the pics E-2 carries very little hose by our standards, 6 rolls or about 300ft of 45mm (1 3/4) and the same of 70mm (2 1/2), plus the 150 or so feet of the hose reel (our booster). Along with that there is an electric extrication tool built in Germany (weak at best), no preconnects other than the reel, a couple of extinguishers, air bags and various hand tool...but no Irons!!!!!!!! Driver and officer sit front, and the three FFs sit on a bench seat in back of the cab facing forward, but unlike E-3 the air conditioning sort of works..it's only 100 in there on our 130-140 degree days. It's a six speed that never gets beyond 4th gear, (usually only 3rd except on long runs). The pump is as simple as it gets and thankfully (at least to me) all the controls are still manual (no computer chip deciding if or when I get water). Other than that it's just a work truck built by Mercedes.

Being an American I am naturally far more familiar (and comfortable) with our designs, (which to my mind are becoming more and more European everyday). But you must remember that these rigs are designed to operate based on the tactics that will be employed by the FD. It is here that the differences and the validity of the designs contrast based on the differences in the way we do things. Overall E-2 is a servcable rig for here, but it is not designed to operate in the American fashion which employs our tactics i.e. direct fire attack ect. In the compartmentalized world of our European collegues their way works great (everything built of stone or masonary and compartmentalized to prevent or drastically reduce fire spread), but here the strctures are far more akin to an American town..albeit one that looks like it was built by kids making forts in the woods. My UK colleagues are coming to realize that our "way" is not as "wrong" as they once thought, just as I am coming to realize that I had alot of misconceptions about their "way". Working together we have developed some hybrid methods that work based on who gets to the scene first. and what resources are available. Fortunately as I've said before firemen are firemen the world over as is our enemy..so in the end we all want the same results..save lives and put the fire out. E-2 will help accomplish that task, it just takes a little getting used to in making that happen.

Til next time

Stay safe all and thanks

Cogs

Monty and x635 like this

Well another week has passed and that means I'm one week closer to getting home for R&R...6 more to go. Speaking of home I think this entry may be somewhat more personal than most because as I get closer to home I find myself thinking more and more about it. Now I'm not the emotional or sentimental type (according to my wife...:P ) other than the occasional angry outburst, but in keeping with the idea of giving a clear, albeit personal, view of life here for those that may want to embark on this path, I think in todays installment I'm going to share a little more on the trials and tribulations but equally important the positives and benefits of life here.

First off let me digress back to home and the universal malady that affects everyone here....homesickness. Yep even hardened firemen miss home at times, especally those of us with wives and children. For me yesterday was another reminder of what I'm missing. My wife attended the wedding of a friend and later after they were sent, I looked at the pictures. Everyone was happy, as they should be, and life went rolling merrily along except that I, perhaps selfishly, was,...well, saddened. This because of the fact that I was not the one standing beside my beautifully stunning wife enjoying the nuptials of a friend. As we all know sacrifice is a part of all of our lives, and we all accept that as a part of who and what we are. But in some respects it may be just a little bit more so for those that choose to work over here...we can't get relief guys to cover a shift so we can take half a nite or day off for a child's school play or big football game, holidays or birthdays or whatever. You give up alot coming here and again I'm not crying about that, I'm just making anyone interested aware that life will go on without you back home. And sometimes missing those parts of life can leave a large void. Some can't take it. I recall my first deployment to Iraq, my roommate, who also traveled to the camp with me, was there only 3 days and realized he couldn't do it, he couldn't become frozen in time and space in the sandbox. And in some ways that's what working here is like...we call it Groundhog day. At times it seems as if the clock is just spinning here and not moving forward, it stays the same for what feels like an endless cycle of days and nights simply repeating themselves where even the weather doesn't change. This sentiment invariably gets stronger for everyone here as events, good and bad, unfold back home. You quickly come to realize that you are not really an active part of the life back home anymore and have no control over it. Many accept this fact but for those that don't, most quit at their first R&R after they've arrived home and just can't come back because of that realization. Of course this epiphany is really only a minor inconvenience for us, as we can leave any time we want, but for the military it is a situation that is far more than an inconvenience and I am in no way trying to compare the two. In the end anyone thinking of coming over here must have the full understanding of what they will give up, and in some cases that sacrifce can extend all the way to wives and families as couples become lonely and grow apart. Many a marriage has come to a bitter end for guys here as the partners, both here and at home, seek solace to fill the voids.

Ok enough melancholia.

For all the trials and tribulations that have graced these last few installments there is a flip side to the coin. There are positive aspects and benefits to working out here which go beyond the obvious financial ones although that is a good place to start. This contract I'm currently on is one of the lower paying ones and I have no problem telling all that I stand to make just about 80K per year here as a Crew Chief (Engine Co. Officer). A firefighter can expect between 60-70K here at Kandahar. Not that anyone cares but the reasons I took this particular job are threefold of equal importance:

1. The pay, I do have a family to support

2. The desire to support and protect our troops in their mission here

3. The leave (R&R) package. We get 30 days off every 90 days with full pay. And for this family man that is a huge attraction and benefit of greater personal importance than the money alone.

Now as I said this is one of the lesser paying FD jobs out there, and for most guys out here money is naturally the most important motivator. Most jobs pay well over 100K a year with 30 days off annually. Crew Chiefs regularly pull in between 140-150K and Chiefs up to 200K. with 91.5 K being tax free for all. So as you can see this can be a lucrative means of making living. When done right a semi intelligent person can make their life here open doors that would have probably remained closed otherwise. And of course the money allows for many of the other "perks" that come from our efforts.

Travel, who wouldn't like to take long expensive vacations. Most firemen here do, especially the single guys. A single guy with half a brain can see the world and still have a good deal of money left over to build a life back home. Start a business, go to school, buy a house..I think you get the idea there. Or for the less prudent, splurge, go nuts and indulge every perverse whim that strikes your fancy in places like Thailand or the Phillipines, both of which hold the top spot as destinations for the single set here. A single colleague is going to Bali, yeah that paradisical island, for a month come October. Rio, Europe and Greek Isles or the Costa del Sol and Monaco, Japan, China and the rest of Asia, Hawaii...you name it and guys have gone there with the money they've made here. The possibilities are almost endless for the single. Of course for the more subdued or the family men, well it's really nice not to ever have to worry about paying a bill. Or better yet to work a year or two and pay off and OWN your house. How about treating the kiddies to all those things you never had as a kid and treating your wife to the things she deserves for putting up with you, because you can. Maybe take the family on a cruise at a whim. Here's another important one to any parent..college tuition in the bank. These are just some of the things made possible from the money earned working out here.

Self indulgences, yeah there's alot of that too. Cars, boats, motorcycles and all the newest, latest and greatest gadgets or electronic devices and toys out there have been bought outright by guys here. Clothes, jewlery, food, and "wine, women and song" along with just about anything else you can think of can be yours for your time and efforts. Here's one that tops the list for alot of the married guys...new boobs for the wife (thankfully I don't share that "need" as my wife is amply appointed in that department). Yeah that's right, all you plastic surgeons rejoice, I'll bet almost a quarter of the guys I've worked with over the years have invested in, as the joke says, that one of the two things fathers play with that's meant for the kids...the other being toy trains. But alas, of that quarter more than half have found themselves without that investment to play with after all as their wives have moved on to "bigger" and better things...maybe because as men we don't enjoy the luxury of being able to enhance our natural attributes. Well enough about that, as I'm sure you all get the picture as far as the money goes, other than to say that for me personally my time and the money earned over here past and present, has afforded my family and me the opportunity to live a modest yet relatively comfortable life..and that is worth putting up with any depravation as far as I'm concerned.

There are of course other far less tangible benefits to working out here which, depending on your personality, can be very rewarding. For most, supporting the troops is, if not tied with first among the reasons to be here, certainly one of the top five. Patriotism abounds out here especially with the Canadians, Brits and us Americans and I have seen it lived on every deployment I've been on. I too feel a deep sense of responsibility and pride in working for my Country and our military, even if it is indirectly. We regularly go above and beyond or to use the business term, "push the limits of the SOW" (scope of work) when dealing with the troops because to the vast majority of us they deserve at least that. Those that don't believe in "helping out" usually don't hang around too long, since they quickly come to find out (with a little help) that this isn't the kind of place for them.

