Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
voltage1256

An unfortunate situation, What to do...

31 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I'm not too active here on the forums, but I'm in an unfortunate situation and need a little guidance from everyone here. I am currently pursuing my dream of becoming an airline pilot at college down in Florida. Unfortunately I have what in pretty much 90% of other careers wouldn't be considered a medical issue, but sadly when it comes to aviation it is considered one. I have filed all of the proper paperwork and will be taking the optional alternate color vision test given by the FAA. If I pass, I'm all set and will be allowed to continue my training and pursue my airline pilot dream I have wanted since the little age of 3. If I do not meet their standards... I will have to find other options as far as college and a career choice. Luckily for me I do have that back up plan of pursuing EMT and eventually Paramedic. My color vision has been diagnosed and I am not severely color deficient/ nor am I "color blind." After doing some research, I have come to find that both career Fire and EMS with the exception of Law Enforcement do not have an issue with color deficiency but just full on color blindness ("black and white"). My family's main concern is that good ol' college education. I am curious if any of the EMT's or Medic's out there attended college or just went through the respected training programs? I'd hope to come back to Westchester and live at home while I pursue EMS, so if there are any local schools that offer a degree and EMS training that would be a major plus for me. I want to thank all of you very much from deep down for taking the time to read this, and if you have any guidance, and suggestions you'd be willing to post, they will be highly considered and appreciated.

Thank You. Voltage1256

Edited by voltage1256
x635 likes this

Voltage1256, there are actually degree programs offered for the paramedic and EMT tracks. What you need to do is think outside the box, e.g. not just look at the 6 month EMT course but research some of the community colleges that offer these programs. Look at Westchester Community College for a start. They offer an A.A.S. degree on the paramedic track. Follow this link: http://www.wccems.com/. also this PDF that has info on the A.A.S. degree in Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic ( 64 Credit Program).

Either way good luck.

PEMO, thank you for your quick response! I will look into it. This is what I was curious about.

Edited by voltage1256

Go get a 4 year college degree - not just a paramedic certification of AAS with a paramedic certification. I went to 4 years of college and have a degree completely unrelated to EMT/emergency services/paramedic, etc. Get work experience OUTSIDE of EMS. As much as I love being a paramedic (part time/per diem) in a bunch of places, I thank God every day that I have a bunch of other work options other than EMS. This definitely helps with burnout and fills my pockets quite nicely with $$ at my other non-EMS job. My husband is currently seeking a 4 year degree after more than 20 years in EMS, and he would say whole heartedly, Go to College first and get a degree I would add - focus on a solid education, get a solid degree in science, management or something like that, etc and don't let EMS create short-sightedness. No one care if you have a degree in EMS management or emergency services. So why limit yourself with such a specific degree? Get something you can go any where with - med school, nursing, education, etc! Good luck!

Edited by jack10562

There is zero advantage to pursuing a degree with your paramedic. Get a degree in anything else. If medicine interests you, go for a Physician Assistant program or or nursing degree. If EMS becomes a career and you start looking towards management requirements are usually for a bachelors in whatever and then specific grad programs.

ACEast likes this

Voltage the important thing is you get an education...period. I wish you luck!!!

There is zero advantage to pursuing a degree with your paramedic. Get a degree in anything else. If medicine interests you, go for a Physician Assistant program or or nursing degree. If EMS becomes a career and you start looking towards management requirements are usually for a bachelors in whatever and then specific grad programs.

Zero is an awfully low number, but I'm with those posters that want to see this person get a solid 4 year degree. It would be wonderful if EMS providers and the field itself were more respected. I think providers do that by bringing more to the table than just an EMT or AEMT certification. There is an interesting piece in the New York Times today about responding before the call, where paramedics are making house calls to at risk populations to cut down on emergency calls. That's a direction I'd love to see EMS take. A degree in public health administration might be a consideration for someone starting in the field that wants to move EMS forward while making a difference.

And flying makes a great hobby....

