Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NOZ45ZLE

NYC ST. Patricks Day parade

9 posts in this topic

Does any one know any info for the out of town fire fighter that whant to come down and march with fdny?

Not allowed. The Hibernians have very strict rules about who can march. In the past exceptions have been made, but they were for specific reasons. Don't let this stop you from coming out and enjoying the parade.

Don't let this stop you from coming out and enjoying the parade.

And if you decide to take mass transit (specifically Metro North) please try to behave yourselves as there will be enough amateurs on the trains! St Patty's Day is the one day of the year that I absolutely HATE going to work.

BFD1054, x129K and effd3918 like this

And if you decide to take mass transit (specifically Metro North) please try to behave yourselves as there will be enough amateurs on the trains! St Patty's Day is the one day of the year that I absolutely HATE going to work.

Absolutely the truth,More F Bombs and drunks

Those trains aren't called vomit comets for nothing! At least the regular weekday commuters will get a pass this year as it falls on a Saturday.

Those trains aren't called vomit comets for nothing! At least the regular weekday commuters will get a pass this year as it falls on a Saturday.

I feel bad for the cleaners from Metro-North who get stuck cleaning those cars on Saturday; they'll most likely have a real mess on their hands.

Guys from out of town have jumped in the back of groups but someone tends to chase them out at some point.

Guys from out of town have jumped in the back of groups but someone tends to chase them out at some point.

In one case;

The Westchester FF's Pipes and Drums got formed under the leadership of some guys, like retired EFD Captains Timmy Harte and Rick Lynch (feel free to add to the list). The band rose to notice and was asked to march in between large fraternal organizations of FDNY firefighters.

Because of the vast number of FDNY members, it would take several minutes for the entire regiment to pass, marching behind the great FDNY Pipes and Drums who lead the way. To cut that up they inserted the Westchester band to help out.

It might have had something to do with TV commercial breaks and the passing of contingents by the viewing stand.

The Westchester Emerald Society had reformed in the '80's after the band. These members organized, under Lt. Joe Dolan(?) of the White Plains F.D., the color guard for the Westchester band. This lead to the Emerald Society members gathering to march directly behind their guys in the band, with the informal blessing of the city Brothers.

Some other original color guard members;

Tommy Moriarity NRFD

Jimmy Lang FDMV

Bruce Kerr RyeFD

In those original years of the Emeralds, the marching members out of respect for where they were and particularly honored, humbled, to participate amongst the members of the city, in their city, began to march in formation because they were numbered in few and actually completed the Westchester band's compliment.

Over the years, this lead to expansion of the people who started showing up and attaching to the emerald society. Finally, added for probably security reasons as much as anything else the parade peoples said the contingent behind the band had grown too large (it had with the stragglers), and would therefore have to...."disband." lol

"End of the Pack'ers" didn't help, as many who joined behind acted severely unprofessional. NO WAY the FDNY guys are going to let anybody come in there, on one of their most celebrated days, in the city they protect, endure injury and die for, and allow anything unprofessional that might be associated with the fire department. This became particularly important in the years following 9/11.

It went back to just the band and the honor guard still doing their job, last I heard.

jack10562, calhobs, x129K and 3 others like this

In one case;

The Westchester FF's Pipes and Drums got formed under the leadership of some guys, like retired EFD Captains Timmy Harte and Rick Lynch (feel free to add to the list). The band rose to notice and was asked to march in between large fraternal organizations of FDNY firefighters.

Because of the vast number of FDNY members, it would take several minutes for the entire regiment to pass, marching behind the great FDNY Pipes and Drums who lead the way. To cut that up they inserted the Westchester band to help out.

It might have had something to do with TV commercial breaks and the passing of contingents by the viewing stand.

The Westchester Emerald Society had reformed in the '80's after the band. These members organized, under Lt. Joe Dolan(?) of the White Plains F.D., the color guard for the Westchester band. This lead to the Emerald Society members gathering to march directly behind their guys in the band, with the informal blessing of the city Brothers.

Some other original color guard members;

Tommy Moriarity NRFD

Jimmy Lang FDMV

Bruce Kerr RyeFD

In those original years of the Emeralds, the marching members out of respect for where they were and particularly honored, humbled, to participate amongst the members of the city, in their city, began to march in formation because they were numbered in few and actually completed the Westchester band's compliment.

Over the years, this lead to expansion of the people who started showing up and attaching to the emerald society. Finally, added for probably security reasons as much as anything else the parade peoples said the contingent behind the band had grown too large (it had with the stragglers), and would therefore have to...."disband." lol

"End of the Pack'ers" didn't help, as many who joined behind acted severely unprofessional. NO WAY the FDNY guys are going to let anybody come in there, on one of their most celebrated days, in the city they protect, endure injury and die for, and allow anything unprofessional that might be associated with the fire department. This became particularly important in the years following 9/11.

It went back to just the band and the honor guard still doing their job, last I heard.

We originally formed the Westchester Firefighters Emerald Society after a few of us who were attending Westchester Community College for Fire Science decided to go forward with the idea. What convinced me personnaly was a quote from DC Bob Curtin, FDMV Ret. which I still remember tpo this day. Bob said we should start our own society "Cause I'm sick of marching behind somebody else." Those words did it for me. I was in!

The problem we have had with the NYC parade is that we always wanted to be early in the parade, somewhere behind FDNY. Well, nobody can just jump into that spot. There have been groups that have been in the Parade for 100 years and they don't want anyone jumping the line of march.

That's it in a nutshell. The parade is hours long and we cannot simply jump into the line of march that has been decided by the parade committee, which, might I add, is one of the most powerful organizations in the City of New York.

jack10562 likes this