Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dinosaur

Verizon Strike - Local Impact

44 posts in this topic

I saw only one post in an unrelated thread about the Verizon strike and the delay in scheduling a repair appointment. Are there any emergency service related impacts that this strike will have?

I heard from a couple of Verizon guys during their lunch break from the picket lines that the company is bringing in 20,000 non-union workers from other states to fill in for the striking workers. According to these guys, Verizon netted about 6 BILLION in PROFIT last year and their CEO's made over a quarter BILLION dollars in salaries and bonuses just last year but they're trying to send almost 10,000 jobs overseas to save money.

Sounds like union busting to me and they won't even negotiate with the unions.

tglass59 likes this

We kind of knew this was coming- Vz is not a local or state government that is going bankrupt and they have been immune from the economic downturn- but they see an opportunity here to bust the union-If the strike becomes prolonged, service will suffer- for legacy copper phone lines and FIOS- but don't forget- The wireless side of the business depends on a landline backbone to move all of that cellular traffic- so that could begin to suffer too. As far the scab workers coming in, besides the inferior quality of work most of them do, there is a bit of a national security issue here too- many of these people will have access to our central offices and other sensitive areas- not good

"the company is bringing in 20,000 non-union workers from other states to fill in for the striking workers." I am glad the nonunion workers are getting work. Unemployment is over 9% they should be happy they have a job.

"the company is bringing in 20,000 non-union workers from other states to fill in for the striking workers." I am glad the nonunion workers are getting work. Unemployment is over 9% they should be happy they have a job.

So in essence your saying that you support inferior Scab labor to trained local Union workers?

x129K likes this

So you think that it is ok if you go on strike for somebody to take your job so that the city wouldn't have to negotiate a fair contract as long s someone is doing your job you need to get you head out of you know where. The company came in wanting to cut back everything th eunion ever fought for night differential vacation time sick time pay raise medical sending union work to contractors everything that the union fought for and members went on strike for for over 50 years remember everything that was gained there was a give back to get what they have this company is making billions of dollars teh new CEO who took over just before the strike is making 21 million dollars yes we have great benefits and great pay but the company is making money because of our labor this strike is for the whole middle class somebody has to stay stop to big businesses and greedy corporations these scabs are taking away peoples lively hood how would you like it if you couldnt support your wife and kids

JunebugKFD257 and dadbo46 like this

How about since the Union workers are now out of work thats 45,000 workers pretty much in a way unemployed. Maybe my math is a little fuzzy but more people are now unemployed even with the non union workers now working. Correct me if I am wrong someone but his statement doesn't make much sense.

I am glad the nonunion workers are getting work. Unemployment is over 9% they should be happy they have a job.
Verizon netted about 6 BILLION in PROFIT last year but they're trying to send almost 10,000 jobs overseas to save money.

NYCmedic can you explain how a company making a huge annual profit wants to eliminate 10,000 jobs and you think that all the employees, including those 10,000 employees should be happy they have a job.

If your employeer declared that they do not need to cut costs but want to eliminate jobs so they can make a larger profit you would be ok with a large layoff, meaning either you loss your job or your co-workers loss it. And if you do not lose it, you will be asked to work harder because we know you can do more with less.

JunebugKFD257 likes this

So in essence your saying that you support inferior Scab labor to trained local Union workers?

Why would the assumption be that that these individuals work would be inferior? and, 'scab' is a union reference meant to inflame the situation by demeaning the replacement workers. Don't complain about the business practices or compensation of Verizon executives if you are just a service subscriber. Its none of your business what they are paid and their business strategies, including moving jobs off shore are meant to benefit the bottom line of the company and its stockholders. If your a Verizon stockholder and are unhappy with the companies performance or practives, then you have a right to complain. Verizon execs are not accountable to anyone other than its stockholders for its' practices or performance.

Start complaining to your Congressional representatives to change the laws and regulations that make it so inviting to send the jobs off shore rather than keeping them here. The corporate execs are going to do whatever makes the company the most money, thereby enriching themselves in the process. If they could do that as easily in this country as foreign countries, they would. It really is that simple, Let them make as much money here and we all benefit.

Congress (all of them, not just Democrats, not just Republicans) doesn't 'get it'. And it they don't 'get it', we won't get it either.

