Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Newburgher

Consolidation in Dutchess County?

18 posts in this topic

Dutchess is just RIPE for consolidation! There are several townships with different departments amongst them....Imagine the quality of service, "power" (read; manpower, rescources, knowledge), and respect they could have. I truly feel it could be a win for the citizens, and a win for the members.

Bnechis, BFD1054, sfrd18 and 2 others like this

http://www.midhudson...ol-14Mar12.html

I know this has been discussed before, but here is another group considering consolidation.

Nice find Lieutenant, thanks for sharing.

Dutchess is just RIPE for consolidation! There are several townships with different departments amongst them....Imagine the quality of service, "power" (read; manpower, rescources, knowledge), and respect they could have. I truly feel it could be a win for the citizens, and a win for the members.

Dan, there you go again thinking pro-activley <_< .

We've talked about it in great lengths with regard to Westchester, esp some smaller Career Depts. Its nice to see these idea's expanding and being studied.

I have stated my feelings in regards to consolidation and i think its a step in the right direction.

I do not know much about Dutchess, but as with other Counties, i could see many areas that would/could benefit from some sort of consolidation.

Perhaps as the article mentions, the Combo depts in the Town of Poughkeepsie area could be a good start?

We've kicked this around for some time. One of my questions is, how do the members of these Depts feel about this topic?

It will be interesting to follow this study and see where it leads, if anywhere.

It's easy for me to say it is a good idea, knowing that my department would not be part of any early consolidations, as we are the sole fire service provider for the entire Town of Dover...at least I dont think we would be.

A county wide department isnt even on the radar as far as I know...but there are plenty of townships that have several departments. I honestly dont know why Arlington, Fairview, AND New Hamburg arent one department as they are all in the TOWN of Poughkeepsie? Same goes for the Towns of Amenia, Hyde Park, Wappingers, and Fishkill (I may be missing some)...but imagine the sheer size and ability of these departments combined. MOST are full of supersatrs as it is - but "when their powers combine"....I see no long term down side to it.

BFD1054 likes this

It's easy for me to say it is a good idea, knowing that my department would not be part of any early consolidations, as we are the sole fire service provider for the entire Town of Dover...at least I dont think we would be.

A county wide department isnt even on the radar as far as I know...but there are plenty of townships that have several departments. I honestly dont know why Arlington, Fairview, AND New Hamburg arent one department as they are all in the TOWN of Poughkeepsie? Same goes for the Towns of Amenia, Hyde Park, Wappingers, and Fishkill (I may be missing some)...but imagine the sheer size and ability of these departments combined. MOST are full of supersatrs as it is - but "when their powers combine"....I see no long term down side to it.

Is that a campain for the first chief of the new dept ?

Is that a campain for the first chief of the new dept ?

No Sir. Besides, it wouldn't be a NEW department, per se...just a bigger, better one.

And this is me;

"Ever wonder why you're stuck a Lieutenant all your life!?"

post-2837-0-78938700-1331773894.jpg

Edited by x129K
Bnechis likes this

Who's lite just went into over drive ?

LOL...I am a has been that never was.

JetPhoto likes this

All I can say is, watch for what anyone wishes or knows will be the best. The only thing that would be the best in Dutchess County is the Consolidation of ALL FIRE AND EMS into 1 (One) Countywide Fire & EMS Department...

To those who think they know so much about this specific report and it's findings, that are not even released or known by the department it involves yet, you know nothing about it and basically should

"KEEP YOUR BIG PIE HOLES SHUT", give the respect of waiting for the report and it's finding to come out at the March 22, 2012, 7pm press release being made at the Town of Poughkeepsie Town Hall on Overrocker Road.

Thanks for understanding this delicate situation, as it will not only affect the department involved, but it's neighbors and could and should very well lead to what I stated before "COUNTYWIDE FIRE & EMS", since every single department in the county could and would benefit from it then..

Edited by FIRECHIEF63
Bnechis, EMTDelta, JetPhoto and 3 others like this

Thanks for understanding this delicate situation, as it will not only affect the department involved, but it's neighbors and could and should very well lead to what I stated before "COUNTYWIDE FIRE & EMS", since every single department in the county could and would benefit from it then..

Wait, your saying all current departments would have the same rules, the same training standards, the same type of equipment and use the exact same terminology to make one happy family? That's just insane, who would agree to such a thing! (sarcasm)

SageVigiles likes this

Wait, your saying all current departments would have the same rules, the same training standards, the same type of equipment and use the exact same terminology to make one happy family? That's just insane, who would agree to such a thing! (sarcasm)

No the equipment would be different in the hydrant areas and the non-hydrant areas.........otherwise carry on with your sarcasm

JetPhoto likes this

All I can say is, watch for what anyone wishes or knows will be the best. The only thing that would be the best in Dutchess County is the Consolidation of ALL FIRE AND EMS into 1 (One) Countywide Fire & EMS Department...

To those who think they know so much about this specific report and it's findings, that are not even released or known by the department it involves yet, you know nothing about it and basically should

"KEEP YOUR BIG PIE HOLES SHUT", give the respect of waiting for the report and it's finding to come out at the March 22, 2012, 7pm press release being made at the Town of Poughkeepsie Town Hall on Overrocker Road.

I didn't see anything in any above post that was insulting or telling Fairview how to proceed. What has you set off exactly?

INIT915, BFD1054, EMTDelta and 2 others like this

Its unfortunate that time and money is being wasted on this and many other Fire and EMS reports. If you want change the Fire Service for the better do a study on how to encourage or force antiquated self centered control freak voting memberships that they need to do whats best for their communities and not themselves. Crap I will pay for that report.

xfirefighter484x likes this

antiquated self centered control freak voting memberships that they need to do whats best for their communities and not themselves. .

Same crap on the west side of the river. I would like someone to justify, other than the reason highlighted, the need for 5 seperate fire departments, with minimum of 3 trucks, 11 engines and 5 rescues, plus boats, utilities, and miscellaneous crap just to cover the Town of Newburgh. And that's not the whole town. Part of it is covered by Plattekill. Add in the City and Air Guard and we have more apparatus than some major metropolitan areas.

Plattekill and Coldenham both cover part of the town too. It's a ton of equipment, and every department needs mutual aid to handle even an automatic alarm. Millions in apparatus, and annual budgets, and no guarrantee that a fire truck will come to help if you call for one. Same all over it seems. I understaand noone wants to be the first to give up control, but there is no other way that I see other than consolidation.

ny10570, x129K, JetPhoto and 2 others like this

One problem that stands in the way of count wide fire depts is the NYS constitution. It prohibits countywide fire districts.

Don't be silly. Now why would we want to do anything to save the taxpayer's money? County-wide fire and ems, county schools, county police... Everyone familiar with politics and government knows we can spend our way to prosperity. Saving all those tax dollars would be foolish. The simple minded citizens would probably just waste it on things like food, gas, homes, etc. And if the politicians don't get it, they may actually have to work for theirs.

Bnechis likes this