Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

Conn. paramedic accused of rape inside ambulance

18 posts in this topic

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-01-06/paramedic-rape-ambulance/52418770/1?csp=34news

HAMDEN, Conn. (AP) – A paramedic raped a woman as she lay unconscious and strapped to a stretcher in the back of an ambulance on the way to a hospital, police said Friday. The 22-year-old woman, who had fallen and suffered a concussion at a holiday party, says she woke up to find the man assaulting her inside the ambulance on Dec. 25, according to Hamden police. She said she could not move because she was strapped down.

I really hope this isn't true.

Ohh God...this is terrible. If this is true, I hope the dirtbag is punished to the fullest extent.

sfrd18 likes this

If this is true..and that was a box..whoever their partner was should be charged as well..no way you couldn't see something in the rear view mirror. I know I wouldn't cover for anyone who would do anything inappropriate.

sfrd18, x129K, peterose313 and 3 others like this

If this is true..and that was a box..whoever their partner was should be charged as well..no way you couldn't see something in the rear view mirror. I know I wouldn't cover for anyone who would do anything inappropriate.

I agree Tom. I hope - really, really hope - this isn't true.

sfrd18 likes this

Wait until the facts come out. If he's covering for anyone, hang 'em high. I don't know the interiors of AMR buses, but FDNY on buses you definitely can't see anything and too often you can't even hear. As for the type III's, frequently there's enough stuff between you and the back were you might as well be divided. As for mirrors, many trucks have lost them along the way and they're never replaced.

I can see a few ways this event could have happened... she was at a party and may have become intoxicated and fell. Even if it was a non intox related fall, he was performing a head to toe exam- as should be done on a fall with LOC. She wakes up impaired and draws the wrong conclusion. Once she makes that report, it is hard to take it back even if you realize later you were wrong.

Edited by sympathomedic

If this person did do what is mention. I hope the paramedic, and partner both get punished to the fullest extent of the law. What a black eye for EMS... and what a pig..

Wait until the facts come out. If he's covering for anyone, hang 'em high. I don't know the interiors of AMR buses, but FDNY on buses you definitely can't see anything and too often you can't even hear. As for the type III's, frequently there's enough stuff between you and the back were you might as well be divided. As for mirrors, many trucks have lost them along the way and they're never replaced.

I always wait for facts...which is why I said "if this is true." The city buses for good reason are separated and when in the back the driver mind as well be in another borough. For every type III I've been in my area...you could crawl up front and your view isn't all that obstructed. No Type III should ever be without its rear view mirror.

It's a media feeding frenzy. They already have him convicted and plastered his face everywhere. So, even if these are false charges it will be very difficult for him to work again. It's a harsh reminder to us to remember to cover our asses. Ask for a LEO to ride in the back, call for a female crew (I've done both of these things with certain Pt's), and document document document. You never know what's going to come back and bite you in the a**. Now that this is all over the news there is a possibility of some less than honest people out there that see $$$ and may attempt to make accusations. That being said, I really hope that none of this is true. Stay safe and smart out there everyone.

BFD1054 and ems-buff like this

While I absolutely hope this is not true, it also would not be the first time someone cried wolf, for revenge, or any other number of reasons.

Secondly, why is it always that the person accused in an allegation such as this gets publicly named, before there is even an investigation conducted???

Even if he is innocent, this guy might as well have been convicted of a sex crime, for the damage already done.

If he's guilty, lock him up.

BFD1054 likes this

This is right in my back yard, literally. There are a lot of questions, doubt ect. that need to be answered. I know a lot of people, we all hope this is untrue, however there are a lot of questions being raised about this allegation right now. One red flag is the accuser waited two, three days according to the NH Register article in today's edition, nor said anything in the ER about it.Of course I'm not saying that if true she didn't do the right thing, there is the embarrassment factor as well as the anguish suffered with the alleged assault.

Everything has to be looked at carefully by the investigators. Also the medic is well known and very good at his profession.

I pray this isn't true and EVERYTHING was documented on the run form what was being done for treatment.

jack10562 likes this

Sounds like its true, right from the perp's mouth.

Also, I doubt that his partner would have let that happen if she knew what was going on. The things the warrant describes don't sound like things that would alert the driver, unless of course the victim screamed, etc.

A tip: I wouldn't read the warrant application while eating. Its pretty disturbing.

And unfortunately, this is unlikely to be his first offense. Previous encounters may have gone unreported by embarrassed victims, or possibly he has just targeted those who weren't with it enough to realize what was happening to them.

Well, looks like the guy admits to it. I'm speechless.

http://www.nhregiste...0c238579975.txt

http://www.nhregiste....txt?viewmode=3

I'm not. The mans either an idiot or a sexual predator, 6-4 you pick 'em. Personally, I'd go (as I'm sure the DA will) with sexual predator. I don't know if everyone read the report but (those of you who are sensitive can skip this part) in addition to pinching the girls nipples he states that he inserted he's right middle finger moving it up & down "I just diddled it" he says. Meanwhile it goes on to say it took about 10 min. to get to the hosp. He did the aforementioned after other procedures at tactile stimulation failed. What clinical significance justified such action. None. Now, over the years, especially back in the day, hearing about some moronic barbarians twisting nipples (on male pts) in order to elicit some kind of response. I've never, ever heard an excuse/justification or even a suggestion by anyone to do what he has admitted to. The DA should ask if he would have thought to yank on a male sex organ in an attempt to elicit a response. His job, career & possibly his freedom are gone, with a sex predator tag attached for the rest of his life. He says it was bad judgment. I agree, luckily, his patient wasn't as unresponsive as he thought, this probably wasn't his first time but hopefully it's his last.

Edited by jack10562
format quote
Alpinerunner and SageVigiles like this

Yeah the warrant is pretty disturbing. While he admitted doing what he did, I can see targeting him, but early saturday morning I was reading the huffington post story and some idiots were saying that not only should he be killed but so should his wife and his spawn (their words). II can understand the outrage, but targeting the family. I hope they will at least seek or get some kind of protection. I can't imagine what the victim is going thru nor can I imagine what his family especially his kids are going thru as kids can be very vindictive. And with the victim making statements like I've gone thru it a hundred times in my head, I hope she's getting help because she's gonna need counseling at the very least. I'm seriously thinking PTSD here. I've also seen other articles that this guy used to play santa for his FD and all kinds of things. Seemed very civic minded prior to this. I hope to god this wasn't all a front and that this was his first victim and it was all a big mistake, but with the way he revealed it, I'm not so sure. he's the warrant for those who couldn't get into the registers site

77689916-Powell-Warrant.pdf

Agreed Sage, reading the warrant will make you sick.

I was frankly disturbed reading it and I think I deep investigation into this medics calls dating back years should be undertaken. Who knows if there is a pattern of sexual abuse that exists. Every call where he transported an unresponsive/unconscious female patient should be reviewed and the patient notified. This could shine evidence onto a career's worth of mistreatment/abuse and the forthcoming claims by potential victims or a once in a lifetime, dumb-f***ing-a** mistake. Either way, this guy is a dark, dark stain on our profession and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and serve maximum jail time.

I have had good friends of mine forward me the article and ask me if I saw it.

I hope the victim gets the help and support she needs and deserves.

Damn, I'm glad these idiots run their mouths without asking for a lawyer. Without that confession, does anyone believe this case would have gone anywhere? A concussed and intoxicated patient is far from an ideal witness.

Attaboy Hamden PD detectives on a job well done.