Then there's the work. I love being a fireman and have since I was 16, (for those who feel that as a volunteer back home I am not one, well I won't even dignifiy that idiotic view with a response). Quite honestly it is probably the only thing I'm even remotely good at and I don't hold a candle to most of you. Anyway, while this isn't a major metropolis with fires and incidents every day, nor do I want to give that impression, all things being considered we do get relatively busy and we do a very diversified bit of work out here. Many guys (myself included) have taken advantage of this and the opportunites that have presented themselves. We have had both the good fortune and desire to take a number of training classes and attain certifications that we may not have otherwise been able to. These along with the work have been translated into practical experience both here and back home for most of us. For me, I have now spent a number of years as a Company officer out here as well, and this has put me in a position to deal with issues and gain experience to better serve back home. This again is a "perk" worth well beyond it's weight in gold, at least to me.

Another attraction, and to some of us a benefit, is the adrenaline rush of working in a environment which is full of dangers in addition to the normal fireground ones. Being in a war zone (and make no mistake this is an active one) is just the kind of lifestyle suited to those of us who, like me, thrive in crisis. I'm sure everyone here can relate, at least on some level, to the satisfaction we get from doing a good job while facing the life threatening dangers presented by our nemesis..Fire. You get that same satisfaction here along with the satisfaction of facing down people that want to maim and kill you at every turn. Again not to mislead, this is not the front lines and I'm not saying we face anywhere near the dangers of the troops, but the possibilty of an untimely death at the hands of a cunning, determined and fanatical enemy is ever present and doing our duty in spite of it can be, and for some is, very rewarding.

This job, like my previous tours has also given many of us an opportunity that I am positive we would not have otherwise had, the opportunity to meet and work with firemen from all over the U.S. and now the world. For some that may mean nothing and that is fine, but for others (again myself included) this work presents an opportunity to not only expand, but share our knowledge and experience far beyond what would have been possible at home. The work over here, by it's very nature, puts a variety of skill sets and methods together and forces them to meld into a working fire department. While some may see this as a drawback it is in reality a chance to build fire service from the ground up using the insights, knowledge and experiences of all of the personnel available. It may sound chaotic and in a sense it is. But I have been fortunate I guess in that for me, most times have found that for our efforts the results have been far more suprising and in the end rewarding than anyone thought possible. And in an extension to just the job itself, working these contracts can open up the world to those who want it in the form of friendships made out here. There are not many places with such a diverse population as there is stationed here where a firemen can spend the day making friends with a group of people from Romania in the morning, England at lunch and any number of other nations (including the locals), stationed here for dinner? The cultural and historical facets of all of these diverse groups is here and for those interested, open to exploration.

Well I seem to be getting a little (or alot) long winded so I'll cut it off there.

In closing I can only say that which I've said before...life here is, as it is everywhere, what you make of it. Guys that make it over here tend do so because they come in with eyes and minds wide open, so if the idea of working here is stirring in your brain, just try to remember that simple premise. To that end I have tried to paint as realistic and objective a picture of life here for you as I can, I hope I have done so thus far.

There is some news and I am still going to share the differences between UK and U.S. tactics, but since I've droned on long enough here we'll save those for another day.

As aways stay safe

and thanks for protecting the homefront

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs
x635, FFBlaser, billy98988 and 4 others like this

Mr. Cogs,

If it is ok with you may I post your postings to a blog I have on www.tacticalgamer.com ? It is a gaming site, I cannot name the amount of games represented though I play Project Reality www.realitymod.com which is a mod for Battlefield 2 and many other guys I know (several of which are volunteer FF in both the states and in Canadia) also play Arma 2 and Arma 2 Project Reality

I do know that many of the members would very much enjoy reading about your experiences in Kandahar, the funny thing is that a good friend of mine who is known as "dirtboy" is part of the red horse brigade which is a USAF engineering battalalion and I believe he helped build the runways for the airfield which you are at, don't quote me on it, but he too has some great stories about mines, and goats and goats walking over mines in Afghanistan and in Iraq, and the amount of goats which he has seen in both countries.

Thank you for your posts, they are extremely interesting especially since I am brand new to all of this FF stuff, it is very interesting, especially with the many differences between European and American rigs, even down to the type of equipment used. I would never think of using a crowbar for Forcible entry, I think if I found one and used it the OIC or Chief on scene would ream me, look at me and ask wtf I was doing and then I would probably be asked to leave indefinitely.

But, it is interesting none the less. Instead of irons, do the Brits have a designate "axe" man? What tactics do they use for OV?

Mr. Cogs,

If it is ok with you may I post your postings to a blog I have on www.tacticalgamer.com ? It is a gaming site, I cannot name the amount of games represented though I play Project Reality www.realitymod.com which is a mod for Battlefield 2 and many other guys I know (several of which are volunteer FF in both the states and in Canadia) also play Arma 2 and Arma 2 Project Reality

I do know that many of the members would very much enjoy reading about your experiences in Kandahar, the funny thing is that a good friend of mine who is known as "dirtboy" is part of the red horse brigade which is a USAF engineering battalalion and I believe he helped build the runways for the airfield which you are at, don't quote me on it, but he too has some great stories about mines, and goats and goats walking over mines in Afghanistan and in Iraq, and the amount of goats which he has seen in both countries.

Thank you for your posts, they are extremely interesting especially since I am brand new to all of this FF stuff, it is very interesting, especially with the many differences between European and American rigs, even down to the type of equipment used. I would never think of using a crowbar for Forcible entry, I think if I found one and used it the OIC or Chief on scene would ream me, look at me and ask wtf I was doing and then I would probably be asked to leave indefinitely.

But, it is interesting none the less. Instead of irons, do the Brits have a designate "axe" man? What tactics do they use for OV?

I appreciate the thought of passing along my experiences and I don't have a problem with it, so long as it for informational or entertainment purposes. I am very familiar with some of the Red Horse guys as they oversaw the construction of our fire station at Leatherneck last year.

As far as British forcible entry goes, truth be told I have not gotten too deeply into that subject with my UK colleagues yet. Our only discussions have been centered around the Irons and they're use. As with most of what we do although there are differences in techniques or tools, in the end the same procedures need to be caried out. One big difference is that they do not subscribe to VES. Thre is no way a search team will enter a building without a charged hoseline (or more often than not the hose reel in their case), so venting, entering and searching is an alien and almost it seems suicidal concept for them. The other responsibilites of that position carry a similar unfamiliarity to the Brits as well since they're ventilation is most often done after or just as the fire is being doused, not as an integral part of the extinguishment process. Roofs are also generally cut from the "safety" of an aerial platform only, if at all, so it would be rare indeed to see a roof team actually on the roof. In fact verticle ventilation seems to have become a lost art (if it ever was one) across the pond, so any venting will be done horizontally after the fact by what we might call an OV team.

On a side note in a discussion with my British counterpart from the other (Red) shift this morning outlining some equipment changes I made to the rig, I was quite shocked to find out that most times his crew did not take tools with them off the bat. To me that is an alien concept for sure as I still remember and am a firm believer that, as I was taught, you should always have a tool, the proper tool, in your hand and ready to use at a scene. I explained that for me I designate jobs for the crew based on where a member sits on the rig. Can man sits behind me, so his extinguisher and hook are now readily available within easy reach. The Irons man sitting behind the driver has his set of irons now mounted directly across from his seat in the cab. In the event of a job the guy behind me takes nozzle and the Irons man keeps his tools and ends up as the back up or door man depending on our staffing. The middle seat or 3rd FF in the rear (when avaliable) acts as the gopher at smells and bells and the back-up man at a job. As the Officer I'm expected to remain outside and "direct", but in the work we've done thus far I seem to end up inside directing, and or searching as needed. I also subscribe to the belief that at a working fire our primary job when first due is to get water on the fire and as such the crew seating/assignments are designed to meet that goal. For better or worse that philosphy has now been adopted as defacto SOP because it has been proven by events to work here.

In closing let me just say welcome to the fire service, I hope you make a lifetime of it and gain as much from it as many of us have.

Stay safe

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs
Monty, firedude and x635 like this

Well it's been a little while since I put forth an installment of the ongoing "Life in Afghanistan" saga, so here's the latest.

It's been a busy couple of weeks here in terms of work and our unsolicited visits from the towel heads. First up is the work. We've had a number of working fires of late including 2 barracks, 2 small storage sheds, a food warehouse and a fire which consumed 10 seacans (connex's) and their contents. All of these have been on blue shift leaving red shift to only dream of putting out a fire, (seems all the white clouds have congregated on that shift). On top of those fires Blue has also had 3 car fires, 1 truck fire and 4 MVA's two of which were rollovers. Why we even had to do some extracation on one of them which landed on it's roof in a drainage ditch. All of these incidents were during the day except the connex's, which happened just as we sat down to dinner. The others were all middle of the day 125-135 degree ambient temperature events. Well if nothing else the pounds do drop away in turnouts at 125. In all instances injuries were slight and damage held to a minimum by the quick work of all involved. Another example of training paying off as we've been hammering the basics and the results have proven to be worth the effort. I do have pics but they will not load for some reason, (most likely a Hajji conspiracy to prevent news from reaching the outside world...LOL). As soon as our internet issues are resolved I'll get them up.

