Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
msm232

Scott Introduces New SCBA!

23 posts in this topic

great new technology for the fire service.

It took 30 years for the connections of the tank to the mask to be universal and they do this?!

lighter weight lower profile great new tech for the fire service.

Since the existing 4.5 packs sell for over $5,000 each, I dont think too many of us will see these in depts. anytime soon.

Interesting biz. In 8 years the price went up 40%+. The NFPA standard, kept push the pack weight up with safety features which drove the cost up. Now they are to heavy so we can replace them with new ones.

M' Ave likes this

Since the existing 4.5 packs sell for over $5,000 each, I dont think too many of us will see these in depts. anytime soon.

Interesting biz. In 8 years the price went up 40%+. The NFPA standard, kept push the pack weight up with safety features which drove the cost up. Now they are to heavy so we can replace them with new ones.

From what I understand on FE the bottles integrate with existing harnesses. I am curious to see what matches up to what but that is what I read on FE. I just priced 4.5 bottles at way less than 1k a piece.

Seems like the same product with a new name. I am all for lighting up the load but adding an additional 1000 psi to the bottle would seem like something that should have been done a long time ago and they should be reducing the other components of the pack with new metals and such. I mean he talks about a 30 minute tanks and all but what is the real weight difference? I mean spending more money for a new pack that is saving a few pounds is kinda dumb. The packs have some many bells and whistles now that they can cut the weight of the tanks but then it makes it all back with new features. Maybe it is just me but my 4.5 seems to get the job done. Has a PASS alarm, a low air bell, and a face mask for me to breath through. I remember seeing something about a more low profile pack a while back. was like a thin back pack. that is the way they should be going. Cut weight and profile.

Amen! Glad some can see through the smokescreen.

I love SCOTT AirPaks, really would not want to wear anything else, but when is enough, enough?

I cut my teeth on the 2a...we were one of the last departments to switch over to 2.2's...and I can tell you that pack, with the steel bottle, was lighter than a 4.5 I recently wore, equipped with buddy breather, pak tracker, and all the other bells and whistles....

I honestly prefer the 4.5's with the wire frame...I'll take my chances without the other "stuff".

bigrig77 likes this

Seems like the same product with a new name. I am all for lighting up the load but adding an additional 1000 psi to the bottle would seem like something that should have been done a long time ago and they should be reducing the other components of the pack with new metals and such

I can't hear the video on my computer currently. The new packs will be filled to 5500 psi? If so, how many compressors (that are on a push button, automatic 4500 psi fill) are going to have to be scrapped and new ones purchased to be able to fill to this level?

I honestly prefer the 4.5's with the wire frame...I'll take my chances without the other "stuff".

The best combination was about 15 (give or take) years ago when you could get a wire framed pak with a carbon composite 4.5... no options just a pass alarm... That was the lightest pak I've ever worn and like you I've been through 2200's with steel bottles and survivair's with similar sized 2200 bottles all the way up to the current dumbbell that is out there.

16fire5 and x129K like this

I remember seeing something about a more low profile pack a while back. was like a thin back pack. that is the way they should be going. Cut weight and profile.

I agree. This 5.5 seems like a small improvement. I'm waiting for the flexible, lo-pro airpacks. Those look revolutionary.

Along with the price increase and weight increase the durability has gone down in my opinion. Pre integrated PASS 4.5 with 30 minute bottle was my favorite.

The best combination was about 15 (give or take) years ago when you could get a wire framed pak with a carbon composite 4.5... no options just a pass alarm... That was the lightest pak I've ever worn and like you I've been through 2200's with steel bottles and survivair's with similar sized 2200 bottles all the way up to the current dumbbell that is out there.

We still are running a few like this. All our bottles are CF, but maybe 10-15% of the SCBA still are wire frame jobs, kept alive by our Scott techs. Most of the guys can't understand why we have them, but some of us have done all we can to keep them.

16fire5, M' Ave and x129K like this

I'm with you, the wire frame is great. It's tough and simple and that's all we've got. They've added a larger remote gauge recently and that PACtracker thing (which is in a terrible spot and took some getting used to). That new Scott mask seems to not add enough in the way of improvements and I can't even imagine the cost to replace all cylinders so they work with that quick connection. By they way, how well will that work with a little debris in it?

Edited by M' Ave

This is very similar to 3000 psi SCBA which very few people use or are even aware of.

I LOVE TR54's "ad", lol.

They do have to compete with other brands that they are losing some market share to due to marketing. But Scott Packs are the standard, and having gotten the chance to see them at a trade show, I was impressed.

There are a lot of brands that different departments use. Scott is the original, and developed specifically for firefighting operations. Other brands also market to industrial uses, and haven't done as much R&D on their packs.

Also, when shopping for airpacks, remember to shop local and never buy from a dealer via mail order. Local distributors, like AAA Equipment in North White Plains or MES in Dutchess County, would be glad to give any department a demonstration and let firefighters try it out, and if you purchase from them, they will also do a class on the pack. They are also a one-stop shop, and can also offer station or mobile air compressors, and just about every firefighting accesory you can think of.

