Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD389RET

Raytheon Polar services

12 posts in this topic

EXPERIENCE ANTARCTICA!

DISPATCHERS

RAYTHEON

Raytheon Polar Services Company is currently recruiting Dispatchers to support the United States Antarctic Program.

To apply, visit: http://www.rayjobs.com/rpsc

If you are unfamiliar with this program, check out our website at:

www.rpsc.raytheon.com

Information is also available in the USAP Participant Guide at:

http://www.usap.gov/travelAndDeployment/

We are currently looking for people to deploy to McMurdo Antarctic research station for various periods of time beginning in approximately August of 2011 . Summer season generally begins in August or October/early November and runs through the following February. Winter-over contracts generally begin in February and run through August or October. These contract times are flexible and changes may be made based on business needs.

Antarctica is a remote, extreme weather (winds, snow, rain) location. Employees live and work in a tight knit group. Living arrangements are dorm style with a roommate and meals are provided in a dining hall/galley. Only authorized personnel are allowed on station and you need to remain on station for the duration of your contract except in case of emergency.

Contract compensation & program amenities include:

• Weekly salary; subject to all federal, state, & local taxes

• Reimbursement of expenses to physically qualify

• Travel to and from Antarctica

• Housing and Meals

• Extreme cold weather gear (see participant guide for complete list)

• Comprehensive benefit package

• Performance-based bonus upon successful completion of contract (0-20% of earned salary for first contract year)

• Recreational activities

If a position is offered, employment is contingent upon applicant's ability to:

� Provide proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residency

� Pass strict physical, dental and psychological (winter contracts only) examinations

� Pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check

� Obtain a current passport

DISPATCHER (requisition #12172BR) : $800 - $900 per week

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:

High school diploma or equivalent and two years experience in Emergency Service Dispatch (9-1-1) radio operations, communications technology or related field is required.

IFSAC, Pro-Board/DoD, or State Certified Telecommunicator I/II; Incident Command System (ICS) 100 and 200 certifications required for offer consideration (training offered online through FEMA). Basic computer skills required, including Word, Excel and e-mail applications.

Questions: Contact April Brooks:

april.brooks.contractor@usap.gov

Edited by BFD389RET

Re photo: Watch the skies!

For you younger members this is a classic movie reference ( also one of my all time favorites)

Re photo: Watch the skies!

For you younger members this is a classic movie reference ( also one of my all time favorites)

The 1950's version takes place at the North Pole, the John Carpenter re-make 1980's version takes place at the South Pole.

800-900 a week doesn't seem like much at all, especially when they include taxes. But, wen I was younger, maybe for the experience.

However, there is nothing that stands out for this job over a regular job. And you're away from your family, and not even making a good living to send home. Sounds like a shitty federal government job.

JM15 likes this

800-900 a week doesn't seem like much at all, especially when they include taxes. But, wen I was younger, maybe for the experience.

However, there is nothing that stands out for this job over a regular job. And you're away from your family, and not even making a good living to send home. Sounds like a shitty federal government job.

900 dollars (post Taxed)a month for a year, with NO rent and no Food expenses?..The only chance to spend any real cash is When you get whatever time off they allow, Ie: going back to civilization for 2 weeks during the year I believe, you have recreation > x country sking , snowshoeing and sleding and snowmobiling are not recreational, they are part of existance... I would also state that VERSION 3 of the movie is slated to be released.. this month...

I really dont have any reason to put myself in jeopardy by going, either Seth, BUT had the chance popped up in 1977 I might have gone.. sometimes young folks Like a structured way to forget about..insert whatever here...

Edited by BFD389RET

one of the guy's I went to UNH did it and It looks really cool and would be a great experience as well. In today's world of people getting out of school and fighting for jobs it would help on the resume.

Chris

one of the guy's I went to UNH did it and It looks really cool and would be a great experience as well. In today's world of people getting out of school and fighting for jobs it would help on the resume.

Chris

The way our economy is going, coupled with the fragile state of the world economy and geopolitical pressures, wars, famine, terrorism, natural disasters, wildfires.....tied in with the Mayan calendar and the supposed significance of the year 2012; a gig in Antarctica might be a great place to ride out the coming year..... :unsure:

firefighter36 and firedude like this

Seth, BUT had the chance popped up in 1977 I might have gone.. sometimes young folks Like a structured way to forget about..insert whatever here...

Oh, heck yeah would I go if I was younger, especially for the experience like FDNYCHI said. Wow, when did I become not "younger"? Anyways, I meant it's a Federal job you can't support a family on.

Also, the travel is only to and from, plus it says you can't leave the base at all. So there is only a couple of indoor activities I could think of. And who do you actually dispatch?

I saw a documentary on this facility once....it was pretty neat...actually I think it was a Swedish facility.

And going from Key West to Antartica! Talk about a climate change, lol!

Uhh...state and local taxes? Eskimo tax maybe?

NOO eskimos are in the Arctic.. would have to be Penguin or Tuxedo taxation

Oh, heck yeah would I go if I was younger, especially for the experience like FDNYCHI said. Wow, when did I become not "younger"? Anyways, I meant it's a Federal job you can't support a family on.

Also, the travel is only to and from, plus it says you can't leave the base at all. So there is only a couple of indoor activities I could think of. And who do you actually dispatch?

I saw a documentary on this facility once....it was pretty neat...actually I think it was a Swedish facility.

And going from Key West to Antartica! Talk about a climate change, lol!

Who do you dispatch? hahaha You dispatch the 1st responders these Facilities have Fire and EMS services but Mutual aid Can be a b**** and water supply too, Imagine starting a fire to melt snow to put out a fire.. sorta catch 22... I'll look around I have seen either referances to the FIREFIGHTING JOB or photos of apparatus that they use ( maybe both).. Just make sure you DRain that pump, and circulate water using tank drain and FIll ..lol

OH MY GOD check out the seperate NEW post , while Checking this out 2 things happened 1 I found job posting for Firefighters and Officers as well as lowly dispatcher...and 2 the mail Came including My elegibility final score For FAD exam 1005 very typically I scored 75.875 and have 99 people in front of me I'm, astounded.. these tests NO matter what I try to do this is so freakin typical hahahaha

Edited by BFD389RET

How do you get the DOD certifications and stuff? Does the company send you to the schools??