Followers 0
texastom791

State Trooper - Vermont State Police, VT

20 posts in this topic

My link

Closing Date

1/14/2012

Description

The Vermont State Police are currently testing for the position of Trooper for a projected January 2012 class.

Requirements

Vision- Applicants must have satisfactory depth perception, no marked muscle imbalance, and have a satisfactory visual field. The applicant must have uncorrected vision not worse than 20/200 (Snellen) and corrected 20/20 in one eye and not worse than 20/40 in the other eye. Contact lens wearers must have 20/20 corrected vision and have worn contact lenses successfully for a minimum of one year. If an applicant has had laser eye corrective surgery and meets the above criteria, a six month waiting period is required before beginning the Academy. All candidates must pass a color vision test.

Drugs - Applicants must not have used illegal drugs - to include prescription drugs not prescribed to them - for one full year prior to applying.

Hearing - Normal

Health - Mental and physical condition appropriate to successfully perform with reasonable accommodation, the essential job functions for this position.

Education - High School diploma or G.E.D.

Selective Service System – Applicants (males only) must be registered with the Selective Service System.

Military - Not required. However if military service has been performed, an honorable discharge or separation must have been obtained. Applicants who have an honorable discharge will have five points added to their overall test score.

Residency - Applicants must bear the expense of travel to Vermont for multiple stages in the hiring process. Vermont residency is required upon graduation from the academy. You must be a United States citizen to apply.

Driver's License- Must possess a valid motor vehicle license at the time of application. Your right to operate must not have been suspended or revoked within twelve months of application. You must obtain a Vermont operator's license upon acceptance.

Physical Requirements - A mandatory physical assessment program is in place which encompasses the following areas – body fat, sit and reach, bench press, sit ups, push ups, and a 1.5 mile run. The minimum standards for this assessment is based on the 50th percentile for a candidate based on age and sex as developed by the Cooper Institute for Aerobic Research. View the requirements.

View the Vermont State Police Fitness Manual

Body Piercing/Tattoos/Body Art - No body piercing, tattoos, or other body art may be visible while in uniform or on duty if not in uniform.

Criminal History - No felony convictions. The right to carry a firearm shall not be revoked for any reason.

The posting say 14.54$ an hour....is that right?

From the Website...

The base salary for a newly hired Trooper is $36,753.60. A newly hired Trooper who has previously completed a full time police academy and has worked three uninterrupted years as a full time police officer will start at a base salary of $48,980.10, which progresses through seniority steps to a top base salary of $71,358.30.

http://vsp.vermont.gov/employment/pay_benefits

Pay & Benefits

The base salary for a newly hired Trooper is $36,753.60. A newly hired Trooper who has previously completed a full time police academy and has worked three uninterrupted years as a full time police officer will start at a base salary of $48,980.10, which progresses through seniority steps to a top base salary of $71,358.30.

A Trooper normally receives a yearly cost of living increase in addition to the above.

Troopers also receive compensation for shift work, overtime work, on call pay, call-ins for court, call-outs after hours and holidays worked. The overtime rate is 1.5 times the Trooper's hourly rate.

ADDITIONAL BENEFITS

Paid holidays, sick leave, vacation time and personal leave.

Newly hired Troopers who have served in the armed forces and received a full honorable discharge may be entitled to additional monetary benefits for training under the Montgomery GI Bill.

Excellent retirement plan based on 50% of the trooper's averaged top two years gross salary. Cost of living increase included yearly. Medical plan optional. Must be age 50 and have contributed 20 years into the system to collect full retirement benefits. Retirement for all members is mandatory at age 55.

Paid medical and dental plans. The trooper contributes 20% and the state covers the remaining 80% of the cost of the medical plan. The State covers the cost of the dental plan.

Beneficiary benefits with optional group life insurance policy.

Optional deferred compensation plan.

Take home car equipped with state-of-the-art technology. Gas and maintenance are paid for by the State.

All uniforms and equipment are provided by the State, to include cleaning and replacement.

Tuition reimbursement plan.

Career advancement and specialization through promotion, special teams and various other assignments.

Physical fitness bonus. Twice per year, you will be required to pass a physical fitness test. The better you do, the more money you earn in your bonus.

In each first full pay period in August, each member shall receive 40 hours of extra duty pay (commonly known as Boots & Brass pay) to compensate you for off-duty hours spent maintaining your uniform.

Shift differential for working nights and weekends.

