Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Are You Behind The Curve If You Don't Have MDC's?

18 posts in this topic

Do any departments in the Lower Hudson Valley or Southeastern CT have MDC's for their entire fleet that are tied to their dispatch system?

MDC: Mobile Data Computer

Seth-both Greenwich and Stamford EMS use MDTs. Definitely a plus in my book.

I wish more agencies, especially PDs in Orange County would use MDT's connected to dispatch. This way the radio is saved for true emergencies, not "Call Mrs. Smith at 845-555-1212 in reference to where she can get the best seat at the fireworks show"

Yonkers Fire does.

Does YFD have it tied into the CAD system, and do all apparatus have it?

Down here, the majority of urban and suburban departments have MDC's. It's pretty much the standard. There is very little voice dispatching. They are linked to the dispatch CAD system, so the company can read the call, update the status of the apparatus, etc. Some other features routing information giving the best and fastest way to the scene, mapping and Google Earth views, reports that file into the record management system, and various references including premise information.

I think I remember New Rochelle was beta testing a system?

I think I remember New Rochelle was beta testing a system?

We currently have a mapping system (Which includes CIDS info) on all apparatus. 2302 has internet access and access to our file servers including FireRMS (Records Managment System). It is not tied into the CAD system.

We are completing the testing on an upgrade that every apparatus will have internet (we previously had it but it was not reliable enough) and the new mapping system has a very beefed up CIDS (including a hazmat data base for each known location and preplan, photos, floor plans etc. for any location). It also includes hydrants with flow and other data and multiple layers so we can overlay flood zones, sewers/drains or other features. The map/cids data is shared with 8 other depts that recieved this system.

The final 2 components that we are testing is "Dispatch Monitor" & AVL. The AVL will allow 2302 & HQ to see where units are. The "Dispatch Monitor" recieves info from CAD (including the CAD narrative), displays it, then shows the location on the map along with the location of your apparatus. This all happens before 60 Control can complete the voice dispatch.

It is not as good as a CAD based system as it does not communicate two way. But currently 60 does not offer any data. Unfortinatly, when the county planned the trunking system the Fire Advisory board said we had no need for data, so we do not have the infastructure to suport it.

x635 and efermann like this

A fleet supplier trying to help one police department found that there were few options for installing a screen and keyboard in a small patrol car where the installation did not interfere with radios,

lighting/siren controls, vehicle controls, seatbelts, and airbag trajectories, (a problem as airbags become more numerous)

Most of the fire and EMS agencies where I am in Central FL have the MDTs now in all vehicles, including wireless internet access. These are like those that have been in law enforcement vehicles for the past several years. The non fire EMS provider has something like an "I-Pad" with a touch screen feature that the run reports are completed on and uploaded to headquarters, ER, etc. They also come in handy for doing informed refusals on the scene.

Phil

ConEd rolled out a CAD system for gas and electric emergency response crews over 7 years ago. Each vehicle has a Toughbook MDT with live GPS vehicle locating. Dispatchers and supervisors can "see" where every crew is at any given moment, in order to move the nearest available unit to a job. In addition we used Garmin dashboard GPS units for best response/ travel routing.

Every mobile field unit has up-to-date (proprietary) company facility mapping software, featuring all pertinent information related to the gas and electric transmission & distribution systems including but not limited to valve/switch/transformer/manhole locations, operating pressures/voltages, cable/pipe/wire size, and so on.

Supervisor's vehicles had internet access ( behind the corporate firewall, of course! ) and printers for generating hard-copies of maps and documents.

Hardly any voice communication was required between dispatch and field crews once the system was fully implemented, since location and status information were updated in real-time.

This would be the type of system that would be best researched and provided through the county. It doesn't make sense for each department to create their own system and methodology and not have integration, especially when providing mutual aid coverage.

This would be the type of system that would be best researched and provided through the county. It doesn't make sense for each department to create their own system and methodology and not have integration, especially when providing mutual aid coverage.