Again thank you all for your responses! and yes! flying does make a great hobby. the hobby of it however is a lot different then the career at 37,000 feet. :unsure:

Zero is an awfully low number, but I'm with those posters that want to see this person get a solid 4 year degree. It would be wonderful if EMS providers and the field itself were more respected. I think providers do that by bringing more to the table than just an EMT or AEMT certification. There is an interesting piece in the New York Times today about responding before the call, where paramedics are making house calls to at risk populations to cut down on emergency calls. That's a direction I'd love to see EMS take. A degree in public health administration might be a consideration for someone starting in the field that wants to move EMS forward while making a difference.

And flying makes a great hobby....

The Paramedic AAS or Health Sciences BS offers no advantage over any other 2 or 4 year degree. At least getting a degree in another field offers other employment opportunities and a broader knowledge base. If medicine is where the heart lies Nursing and PA are both far better investments for your time and money. Hell, if you have an extra two years knock out the pre-reqs take your MCAT and go to medical school. Most programs will accept you without a BS.

Public Health administration is a great graduate program but not very useful as an under grad. Most management jobs want Masters degrees, so why pigeon hole yourself so early?

There are so many choices out there, make the most out of this opportunity. This may be your last chance to devote all of your attention to school. Once you hit the workforce priorities begin to change and people often have to start compromising. Take advantage of the fact that EMT and Medic do not require degrees and try something else.

I attended Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, which I am suspecting you are too right now, and originally went to fly airplanes. I stopped flying, not because of a medical issue, but rather what appeared to be a decrease in piloting jobs upon my eventual graduation. I switched over to occupational safety and have enjoyed this path ever since.

There are hundreds of related aviation jobs out there that do not require flying. ERAU had hundreds of programs ranging from aviation maintenance, weather, NTSB and aviation safety, to human factors in aviation, that it is quite possible to find your niche without having to command an aircraft. While attending school, I got my EMT in NY over my sophomore summer, and worked as an EMT at Daytona Speedway as a track/jump medic for the duration of my schooling down there. I know plenty of guys, who love the world of EMS/firefighting, but went to school to pursue other degrees, while obtaining their initial medical training. God forbid something happens where you cannot function as a public servant anymore, or, you unfortunately never get hired off a list, you still have your degree which you can fall back on and make your living off of that. Best decision I ever made, was to get my 4 year degree in something completely unrelated to firefighting and EMS, and enter the (unfortunate, as I would MUCH rather be out busting cajones and helping my community) world of Corporate.

Give yourself something to fall back onto in case what you really want to do, doesn't work out.

ny10570 likes this

Thanks for the advice Johnny! I am indeed at ERAU. I am working with a professor and the CFI to help resolve the issue as best I can. My true passion lies in the flight deck in the air and not on the ground. I am actually currently in their safety sciences degree, with the flying on the side until we have a say in the issue from the FAA. Without getting into too much detail and taking up a paragraph, I have spoken with the NTSB and several accident investigation agencies. Again not having a Class 1 unrestricted with time as ATP or Comm Cert Pilot becomes an issue if I was to pursue field investigation (that was my aviation back up). If it doesn't work out, it is for the safety of the skies, and I understand. Luckily for me I have back ups on top of the back up of EMT/ Paramedic. I currently when I'm home work as a Theatrical Electrician designing shows, and working on sets. SUNY Purchase, Manhattenville, and Sarah Lawrence all offer the degree. I guess I gotta wait and see where the flight path/ road takes me for now.

PS.. USA is hiring around 80,000 pilots between 2015-2029 as they are drilling it into our heads down here. If you still have your certs you might wanna re-consider if your flying dream is still sparked. ERAU lost 5 instructors last week alone to one airline.

Edited by voltage1256

I agree with those that say to get a degree outside of Fire/EMS. The burnout rate in EMS seems pretty high, and a backup plan is always needed. This was discussed in another thread, entitled "should a degree be needed for FD/PD. I'll say the same thing here that I did there, what happens if you get two years on the job and have to go out on disability? What will you do the rest of your life? Think about this analogy. Football players work there butts off to get into the NFL. The average NFL career is 2.5 years or something like that(unless you're Brett Favre). SO you are 26 years old with 2 busted knees and a trick back. Now what?