On to the other news. It's Ramadan which for those that don't know is a monthlong Muslim holiday, or should I say religious observance. It seems that although all devout Muslims will not drink, smoke or eat anything during daylight hours in honor of this observance, they sure as hell have no problem throwing the mortars and rockets our way. We've spent quite a bit of time in the bunkers, which being concrete retain all of the days heat well into the overnight hours. We've had numerous impacts on base including a couple in the ammo storage areas....alot of big booming things in there...but thus far the only really close ones were dudus save on phosphorus round which caught a tent on fire but was quickly handled by the staff. The fuel points still seem to be of intense interest as well, but again thanks to the Chinese made presents we get mostly duds. We did get a close call when a 107mm hit just outside a barracks in the Canadian compound. Two injuries which we treated prior to the ambulances arrival. Both will be fine with just some shrapnel to the legs and back. We did learn that our T-walls (think Jersey barriers on steriods) can hold up to the rockets pretty well. This one impacted and exploded against one and the wall held firm while taking the brunt of the blast, although a 4x4x6 storage box ceased to exist. That's not to say there was no damage, in fact the barrack suffered some pretty extensive hits. The main entrance was blown inwards in a V pattern for a good 4-5 feet and all the windows shattered. We also found the padlock from the disintegrated storage box implanted in a leg of a bunkbed, (being a Master Lock ™ it was still locked firmly a testament to American padlock ingenuity and integrity). This was one of many shrapnel holes which dotted the sides of 3 buildings altogether. Yeah when these things go off they can inflict alot of damage and pain. Anyway it does get better. The very next shift as two of my Blue crew "mates" (like the Brit influence...LOL) sat outside another 107mm rocket came screaming in and landed a mere 50 ft...yeah that's right 50 feet...away. No one saw it land, all that was seen was a cloud of dust followed immediately by the rocket alarm. Off to the bunker we went until the EOD guys arrived. The entire area around the firehose was cordoned off and the ARFF crews and rigs evacuated...structural had to hang around just in case...of what I don't know, but just in case. So in the end our near miss did not go off and EOD decided to leave it where it landed and came to rest...9ft underground through, as anyone who's ever been in a desert knows, hard packed almost rocklike soil. And this incomng has continued unabated with only 2 of the last 10 days being quiet. Today has been in and out of the bunker all day, (I think right now were at 6 times and it's only three in the afternoon). Ahhh Ramadan gotta love it!!

Of course we were all saddened by the loss of the 31 last week, along with another 8 or so recently..I know for sure 5 just the other day in a roadside bomb...they went home Thursday night I think. As always we pay our respects respectfully from a distance to honor the fallen.

On a lighter note I'm outta here and homeward bound for a monthlong R&R in four weeks and I can't f***ing wait!!!!!!!

Stay safe all and to all thanks for your efforts on the homefront

Cogs

billy98988, x635, Monty and 1 other like this

Well it's been awhile since I added anything here so I thought I'd just give a little update on things and maybe spout off a little about some recent developments in this part of the world.

So first off I'm just back form R&R, starting my 3rd shift back on tomorrow. It was great to get home, be the wife and kids, smell and feel the rain and see things with colors other than tan. My little guy is playing football and my daughter is a cheerleader so weekends were spent watching them on the field. I managed to get home in time for a 9/11 memorial dedication ceremony which was beautiful, and in my travels saw a number of really great ones as well...I must take this opportunity to pass along that I think the one a 5 Company in Stamford is one of, if not the best one I've ever seen...great job guys!!!!!

That said, we had some interesting incidents just prior to my departure home and a couple since I've been back (10/20). The most notable occured my first shift back when a suicide bomber attempted to detonate a tanker truck of propane at one of the entry points. Thankfully (and quite honestly mercifully) the bomb makers wired the device wrong and it not only exploded prematurely but because it was ill placed it only destroyed the cab and driver (only his feet remained in the cab) of the vehicle. No coalition forces were injured and the propane tank was emptied and then destroyed. This one could have been much, much worse. An assesment by the military concluded that had the device exploded properly niether I nor up to 2500 other people here would be talking to anyone right now. They estimated the blast radius would have easily encompassed a 1/4 of the base. Another note on this: it has been said that the VBIED exploded prematurely because the driver did it early purposely. Why you might ask? Well becuase his family was being held hostage to force him to carry out the attack. I saw this many times in Iraq and find it to be quite plausible. Whether that's true or he was just an idiot either way this guy saved hundreds if not thousands of lives...so thank you Mohammed.

Another noteworthy event took place just short of my R&R when an incoming rocket hit a wooden schoolhouse used by the kids of locals that work on base. No children were in the building at the time. A rocket hit it square and it was engulfed upon our arrival send a huge plume of black smoke int the morning sky. An adjacent wooden building roughly 100X50 (exposure 1) was also involved upon arrival. The schoolhouse was a total loss but we did save the exposures. A job well done by the boys who, in addition to the heat, regular turnout gear and dust, also had to contend with our body armor for the duration as it was a while before the all clear was given.

And the day I was leaving another suicide bomber on the North side met his maker before he managed to blow himself (and more importantly any of us) to Allah thanks to the quick work of our Force Protection guys. Along with that is the usual 3 to 5 calls a day and incoming on a fairly regular basis as described earlier here.

September and October have brought about some interesting and to me potentially disturbing changes to the landscape over here in the Middle East. As I'm sure we all know by now the world is rid of Moammar Khadafiy. I for one am as happy as pie at that outcome, but what baffles me is the calls for an investigation into his death. What's to investigate?... a murderous barbaric dictator got what was coming to him from his own people. Who cares if he had a trial or not in a world court...he had a trial on the spot, was sentenced and the sentence was carried out...bye bye Moammar and good riddance!! Another rather profound change is the recent announcement of the removal of all U.S. combat troops from Iraq. Now on this I'm not so sure we're taking the right path. I know a pledge was made by our President and he is in fact adhering to a tentative timetable set by his predecessor, but in reality folks the Iraqis are in no position to survive without us there. Ok so some may say so what screw them anyway...and that's one option. But I take a slightly different view on it. We have spilled the blood of thousands of American service members (and some civilians too) on that soil. Do we now just walk away and let their sacrifice be in vain as the country degenerates into chaos once again until Iran steps in. One may not agree with why we were there in the first place, but we would be safer in the long run to keep a presence there awhile longer if you ask me. And as far as this place goes, well I don't see us pulling out in 2014 but of we do it will most lilely be another mistake as this cradle of the taliban will once agin become a breeding ground and save haven for terrorists. Which brings me to the latest statement from that squeaky clean, most upstanding poster child of the incorruptable politician, Hamid Karzai. This "President" of Aghanistan has publically stated that in the event of a war between Pakistan and the U.S., he would side with Pakistan. So much for loyalty huh boys and girls? This POS seems to forget that he exists only because we, in an effort to promote self determination, let him. But hey judging from what I've seen the Afghan National Army is not a real source of worry on the battlefield...except maybe to each other. One more opinion if I may....Pakistan is a powder keg waiting to blow my friends. It is from there that the majority of this war's "freedom fighters" have emerged. They have been playing both sides for years and with the death of Osama and Karzai's statements relations between us are becoming more and more strained each day. I fear things will get worse before they get better in this part of the world and hope that all of you will stand in support our Nation if these troubles increase. Hey if the Mayans and Hollywood are right and 2012 is the end I'm sure it is right here that the end will start...this part of the world is as f****ed up as it gets.

Stay safe

and thanks for all you all do on the homefront (especially my Belltown Boys AtW since 1928)

Cogs

99subi, Monty, JFLYNN and 4 others like this

I always enjoy reading about your very unqique and dangerous job. I couldn't imagine doing it. You do a great job presenting each one, and I look forward to the next.....

I also appreciate the time you spend to write these to share with all of us here on EMTBravo. Thank you.

I always enjoy reading about your very unqique and dangerous job. I couldn't imagine doing it. You do a great job presenting each one, and I look forward to the next.....

I also appreciate the time you spend to write these to share with all of us here on EMTBravo. Thank you.

You're welcome Seth, and thank you for the forum to share my experiences. I will continue to post installments as I can and when there is something of value to tell without repeating myself too much.