99subi likes this

So you think that it is ok if you go on strike for somebody to take your job so that the city wouldn't have to negotiate a fair contract as long s someone is doing your job you need to get you head out of you know where. The company came in wanting to cut back everything th eunion ever fought for night differential vacation time sick time pay raise medical sending union work to contractors everything that the union fought for and members went on strike for for over 50 years remember everything that was gained there was a give back to get what they have this company is making billions of dollars teh new CEO who took over just before the strike is making 21 million dollars yes we have great benefits and great pay but the company is making money because of our labor this strike is for the whole middle class somebody has to stay stop to big businesses and greedy corporations these scabs are taking away peoples lively hood how would you like it if you couldnt support your wife and kids

The scabs are not taking away your lively hood. You are doing that by yourself choosing not to work. How are you supporting your wife and kids if you are not working? If you were working you would not have to worry about this. Verizon workers lost all of my support when they stopped negotiating in good faith. Such as cutting lines and damaging network equipment. I hate to break it to you land lines are a dying breed. I know very few people who still have a land line. This is the cellular / wireless age. The writing is on the wall. It is time to start looking for another career.

Alpinerunner and 99subi like this

EXACTLY!!! My Wife has busted her a** for 22 years for them, and for others as a member of her local's executive board. Despite the billions and billions of dollars in profit that this company has made, they still want to bust the union by taking away everything that 50 years of negotiating has brought them. I don't give a damn about Copper vs. Wireless. Everything is copper until you get to the tower.

VERIZON is demanding the weakening of health-care benefits, cuts in pensions, reduced job security, and elimination of paid holidays such as Martin Luther King, Jr. Day AND Veterans Day. This despite the fact that the company reported billions in profit last year, and the top five executives are making almost 258M/year including compensation bonuses and stock options. AND to boot, the company doesn't pay any taxes. Enough is enough.

How about since the Union workers are now out of work thats 45,000 workers pretty much in a way unemployed. Maybe my math is a little fuzzy but more people are now unemployed even with the non union workers now working. Correct me if I am wrong someone but his statement doesn't make much sense.

The union members are the ones who choose not to work. The did not get fired or laid off. If I was unemployed and looking to feed my family I would jump on the first job I can get. Even with all of the give backs.

99subi likes this

NYCmedic can you explain how a company making a huge annual profit wants to eliminate 10,000 jobs and you think that all the employees, including those 10,000 employees should be happy they have a job.

If your employeer declared that they do not need to cut costs but want to eliminate jobs so they can make a larger profit you would be ok with a large layoff, meaning either you loss your job or your co-workers loss it. And if you do not lose it, you will be asked to work harder because we know you can do more with less.

So you think they company should pay people to take care of a service that is becoming nonexistent? If that is the case then where are all of the switch board operators?

EXACTLY!!! My Wife has busted her a** for 22 years for them, and for others as a member of her local's executive board. Despite the billions and billions of dollars in profit that this company has made, they still want to bust the union by taking away everything that 50 years of negotiating has brought them. I don't give a damn about Copper vs. Wireless. Everything is copper until you get to the tower.

VERIZON is demanding the weakening of health-care benefits, cuts in pensions, reduced job security, and elimination of paid holidays such as Martin Luther King, Jr. Day AND Veterans Day. This despite the fact that the company reported billions in profit last year, and the top five executives are making almost 258M/year including compensation bonuses and stock options. AND to boot, the company doesn't pay any taxes. Enough is enough.

How much do you pay towards your pension? How much do you pay towards your healthcare? If you pay nothing towards any of these benefits then you have nothing to complain about. Maybe you should work in a nonunion shop and see what the real world is like. Job security should be reduced. If you do not know what you are doing then you should not have a job. Same goes if you are a screw up who does not do the right thing. This is where the unions fail. Instead of cutting out the dead weight, they protect these workers and make sure they have a job.

99subi and calhobs like this

How much do you pay towards your pension? How much do you pay towards your healthcare? If you pay nothing towards any of these benefits then you have nothing to complain about. Maybe you should work in a nonunion shop and see what the real world is like. Job security should be reduced. If you do not know what you are doing then you should not have a job. Same goes if you are a screw up who does not do the right thing. This is where the unions fail. Instead of cutting out the dead weight, they protect these workers and make sure they have a job.

Gotta agree with you on the "Job Security" issue. Nothing pisses me off more then the Unions backing the skells on the Job that $uck up over and over and you can't fire them cause they have rights.

99subi likes this

Gotta agree with you on the "Job Security" issue. Nothing pisses me off more then the Unions backing the skells on the Job that $uck up over and over and you can't fire them cause they have rights.

