Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buff.boy

Pelham Manor Tanker Explosion

47 posts in this topic

Wasn't New Rochelle spec'ing a Foam Unit for this type of emergency a while back, mostly to use as a regional resource for this type of thing? Or am I old and they got it already?

Neither. We had an offer for a used unit. We passed on it.

We have done a number of things to upgrade our foam abilities; new eductors, new nozzles and some foam deck guns, and a couple of other neat "toys" for elevated foam and transfering foam, which we have not been able to put in-service due to lack of funding for enough training foam to work the kinks out.

Thats ALOT of FDNY Chiefs there!

15 was IC till the 7th showed up. 20 was All Hands Chief. Two Battalions as Foam Coordinators. Not sure what the 5th BC was for. Looks like in total, an All Hands Assignment from the Bronx, with the added response for a foam operation.

M' Ave likes this

the inital response from the Bronx was only Eng 38, Lad 51 and Batt 15. On arrival it was reported that Lad 51 was putting the bucket to work and Batt 15 transmitted the 10-75 bringing in additional units from the FDNY. They later transmitted a 10-86 for foam operations.

At the time, I was staying at the Ramada Inn on Baychester Ave near Co-Op City. A friend of mine had called me and said that Mt Vernon was getting numerous reports of an explosion. I listened for awhile but had no idea of exactly where this fire was. That is until I heard the Bronx Dispatcher advising units to take the New England thruway and get off at Conners St. Then go take Boston Rd over the bridge. It was right out the Front Door.

It was about 2-3 miles from where I was staying so I took it in. What a Great operation it was. First time I actually ever saw so many mutual aid companies working together in the NYC Metro area.

Edited by nfd2004

So, FDNY getting dual dispatched gets an immediate response of any required resources. How long does a formal mutual aid request take to get fulfilled at that hour?

Good to see we can all work together!

Edited by FirNaTine

5th BC was Resource Unit Leader, requested by Div-7.

(Quote)So, FDNY getting dual dispatched gets an immediate response of any required resources. How long does a formal mutual aid request take to get fulfilled at that hour?(Quote)

I would take a guess and say within 20 minutes. That's just going from my experience.

Too bad Mt. Vernon doesn't have a foam truck anymore. They would have been there really, really quick.

Too bad Mt. Vernon doesn't have a foam truck anymore. They would have been there really, really quick.

It would not have changed the outcome.

By the time foam was ready to go, there was almost no gasoline left.

The Shell station fire in Ossining in 1997 was the gas tank on a vehicle being worked on in the garage, I believe it was caused by gasoline spilled and a dropped work light. Any OFD peeps feel free to correct me.

Double checked today and that exact scenario was confirmed by a member of OFD who responded to that then. He also said they shot water on it then because they didn't have the ability to shoot foam like they do today. They could have but it was a lot more difficult to do so.

First thing I'll say is Pelham Manor is often faced with difficult situations on the FD side and the PD side thanks to that stretch of Boston Post Rd.

Second thing is; if I'm on a Pelham Manor rig rolling up solo and this is what I'm faced with, you'd bet your *** I'm relieved to see the Army rolling across the bridge.

Third thing; if Southern Westchester ever wants to put the capabilities together to have some type of adequate initial response to incidents like this one (which by the way aren't going away, and are going to happen again), they'd better dust off the consolidation study.

Pelham Manor Brothers on the job that responded, I salute you for rolling into probably one of the more difficult fire scenarios that can be faced; with minimal manpower, I remember all too well the feeling in my gut (when I rode solo) knowing what had to be done, and looking next to me in the rig and seeing only my helmet hanging on a coat hanger.

Nice job mitigating a catastrophic fire. God bless all; forget the nameplates on the helmets and rigs. That's why they call this a Brotherhood (Sisters too).

All too often we get involved in the firehouse politic; who's cheatin' who, who's a square rooter, etc. Jobs like this bring it all home, that's why the busier departments maintain the love, and keep the BS to a minimum.