Stay Safe

Cogs

Yeah I second the appreciation for the many posts you've written describing life on the Base there. I think everybody here appreciates and respects what you are doing over there. Aside from the fact you are in the middle of the controversy with Stamford Fire Rescue. I honestly wish that weren't the case. It kind of skewed my view of what you were writing, because in the countless pages that have been written about the situation in Stamford, I come down squarely on the side of the Brothers of SFRD. Any plan that could possibly put SFRD firefighters' jobs on the line, obviously abhors me.

My questions to you are regarding the war. Obama has indicated a major pullback in Iraq. Bin Laden has been killed in Pakistan. The original objective of the incursion into Afghanistan was to get that b@stard and his cronies. To a large extent, this has been accomplished. Al Zawahiri remains at large; I'd give it 90+ percent chance that he is not in Afghanistan.

So my question to you, a private contractor working for the U.S. government, boots on the ground; when do we leave Afghanistan? We've been there longer than we were in Vietnam. This conflict has taken much longer than WWI or WWII. Longer than the Revolution. Longer than the Civil War. The longest war, am I correct? And what have we accomplished for the trillions we have spent in both Iraq and Afghanistan? The thousand of dead soldiers, and tens of thousands more gravely wounded?

Do you think our troops will ever eliminate the Taliban? Do you think the Karzi government plays it all ways? Is there graft and corruption rampant within Afghanistan? Is the drug trade flourishing? When does it end for us? What is the end game?

Maybe we'd be better served to ramp up the drone program, run it out of Kandahar AFB, and just continue to bomb cells of bad guys in the tribal regions of Pakistan?

A lot of questions, and maybe due to military censorship, you're not able to address these issues in a public forum. Understandable.

I just think not one more ounce of American blood should be spilled in Afghanistan. I don't think the conflict is worth the lives and money we lose and spend. The problems back here at home need to be given priority now. It's way passed the time to wrap it up; Afghanistan historically takes down Empires, and our continued pouring of resources into the country is like a Black Hole. Never ending war. Feeding the military-industrial complex that Ike warned us about. America is broke. Downgraded credit rating. Federal deficit that is well on it's way to breaking the back of this country. State budgets in crisis all over the country. Defaulting municipalities, laid off public employees, vilified firefighters and police officers, a growing public outcry and civil unrest starting to take root.

A President who has gone back on just about every single campaign promise. Close Gitmo. Not. End the Afghanistan war. Not.

We got Bin Laden. We got a vast majority of Al Quieda. We got some serious payback for 9-11. We're broke. Time for our honorable troops and civilian support personnel to come home? If not, why and what objective are we looking to accomplish?

Thanks and stay safe.

ny10570 likes this

I'll do my best to answer your questions with the understanding that the views expressed are mine and mine alone

Yeah I second the appreciation for the many posts you've written describing life on the Base there. I think everybody here appreciates and respects what you are doing over there. Aside from the fact you are in the middle of the controversy with Stamford Fire Rescue. I honestly wish that weren't the case. It kind of skewed my view of what you were writing, because in the countless pages that have been written about the situation in Stamford, I come down squarely on the side of the Brothers of SFRD. Any plan that could possibly put SFRD firefighters' jobs on the line, obviously abhors me.

On this subject I must say that it is unfortunate if your views in regards to my relating my experiences here have been skewed due to my fervent beliefs regarding my hometown situation, they are in fact unrelated. Stamford is in turmoil yes, and in part that turmoil is due to bad decisions made on the part of all the players invloved incuding your union brothers of L-786. Let me be as clear as I can about something, I do not now nor have I never advocated for or supported the loss of anyone's job from SFRD....period. In fact I will say once agian that the option put forth by a group of us did address the job situation and guarantees no layoffs and promotions as well as two new hires and all that within the confines of no increase in spending. But enough about Stamford.

My questions to you are regarding the war. Obama has indicated a major pullback in Iraq. Bin Laden has been killed in Pakistan. The original objective of the incursion into Afghanistan was to get that b@stard and his cronies. To a large extent, this has been accomplished. Al Zawahiri remains at large; I'd give it 90+ percent chance that he is not in Afghanistan. So my question to you, a private contractor working for the U.S. government, boots on the ground; when do we leave Afghanistan? We've been there longer than we were in Vietnam. This conflict has taken much longer than WWI or WWII. Longer than the Revolution. Longer than the Civil War. The longest war, am I correct?

Yes I believe this is our Nation's the longest war. As for when do we leave, well I say we leave when the threat to our Nation is eradicated. To that end I think that we will need to have a military presence in this part of the world for the foreseeable future.

And what have we accomplished for the trillions we have spent in both Iraq and Afghanistan? The thousand of dead soldiers, and tens of thousands more gravely wounded?

We have made our Country safer by rooting out and eliminating those who seek to do us grievous harm where the are. The blood spilled on these foreign shores has not been in vain because I subscribe to what I know is a general feeling among our troops here who often express it with this sentiment: "we would rather be doing this here than at home". And I believe that if we desert these operations here we will face a dramatic increase in terrorist activities and violence which will require a military solution at home. America's strength since the early 20th century has been our ability to keep the fight off our shores, failure to meet violence with violence here will only encourage our enemies to attack us at home. And quite frankly as I see it they use what resources they have fighting us here, not using them to get at everyone back home.

Do you think our troops will ever eliminate the Taliban? Do you think the Karzi government plays it all ways? Is there graft and corruption rampant within Afghanistan? Is the drug trade flourishing?

1)Yes I believe the Taliban can be eliminated, but not by military action alone. Life must get better for the people here to lessen the draw of groups like the Taliban. But the Tailban is just a symptom of a much larger problem facing the World.....radical miltant Islam

2) I think the Karzai government is a rotted bloated corrupt corpse in need of burial

3) I do not have first hand knowledge of corruption, but the signs are pretty evident all around us

4) Drugs are a major source of income here, not only for our enemies but for the regular Joe ( or should I say Akmed) as well. The trade although illicit and despicable is how many people simply feed their families here. And in what I'm sure will cause consternation to some, I believe that in the end it is not the drug growers or even pushers who are to blame alone, after all for them it is a business, but more so the users. There has to be a demand for the product otherwise it would not be profitable to engage in the drug trade in the first place. Drug trafficking as a way of life needs to be eradicated here, but there must be something to replace it if we are to gain the support or at least acceptance of the people here. It will be next to impossible to convince people to stop engaging in drug trafficking if they have no other way to feed temselves.

When does it end for us? What is the end game?

This war could end in a relatively short time if we approached it as a war. The restraints placed on our forces are hampering their ability to win a war and are in fact prolonging it. I do not advocate killing innocent people, but I do advocate winning our wars by whatever means necessary. If villagers are not with us they are against us and as far as I'm concerned they are the enemy and should be treated as such.

The end game here is the destruction of the Taliban and their supporters as well as a stabilzed country that wll no longer harbor terrorists nor aid them in their activities.

Maybe we'd be better served to ramp up the drone program, run it out of Kandahar AFB, and just continue to bomb cells of bad guys in the tribal regions of Pakistan?

Here is the problem with this option. Pakistan is a soveriegn nation and a supposed ally, attacks on their territory will only widen the conflict and feed the insurgency. Also wars are not won by long distance engagements. We must have troops on the ground and the infastructure to support them and help move this country forward to secure the gains we make..and we are making them albeit very slowly. The whole issue of this region is containing and eliminating radical Islamic militants. This is happening here in Afghanistan, but it is Pakistan that is the breeding ground for the majority of this scourge. Until we face that demon we will be holding back the flood at best, but holding back that flood is a necessity or it will only get worse. When the time is right we will have to deal with radicalism in Pakistan if thye do not do so themselves, but for now we must work on eliminating it here first.

A lot of questions, and maybe due to military censorship, you're not able to address these issues in a public forum. Understandable.

I just think not one more ounce of American blood should be spilled in Afghanistan. I don't think the conflict is worth the lives and money we lose and spend. The problems back here at home need to be given priority now. It's way passed the time to wrap it up; Afghanistan historically takes down Empires, and our continued pouring of resources into the country is like a Black Hole. Never ending war. Feeding the military-industrial complex that Ike warned us about. America is broke. Downgraded credit rating. Federal deficit that is well on it's way to breaking the back of this country. State budgets in crisis all over the country. Defaulting municipalities, laid off public employees, vilified firefighters and police officers, a growing public outcry and civil unrest starting to take root.

Yes we do face a myriad of problems back home, but failure to address the enemies outside will only end up leaving us more vulnerable at home. The troubles back home are severe and it will take sacrifices on the part of every American to get us moving out of the morass we are in at home. Maybe some type of new "New Deal" is in order to help jump start that process, but we can't just leave here now no matter the burden. The consequences of that would be dire and such a move would end up creating a worse problem in the end as our departure would signal to our enemies that all they have to do is wait us out. We will have a chance in a year to change direction of things back home and hopefully this time we will make the right choice.

