Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ONEEYEDMIC

Shootings reported near DC firefighter patrols

10 posts in this topic

PoliceOne.com

WASHINGTON, D.C. — At least three people were injured in four shootings in the District over a 24-hour period Sunday and Monday, according to fire and police officials.

Two locations that officials responded to for reports of shootings were just blocks from corners where D.C. firefighters have been stationed as crime deterrents. In one instance, a firetruck was on its way to a post when the call about the shooting went out, and in the other instance, firefighters were not assigned to the post at the time of the reported shooting, a fire union official said.

I could certainly be wrong, but I really don't see this idea as a "Trend Setter". A shooting, stabbing, or street fight can happen anywhere. The Fire dept or any other organization for that matter, can't be on EVERY Street Corner at the same time. This is an example of what could happen.

Several years ago I was in D.C. in one of their tougher more crime ridden areas. The McDonalds there was also used as a small police sub station and served that community. A police officer was stationed there and of course there was the usual police officers assigned there. It had a rest room, locker room, and small office. I thought that was a pretty good idea. I don't know if it still works that way or not. But putting firefighters on street corners to deter crime, may not be the way to go.

Call me crazy and being I used to live there I know the crime problem in DC and Fairfax very well...why are firefighters being used as crime deterrents? if something violent goes down what are they going to do but call for help or be victims themselves?

BFD1054, tglass59 and abaduck like this

Almost all police departments have civilian employees. Many of these unarmed workers are out on the street (ticket writers, community service agents ect). When I was a police supervisor, I advised them that should you come accross a situation were police action was required, they should observe and report. If the incident becomes dangerious then move out of the danger area and continue to observe and update the police responders if safe to do so. I hope that the fire fighters were given the same instructions.Just remember, Nomex is not the same as Kevlar.

Don't forget the two NYPD Auxiliary members that were shot in Greenwich Village 4 years ago after a shooter saw them following him from the scene of his first shooting. He chased them down and murdered them. As much as uniforms are a deterrent they can also become a target to someone deranged or desperate enough.

x129K likes this

Don't forget the two NYPD Auxiliary members that were shot in Greenwich Village 4 years ago after a shooter saw them following him from the scene of his first shooting. He chased them down and murdered them. As much as uniforms are a deterrent they can also become a target to someone deranged or desperate enough.

Great point. I lived in the city for several years... I was in the process of applying to join this unit, abandoned that due to wife's pregnancy, we knew when baby arrived we would be moving out of the city so no point in joining for just a few months.

I was always rather dubious about the idea of someone putting on any kind of LE uniform, without having the gun to back it up, so to speak. I wonder if the murderer in the above case even knew they were unarmed cops.

What do the LEOs here feel about this?

Mike

Great point. I lived in the city for several years... I was in the process of applying to join this unit, abandoned that due to wife's pregnancy, we knew when baby arrived we would be moving out of the city so no point in joining for just a few months.

I was always rather dubious about the idea of someone putting on any kind of LE uniform, without having the gun to back it up, so to speak. I wonder if the murderer in the above case even knew they were unarmed cops.

What do the LEOs here feel about this?

Mike

I think it is a bad idea. How do the firefighter protect themselves? Water can? Deck gun? Firefighters put fires out, not deter crime. Thats what the cops are for. I wonder what stance thier unions have taken?

Also one reason why I am against EMS wearing uniforms modelled after police ESU uniforms!

27east likes this

Brother...sometimes I wonder if some of my colleagues forget that kevlar is also not nomex..lol.

Bnechis and x129K like this

Especially the ones that make the big decisions, seeing how they came up wearing cotton duck and rubber!