Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IFCO3080

Pierce PUC - Whats your feeling?

13 posts in this topic

I wanted to know what everyone thinks about the pierce puc? What are the pros and cons along with what are your experiences with this rig? All info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I wanted to know what everyone thinks about the pierce puc? What are the pros and cons along with what are your experiences with this rig? All info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

If you read PCFD ENG58's post (Engine 58 PCFD: One year old), their 2010 Pierce PUC, is working very well for them. here's the rig...

6022276400_5c56a97700_z.jpg

Edited by firedude
sfrd18 likes this

Didn't your guys come down to look a Eng 58 last week ? They have my # just call !

Edited by PCFD ENG58

Didn't your guys come down to look a Eng 58 last week ? They have my # just call !

I guess they did??? Just got back from a semester away at school. I guess ill hear more about it in the near future. Thanks!

The only thing is that I haven't seen a pump on a PUC over 1500 gpm.

The only thing is that I haven't seen a pump on a PUC over 1500 gpm.

Can the pump actually deliver 1,500gpm? The 1st group that came off the line were advertised as 1,500 gpm but in testing it was reported that the "s" curves in the intake prevented it from making its required minimum capacity.

IzzyEng4 likes this

Can the pump actually deliver 1,500gpm? The 1st group that came off the line were advertised as 1,500 gpm but in testing it was reported that the "s" curves in the intake prevented it from making its required minimum capacity.

A very good question to answer indeed! If we all take our basic classes about friction loss, well with all the curves in the plumbing, I would say no. The only way to effectively find out is to draft from one side of the pump and take our readings and then draft utilizing both main intakes of the pump (no front suction of course) and see what we get. I would love to try to pump one of these rigs during a drill just to see what we could produce.

Edited by IzzyEng4

A very good question to answer indeed! If we all take our basic classes about friction loss, well with all the curves in the plumbing, I would say no. The only way to effectively find out is to draft from one side of the pump and take our readings and then draft utilizing both main intakes of the pump (no front suction of course) and see what we get. I would love to try to pump one of these rigs during a drill just to see what we could produce.

1,627 gpm ,and thats a fact jack ! the rest is all bull !

IzzyEng4 likes this

1,627 gpm ,and thats a fact jack ! the rest is all bull !

It appears that early PUC's did have issues attaining their 1500 gpm rating, but the issue(s) were addressed which explains your newer PUC exceeding the 1500 gpm threshold. My only question would be what were the corrections and does the engine work harder to make the rating? Maybe different gear rati0ns to bring the gpm up while maintaining the 150 psi at draft?

We did just come, thank you for the hospitality... Q's was awesome as always...lol

I think the PUC is a very versatile Engine, especially if you have limited manpower. They have become really popular, and many manufacturers are duplicating the concept.

While this isn't a true "pumper", 1500 GPM is enough to do the job in most cases. Chances are, if you need that capacity, there will be an Engine on scene for water.

DFW (Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport) uses several Pierce PUC Engines to cover both landside and airside emergencies:

post-11-0-58846000-1324252427.jpg

And the City Of Austin, TX has this Pierce PUC Heavy Duty Quint:

post-11-0-93357700-1324252662.jpg

Kyle, TX uses this Pierce PUC as a Rescue Pumper:

post-11-0-54930500-1324252922.jpg

Westlake, TX uses this Pierce PUC as a first due Engine:

post-11-0-39708700-1324253188.jpg

Here's one PUC I've photographed, with some spec shots:

firedude likes this

Archville PUC - Photo TR54

post-23-0-52147300-1324261702.jpg

firedude likes this