A President who has gone back on just about every single campaign promise. Close Gitmo. Not. End the Afghanistan war. Not.

Which is why I didn't vote for him

We got Bin Laden. We got a vast majority of Al Quieda. We got some serious payback for 9-11. We're broke. Time for our honorable troops and civilian support personnel to come home? If not, why and what objective are we looking to accomplish?

Well I think I've covered this, but I will reiterate that as far as I'm concerned and in a nutshell our involvement here and throughout the Middle East is necessary to act as a bulwark against the spread of radical Islamic militancy. We as a nation and as Americans are a target in this world and to me that means that we must be ever vigilant and ever ready to use force to protect ourselves. I do not take the shedding of the blood of so many young and honorable Americans lightly, but I do believe that like their forefathers their spilled blood has made us safer in this world. For that they have my most hearfelt and eternal gratitude

Stay Safe

and thanks for all you do on the homefront

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs
CFFD117, Monty, efdcapt115 and 2 others like this

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions from your perspective. I repped you for the post, but a couple of your comments bothered me. You referred to members of SFRD as "my union Brothers". If you are so neutral in the discussions up there, wouldn't that be "our Brother firefighters?" Further, my understanding (and it is far from being totally knowledgeable about Stamford I do admit) is that the Chief of SFRD's proposal would unite the entire city, while the side you advocate for continues to advocate for a split department for the city. Is my take on that incorrect as well? But like you said, enough about Stamford.

So you continue to believe that after 10 years of battle in Afghanistan, our objective is to root out and destroy "radical Islam." Yet you also admit that the place of refuge for the fighters our troops do battle with come over from the tribal regions in Pakistan. In a recent interview I saw with Imran Khan, a man who is garnering much support in Pakistan as of late, he stated that there are over "one million armed men" in the tribal regions. Do we root out radicalism among-st all of these men, or do we create more radicals merely by our military presence in Afghanistan?

I supported the notions you have espoused; for years. I have come to the conclusion that it will not be done, and this is by no means an admission of failure, or defeat on the part of our military. As I stated before, I think our objectives have largely been met. It was not the Taliban who attacked us on 9/11; they gave refuge to Bin Laden and Al Quieda. Al Quieda has suffered major degradation thanks to the work of our military, CIA, and allies within the region. Taliban will never lay down their weapons. They've been carrying them for more centuries than America has been in existence. When we refer to Taliban, we might as well just say "the men of the region who carry guns."

Having degraded Al Quieda to the point of insignificance, I think we have won. The Taliban will continue to lob mortar rounds into your Base....forever. They will never lay down their weapons and make peace, nor will they be able to mount attacks on Americans on the Homeland. They have no ships, no air-force. Let them think they made us leave, really who cares what they think? Let them return to their tribal ways, and take out their frustrations on each other, instead of continuing to provide them with an enemy that unites them. That would be us and the Coalition.

I don't know if you saw this, but Maj. General Peter Fuller was relieved of his command yesterday, because he made some "disparaging statements about the Karzi government."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/04/peter-fuller-fired_n_1077204.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl8%7Csec1_lnk2%7C110149

My overall impression of Karzi is he is a backstabbing, two-faced, traitor toward the United States. Why do we continue to prop his government up? He stated if the United States and Pakistan were to go to war, he would side with Pakistan:

In a recent interview with the website Politico, Fuller characterized Afghan leaders as erratic, ungrateful and isolated from reality. The interview quotes him as saying Afghan leaders don't fully recognize America's sacrifices on their country's behalf.

Referring to Karzai's recent assertion that Afghanistan would side with Pakistan if Pakistan got into a war with the U.S., Fuller was quoted as calling the comments "erratic," adding, "Why don't you just poke me in the eye with a needle! You've got to be kidding me . I'm sorry, we just gave you $11.6 billion and now you're telling me, I don't really care?"

Fuller said the Afghans have at times made unreasonable requests for U.S. assistance.

"You can teach a man how to fish, or you can give them a fish," Fuller was quoted as saying. "We're giving them fish while they're learning, and they want more fish! (They say,) `I like swordfish, how come you're giving me cod?' Guess what? Cod's on the menu today."

Fuller also said the Afghans don't understand the extent to which the U.S. is in economic distress or the "sacrifices that America is making to provide for their security." He said the Afghans are "isolated from reality."

Talking about being isolated from reality, our national debt (on the Federal level only) is about to surpass 15 TRILLION dollars. Yes, Washington D.C. is isolated from reality. The worst part about this blood-letting endless war is that those same idiots in DC are the ones who tie the commanders hands in Afghanistan, and don't let them finish the job the way it should be done. Rather, we get this 10 years and counting, protracted endless war, that is creating more enemies than it is killing. If they would have let Stan McCrystal, David Patreaus, or any of the other competent Generals fight the war with adequate resources and rules of engagement, you and everybody else working or fighting over there would have been home a few years ago.

I guess I've made the point I was trying to make. Once again, I do thank you for providing fire protection to our military, and protecting the Base there.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions from your perspective. I repped you for the post, but a couple of your comments bothered me. You referred to members of SFRD as "my union Brothers". If you are so neutral in the discussions up there, wouldn't that be "our Brother firefighters?" Further, my understanding (and it is far from being totally knowledgeable about Stamford I do admit) is that the Chief of SFRD's proposal would unite the entire city, while the side you advocate for continues to advocate for a split department for the city. Is my take on that incorrect as well? But like you said, enough about Stamford.

Well now the fact is the point I was making is that mistakes have been made by all involved, it was you who stated that you "come down squarely on the side of the Brothers of SFRD". As for my neutrality, well quite frankly I never professed to be neutral. Just as you feel strongly that " Any plan that could possibly put SFRD firefighters' jobs on the line, obviously abhors me", I feel just as strongly that any plan that in effect eliminates volunteers, abhors me. I also feel strongly that SFRD would be hard pressed to effectively cover the entire City with the resources presently at it's disposal and that in reality neither current plan is sufficent, therefore an alternate plan is necessary.

So you continue to believe that after 10 years of battle in Afghanistan, our objective is to root out and destroy "radical Islam." Yet you also admit that the place of refuge for the fighters our troops do battle with come over from the tribal regions in Pakistan. In a recent interview I saw with Imran Khan, a man who is garnering much support in Pakistan as of late, he stated that there are over "one million armed men" in the tribal regions. Do we root out radicalism among-st all of these men, or do we create more radicals merely by our military presence in Afghanistan?

I supported the notions you have espoused; for years. I have come to the conclusion that it will not be done, and this is by no means an admission of failure, or defeat on the part of our military. As I stated before, I think our objectives have largely been met. It was not the Taliban who attacked us on 9/11; they gave refuge to Bin Laden and Al Quieda. Al Quieda has suffered major degradation thanks to the work of our military, CIA, and allies within the region. Taliban will never lay down their weapons. They've been carrying them for more centuries than America has been in existence. When we refer to Taliban, we might as well just say "the men of the region who carry guns."

Having degraded Al Quieda to the point of insignificance, I think we have won. The Taliban will continue to lob mortar rounds into your Base....forever. They will never lay down their weapons and make peace, nor will they be able to mount attacks on Americans on the Homeland. They have no ships, no air-force. Let them think they made us leave, really who cares what they think? Let them return to their tribal ways, and take out their frustrations on each other, instead of continuing to provide them with an enemy that unites them. That would be us and the Coalition.

I don't know if you saw this, but Maj. General Peter Fuller was relieved of his command yesterday, because he made some "disparaging statements about the Karzi government."

http://www.huffingto...1_lnk2%7C110149

My overall impression of Karzi is he is a backstabbing, two-faced, traitor toward the United States. Why do we continue to prop his government up? He stated if the United States and Pakistan were to go to war, he would side with Pakistan:

Talking about being isolated from reality, our national debt (on the Federal level only) is about to surpass 15 TRILLION dollars. Yes, Washington D.C. is isolated from reality. The worst part about this blood-letting endless war is that those same idiots in DC are the ones who tie the commanders hands in Afghanistan, and don't let them finish the job the way it should be done. Rather, we get this 10 years and counting, protracted endless war, that is creating more enemies than it is killing. If they would have let Stan McCrystal, David Patreaus, or any of the other competent Generals fight the war with adequate resources and rules of engagement, you and everybody else working or fighting over there would have been home a few years ago.

I guess I've made the point I was trying to make. Once again, I do thank you for providing fire protection to our military, and protecting the Base there.