Someone can confirm this for me but I was talking to some troopers probably 15 year ago and at the time most of the state operated as a 20 hour road patrol. Meaning they had 2 10 hour shifts. 4 hours in the middle of the night were handled by calling members in from home. Since they all take their cars home. I knew they were planning on changing even back then but it was really unfathomable for someone from the NY metro area.

As many of you may know, i spend a LOT of time in Vermont. Through friends, i met a VSP Trooper. Hes in his late 20's/early 30's with a few years on the job. Last i spoke with him, he was making (with OT) somewhere in the $60-65K range. Uniformed VSP Troopers are assinged their own car (marked) which they take home.

As for the salary, it may seem low compared to Westchester and other areas. But take into account that the cost of living is also lower. For the median price of a house in Westchester, you could buy a mansion in most parts of Vermont lol. In many areas of Vt, you could buy a nice 3/4 bedroom house with property and low taxes in the $200K range.

If anyone is interested in taking this exam, i can talk to my "connections" and get more info.

Someone can confirm this for me but I was talking to some troopers probably 15 year ago and at the time most of the state operated as a 20 hour road patrol. Meaning they had 2 10 hour shifts. 4 hours in the middle of the night were handled by calling members in from home. Since they all take their cars home. I knew they were planning on changing even back then but it was really unfathomable for someone from the NY metro area.

This is still the case for hours of operation for the VSP.

If you enjoy working in a state that has the half the population of Westchester County, no gun laws minus a few fish and wildlife regulations, snow 9 months of the year, being alone on patrol in desolate ares, being tolerant and accepting of illegal immigrants and not knowing exactly when your backup is going to reach you, then this is the job for you.

However, since no one city or region has many resources, VSP are the primary HAZMAT, EOD, SWAT, Dive, Technical Rescue and CSI for the vast majority of the state.

firedude likes this

If you enjoy working in a state that has the half the population of Westchester County, no gun laws minus a few fish and wildlife regulations, snow 9 months of the year, being alone on patrol in desolate ares, being tolerant and accepting of illegal immigrants and not knowing exactly when your backup is going to reach you, then this is the job for you.

However, since no one city or region has many resources, VSP are the primary HAZMAT, EOD, SWAT, Dive, Technical Rescue and CSI for the vast majority of the state.

SRS...for someone who spends alot of time in Vermont and who vollys up there, you seem to have a lot of negative things to say about it.

Vermont has a pretty low crime rate, even with the leinent gun laws. Criminals may actually be less likely to commit a crime knowing that many Vermonters are pro-gun and carry firearms.

Snow 9 months out of the year? Maybe waaay up north.

As for the illegal immigrant statement...what area are you reffering to if i might ask?

Working in desolate areas, yes, maybe. This could be said about many LE agencies accross the nation.

Not knowing when your backup is coming, maybe an issue. Again, depends on where youre out of. Like here, many Towns and Cities have their own PDs (which im sure youre well aware of) that can and will back-up VSP and visa-versa.

SRS...for someone who spends alot of time in Vermont and who vollys up there, you seem to have a lot of negative things to say about it.

Vermont has a pretty low crime rate, even with the leinent gun laws. Criminals may actually be less likely to commit a crime knowing that many Vermonters are pro-gun and carry firearms.

My statement was an attempt at a humorous outlook on LE in VT. Simply put VSP is a very difficult job, I am not being negative, simply pointing out some of the extreme differences between VT and the tri-state area. Unline NY, provided I am not violating any federal gun laws, one can conceal and carry.

Snow 9 months out of the year? Maybe waaay up north.

Snow falling and on the ground from September to early May. This is the first year in 4 I have not hit the ski slopes by October and for the past 3 years my last day of the season is late April. Thats ignoring the fact that I have had minimum recorded temperatures in the biggest city right on the lake of -25F not including windchill and thats not even the central portion of the state that is snowier and colder.

I love this state, and as it stands the odds I will be leaving anytime soon are very small, however, as I said above, this is a very different pace of life and a very different style of living.

As for the illegal immigrant statement...what area are you reffering to if i might ask?

http://news.yahoo.com/video/burlingtonwptz-18190896/shumlin-tells-cops-to-look-the-other-way-on-illegals-26629760.html

The Governor has been very clear that illegal immigrants are vital for the economy and agriculture of Vermont. A l ot of people, including many officers I know do not like that aspect, but remember, the 10th Amendment protects each states rights.

Working in desolate areas, yes, maybe. This could be said about many LE agencies accross the nation.