This is the problem with unions. They have to evolve to where they have the best employees and are willing to get rid of the dead weight. When you have a job where you know you it is almost impossible to lose your job you will not give it your 100% and will not always do the right thing. Where as if you know that you can lose your job if your do not to do the right thing and/or do not know what you are doing, then you are going to bust your rear end to learn the job, and to always do the right thing. Nothing pisses me off more then looking at the screw ups on my job and knowing the only reason they still have a job is because of the union.

The union members are the ones who choose not to work. The did not get fired or laid off. If I was unemployed and looking to feed my family I would jump on the first job I can get. Even with all of the give backs.

Does that include the 10,000 employees who's jobs are being eliminated? Thats more than 25% of the work force will be laid off.

So you think they company should pay people to take care of a service that is becoming nonexistent?

As one of the large cell service providers, I do not see these jobs as becoming "nonexesting". They also are a major provider of "hardwired" internet, phone and TV service. They are not "eliminating" the jobs, they are move them offshore.

BTW, All "wireless" service in NY is supported by hardwire, without maintaining that network, there will be no wireless service.

PEMO3 likes this

Are these Verizon workers from other parts of the country that do not have union shops or are they out side contractors? If they are Verizon workers wouldn't they be all trained to the same standard as the local Verizon workers who are union or does the union provide training above and beyond what Verizon does? If they are trained the same how can you say it's inferior work???

I don't blame these workers, they are only doing an assignment they are detailed to. I do blame the upper management for not negotiating and if the numbers in a previous post are accurate the C.E.O. for making the money he does on the backs of workers that are doing in my opinion a great job. Any time I have a problem with my Fios (which is very rare) someone either on the phone or in the field has been able to fix it correctly and quickly.

Alpinerunner likes this

The scabs are not taking away your lively hood. You are doing that by yourself choosing not to work. How are you supporting your wife and kids if you are not working? If you were working you would not have to worry about this. Verizon workers lost all of my support when they stopped negotiating in good faith. Such as cutting lines and damaging network equipment. I hate to break it to you land lines are a dying breed. I know very few people who still have a land line. This is the cellular / wireless age. The writing is on the wall. It is time to start looking for another career.

Maybe you didn't read my post. First of all, as proud Union workers, WE DO NOT CROSS PICKET LINES. Second of all, it's the company that decided to take the entire contract and gut it from page to page. It's Verizon who does not come to the table to bargain in good faith, not CWA or IBEW. Cell towers get all of their data from Copper lines; and somebody has to maintain them.

helicopper likes this

Why would the assumption be that that these individuals work would be inferior? and, 'scab' is a union reference meant to inflame the situation by demeaning the replacement workers. Don't complain about the business practices or compensation of Verizon executives if you are just a service subscriber. Its none of your business what they are paid and their business strategies, including moving jobs off shore are meant to benefit the bottom line of the company and its stockholders. If your a Verizon stockholder and are unhappy with the companies performance or practives, then you have a right to complain. Verizon execs are not accountable to anyone other than its stockholders for its' practices or performance.

Start complaining to your Congressional representatives to change the laws and regulations that make it so inviting to send the jobs off shore rather than keeping them here. The corporate execs are going to do whatever makes the company the most money, thereby enriching themselves in the process. If they could do that as easily in this country as foreign countries, they would. It really is that simple, Let them make as much money here and we all benefit.

Congress (all of them, not just Democrats, not just Republicans) doesn't 'get it'. And it they don't 'get it', we won't get it either.

CWA and IBEW members receive extra training that was negotiated, that the non-union employees do not have the benefit of. Also it should be everyones business how these exectives get generously compensated, but yet tell their employees that there is no money... Didn't all of these Wall St. Execs pull the same stunt 2 years ago?

The attack on labor unions in this country continues, whether you are Private or Public sector.

Imagine going into the hospital to have open heart surgery only to find out that your doctor, while licensed to perform open heart surgery, hasn't picked up a scalpel in over 20 years? How would you feel? do you think that you'd be getting the best treatment?

Funny thing is with the Verizon Executives, they all have personal service agreements (AKA labor contracts) to protect their financial interests, but yet they don't feel the rank-and-file workers need one. Whats wrong with that picture?? They further come off as hypocrites when they opine that they are losing money, when they are paying a dozen of so of their top executives $55k per day while nickel and diming their workers over pay and medical benefits; they paint a horrible picture about the union, claiming that it is dragging down the company but what they fail to tell you is that they get a percentage bonus for all the monies they save the company and that includes employees being laid off and cuts in benefits and pay. But I guess Verizon forgot to let the media know that; it must have been an honest slip up on their part.