To these points I will only say that everyone of us is entitled to our own opinions. I have made mine pretty clear as have you, and as Americans that is our right. I respect your views and more importantly your right to them, but I know that I will not be changing mine any time soon, nor will I argue them here. Fact is my continued presence in this cesspool of a country only solidifies my beliefs and reinforces my commitment to serve those who serve our nation. For now I will go back to relating my take on life here in Afghanistan and my personal views and experiences of that life. You or anyone is of course entitled to comment on any part at any time, but I think I will follow the advice of some very wise men and leave the debates about politics and religion for another thread.

Stay safe

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs
efdcapt115 likes this

Well now the fact is the point I was making is that mistakes have been made by all involved, it was you who stated that you "come down squarely on the side of the Brothers of SFRD". As for my neutrality, well quite frankly I never professed to be neutral. Just as you feel strongly that " Any plan that could possibly put SFRD firefighters' jobs on the line, obviously abhors me", I feel just as strongly that any plan that in effect eliminates volunteers, abhors me. I also feel strongly that SFRD would be hard pressed to effectively cover the entire City with the resources presently at it's disposal and that in reality neither current plan is sufficent, therefore an alternate plan is necessary.

To these points I will only say that everyone of us is entitled to our own opinions. I have made mine pretty clear as have you, and as Americans that is our right. I respect your views and more importantly your right to them, but I know that I will not be changing mine any time soon, nor will I argue them here. Fact is my continued presence in this cesspool of a country only solidifies my beliefs and reinforces my commitment to serve those who serve our nation. For now I will go back to relating my take on life here in Afghanistan and my personal views and experiences of that life. You or anyone is of course entitled to comment on any part at any time, but I think I will follow the advice of some very wise men and leave the debates about politics and religion for another thread.

Stay safe

Cogs

Fair enough. Yes I did say I came down squarely on the side of the Brothers of the SFRD, but I know that was not a statement against the volunteers of those other departments, because as I've tried my best to understand the SFRD issues, no plan eliminates volunteer firefighters, but some plans could have put some SFRD firefighters jobs in jeopardy. As best as I understand it now, you will only advocate for a plan that would not do that.

I have built my reputation on this board as someone who understands and accepts the fact that the fire service is and will always be both a career and a volunteer service, and that in order for progress to be made anywhere, members on both sides are going to have to overcome age old prejudices they may begrudge against each other.

I was on the job in the "good old days" when drunken volunteers walked in off the street, made disparaging comments to me that I was a glorified janitor, before heading up to the bar in the firehouse to complete putting their package on.

If any career firefighter could/would carry a grudge toward volunteers, it would be one from a combination job, when there was (or maybe still is in places I don't know) a constant and concerted effort to rob us of our dignity, put us down, and play power games against us. When I was promoted in '98 to Captain and put in charge of training the volunteers in my former department, I chose to try and be a better man than that; offering respect and receiving it back. I have never looked back.

I don't "protect the homefront" anymore. I'm retired due to illness; lucky to be alive and cherishing every day of the pension I earned with my efforts and sacrificing my health along the way to try and make ironically, a safer and healthier environment for others.

We all make/made sacrifices in our own way for this country; every one of us who took an Oath to protect the Constitution when we joined our respective services.

I'll not sidetrack your journal thread anymore, as I do respect the job you are doing there, and don't want to distract you from conveying what you believe is important for the members here to read. I'm sure you are well compensated for it, and you deserve it. The biggest problem I see here on the homefront is nobody seems to notice or care anymore that our troops and civilian support are still fighting/working in Afghanistan, still dying for our country, still making major sacrifices every day. To this point, I'm glad that we've debated a bit; maybe it stirred a few readers to think a little and not take for granted the fact that it is war, and you are working in a war-zone with tens of thousands of our fellow countrymen/women. I respect your point of view, and thank you for respecting mine.

Stay well.

Fair enough. Yes I did say I came down squarely on the side of the Brothers of the SFRD, but I know that was not a statement against the volunteers of those other departments, because as I've tried my best to understand the SFRD issues, no plan eliminates volunteer firefighters, but some plans could have put some SFRD firefighters jobs in jeopardy. As best as I understand it now, you will only advocate for a plan that would not do that.

I may seem to be anti-union or anti- career but that is simply not the case. I am pro-volunteer and proud of that fact but I do not and will not support any plans that eliminates the jobs of my career colleagues, but by the same token I will not support any plan the relegates volunteers to a secondary status or role either simply because they are volunteers. Both sides carry with them the predjudices built up over years of animosity and no amount of goodwill will completely eliminate that. I honestly believe that while by no means neutral I have tried earnestly to see the situation from both sides and I think I've done a fair job at it while maintaining my core beliefs. Others may disagree and by all means that is there right. In the end I sincerely hope a new approach in which both sides work together in the true spirit of cooperation takes root. I am fully aware that this may be nothing more than a pipe dream, but it is one I will continue to espouse and work for. Whether or not others will follow suit remains to be seen

I have built my reputation on this board as someone who understands and accepts the fact that the fire service is and will always be both a career and a volunteer service, and that in order for progress to be made anywhere, members on both sides are going to have to overcome age old prejudices they may begrudge against each other.

I was on the job in the "good old days" when drunken volunteers walked in off the street, made disparaging comments to me that I was a glorified janitor, before heading up to the bar in the firehouse to complete putting their package on.

If any career firefighter could/would carry a grudge toward volunteers, it would be one from a combination job, when there was (or maybe still is in places I don't know) a constant and concerted effort to rob us of our dignity, put us down, and play power games against us. When I was promoted in '98 to Captain and put in charge of training the volunteers in my former department, I chose to try and be a better man than that; offering respect and receiving it back. I have never looked back.

I don't "protect the homefront" anymore. I'm retired due to illness; lucky to be alive and cherishing every day of the pension I earned with my efforts and sacrificing my health along the way to try and make ironically, a safer and healthier environment for others.

We all make/made sacrifices in our own way for this country; every one of us who took an Oath to protect the Constitution when we joined our respective services.

From our discussions here it is clear to me that you have built a solid reputation and one that is well earned. I respect that and the effort it took to build that standing, so please understand that any disageements we may have are in no way meant to tarnish or diminish that respect. I hope I do not come across as disrespectful to you in any way, if I have you have my apologies.

It is also clear to me that you have a view of volunteers based at least in part by your experiences with them. Well all I can say is that I would never tolerate such treatment by either "side" in a combination house.

I am truly sorry that you have taken ill due to your years of service, and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for those years and what you have given to the fire service and all it's members, career and voluteer alike. But I will take exception to one point you have made. I do not believe that you "don't protect the homefront anymore", in fact I think nothing could be farther from the truth. You may not be backstepping it anymore, but your knowledege, experience and yes even the opinons that you share here serve to help the next generation become better firemen and do the job well...and that IS without doubt, helping to protect the homefront. Thank you for that.

I'll not sidetrack your journal thread anymore, as I do respect the job you are doing there, and don't want to distract you from conveying what you believe is important for the members here to read. I'm sure you are well compensated for it, and you deserve it. The biggest problem I see here on the homefront is nobody seems to notice or care anymore that our troops and civilian support are still fighting/working in Afghanistan, still dying for our country, still making major sacrifices every day. To this point, I'm glad that we've debated a bit; maybe it stirred a few readers to think a little and not take for granted the fact that it is war, and you are working in a war-zone with tens of thousands of our fellow countrymen/women. I respect your point of view, and thank you for respecting mine.

Stay well.

Please do not take my comments the wrong way, you have not sidetracked this thread. You and all are free to comment here any way you choose. I simply decided that I will not debate here because for me this particular thread is not about being right or wrong...(a first LOL),... it is about my experiences here and how they have and do influence my views. If anyone has contrary views and wants to express them they are free to do so. If it comes down to it and I feel something posted here deserves a contrary response I will definitely give one, but by and large I think I will just relate what goes on and my views on that.

Again thank you for your service to the Country and with your department and for the sacrifices you have made. Disagreements or not I do appreciate and respect them.

Stay safe and yes thanks for all you do (and have done) on the homefront

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

Time for another installment of "Life in Afghanistan". In this episode we'll deal with what happens when it rains.