Check out their site for more details:

http://www.aaaemergency.com/

I'm still waiting for the day when they include thermal imaging into the mask.

I'm still waiting for the day when they include thermal imaging into the mask.

That would be neat. I DO like SCOTT's tiny little handheld TIC...that is a nice little unit.

Oh...and I like shopping at MES in LaGrange myself.. :P

I really hate to be the "negative Nancy" here, and I know I'm going to get flak for this, but someone's got to say it:

I do agree with everyone that this is great technology, especially for us firefighters who are IN SHAPE and have the ENDURANCE to continue working with a longer lasting bottle. With this I bring my point: This new, improved bottle is great for the firefighter who is in top physical condition, but a death trap for the firefighter who has had a few too many hot fudge sundaes in his life. My argument lies in the fact that the number one killer of firefighters is heart attacks. Most of us are out of shape. Period. A lot of us smoke, a lot of us drink; many of us are lazy, over worked, over stressed, etc. You get the point. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that a smaller profile and a lighter pack that this new technology brings is great for us, However, for the "general" firefighter, this could make things worse. It doesn't matter how much clean air you can stick in a bottle. With today's 4.5 bottles there are some people who can make it last 40 minutes (firefighters who vigorously work out) and there are people who suck a bottle down in 15 minutes. Focusing on the latter half of the previous sentence, those who suck down a 30 minute bottle in 15 minutes, with the advantage of the 5.5 bottle and more air availability, are able to work longer in a fire. The down side of this is that these firefighters are now going to overwork themselves and put them in a situation where there life is at danger, not from the fire, but from themselves.

Please do not take this on an attack on obese or out-of-shape firefighters. Nor am I attacking ay flaws that SCOTT may have overseen in their technological advances. I solely bring this up as a discussion point in the matter of firefighter safety.

Bnechis and antiquefirelt like this

I really hate to be the "negative Nancy" here, and I know I'm going to get flak for this, but someone's got to say it:

I do agree with everyone that this is great technology, especially for us firefighters who are IN SHAPE and have the ENDURANCE to continue working with a longer lasting bottle. With this I bring my point: This new, improved bottle is great for the firefighter who is in top physical condition, but a death trap for the firefighter who has had a few too many hot fudge sundaes in his life. My argument lies in the fact that the number one killer of firefighters is heart attacks. Most of us are out of shape. Period. A lot of us smoke, a lot of us drink; many of us are lazy, over worked, over stressed, etc. You get the point. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that a smaller profile and a lighter pack that this new technology brings is great for us, However, for the "general" firefighter, this could make things worse. It doesn't matter how much clean air you can stick in a bottle. With today's 4.5 bottles there are some people who can make it last 40 minutes (firefighters who vigorously work out) and there are people who suck a bottle down in 15 minutes. Focusing on the latter half of the previous sentence, those who suck down a 30 minute bottle in 15 minutes, with the advantage of the 5.5 bottle and more air availability, are able to work longer in a fire. The down side of this is that these firefighters are now going to overwork themselves and put them in a situation where there life is at danger, not from the fire, but from themselves.

Please do not take this on an attack on obese or out-of-shape firefighters. Nor am I attacking ay flaws that SCOTT may have overseen in their technological advances. I solely bring this up as a discussion point in the matter of firefighter safety.

I must agree. When we first switched to high pressure SCBA, we concverted our old Scott 2.2's to 4.5's. BTW the high pressure 4500 psi adds no more time, only volume adds time. But, the 4500 psi config allows longer duration bottles int eh same relative size range of the low pressure units. Anyway, we soon purchased a handful of 60 minute higher pressure CF bottles for our haz-mat ops. Our Chief at the time was impressed that the new 60's were lighter and about the same size as the old 30 minute LP ones, so he made all the officers seat SCBA's install a 60 minute bottle. His idea was that we could stay in longer as we were not as physically tasked as the firefighters on the crew. Needless to say, some of us must have exceeded his expectation of work as officers? Not to mention trying to maintain crew integrity when your crew need to swap a cylinder and take a blow and you stay inside? Thankfully we got this change tactfully and quickly. Maybe it was just a test to see if we were all "Yes men"? He had a habit of testing people to see what they knew and if they dared to object, to test their mettle.

While not common here in the north east there is a heavy emphais on air management in other parts of the county. They are leaving the building before the low air alarm goes off. Also I belive the next revision of the SCBA standard will increase the EOSTI from 25% to a higher number. The air management program I was recently aquainted with involved the crew leaving upon the consumption of 1/2 of the bottle (their SCBA gives them an audible indication at this point). They then rehab and go back in the cycle. They use an on deck/RIT concept so crews are rotated. They routinely get three rotations in by members at working fires. Very far from the norm here where we work to exhaustion. Don't really see too many firefighters work through a 45 minute bottle and then rotate back in.

efdcapt115 likes this

Along with the price increase and weight increase the durability has gone down in my opinion. Pre integrated PASS 4.5 with 30 minute bottle was my favorite.

My favorite I've ever used is my personally owned AP50 with 30 minute cylinder. No integrated PASS or anything fancy. Just simple small and light airpak. I'm 5'5 and 120 lbs on a good day so for me, lightest is most convienent.