I would have to disagree with you here NY. If Voltage has no "Higher Eduction" background and maybe is interested in starting commercially as a Medic and then moving on to the Fire Department Based EMS, more than likely he will need college credits to take the civil service test. In most places it isn't like the "Old Day's" anymore. More and more jurisdictions are requiring a certain number of college credits. Why not kill two birds with one stone?

I agree with those that say to get a degree outside of Fire/EMS. The burnout rate in EMS seems pretty high, and a backup plan is always needed. This was discussed in another thread, entitled "should a degree be needed for FD/PD. I'll say the same thing here that I did there, what happens if you get two years on the job and have to go out on disability? What will you do the rest of your life? Think about this analogy. Football players work there butts off to get into the NFL. The average NFL career is 2.5 years or something like that(unless you're Brett Favre). SO you are 26 years old with 2 busted knees and a trick back. Now what?

Never stop at just your first degree for this reason itself. Maybe it's an injury or maybe you want to better yourself, but you always want to make yourself more profitable either way. Personally I have an Associates in Fire Protection Technology and I was hired two years ago come January. I am now pursuing my Bachelors Degree in Emergency and Disaster Management to do one of three things, either 1) god forbid I am injured I'm hoping I'll be able to still sit a desk 2) make myself more profitable for Promotion with-in the department in the future or 3) start planning my retirement because we all know that the day you stop working your first career you're going to start working another.

Just my two cents though

Edited by FFD941

Thanks for the advice Johnny! I am indeed at ERAU. I am working with a professor and the CFI to help resolve the issue as best I can. My true passion lies in the flight deck in the air and not on the ground. I am actually currently in their safety sciences degree, with the flying on the side until we have a say in the issue from the FAA. Without getting into too much detail and taking up a paragraph, I have spoken with the NTSB and several accident investigation agencies. Again not having a Class 1 unrestricted with time as ATP or Comm Cert Pilot becomes an issue if I was to pursue field investigation (that was my aviation back up). If it doesn't work out, it is for the safety of the skies, and I understand. Luckily for me I have back ups on top of the back up of EMT/ Paramedic. I currently when I'm home work as a Theatrical Electrician designing shows, and working on sets. SUNY Purchase, Manhattenville, and Sarah Lawrence all offer the degree. I guess I gotta wait and see where the flight path/ road takes me for now.

PS.. USA is hiring around 80,000 pilots between 2015-2029 as they are drilling it into our heads down here. If you still have your certs you might wanna re-consider if your flying dream is still sparked. ERAU lost 5 instructors last week alone to one airline.

As a shameless plug for my former school career long project, have you looked into joining the MED Team? We've provided numerous students from all walks of the university the opportunity to get involved with a campus based EMS system while pursuing their college degree.

They've made quite a number of advancements after I graduated, and hopefully you'll give them some consideration as they work very closely with Daytona Beach Fire, and EVAC ambulance. Some students work part time, while attending school, at EVAC as EMT's and if the same still applies while I was there, those who volunteer with MED, get looked upon very highly when they apply for a job with EVAC,

Check them out at http://www.eraumed.com/ .... They should be starting their First responder program shortly, and I highly recommend you check it out. Those who take the in house first responder course, and go on to their EMT, have an extremely high pass rate, and generally graduate at the top of their class.

PS: I stopped flying after receiving my Single Engine, Instrument rating between winter and spring semester my sophomore year... too much time and money would have to be invested now to get back on the commercial flight path, and I just can't afford to do it right now.

Edited by JohnnyOV

As a shameless plug for my former school career long project, have you looked into joining the MED Team? We've provided numerous students from all walks of the university the opportunity to get involved with a campus based EMS system while pursuing their college degree.

They've made quite a number of advancements after I graduated, and hopefully you'll give them some consideration as they work very closely with Daytona Beach Fire, and EVAC ambulance. Some students work part time, while attending school, at EVAC as EMT's and if the same still applies while I was there, those who volunteer with MED, get looked upon very highly when they apply for a job with EVAC,

Check them out at http://www.eraumed.com/ .... They should be starting their First responder program shortly, and I highly recommend you check it out. Those who take the in house first responder course, and go on to their EMT, have an extremely high pass rate, and generally graduate at the top of their class.

