Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest JQP442

What departments have rigs that are rarely called out?

40 posts in this topic

What departments have a nice rig that is never called out? Millwood has MA-10 which is more than your avarage Mini attack. That little guy is a work horse. MA10 is a 1989 Saulsbury, Ford -F-350 Mini pumper, 750GPM pump/150 Gal. booster tank. Class B foam equipped. What more can you ask? for especialy with some of the drive ways we have in the county. Last time I remember it being used in a mutual aide run was to the Kings College fire. Im sure that may of the departments in the area have little gems like that which no one outside there departments know about. Lets hear about them so that they may be used.

We have in the Valley a 2000 F-450 Brush unit with a Pnemac/Foam Pro CAFS slide in unit(24-3-1). We also have a 1193 Pierce Source Pumper--1750 single stage pump and ohh I would say 3,000' of 5"(24-2-3). Finally--our Rescue has high and low pressure bags, a cascade for refilling packs (no onboard compressor though) as well as jaws and etc(24-6-1)

Oh wow almost forgot--our Polaris Ranger 6x6 atv-brush/rescue--can't for get that!!! 24-8-3)

Here in Bethlehem, Engine 11 a nice old Mack MR Engine rarely sees runs. They mostly respond to fires larger than 3 Alarms or to calls when 2 of the 3 Engines on the Westside of town are out on calls. The last fire it responded to was just last week, a 3 Alarm house fire, only 1 block away from the station.

Montrose VAFD has multiple units that are rarely used on the outside of the campus. Just to list a few:

1) MA-28 or Rescue 48- equipped with various Technical Rescue equipment including confine space, Haz-Mat equipped, brush fire tools, hitch to tow either our Rescue Boat or trailer for other capabilities. Soon to be equipped with complete LUKAS system. RIT equipped as well.

2) Haz Mat 33- 2004 Freightliner, 4 door cab with 12 compartments total, that carries monitoring equipment, Haz-Mat Library, Decon equipment, for small or large scale incidents. Also carries booms, socks,pillows for various types of spills. Vehicle equipped to monitor/receive Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Dutchess Counties.

3) Marine 21- 19' rescue boat on trailer. Equipped with EMS, and rescue equipment.

4) Engine 225- Class A pumper equipped with 100 gallons AFFF foam, 750 gallon tank, approx. 2000' 5".

Something to think about....The Montrose VAFD operates with 15 Firefighter/EMT/Haz Mat Techs on a 24 hour basis. There are 3 crews with 5 firefighters each. The Dept. also is under a new regime, with Chief Ed Byrnes taking the helm. Please contact via 60 Control at anytime.

There are also some hidden resources within the Croton FD.

Croton has a well developed FAS team which consists of approx. 15 members who have completed hundreds of hours of training. As you may know the CFD FAST is a very active team that handles all aspects in reference to your firefighters safety. They are always moving around putting ladders up, clearing windows, making sure egress routes are clear etc. ( if you think this is buffing/freelancing take the FAST class and get an understanding of the concept, before you start knocking.)

Engine 118- Class A pumper with 1000 gallons of water, also equipped with onboard foam system.

44 Truck- equipped to handle the roof work, and whatever you need it to do.

R18- heavy rescue, with multiple sets of extrication equipment, both onboard and portable. Also equipped with rope rescue eqiupment. Thermal Imager, 2 multi gas meters, etc.

Engine 329 and the Manifold Hose Wagon. Lucky if they see 5 runs a week.

Engine 70/TL-53 About the same.

JBE,

Where are these three companies located, and why arent they all that busy?

I know 70/53 are from City Island...being so isolated, they rarely leave the island and the island itself is not all that busy....JBE if I'm wrong please correct me.

E-329 is in the Breezy Point section of the Rockaways. Very isolated area. E-70/TL 53 are on City Island. They cannot leave the Island unless on Building Inspection or going to traning. They must be filled if they are going out of service at all times.

Archville Engine 236 rarely responds. There's only about 9,000 miles in this 1982 Hahn masterpiece. When I was Chief Driver of Archville I always loved to respond with it. It's big, slow, loud and pumps like a dream. To all my friends at Archville, treat 236 well for me.

