Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FDNY 10-75

2012 NYSP Chevy Caprices

27 posts in this topic

Anyone know what the interior size of the Caprice vs Impala is? I've read the specs but have never sat in the new Caprice.

Anyone know what the interior size of the Caprice vs Impala is? I've read the specs but have never sat in the new Caprice.

Caprice has a 112 cubic foot interior while the Impala has a 105 cubic foot interior. For comparison, the CVPI has a 107 cubic foot interior.

source

Caprice has a 112 cubic foot interior while the Impala has a 105 cubic foot interior. For comparison, the CVPI has a 107 cubic foot interior.

source

Appreciate it.

what no more navy blue?? thats gonna suck

Troop and thruway units are still going to be navy blue.

So then what are those Caprices for?

Exactly what I am wondering- it does say New York State Police on the top doesn't it? What else do they do?

NYS Environmental Conservation Police use black cars with gold lettering. I believe their current cars use the same light package as the State Police

So then what are those Caprices for?

Exactly what I am wondering- it does say New York State Police on the top doesn't it? What else do they do?

Few posible outcomes...

1) Cars will be painted blue (unlikely since they already have lights installed)

2) Cars are being used as part of the Commercial vehicle enforcement/DOT division (they use black cars)

3) NYSP is using a new paint scheme

4) Cars will be stickered with blue panels

5) It's not NYSP

6) I'm wrong

NYS Environmental Conservation Police use black cars with gold lettering. I believe their current cars use the same light package as the State Police

They use a different lighting package. Also, their cars don't have push bumpers. But still a possibility.

Edited by firedude

The last few demo/test cars have been black, the chargers on the road and the impala were all black. So I believe these are just test cars for now.

firedude likes this

This might be a stupid question, but isn't the new Ford Police Interceptor All Wheel Drive? Wouldn't that be a little more beneficial for Troopers especially those further upstate?

Yes the new interceptors are all wheel drive. IMO I think they would be more beneficial. But who knows maybe they already are testing these cars to make the determination

Yes the new interceptors are all wheel drive. IMO I think they would be more beneficial. But who knows maybe they already are testing these cars to make the determination

The Fords have optional AWD, Chevy's do not

Edited by mfc2257

It maybe nice, but it also one more thing to break wirh the hard starts and stops made with these cars. I have been to the NYPD.s main repair shop in Queens several times. There is an entire room with just pre-assembled Impala front axles and struts. The mechanics told me it was easier to replace the entire assembly, than to try and replace just the broken piece

I know a department near me that has the older style chargers. They replaced their impala fleet with the chargers. They love the chargers but they are looking into the caprice and the interceptor. From what ive heard, the officers would like the AWD. But its still a while out before they start replacing the chargers. And it might be another expense when it breaks but i see it as being helpful for the more rural department and for the rural NYSP barracks.

From what ive heard, the officers would like the AWD.

What officer wouldn't want AWD? :rolleyes:

Most would, but the troopers have been driving around in 2-wheel drive TAHOES that nobody (except a bean counter) would buy.

FFBlaser likes this

Massachusetts just recieved the new Ford Police Interceptor in and is being outfitted by MHQ in Marlborough, MA

0203121112_2.jpg

EdAngiolillo likes this

Most would, but the troopers have been driving around in 2-wheel drive TAHOES that nobody (except a bean counter) would buy.

Well, there is a good reason. The 4WD Tahoes are not pursuit rated. When NYSP purchased the 2WD, they were dropped several inches to meet Division's standards. Without the modification, they were determined to be too great of a roll-over risk.

helicopper, Dinosaur and firedude like this

Well, there is a good reason. The 4WD Tahoes are not pursuit rated. When NYSP purchased the 2WD, they were dropped several inches to meet Division's standards. Without the modification, they were determined to be too great of a roll-over risk.

I would never want to be in a pursuit with a 4x4 Tahoe, I have one and can say at high speeds in a turn, it doesn't really feel safe at all.

I would never want to be in a pursuit with a 4x4 Tahoe, I have one and can say at high speeds in a turn, it doesn't really feel safe at all.

Right, you can't. I was answering the earlier post who referenced 2WD for cost-savings.

I don't think there is much of a savings.... Could be wrong, but even with 4x4 out of the picture you still have the suspension lowering so I'd think they would about equal.

x4093k likes this

Could be wrong, but even with 4x4 out of the picture you still have the suspension lowering so I'd think they would about equal.

There is a big difference.

Eliminating 4 wheel drive alone saves app $2,000. Multiplied over a group purchase of 50 to hundreds of the vehicle is a lot of money saved, not to mention decreased maintenance cost savings.

Lowering the suspension is not expensive at all, it involves installing already manufactured parts designed just for that option.

This can be accomplished by reversing leaf springs, or a redesigned shock or shock mount or redesigned axles..

Regarding the 4 wheel drive issue, on 4 wheel drive you cannot lower the suspension, nor is the 4 wheel drive rated for pursuit or high speed driving, that is why GM speciffically lowered the suspension to allow the vehicle to be pursuit rated, high speed response rated so it could be used for police work.

Edited by ME4