PS: I stopped flying after receiving my Single Engine, Instrument rating between winter and spring semester my sophomore year... too much time and money would have to be invested now to get back on the commercial flight path, and I just can't afford to do it right now.

I have indeed joined MED and start CFR this Wednesday. I'm looking forward to it. We got to meet an EVAC crew last week and I can tell they definetly have come a long way. Sorry to hear the Flight Career was cut short, I've got several friends out of HPN who sit in your shoes and now also enjoy the Private Pilot side of things. I'm going to OMN tomorrow and I'm going to see if the Tower will shoot me some colors for a little bit.

A degree is never a bad thing to have in your back pocket and you should absolutely obtain one that (1) doesn't pigeon-hole you into a single career and (2) get involved in something that interests you.

Every pilot is one medical away from being grounded and you never know when a medical condition or accident will ground a career pilot so having another option if/when that happens is simply good planning. Just like paramedics and EMT's are one lift away from a debilitating back injury.

Continue working with your faculty advisors and physicians. The FAA is a colossal bureacracy and it may take time to have your issue resolved (hopefully for you favorably) but they will eventually give you an answer.

Good luck and happy flying!

voltage good luck in school. as someone else said ur education is important. again good luck and stay safe

Helicopper, we are on the same page for both careers. I agree on the medical, any one visit to the AME can be one that changes everything. just as any transport can be one that results in injury. For now I plan to focus on getting my final answer from the FAA. The results will tell me what path i take. either result I have a backup, and on top of that back up, i still hold a less favorable career interest, but I could see myself doing it. I know we have never really spoken but, I'll assume you're in PD Aviation, therefore you truly understand how "frightening" a medical can really be.

Safe Skies and of course Happy Flying!

Edited by voltage1256

I got a BA in... what was it? Someone told me to get all the education you can while your parents are still willing to pay for it, so I did. It was in communications. It never had any direct effect on my medic job, but I learned a lot of cool stuff, including learning HOW to learn (and how NOT to). At my job we have medic students riding rotations from 4 programs and the UK. I have found the students from Southern Maine Tech to be by far the best and most prepared ever. I also worked in MA the many Northeastern University medics (shout out to Seth!!) they too were great. If medic is your vector, and travel is an option, I recommend those places, based on the performance of their students/graduates. If travel is out, I suggest Dutchess Community College as a strong local alternate. IMHO as always.

Dutchess as compared to attending Westchester? or you're just listing another semi local example?

You're making thread a needle here, as I don't want to diminish any of my peeps from the Westchester class. But I cannot tell a lie; I have found the students that ride on my truck who are in the Dutchess class are better prepared than other local programs.

If you put in the time and effort you'll likely succeed anywhere you chose to go. If you don't, then you won't be prepared regardless of where you choose to go.

If you put in the time and effort you'll likely succeed anywhere you chose to go. If you don't, then you won't be prepared regardless of where you choose to go.

I think that is a very fair and true statement!

Instead of starting a new thread, figured I'd update everyone, Part 1 of my test is tomorrow... If I pass I can schedule Part 2. Fingers crossed!!

An entrance exam? Whatever exam it is, best of luck. Again, i can't emphasize enough to forget the smoke blowing and the catchy slogans - good old hard work is going to pay off. Also, ALWAYS be an advocate for yourself - seek out help when you need it (and be honest when you have difficulties).

The only other advice i can offer is that once you're done with school - maybe even now just before you go to school - start thinking about you're next step. While being a paramedic is an awesome job, you simply don't get compensated appropriately. Not saying you can't still be a medic, just keep that in mind before it gets too late!

Edited by Goose

An entrance exam? Whatever exam it is, best of luck. Again, i can't emphasize enough to forget the smoke blowing and the catchy slogans - good old hard work is going to pay off. Also, ALWAYS be an advocate for yourself - seek out help when you need it (and be honest when you have difficulties).

The only other advice i can offer is that once you're done with school - maybe even now just before you go to school - start thinking about you're next step. While being a paramedic is an awesome job, you simply don't get compensated appropriately. Not saying you can't still be a medic, just keep that in mind before it gets too late!

My bad... I have my AVIATION medical demonstration of abilities test tomorrow...