Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OnTheWheel

Reporters are getting worse!

11 posts in this topic

Journal News Article

"Reached by telephone Wednesday evening, Daniele's wife of 15 years, Carol Daniele, was still dealing with the tragic news, but said her husband was a wonderful father to the couple's two sons, ages 10 and 13." (courtesy Journal news)

This gentleman died in a horrible accident at about 3pm, it appears from the article that the reporter contacted his wife (of 15 years and father of her 2 children) later that evening, I won’t assume a time but shortly thereafter 3pm and asked for a comment. What do you think her comment would be? What in God's name would possess a reporter to call a victim's wife like this? This is getting out of hand and they need to exercise a little courtesy and restraint. Next they'll have a microphone shoved in the family's face at the funeral, burying a 48 y/o father and husband. UNBELIEVABLE!

Edited by OnTheWheel
FF398, efdcapt115, firedude and 2 others like this

They already are. The sad part is tragedy sells. I agree some level of respect and privacy needs to be afforded to these victims and their families but as long as ratings are involved and they can lead the news with "Exclusive interview with ....." and string you until the end of the new to see the "exclusive" no comment interview they will continue to do it aggressively :(.

Reporters are nothing but vermin. They constantly step on each others back in order to elevate themselves. They could care less who they hurt in order to be the first ones with "breaking news". They also purposely slant stories in order to create sensationalism and controversy. There are no ethics in journalism.

I'm not making excuses, but thats what these guys get paid to do. News is a big money-making business in this country; money means ratings, ratings means money. The newsprint and on-air news media are there to make money; thats what their company's focus on; a story that is of little interest to the public will be put on the back shelf.

Admittedly death and dirt sell in the United States. People are willing to pay to hear other peoples business or agony; if they didn't, then the media would shift its attention to whatever would sell because Its all consumer driven.

Journalists do have a code of ethics; unfortunately being aggressive isn't part of that. The best weapon against overly aggressive news reporters is silence. They hate that because it means they won't have much of a story.

Reporters are nothing but vermin. They constantly step on each others back in order to elevate themselves. They could care less who they hurt in order to be the first ones with "breaking news". They also purposely slant stories in order to create sensationalism and controversy. There are no ethics in journalism.

One only has to look at the LO HUD article about the "incident" at Playland. Enough said

99subi likes this

Absolutely Disgusting. My aunt is a reporter for a major international news company, I'm talking if you turned on a certain channel you'd see her every night. However I'd prefer not to name it. This one really ticked me off so I called her to get her opinion both from the media side and as a news professional. She immediately said it is highly unprofessional to be attempting a comment so soon after an incident and that people need to understand that someone going through a tragedy needs space she agreed, low-level media scum at it once again.

Probably because the writer had a deadline to meet and it's news/protocol. You can't wait for it because then it becomes old news and the story becomes irrelevant. News is news regardless of whether it's positive or negative in the journalism world. It's a daily paper, they have to have the stories in by a certain time so the editors can copy edit, do layout and then send it to print. If it were a weekly/monthly paper I'm sure the writer would have given the family more time.

Granted, I do agree with the majority here... don't get me wrong. I don't think it was right for the person to be doing that but it is The Journal News so does this really surprise many of you?

Probably because the writer had a deadline to meet and it's news/protocol. You can't wait for it because then it becomes old news and the story becomes irrelevant. News is news regardless of whether it's positive or negative in the journalism world. It's a daily paper, they have to have the stories in by a certain time so the editors can copy edit, do layout and then send it to print. If it were a weekly/monthly paper I'm sure the writer would have given the family more time.

EFF THE PAPER...EFF THE DEADLINE...EFF IT THE REPORTER! LET THE FAMILY GRIEVE! That poor woman was no doubt worrying about how her family will survive day to day finacially, how to break the news to the poor guy's KIDS...her WHOLE WORL TURNED UPSIDE DOWN...

Edited by x129K

EFF THE PAPER...EFF THE DEADLINE...EFF IT THE REPORTER! LET THE FAMILY GRIEVE! That poor woman was no doubt worrying about how her family will survive day to day finacially, how to break the news to the poor guy's KIDS...her WHOLE WORL TURNED UPSIDE DOWN...

Hence the reason I will never be a reporter. I have something called a soul.