Agreed, but since the county has told us for the last 8 years that it was not going to provide it, what is our next option.

We found a reasonable solution, got it funded and then found funding for 8 of our mutual aid partners to get it as well. I know of at least 1 additional dept in the county that is now looking at it.

It is not as good as a CAD based system as it does not communicate two way. But currently 60 does not offer any data. Unfortinatly, when the county planned the trunking system the Fire Advisory board said we had no need for data, so we do not have the infastructure to suport it.

So, 60 Control's CAD doesn't have AVL nor does it have a way to communicate data? Is there any plan to uprgade this? It's pretty much a standard feature in almost all modern dispatch centers nowadays.

Another great decision by the "Fire Advisory Board". This is why 60 Control should be it's own agency with it's own leadership.

If they are still using Intergraph, maybe they could buy the "add on". Although it's not clear if they offer a REAL MDC system that's intergrated with CAD, they seem to make it seem so until you really read into the wording.

http://www.intergraph.com/publicsafety/cad.aspx

So, 60 Control's CAD doesn't have AVL nor does it have a way to communicate data? Is there any plan to uprgade this? It's pretty much a standard feature in almost all modern dispatch centers nowadays.

The CAD is able to do both. Their is no communication system to move the Data between the CAD and apparatus.

Maybe one reason is it would cost close to $10,000,000 just to equip the extra rigs that we do not need and never respond to calls. Thats on top of the millions it would cost to set it up in the 1st place. Maybe if we did not have so much duplication of services, we could afford it.

Another great decision by the "Fire Advisory Board". This is why 60 Control should be it's own agency with it's own leadership.

SO if it was on its own, would it ignor the chiefs? They are the ones who said we do not need this.

I can't think of a good reason not to have the ability to have MDTs in the police cars, ambulances and fire apparatus.

Maybe one reason is it would cost close to $10,000,000 just to equip the extra rigs that we do not need and never respond to calls. Thats on top of the millions it would cost to set it up in the 1st place. Maybe if we did not have so much duplication of services, we could afford it.

There could be docking stations in each apparatus,including spares. However, when the company needs to switch into a spare, they can just move the laptop over.

Additionally, departments would have to "buy into" the system

SO if it was on its own, would it ignor the chiefs? They are the ones who said we do not need this.

Exactly. Remove a layer of management. Set up an MDT program, show that it works and is effective,and a lot of departments will see why we need it. If a department doesn't want MDT's, then carry on with what they want to do.

There could be docking stations in each apparatus,including spares. However, when the company needs to switch into a spare, they can just move the laptop over.

I was not refering to the "spares" I was refering to the 100+ duplicate rigs

Additionally, departments would have to "buy into" the system

ROFLMAO post-4072-0-41986500-1331602666.jpg

Exactly. Remove a layer of management. Set up an MDT program, show that it works and is effective,and a lot of departments will see why we need it. If a department doesn't want MDT's, then carry on with what they want to do.

Thats not a layer of managment. Seth you really do not remember how Westchester "functions" do you? If that were true we could have proven lots of things that the rest of the world alread knows.

SO if a dept does not want training standards? preplaned mutual aid? radio's? etc......

Also the point of this is useless, since they are a county function and tax funded. You are not going to get them as an independent agency.

x129K likes this

Common... let's not turn this into a volunteer vs career discussion and "you have too much apparatus to serve a public purpose"

This is a conversation about technology and enabling it to do our jobs better.

Common... let's not turn this into a volunteer vs career discussion and "you have too much apparatus to serve a public purpose"

This is a conversation about technology and enabling it to do our jobs better.

I don't think anyone is turning anything one way or the other, its a cold hard fact that there are more toys out there than we need or that can be adequately staffed. Period. The money could have been better spent on a more robust radio / data network for emergency personnel, at least in my mind.

Edited by Goose
Bnechis likes this