Classic Hahn Baby Ridgefield and Fort Lee NJ both own early 1980's vintage hahns and both are classic both are also due to be replaced

haha gotta baby a Hahn though since they don't make them anymore. I remember when Garfield NJ had a 66 Hahn quad refurbed in 84 but got heavily damaged in a fire at the plant and instead of getting a new truck got it refurbed anyway and kept in until 98. I used to love riding that truck as a kid. Wish they kept it around

jbe do they change the crews at these slow unit very often or do the guys assigned there just get stuck in the cobwebs.we have 2 or 3 unit like that here in sydney,engine 60 on the far northern beach's of the city only get about 20 runs a month,funny thing was that a couple of years back when i was a relieving firefighter i went there for a night tour and we had 2 house fires and 3 other calls so they told me they didn't want me back again.I have a fiend stationed there for the last 12 years and if he got transferred back to a busy station he would more than likely retire. :D

yorktown MA-8, Tanker-14 and our dive trailer

YonkersR3, can you give a little more information about the units such as how far the are willing to go and how much they carry, what kind of rigs they are..... I didnt know that they had foam units

YonkersR3, can you give a little more information about the units such as how far the are willing to go and how much they carry, what kind of rigs they are..... I didnt know that they had foam units

Mt Vernon has had a foam unit (until getting the old truck from the airport this year) and has always an engine converted to a foam unit since the late 60's.

Boy, you can sure take your pick from my department. Between our Haz-mat trailer, 6 wheel ATV, Hose Truck (5000' of 5"), "Boat" (yea, a rowboat), i would be amazed if they rolled to 5 calls total last year.

I've been working my side job in Somers out of the Lincondale house for almost a year now, and I didn't know until today that they had a spill trailer. Seems like a very nice resource to have. RES20CUE, or anyone else - care to share what is in it?

E-132 would have to be the rig that is used the least i mean it isnt our fault, its just that there are so many other rids that get called out so much more half the time E-132 is out of service.

haha gotta baby a Hahn though since they don't make them anymore. I remember when Garfield NJ had a 66 Hahn quad refurbed in 84 but got heavily damaged in a fire at the plant and instead of getting a new truck got it refurbed anyway and kept in until 98. I used to love riding that truck as a kid. Wish they kept it around

Baby a Hahn? Hahn's laugh at you mockingly unless you abuse them. The difference between a Hahn and a Bradley Fighting Vehicle is you don't have to enlist in the Armed Forces to drive a Hahn.

Baby a Hahn? Hahn's laugh at you mockingly unless you abuse them. The difference between a Hahn and a Bradley Fighting Vehicle is you don't have to enlist in the Armed Forces to drive a Hahn.

i couldn't agree more. The Harder we beat on R 47 ( a 1980 Hahn) the better it runs :huh:

We have a 1963 Jeep Kiaser Brush Truck. It was a Army surplus that we aquired. It has a 250gpm pto pump, electric primer, 100gal tank, (2) 1.5 discharges, (1) 2.5 intake, (1) 200' crosslay, 100' booster line, and 500' of 2.5"hose, and 10' hard suction and strainer. It also carries various hand tools. All plumbing and modifications were done by members of the dept. It probably goes out 10 times a year. It is used for brush fires deep in the woods where our F350 can not go. It is sometimes used durring big snow storms to assised at ems calls, and can be used for basement pump outs. It still operates on a 24 volt electrical system, and still has a standard transmission.

We have a 1963 Jeep Kiaser Brush Truck.  All plumbing and modifications were done by members of the dept.  It probably goes out 10 times a year.  It is used for brush fires deep in the woods where our F350 can not go.  It is sometimes used durring big snow storms to assised at ems calls, and can be used for basement pump outs.  It still operates on a 24 volt electrical system, and still has a standard transmission.

What department?

Katonah has a row boat, that was donated to us. Its last saw action during hurricane floyd and since then has gotten a nice aluminum trailer and a fresh paint job!

Oh aside from that maybe the westchester MDU trailer counts.

Actually Katonh's boat was purchased after Floyd. And it has been out since it was purchased.

The Boat and Trailer where both puchased after Floyd, but the boat was painted and Lettered aftermarket. I was Chief when that was done.

And I am Really Glad the MDU has not seen any Real Action just Training.

From my info Rye's Ladder 26, Engine 193, and Fireboat 3 don't get much action

I've been working my side job in Somers out of the Lincondale house for almost a year now, and I didn't know until today that they had a spill trailer. Seems like a very nice resource to have. RES20CUE, or anyone else - care to share what is in it?

The spill trailer contains mostly Haz-Mat containment and cleanup equipment such as booms, pads, speedy-dry, etc. It's been used a couple of times for MVA's with large scale fluid spills. It's usually pulled by U-5. It was purchased when E-183 was the rescue apparatus. Rescue 20 has much more storage to hold such equipment.

Otherwise Somers has E-182, a 1958 Seagrave pumper. It is technically still a responding piece of equipment (even though it's out of service ATTM.) We also have U-34 (scuba bus) and Marine-22, a 2001 Zodiac Rescue boat that doesn't see too much use. MA-13 (1966 International brush truck) was recently retired after 39 years of service. It was a good piece of equipment, but very few were qualified to drive it.

Obviously the more specialized equipment won't see as much use as the everyday engine companies.