Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

WCDES "Mini" Field Com

16 posts in this topic

I've been told that Westchester County DES Communications has received either a "mini" Field Comm or Communications Support Unit on a Ford E-450 chasis? Anyone have further?

Did they get a second piece to keep up with call volume? Is the first piece used so often they needed it or was it just a "grant - use it or lose so we have to get it" deal?

Judging by the badge, looks like a Homeland Security unit...

I think that is the westchester RACES truck the radio club ! Ham Radio operators

I think that is the westchester RACES truck the radio club ! Ham Radio operators

Thats what I believe too..

Thats what I believe too..

Yeah, I think you guys are right. Check out their logo, looks like the one one the side...

post-17100-0-71009600-1331008795.png

Photo Courtesy of WESTCHESTER COUNTY ARES/RACES

X635, is that the rig you were inquiring about? I noticed the DES decal, are they part of DES?

Edited by firedude

I've been told that Westchester County DES Communications has received either a "mini" Field Comm or Communications Support Unit on a Ford E-450 chasis? Anyone have further?

Its not a field comm...its the RACES vehicle.

Its not a field comm...its the RACES vehicle.

So what do they do?

I noticed the vehicle has no emergency lights...does it respond anywhere?

firedude likes this

http://www.weca.org/ares.html

PRetty concise explanation...

Didn't look at the site as to be honest really not interested..but thanks for doing so...I couldn't tell you what it is, does, could do, wants to do and someone prior to me had asked.

Well, technically ARES donated the old Field Com when it used to be operated through WCPD. I thought the Red Cross had a Field Com operated by ARES.

I mean no offense to HAM operarators, but what level NIMS are they trained to? Is there a deployment plan for them that requires DES provide them with a vehicle? Is HAM radio still as big a hobby as it once was? I know, at one time, it was an incredible way to communicate. But nowadays, there is much technology that has made HAM radio in emergency operations like they were set up for in the past, for the most part, obsolete.

I realize most HAM Radio operators are radio geniuses and know many intircate details about radios. I hope this unit is used for details such as radio repair and setting up temproary repeater sites, etc, instead of just parelleling what already exists. And, HAM radio can interfere with some of this new technology.

I also respect all the other activites HAM radio operators do for the community, just to note.

As someone who is relatively new to the "amateur" radio scene, as well as a member of WECA -

We do maintain a public safety liaison with DES. I am far too new to know the details of how that unit responds to emergencies, if at all. I will check on it and get back to you all.

Ham radio is still a growing hobby, and there are many opportunities within to gain experience in emergency radio communications, such as RACES, ARES, Skywarn, and even MARS. WECA hosts a training session at the County Center every month that includes these topics, and others such as military communications, digital radios, etc. The folks there are very knowledgeable, and come from a wide variety of backgrounds - including public safety.

Most hams are well aware of proper operating procedures (we have to take a very detailed test to get a license) and would never interfere with public safety communications on any level. I wouldn't quite call it paralleling - perhaps redundancy :)

Please contact me if you have any questions about amateur radio or its role in public safety.

Adam

(KD2AYV - Southern District Net Control Station)

Well, technically ARES donated the old Field Com when it used to be operated through WCPD. I thought the Red Cross had a Field Com operated by ARES.

I mean no offense to HAM operarators, but what level NIMS are they trained to? Is there a deployment plan for them that requires DES provide them with a vehicle? Is HAM radio still as big a hobby as it once was? I know, at one time, it was an incredible way to communicate. But nowadays, there is much technology that has made HAM radio in emergency operations like they were set up for in the past, for the most part, obsolete.

I realize most HAM Radio operators are radio geniuses and know many intircate details about radios. I hope this unit is used for details such as radio repair and setting up temproary repeater sites, etc, instead of just parelleling what already exists. And, HAM radio can interfere with some of this new technology.

I also respect all the other activites HAM radio operators do for the community, just to note.

firedude and Disaster_Guy like this

Again, I ask...what do they actually do? How do they assist during emergencies? What capabilities do they have and what capabilities does this unit have?

How can you use this resource in emergencies if no one knows what it does?

firedude likes this

Again, I ask...what do they actually do? How do they assist during emergencies? What capabilities do they have and what capabilities does this unit have?

How can you use this resource in emergencies if no one knows what it does?

I'm sure county OEM knows what it does and their capabilities. From past experiences in other areas they are only used when systems are extremely stressed or in the event of catastrophic events where other HAM operators will or may still be functioning to have communications to areas where infrastructure is damaged or destroyed.

At least you sparked my interest to see whats on the link given. Otherwise...ask someone at the county if you're really that interested.

Disaster_Guy likes this