For anyone whose ever lived in the desert the phenomena of the flash flood is something you are all too aware of. Well here in Kandahar we are as prone to them as anywhere else like say Nevada or Arizona ect, which brings me to the other night. Wednesday was like most days here except that for the first time this year we had a significant amount of rain...well significant by the standards here anyway. Morning had some drizzle off and on which lasted a few hours with the sun popping it's head out for about hour here and there. About 1 pm it started to downpour. Now out here in November that means just what we would call a steady rain back home. This lasted a few hours with varying degrees of rainfall throughout, but never heavier than slow speed on the wipers on the rig. As this rain came to an end it was just about 6pm which for us at the South Station is dinner time. So we hop on the rig for the short drive to the DFAC with me fully expecting to indulge in some nice baked fish and potatoes, with a side salad of course. Alas, like so many crews around the world at dinnertime, enroute we get banged out for an AFA , this time in the Deep South portion of the camp. As we begin making our way south we notice that there are a series of large puddles in the roadway, which out here is not at all unusual when it rains. What was unusual though was that as we proceeded down the road the puddles turned into a flowing river of muddy water about a 6 inches deep. I thought this flowing water was coming from the wash rack assuming a pipe or water bladder had burst, except it didn't slow down...in fact it began to rage and increase in depth by about 1 or 2 inches per minute. As we approached a six spoked roundabout (we call it Malfunction Junction) to make the swing south we began to see alot of vehicles becoming stranded and the road was now completely submerged ahead of us. A quick look out the cab and jumpseat doors (I was backstepping it) and we figured we'd be alright as the water wasn't even near mid tire yet. So we make the left to head down to Deep South and the waiting AFA. As we came around the roundabout to bear left the road before us was becoming clogged on the left side....this because people were trying to go around all the stuck vehicles closer to the edge on that side of the road. Although the street is technically only two lane there is generally ample room to get by and this we started to do. We made it past 6 or 7 cars and pickups when up ahead we saw a large pile of debris floating right at us down the middle of the road. My driver gently turned the wheel to the right in an effort to go around it which he had plenty of clearence to do.....or so we thought. You see as I said the road was submerged under a maybe a foot of water and while not a problem to usually negotiate safely, today was turning out to be anything but usual. Did I meantion that along the sides of the majority of roads here there are drainage ditches about 4 feet deep. Well there are and there were on this road south. So as we edged right to avoid the debris we ended up very close to the edge of the road and the drainage ditch which because of the flooding was concealed under water. We proceeded maybe 15 feet and then slowly, ever so slowly the rig beagn to list right....yep we had gone too close to the edge and the road gave way and into the ditch we went.

See.............

post-16171-0-11324400-1321164343.jpg

post-16171-0-31353500-1321164378.jpg

The rig took on a pretty good list but thankfully no one got hurt. It was rather comical to see us all trying to get out of the rig on such an angle, especally the Officer who had to climb over the dog house to get out the driver's door. I managed to slip down inside the cab a couple of times myself while trying to retrieve some equiment and personal items....laughing the whole time I might add since it really was a comical scene.

So now here we are stranded in an ever increasing flood with our rig firmly ensconced in this ditch. The pics above are from about 3 minutes in and from there it only gets better. We radioed in and told dispatch of our dilema and ensured that the other engine took in the call (AFAs here get a single engine response). That done we drained our tank to lighten the rig and then had to just wait to get towed out. So while we waited the water began to rise..and rise...and rise and flow faster and faster and faster. MPs had by now blocked the road the way we had come, but some thought they could make it through only to end up off the road as well. I tried, using my usual colorful language, to turn people back, but they wouldn't listen. This comedy of errors only adding to our amusement at this point. Finally about a half hour later a wrecker showed up in what was now 3 feet of water, only to determine that he couldn't get the rig out...it was too wet...well Duh!!!

Now we had a choice, stay with the rig and do nothing except get soaked or walk back towards the station and get soaked. We choose the latter since no one was going to be able to get down there to pick us up anyway. Off we went wading through thigh high to waist high water. Progress was slow and with the water deeping we began to think that maybe we'd made the wrong choice and better head back the 1/2 mile to the knee high water back by the rig instead. Then like a shining beacon they appeared...lights...headlights. Much to our delight an MRAP (mine resistant ambush protected vehicle) was heading our way. As we approached this armored beauty the crew inside asked us if we wanted a lift...and as you can well imagine we readily accepted. Now this was a ride. High up out of the water and virtually unstoppable. We rode on the hood and roof directing the driver whse vision was limited by us and the humidity. Around we went to our station only to find it submerged and uninhabitable as well. Generously our new Army friends offered us a lift to our accomadation block which for all we knew was also swimming. Enroute we pulled out a few cars and trucks, another MRAP and picked up a few more stranded souls. After about 2 1/2 hours and a few near misses with wayward empty connexes we made it back to our block which mercifully was just outside the flood zone. After accepting a few packs of ciggs for their trouble our Saviors were on there way...off to rescue others still out there stranded. A quick shower helped to wash off the contaminated water..(lots of septic tanks and mechanical shops in the path of the flood waters)..and fatigue. After that there was one final ignominy...dinner. See, we had missed all the DFACs serving hours save one called Luxembourg. Now while they do there best, Lux is generally regarded as the worst of the worst DFACs here and in the true spirit of living up to it's reputation it did not disappoint on that front. The Turkey ala King I ate..if 3 bites constitues eating... had neither turkey in it nor was it fit for even the king of the damned..it was in a word appalling ...and the perfect end to the perfect evening.

Fast forward to yesterday. Engine 3 lies in the KBR workshop "drying out". We did go to pick it up yesterday evening only to find that it won't shift out of first gear...so back to the shop it went for a little more "work". Worse still...South Station is no more...my home that I had looked so forward to returning to after spending the better part of my first 3 months at the main station is condemned, a good 2 inches of fetid excrement and waste oil infested mud covering everything. Yes my sanctuary away from the politcs and BS of the main station is gone...along with a bit of the fun of being here. I'm sure some of you who prefer the smaller stations to the environments at HQs can relate. So now we wait..it is possible that as I sit in my room on my day off Engine 3 is back on the road, I'll find out tomorrow. To all the safety nazis out there, my driver did an excellent job under the circumstances as did the rest of the crew. In the end though we did learn one valuable lesson...stay to the middle of the road!!!

Hope all is well back home

Stay Safe

and thanks for all that you do protecting the homefront

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs
RescueKujo and billy98988 like this

Thanks for the laugh Cogs...it wasn't at you, it was with you....and it reminds me of an incident while stationed in the beautiful land of the morning calm, Korea...

It's December, and the wing decides to hold an operational exercise. As the first day starts, the base gets hit with the first snowfall of the year. The part of the wing I was assigned to was on a ROKAF base 20 miles north of the main base, so as we participate we're having to avoid the Koreans doing their normal day to day duties. And even though it is an Air Force base, the Korean Army does security. They use 6 wheel LAVs (Light Armored Vehicles) and while driving along the perimeter road one hits some ice and hits the brick perimeter wall, taking out about 75'. We're now stuck on the main side of the base due to the rig blocking the road, and can't respond to the bomb dump or even to our shops. They had to suspend the exercise due to it...

Stay safe and keep your head down over there...

Thanks for the laugh Cogs...it wasn't at you, it was with you....and it reminds me of an incident while stationed in the beautiful land of the morning calm, Korea...

It's December, and the wing decides to hold an operational exercise. As the first day starts, the base gets hit with the first snowfall of the year. The part of the wing I was assigned to was on a ROKAF base 20 miles north of the main base, so as we participate we're having to avoid the Koreans doing their normal day to day duties. And even though it is an Air Force base, the Korean Army does security. They use 6 wheel LAVs (Light Armored Vehicles) and while driving along the perimeter road one hits some ice and hits the brick perimeter wall, taking out about 75'. We're now stuck on the main side of the base due to the rig blocking the road, and can't respond to the bomb dump or even to our shops. They had to suspend the exercise due to it...

Stay safe and keep your head down over there...

I just thought I'd write a quick wrap-up now to my life here in Afghanistan for 2011 since it appears we will be undergoing internet adjustments for a few days or maybe a week and I will be out of touch.

So as you all lie nestled in your beds awaiting Santa let me start off by wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year!!

Well here it is, the end of 2011, the end of another year of work, fun, family, friends and fires. We have had our share of all of these things out here along with a few suprises to liven things up, just as I'm sure all of you have. For me 2011 has been a good year professionally overall in which I not only spread some knowledge but gained far more. I have had the opportunity to learn from firemen from all over the world including our newest additions from Kenya and Turkey. Tactics and terms may differ, but the one overriding lesson learned this year has been that firemen are firemen the world over. The drive to serve, to help those in need, knows no boundaries or borders and not even a war can suppress it. England, Canada, the Phillipines and India, South Africa and Namibia, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Turkey and Ecuador and yes the Good ole USA are all represented in our FD here at KAF and all of us carry with us that unique trait that calls us to be firemen. It is that common denominator that as overcome language barriers, cultural barriers and as it turns out tactical ones too. At first there were discussions on how to do this or that, more often than not met with nods, but not agreement...my way is better was the real view most of us held, which is only natural since that's what we know. But over time and in some cases alot of time it came to be that we developed the Kandahar way which in essence melded the experiences of everyone into a workable and more importantly a practical doctrine of how we do our job here. Not an easy task really but for the one universal fact we all shared...we are firemen and firemen deal with adversity and overcome it to accomplish the job of saving lives. That sentiment, that truth is as much a fact of life in the most remote Indian or Phillipino village as it is in New York or London or my hometown, Stamford, CT.