Not knowing when your backup is coming, maybe an issue. Again, depends on where youre out of. Like here, many Towns and Cities have their own PDs (which im sure youre well aware of) that can and will back-up VSP and visa-versa.

Unlike NYSP which operate out of 2 man cars contractually during 7pm-7am, VSP operates out of 1 man cars and is responsible for patrolling the entire state. As you pointed out, there are town and city PDs but they are stretched very thin and are not everywhere. Additionally, many will greatly reduce manning or even shut during night time hours leaving only VSP and maybe county Sheriffs as the only LE in the area. As a VSP trooper you have to be prepared for the fact that there might not be any help for upwards of 30 minutes even in well traveled areas.

Edited by SRS131EMTFF
BFD1054 likes this

VT is a great place. I lived there for 4 years.. Dont forget mud season, right after Winter, but before Spring.. It sure does snow in May.

Edited by 38ff
x129K, firedude and SRS131EMTFF like this

That sort of mud is no fun. And it is COLD...........

My statement was an attempt at a humorous outlook on LE in VT. Simply put VSP is a very difficult job, I am not being negative, simply pointing out some of the extreme differences between VT and the tri-state area. Unline NY, provided I am not violating any federal gun laws, one can conceal and carry.

Snow falling and on the ground from September to early May. This is the first year in 4 I have not hit the ski slopes by October and for the past 3 years my last day of the season is late April. Thats ignoring the fact that I have had minimum recorded temperatures in the biggest city right on the lake of -25F not including windchill and thats not even the central portion of the state that is snowier and colder.

I love this state, and as it stands the odds I will be leaving anytime soon are very small, however, as I said above, this is a very different pace of life and a very different style of living.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/burlingtonwptz-18190896/shumlin-tells-cops-to-look-the-other-way-on-illegals-26629760.html

The Governor has been very clear that illegal immigrants are vital for the economy and agriculture of Vermont. A l ot of people, including many officers I know do not like that aspect, but remember, the 10th Amendment protects each states rights.

Unlike NYSP which operate out of 2 man cars contractually during 7pm-7am, VSP operates out of 1 man cars and is responsible for patrolling the entire state. As you pointed out, there are town and city PDs but they are stretched very thin and are not everywhere. Additionally, many will greatly reduce manning or even shut during night time hours leaving only VSP and maybe county Sheriffs as the only LE in the area. As a VSP trooper you have to be prepared for the fact that there might not be any help for upwards of 30 minutes even in well traveled areas.

SRS...My bad, its been a crappy, stressful week and its only Tuesday lol. I didnt pick up your underlying humor.

As for carrying a firearm in Vermont; would you happen to have any good links to their laws, esp in regard to non-resident carry? Not that i dont believe you, because trust me i do, its that others dont believe me lol. I have friends that travel into Vt frequently and would like to see actual documentation.

In regards to the snow, i know that you can see it as early as September and as late as May (i have myself). Im usually in Southwestern Vermont where its less likely, but does happen.

My wife is from Vermont and a total ski bunny. She got me back into skiing when we met. 2 years ago i couldnt ski due to shoulder surgery and my wife couldnt ski last year due to an illness. Soo, heres to hoping for lots and lots of powdery goodness this year!

We're actually looking into renting a place in the Killington area around New Years.

Maybe ill see ya on the slopes or at Long Trail brewery.

Vermont is definately a great State and i would love to own a place there one day.

Interesting about the illegal immigrants. Its something i hadn't really seen much of or been aware of in Vermont. However, Vermont being as liberal as it is, im not surprised.

Anywho, being an LEO anywhere is a very difficult job hands down. But as you pointed out, Vermont has its added dangers in regards to Law Enforcement.

By the way, i still cant figure out the whole Constable concept up there lol, any ideas?

Edited by BFD1054

SRS...My bad, its been a crappy, stressful week and its only Tuesday lol. I didnt pick up your underlying humor.

As for carrying a firearm in Vermont; would you happen to have any good links to their laws, esp in regard to non-resident carry? Not that i dont believe you, because trust me i do, its that others dont believe me lol. I have friends that travel into Vt frequently and would like to see actual documentation.

In regards to the snow, i know that you can see it as early as September and as late as May (i have myself). Im usually in Southwestern Vermont where its less likely, but does happen.

My wife is from Vermont and a total ski bunny. She got me back into skiing when we met. 2 years ago i couldnt ski due to shoulder surgery and my wife couldnt ski last year due to an illness. Soo, heres to hoping for lots and lots of powdery goodness this year!

We're actually looking into renting a place in the Killington area around New Years.

