Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x4093k

All Of The Brush Fires: Discussion Thread

39 posts in this topic

I think it'd be easier to discuss or update on any brush fire that is happening in the area, on this thread instead of on the Shout box...

I know that Ridge is fighting a massive brush fire right now, anyone with additional info feel free to fill us in..

Edited by x4093k

I think it'd be easier to discuss or update on any brush fire that is happening in the area, on this thread instead of on the Shout box...

I know that Ridge is fighting a massive brush fire right now, anyone with additional info feel free to fill us in..

It's like you read my mind... :P

Anyone know the status of Rockland's fire? Northern Westchester was getting many "outside smoke odor" calls.

x4093k likes this

Also there's a large ongoing brush fire in Milford, Connecticut. There was reports of condo complex being threatened by the fire, unsure if the complex still is at this time. In addition, the new haven lines, I-95, and Route 1 are shutdown. So, if you know people traveling in the area tell them to stay away!

Mutual Aid depts. to Milford include:

Stratford FD

Bridgeport FD

West Shore FD

West Haven FD (central district)

Metro North Fire Brigade

Edited by FF398
2231* likes this

The Manorville fire and Ridge fire have merged into 1 large fire now. The Suffolk County executive is telling people to NOT call 911 unless it's an emergency. Their system is being overloaded with calls.

Suffolk County Gov't posted an update an hour ago on their website. http://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Home/tabid/59/ctl/details/itemid/336/mid/2638/update-on-ridge-manorville-brush-fire-at-730-pm.aspx#.T4N5T2gbfOc.twitter

However there's a quote from the Ridge chief who said he wouldn't say the fires have been contained at all.

Suffolk county had a total of 109 depts that responded along with 15 from Nassau.

Manorville lost a brush truck to the fire that led to 3 ff injuries. All were hospitalized. I can't edit my previous post to add this to that.

Somers operated at a large one yesterday too.. Was about 3-5 acres, with treetops on fire too. They made a fire line through out the process, they remained o/s until about 19:30 approx. Was a job well done by all who were involved (especially the first IC before chief took over, that was a very well done job) anyways, Continental Village just got toned out- very dry land where it was reported- there is a red flag warning out and remaining out... Hope all remain safe..

2231* and JM15 like this

It's like you read my mind... :P

Anyone know the status of Rockland's fire? Northern Westchester was getting many "outside smoke odor" calls.

All I could find was this http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,15503.0.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120409/NEWS03/304090100/High-winds-carry-smoke-from-W-Mountain-brush-fire?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

The top priority is to leave with the same amount of people you came with.The worst thing that can happen is have a life is taken- or a someone is critically injured.

It seems like the calls have calmed down, although many departments are going to "odor in the area" calls, not shocking.

2231* likes this

Here's the current rundown as of the last PAR in Milford

ON SCENE:

Milford FD

Car 1 (Chief of Department)

Car 2 (A/C) Incident Commander

Car 3 (A/C)

Car 4 (B/C - Shift Commander)

Car 7 (Training Captain)

Engines 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Rescue 3 (ALS Ambulance)

HAZMAT 2 (only staffed to carry callback manpower, no HAZMAT involvement)

Special Services Unit (Canteens staffed by "The Dinosaurs" - retired MFD members)

Stratford FD

Car 5

Engines 1, 2

Brush Fire Unit

MTA Fire Brigade en route with the tanker from Harmon Yard

STANDBY COMPANIES:

Bridgeport FD Engines 4, 6

West Shore FD (West Haven) Car 30, Engine 31, Quint 33

West Haven Center FD Engine 25

Numerous relocations for coverage in West Haven and Stratford as well, but I'm not going to list those.

JetPhoto, FF398 and firedude like this

Manorville lost a brush truck to the fire that led to 3 ff injuries. All were hospitalized. I can't edit my previous post to add this to that.

manorville actually lost 2 trucks to the fire

The Manorville fire and Ridge fire have merged into 1 large fire now. The Suffolk County executive is telling people to NOT call 911 unless it's an emergency. Their system is being overloaded with calls.