As I do every year at this time I use the Christmas season to reflect back on the year past and take stock. I have been fortunate in so may ways from my time here. Food on the table and a roof over my wife and children's heads. Experience in personnel management and incident command along with a host of new friends and professional connections. A better understanding of other cultures and people and the chance to learn about them. Travel and let's face it more sun than I ever wanted. These are just some of the gifts I have been fortunate enough to recieve this Christmas here in Kandahar, but even out here in this remore hell hole there is yet another gift I have recieved, and it has afforded me the ability to work on some issues from back home, and that is the gift of time. Our 24 hours on are filled with work, calls, training, gym, station duties and so on and on, but our 24 off are ours to do with as we please...inside the wire of course which is a bit like prison..LOL. But that time off has been well spent dealing all manner of personal, family and business issues as well as another EMTBravo topic's issues as well. Yes even 7000 miles way I'm still able to actively take part in helping to resolve Stamford's long standing fire service conundrum. The internet and skype have been invaluable in that work although the time difference can be a bit of a nuisance sometimes...especially if I forget I'm 9 1/2 hours ahead. But maybe the greatest gift of all I have gotten out here is to have been a part of history in the making and the time I have been able to spend working with and for the men and women of our military....truly priceless.

We have had many a sleepless night and some long hot days of incoming fire from the Talibastards and some injuries from those attacks, but mercifully as of today, Christmas Day 2011, at 1:11pm local time, no deaths on base. I have seen some grievous wounds working in the ER as a helping hand and watched many boys go home in flag draped caskets, but this is a war and a brutal one at that, and that is a part of war. As 2011 winds down I find myself wondering if this is all worth it. I guess I'm a hawk in that yes, in the end I believe it is. But I am not alone in that belief by any means. Most of the soldiers, sailors and airmen I work for and with out here share that sentiment and this I know because almost all conversations end up relating back to what brought us all together and why we are here in the first place. We may not go outside the wire but the world outside of it is always present here, like a black cloud that will not lift and the effects of this war we see and feel everyday at some point. So to my towel headed friends outside the wire I would just like to pass along a couple of heartfelt words to sum up our feelings for them as we ring out 2011....F*&K YOU!!!!!

Looking back and refelecting on the year and the season, I'm drawn to think of the closing lyrics of my favorite Christmas song since I first heard it in 1975...

"I wish you a hopeful Christmas

I wish you a brave New Year

All anguish pain and sadness

leave your heart and let your road be clear

They said there'd be snow at Christmas

They said there'd be peace on Earth

Alleliuah Noel

be it Heaven or Hell

the Christmas we get we deserve"

I've been fortunate and all things considered I've been handed a good Christmas and the one I think my family and I deserve, I hope you all have too.

Thanks for all you do in protecting the homefront, especially my Belltown Boys "A t W" since 1928

And to all

Take care

Stay Safe

and

God Bless

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !!!!!

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs
helicopper, Monty and billy98988 like this

Merry Christmas Cogs....and nice lyrics from I Believe in Father Christmas

Since this made the papers security has been verified.

Not trying to sensationalize what we do here but this article is just a reminder for those that might be interested in coming over that this is a war zone and we are never too far from the violence.

KABUL, Afghanistan — At least 20 people have been killed in suicide attacks in southern Afghanistan, authorities said Thursday, including seven civilians who died when a bomber blew himself up near an airport used by the U.S.-led coalition.

The attack near the entrance to the airfield in Kandahar — Afghanistan's second-largest city and the traditional heartland of the Taliban insurgency — occurred Thursday afternoon when a suicide bomber detonated a white Toyota Corolla, said Zalmai Ayubi, a spokesman for the provincial governor. Two children were among the dead, authorities said.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement on its website. The insurgents said the target was a convoy of foreign nationals who were leaving the airfield, which is one of the largest bases used by the NATO coalition. Many civilians use the busy entrance as well, however.

An additional eight civilians, including a woman and two children, were reported wounded. The explosion destroyed four civilian vehicles and two fuel tankers, Ayubi said, but it couldn't be determined whether the tankers belonged to NATO forces.

The picture below was taken shortly after the blast and we are working in the area behind the two soldiers in the background (as indicated by the black arrow I've added to the pic [pardon it's crudeness]). As you can imagine the scene was gruesome with body parts and shredded and burned vehicles strewn a good distance from the epicenter. While we try to be professional,...and well dispassionate, in doing our duty out here I have to admit that for all of us there this particular scene was also extremely infuriating. What kind of degenerate animals target kids?

The wounded were in rough shape and included 2 more children, but thankfully our quick response got them to the staff at Role 3 (the base trauma hospital) who worked their magic and all will survive.

Here's a pic from a Canadian newspaper and it's caption:

A U.S. soldier keeps watch at the site of an explosion in Kandahar Jan. 19. A suicide bomber killed seven civilians, including two children, and wounded eight in an attack on the main gate of the Kandahar Air Field used by international and Afghan troops in southern Afghanistan, Kandahar governor's spokesman Zalmai Ayobi said.

Photograph by: AHMAD NADEEM, REUTERS

post-16171-0-76996100-1327394420.jpg

Edited by FFPCogs

Came across this story this morning. I think this article puts things back into perspective for those on the homefront. RIP to these dedicated American soldiers

http://news.yahoo.com/brother-ohio-s...104658229.html

I just want to reinforce this passage as sometimes it seems as if it's forgotten as those at home get caught up in their daily lives

"Americans going on with their day-to-day lives shouldn't forget the troops, Alex Rozanski said.

"We are a nation at war, and men are dying on a regular basis over there," he said. "And people need to remember that."

Edited by FFPCogs
sueg likes this

Just spent good part of almost two hours reading from the first post on. I never forget why our troops are there, and that they are there, and fully support their mission and their efforts to try to eradicate a threat that should never be supported by the people there, but is because, as you mentioned in an earlier post, they have nothing else to fall back on, and without our support they would have no other option but to fall under their rule. Our men and women are working hard to try to give them independence of thought and action, to see there are other means and ways to live their lives rather than as mindless followers of whomever walks in and threatens them into submission, to educate their people, and to help them work together instead of as isolated tribes to make the fledgling thought of democracy and freedom work - it just is harder because many do not have exposure outside their daily form of life, and the only news they get is the Al-Jazeerah and hard-line Islamist bull crap on the radio, so that is what they believe. I have long truly believed that, if the US led the coalition rather than NATO all those earlier years, things would be so very much better and safer in Afghanistan - look how fast (in military/non-civilian day-counting version) progress was made in Iraq once the troops were finally allowed to do the surge with the extra personnel and equipment they had been asking for, but that had been argued against by the people who could approve of it (including a former Illinois Senator now-turned-Commander-In-Chief who finally changed his mind when he really looked at the facts).

Do I and many others believe Pakistan should be turned into a napalm pit? At this point, yes. India has been dealing with them training people to fight their troops in Kashmir since that was separated from India, we know they have been supplying, hiding and providing the foul killers from their safety of their borders, because Pakistan has no control over its vast northern part that breeds these maggots and never will, because it is too fractured and corrupt to even try.

What I have always questioned is this: Is anything being done at all, in any way shape or fashion, to stem the flow of weapons from the money grubbing Chinese and Russians, and sometimes the French (the last two of which built Saddam's 26 palaces after the first Gulf War and provided his stockpiled weaponry with the money the UN was giving to feed his people) into Pakistan, which then gets to Iraq, Afghanistan, Africa, Morocco, Indonesia, etc.? ANYTHING??? Stop the flow of weapons, and they have nothing to use to intimidate the population, which amazingly has had instances of revolting and killing the Taliban creeps when enough of their innocents get killed. Unfortunately, not often enough, because of that news flow issue.

Enough from me. Thank you for going to work over there in support of our troops, and my thoughts and prayers are with all of you doing their part to try to make a dent in ignorance and destructive actions both there and here - it seems like we only make little dents as individuals, but hopefully some day that wall will fall and people will open their eyes and see this is really a tiny world and we really should start working together to avoid self-destruction. Or something like that. Take care, and be safe.

FFPCogs likes this