The labor laws in this country need to be strengthened, not just in language, but in penalty as well. Right now employers (both Private and public sectors) get a slap on the wrist if they violate labor laws, whether intentional or unintentional; Labor laws need to have some "teeth" to them so their is criminal as well as civil penalties. Only then will the playing field between labor and management be level.

It might be a good idea for this website to have a page for labor news and issues, so all of us who are in labor unions can have a better idea of whats going on in labor in general and not just among our individual unions so we can exchange dialogue

Just my 2 cents as a life long labor activist.

Edited by gamewell45
JunebugKFD257 likes this

It amazes me how little people understand about these issues. In Verizon's case they have a fairly easy time of cutting their work force. They can lay off workers any time they need to. This fight is about a wholesale gutting of worker benefits because the wired segment of Verizon is not as profitable. Rather than transfer the cost burden of maintaining the wired assets to the divisions that use them they insist on trying to keep the wired division profitable as landlines become an increasingly unpopular option. They're playing with the numbers by lumping their poorer performing assets under one label and blaming labor costs for their losses. How can the union bargain with that?

I love how the EMS members are first to jump down the throats of the unions. That is why we are so far behind Fire, PD, and Nursing as a career.

x129K and Bnechis like this

Yes service at some point will be affected. If nothing else - the customer experience will suffer to some extent. I think that BOTH sides have to come to the table and also come to reality on a few things. The old 1 or 2 jobs a day stereo type, fix one break one, etc--this must stop - and if it is not true - make that known. A good portion of hard working middle class employees all over the country pay in to their health care. It is not like they make minimum wage so maybe they can give a little there. They have a great delivery platform in FiOS. Any corporation is greedy to some point. They are not in it to "be nice people". They are in it to make money - plain and simple. The union is very quick to publicize their points on what they want and so on. Have we heard from the other side yet?

There are people that went from making $100k+ a year plus benefits that lost their jobs and are now making half their salary with no benefits - and they still COME TO WORK. Glad to have the opportunity to make some kind of money.

Striking hurts the customers sometimes more than the company. But when the customers are unhappy, they leave and find other choices. When they do, the company suffers, and then the employees suffer (and they may need less of them).

I am by no means taking sides here. Just illustrating some of MY thoughts.sincerelyrily hope that no one gets hurt because of or at the walkout (that includes those that may not have a phone due to a delay in repair times and cannot call for assistance)

x635 likes this

as a proud retired member of cwalocal 1103 here in westchester i would like to remind everyone that 22years ago we went thru a nasty 18 week strike over these same issues two of my union brothers died on there respective picket line one from a heart attack and one who was stuck down by a scab and killed hopefully verizon wont kill anymore us for you people who know nothing about contractors they are blood suckers and do shoddy work they take there money and run in closing i would like to thanks the many other who have supported our picket lines together i know we will keep the middle class and get rid of the rich pigs who want to take it away

David. You have my support!! And the day that happened was 22 years ago today right?

David. You have my support!! And the day that happened was 22 years ago today right?

yes today we celebrated gerry.s passing on the exact spot were he was killed 1015am stevens ave&columbus ave rest in peace gerry

yes today we celebrated gerry.s passing on the exact spot were he was killed 1015am stevens ave&columbus ave rest in peace gerry

I hope you wore red today in Honor of Gerry and for everyones information he was deputy chief in Rockland County at the time of his passing I believe every Aug 15th is a sad day but today more so since we are on strike again on his anniversary

It was a tragic accident. May Gerry Rest In Peace.

I had read they are bringing employees from other areas (Non-Union areas)in to work - I guess they will be called scabs too. I still fail to undertand why someone has to be in a union to know how to do a job or have any skill. This is an insult to those not in unions that are skilled workers of the middle class.

Maybe you didn't read my post. First of all, as proud Union workers, WE DO NOT CROSS PICKET LINES.

Does this mean that IAFF firefighters wouldn't cross a Verizon picket line if one of the Verizon buildings were on fire?

Maybe you didn't read my post. First of all, as proud Union workers, WE DO NOT CROSS PICKET LINES.

If you were in a job that was unionized and you were a proud member of that union, your boss said to go do a job which meant crossing a picket line what would you do. The politically correct union answer in NO you wouldn't cross the picket line. Now your boss says if you don't do the job you were assigned to do you would not have a job what would your answer be??????