Maybe ill see ya on the slopes or at Long Trail brewery.

Vermont is definately a great State and i would love to own a place there one day.

Interesting about the illegal immigrants. Its something i hadn't really seen much of or been aware of in Vermont. However, Vermont being as liberal as it is, im not surprised.

Anywho, being an LEO anywhere is a very difficult job hands down. But as you pointed out, Vermont has its added dangers in regards to Law Enforcement.

By the way, i still cant figure out the whole Constable concept up there lol, any ideas?

No worries, the week after vacation can be especially difficult, especially with 10 extra pounds of turkey and all the fixen's to lug around...

Here is the info you wanted. I didn't specially read anything that says a non-resident can't carry...

http://www.atg.state.vt.us/issues/gun-laws.php

Title 13:

Section 4003. Carrying dangerous weapons

A person who carries a dangerous or deadly weapon, openly or concealed, with the intent or avowed purpose of injuring a fellow man, or who carries a dangerous or deadly weapon within any state institution or upon the grounds or lands owned or leased for the use of such institution, without the approval of the warden or superintendent of the institution shall be imprisoned not more than two years or fined not more than $200.00, or both.

From the NRA:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CFYQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nraila.org%2Fstatelawpdfs%2FVTSL.pdf&ei=poTVToqCBaHV0QHxnO2fAg&usg=AFQjCNH379Ug5Y1legCKkHTav7pksLF4gg&sig2=dxrIYyDZ3Vp9z118Ye5fqA

And as for as the constables...I think they are more like Sheriffs here, they handle the more civic side of LE, court orders, filings, service etc...

And considering how warm it is this week, it doesn't look that good for a snowy winter, regardless Killington is still open and I too hope to see you on the slopes...or maybe that long trail brewing co. they speak so highly of.

BFD1054 likes this

My link

Closing Date

1/14/2012

Description

The Vermont State Police are currently testing for the position of Trooper for a projected January 2012 class.

Requirements

Vision- Applicants must have satisfactory depth perception, no marked muscle imbalance, and have a satisfactory visual field. The applicant must have uncorrected vision not worse than 20/200 (Snellen) and corrected 20/20 in one eye and not worse than 20/40 in the other eye. Contact lens wearers must have 20/20 corrected vision and have worn contact lenses successfully for a minimum of one year. If an applicant has had laser eye corrective surgery and meets the above criteria, a six month waiting period is required before beginning the Academy. All candidates must pass a color vision test.

Drugs - Applicants must not have used illegal drugs - to include prescription drugs not prescribed to them - for one full year prior to applying.

Hearing - Normal

Health - Mental and physical condition appropriate to successfully perform with reasonable accommodation, the essential job functions for this position.

Education - High School diploma or G.E.D.

Selective Service System – Applicants (males only) must be registered with the Selective Service System.

Military - Not required. However if military service has been performed, an honorable discharge or separation must have been obtained. Applicants who have an honorable discharge will have five points added to their overall test score.

Residency - Applicants must bear the expense of travel to Vermont for multiple stages in the hiring process. Vermont residency is required upon graduation from the academy. You must be a United States citizen to apply.

Driver's License- Must possess a valid motor vehicle license at the time of application. Your right to operate must not have been suspended or revoked within twelve months of application. You must obtain a Vermont operator's license upon acceptance.

Physical Requirements - A mandatory physical assessment program is in place which encompasses the following areas – body fat, sit and reach, bench press, sit ups, push ups, and a 1.5 mile run. The minimum standards for this assessment is based on the 50th percentile for a candidate based on age and sex as developed by the Cooper Institute for Aerobic Research. View the requirements.

View the Vermont State Police Fitness Manual

Body Piercing/Tattoos/Body Art - No body piercing, tattoos, or other body art may be visible while in uniform or on duty if not in uniform.

Criminal History - No felony convictions. The right to carry a firearm shall not be revoked for any reason.

They forgot to add the pre-employment test on maple syrup and fall foliage as well as the mandatory requirement to like Phish. :P

firedude and BFD1054 like this

NYSP only operates 2-man cars from 12a-5a. During the overnight, we have single cars that cover multiple counties where you wish your back-up was only 30 minutes away. Although, our compensation kind of makes up for it compared with VSP.

NYSP only operates 2-man cars from 12a-5a. During the overnight, we have single cars that cover multiple counties where you wish your back-up was only 30 minutes away. Although, our compensation kind of makes up for it compared with VSP.

I stand corrected, thank you for the information.