Edited by efdcapt115
helicopper likes this

Anybody know what's the story with that Crash Truck they've had for a few yrs. now?

that's why the busier departments maintain the love, and keep the BS to a minimum.

Unfortunately there Capt. that's not necessarily true. Doesn't matter what the size of the Dept. there's still plenty of BS to deal with that's just the way it is these days.

Unfortunately there Capt. that's not necessarily true. Doesn't matter what the size of the Dept. there's still plenty of BS to deal with that's just the way it is these days.

I appreciate what you are saying, and my intent with this comment is not to make this thread go off topic. I don't think she would mind now if I said I dated a female police officer from southern Westchester for quite some time. The insight I got into the professional operation of a particularly small police department made me wonder why they were able to maintain such a high level of professionalism, and LOYALTY toward each other; when I've seen fire departments in southern Westchester destroying themselves with infighting, ridiculous hatred and grudge-holding, and overall dysfunction. This does not apply to the larger jobs like Yonkers IMHO. I had opportunity to advise a Brother to transfer to YFD years ago from another department. My advice was GO and don't look back. I think he thinks he made the right choice.

Guys have to raise their game in the fire service. Forgiveness is a virtue; one that too many firefighters, career or volunteer don't seem to understand. We all make mistakes, but the higher virtue of Brotherhood could prevail, IF the Brothers could learn to forgive, let it go, understand we're all human and ALL of us are going to do something that pisses others off.

Thank you for the opportunity to address this particularly nagging issue in Westchester County Fire Departments.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled discussion of an amazing fire; amazing because it shows what firefighters are capable of doing as a team. More of us need to keep that in focus during the times when tankers and buildings aren't burning.

JohnnyOV, bigrig77 and helicopper like this

Chief - As long as Politics and Egos stand in the way, and there is pressure from the unions, the concept of Consolidation of Services will never see the light of day in our lifetime. I started a new thread as it relates to the County's effort to explore the concept of shared services (Shared Municipal Services Expo) that the county is sponsoring tomorrow. Whether or not all of the Mayors, Town and Village Administrators, Police Commissioners, Fire Commissioners and Chiefs, and EMS Leaders attend is open for debate and discussion, but I totally agree with you, when you say that the couny needs to PUSH and PRESS this concept and make it a reality. No Exceptions. (this way, no one would have to choose what Fire Department in the County provides them with the best opportunity to make a difference (personally and professionally). ONE DEPARTMENT (Police, Fire and EMS), no exceptions.

I appreciate what you are saying, and my intent with this comment is not to make this thread go off topic. I don't think she would mind now if I said I dated a female police officer from southern Westchester for quite some time. The insight I got into the professional operation of a particularly small police department made me wonder why they were able to maintain such a high level of professionalism, and LOYALTY toward each other; when I've seen fire departments in southern Westchester destroying themselves with infighting, ridiculous hatred and grudge-holding, and overall dysfunction. This does not apply to the larger jobs like Yonkers IMHO. I had opportunity to advise a Brother to transfer to YFD years ago from another department. My advice was GO and don't look back. I think he thinks he made the right choice.

Guys have to raise their game in the fire service. Forgiveness is a virtue; one that too many firefighters, career or volunteer don't seem to understand. We all make mistakes, but the higher virtue of Brotherhood could prevail, IF the Brothers could learn to forgive, let it go, understand we're all human and ALL of us are going to do something that pisses others off.

Thank you for the opportunity to address this particularly nagging issue in Westchester County Fire Departments.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled discussion of an amazing fire; amazing because it shows what firefighters are capable of doing as a team. More of us need to keep that in focus during the times when tankers and buildings aren't burning.

Edited by 61MACKBR1
bigrig77 likes this

Why were the TRT officers called or notified?

I heard that they were requested to monitor an exposure (with a surveyors transit) for collapse risk.

I was told that Greenville was requested at one point as well but they couldn't go for whatever reason.