Suffolk County Gov't posted an update an hour ago on their website. http://www.suffolkco...T2gbfOc.twitter

However there's a quote from the Ridge chief who said he wouldn't say the fires have been contained at all.

Suffolk county had a total of 109 depts that responded along with 15 from Nassau.

Anyone know how big this fire actually is and what exposures are endangered?

Anyone know how big this fire actually is and what exposures are endangered?

Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone reports the fire has grown to 2,000 Acres, 2 Homes were Destoryed, 1 Commercial Building was Destroyed, 2 Building are still Burning and 236 Homes are without power. NYS Gov Andrew Cuomo put the 106th ANG on Standby.

Edited by firedude
2231* likes this

What resources or functions does the ANG provide?

2231* likes this

Possibly Air Support or Structure evacuations

Personnel and aircraft (helicopters) for suppression and command/control/surveillance.

Personnel and aircraft (helicopters) for suppression and command/control/surveillance.

Thats what I was thinking thanks! I am also sure that they have a lot of manpower in addition to aircraft support

And they are right there. Can't be more than 10 miles. Not to far from the 95 fires.

Has there been an update on the LI fire yet?

Has there been an update on the LI fire yet?

Homes in Riverhead and Manorville have been destroyed by raging brush fires that have consumed at least 2,000 acres of woods and vegetation as strong winds blew flames, igniting grass and forest in tinderbox-like conditions, Suffolk officials said.

As of 7:30 p.m., winds were diminishing and only the eastern front of the fire was still out of control, after the inferno burned swathes of Manorville, Ridge, Riverhead and several other communities in what is considered a single inferno, said County Executive Steve Bellone and rescue officials.

At a news conference from the Command Post at Ridge, Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone said "It is not yet under control" and that departments from Nassau and Suffolk were still "hard at work."

He said the fire is moving in a southeast direction. He said local evacuations have been called for. "There are scattered homes throughout the area that have been evacuated," he said.

He said the county would be going door to door if additional evacations were necessary. He said two residences had been completeley destroyed and one commercial building had been destroyed; 236 homes were without power.

Several hundred acres were still burning, Ridge fire officials said at the news conference.

Chief Craig Robinson of the Plainview Fire Department said nightfall is becoming a concern, as it will make the job a lot more challenging. About 50 departments were battling small blazes and darkness, he said

Source: www.firehouse.com

Edited by x4093k

Thanks. Good luck to the guys out there on the Island. Stay safe!

x4093k likes this

Long Island man charged with arson in Tamarack fire

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2012/April/10/Muckenhaupt_Tamfire_arr-10Apr12.html

ELLENVILLE – A Nassau County man was arrested Monday and charged with starting the fire that burned down the old Tamarack property in Greenfield Park.

Lance Muckenhaupt, 56, of 119 Windsor Gate Drive in New Hyde Park was charged with two felony counts of arson as well as other charges in connection with the fire that destroyed or damaged over 30 buildings and over 50 acres of woodland....

Disaster_Guy and Beekman like this

Ridge fire is now under control. Units were being pulled back so that air support can do their drops. News 12 has some aerial footage of the damage in the Manorville area. Newsday is reporting a total of 917 acres have been burned making it 1 of the 10 largest fires in NYS history. Crews are cautiously optimistic they'll be able to have it under control and out today.

http://www.news12.co...&news_type=news

http://www.longislan..._medium=Twitter

Edited by peterose313
JetPhoto likes this

Beekman (Dutchess) brush fire endangering structures, 180 Sylvan Lake Rd. LaGrange & Union Vale requested with brush trucks

Any rundown on the personnel and equipment operating at the Ridge Fire?

Any rundown on the personnel and equipment operating at the Ridge Fire?

109 Departments- I think it'd be a little difficult to get it all... :P

JetPhoto likes this

109 Departments- I think it'd be a little difficult to get it all... :P

I'm fascinated by that statistic. What exactly did 109 departments do at this fire? How much did they each send? Did they all actually operate or is that back-fill and coverage?

Without knowing exactly what resources were committed/operating, that's a very hollow stat for me.

x4093k likes this