Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Hurst Cordless Rescue Tools - "The eDRAULIC"

16 posts in this topic

Do any department have these? It seams that they are fairly new. Any Pros? Cons? Feel free to discuss...

post-17100-0-33681000-1312419636.jpg

post-17100-0-08134800-1312420037.jpg

Photos courtesy of Hurst Jaws of Life

Hurst Jaws of Life

Firematic is a dealer and has more info Here.

Edited by firedude

Never seen them myself, but a very good freind and career FF who is ALL ABOUT rescue/rextrication played with a set and said he was VERY impressed with them.

I'm trying to set up a demo, if I do, I'll share our findings.

I believe North White Plains FD might of purchased them, not 100% sure.

Had an opportunity to use them briefly while we were getting a demo of the high pressure tools. Really liked them, didn't feel like I was losing much force. Almost identical in size to the hydraulic models. Seems to hold a charge for more than a few cuts. Looking to add one next year, but theyre expensive.

Croton Command, let me know when Stateline comes for the demo... I'll break out the map and take a ride.

JBJ

Remember585 likes this

Ditto, I have read all about them and would kill to replace our "electric power hawk" system with them....

we have a set in our USAR cache - used them in training a few times very impressive - also 110V adapter available to convert if necessary.

We have an old Holmatro electric combi. Works OK but the spreaders are small. We tried to sell it and were told it has 0 value. I guess the electric tools have come a long way.

Remember585, it took us long enough to get a new engine, we will probably have new extrication tools by 2100. Still carrying all Lukas equipment on our rescue with a portable generator for extrications. If I do hear something I will let you know.

We have an old Holmatro electric combi. Works OK but the spreaders are small. We tried to sell it and were told it has 0 value. I guess the electric tools have come a long way.

I worked with a set called "Kinman" electric tools when I first joined. They were huge, heavy, bulky and hard to use. They were in a carry box with a 12V battery in it and a set of jumper cables. When the battery ran out (fairly quickly, one or two cuts) you could attach the cables to any 12V battery and run off it. Didnt have a lot of power but was "somewhat" portable if you had 2 guys with no back problems and a few extra 12V batteries in your turnouts.

I would love to see these in a demo, how long do they last on a charge? Do they have the same power as hydraulics? Interesting.

Here is a link I just found, probably will show how old I am but wanted everyone to see what they looked like! :P

Kinman Rescue

Edited by firemoose827

I'm not a great Fan of Hurst, but i do try all tools before i comment. The unit's have great power for a battery operated tool. Tool weight is good. The cutter blades could be better if designed for deeper cuts. Spreader arms were short for techniques i generally would use. Most of all is the annoying thumb operation which in general is a Hurst trade mark. Beware of the batteries? Better have back up's for extended operation, especially if not charged properly. OVERALL a good unit. Think wisely?

I wouldnt want them to be the only tool in my shed.If they work as good as some are saying id love to have them on the rig.From what ive noticed every battery powered tool we have(sawzalls,rebar cutter etc.)seems to be tossed aside everytime fore the electric ones,they just seem to get the job done faster and better. Im sure they have thier uses but i wouldnt rely on them.

x129K likes this

even comes with a built-in light!

Edited by firedude

I wonder how they would do against ultra high strength steel, and other such high strength materials that are now being utilized in the posts of cars. A lot of the tools we use for extrication have trouble cutting through those materials, and if the electric tools prove to have less power than the hydraulic tools I could see that being a real issue in the future .

I have not used these tools yet so I should nor be commenting but...

Depending on how well they cut high strength steel and how much you can do on a single charge, I would see these as being the most useful for pin jobs that you can not get close to the vehicle than for anything else. If a department does a lot of pin job with the car being well off the road and into the woods or in a ravine, etc, these tools could be a great asset. But for the department that primarily get parkway pin jobs and park the rig as close to the vehicle as is safe, might as well stick with what works and never loses power.

I'm looking forward to hopefully trying these and hearing more peoples feedback.

Extrication tools also have valuable uses besides mvas where the rig might not be able to go... Having a good portable set is definitely a great idea. Plus that guy Murphy is always around and on board systems can fail

I have no personal experience with them, but a neighboring town of mine has them on a unit. I know one of the members was able to cut through the hinges themselves on a school bus door.