Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PFDRes47cue

Elmsford FD - Working Fire - 22 Woodside Ave 6/15/2012

40 posts in this topic

Who was first due then? Fairview?

Where I work on Warehouse Lane, which has an Elmsford mailing address and the Elmsford zip code (10523), we're in the Town of Greenburgh but in the Elmsford FD district.

@ Tommy guy. First off The Village of Elmsford is in the Town of Greenburgh. Woodside ave is in the Village of Elmsford. Elmsford was first due as it is thier district. Where you are talking about on Warehouse lane is the non incorporated section of Greenburgh but is not in the Village and Elmsford protects that part of Greenburgh due to the fact they are the closest FD. Just an FYI the Village line goes all the way up to the Knollwood country club on that side of town but thier fire district does continue past that. Hope that clears up the cofusion somewhat.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate your taking the time. I've worked in Elmsford a number of years and dealt with both Greenburgh PD and the Elmsford FD so I'm aware the Village is part of the Town. It is confusing though. I did not realize however, that the Village limits extended as far east as they do,

This house is actually located in the Village of Elmsford, and not in the Elmsford fire protection district.

This is what I found confusing, reason I asked if Fairview was maybe first due. I think I understand now what he meant.

Is there an official Elmsford Fire District? Which would include the Village and adjaecant areas?

The jurisdictional lines are sometimes confusing even for government agencies. Example- years ago there was a brawl in the parking lot at McDonald's on Central Avenue in Greenburgh. Both the Greenburgh Police Department and White Plains had responded. There were some lawsuits, etc and the part of the parking lot that was actually within the city limits of White Plains came into dispute. Eventually they had a surveyor come out to establish the border. For many years you could see the white line they painted through the parking lot which established the exact border.

That's Westchester!

The Crown Vic was parked there before ENG 174. When the LDH was charged it kinked under the car. So I made the decision to put the hose over the car. There was no message being sent. I Didn't even know it was a PD car until later. Even worse this car belonged to the EFD Detective whose house was involved. When the hose was removed only minor scratches were found. A little buffing and all should be well.

x4093k likes this

Nice pics! I like the supply line over the Crown Vic. Who was covering Elmsford by the way?

I would have to guess that the "Crown Vic" probably belonged to the Elmsford PD Detective whose house was ON FIRE! Don't think it was funny at all...

I'm a member of IFD. Do these families need anything? Can we donate clothes or anything? My father works for a very large clothing company in NYC. Maybe we can donate?

good reasoning ffd60, from your answer and the picture that makes sense. I was really afraid some guys are out there looking to hose a car and this was a case of it. I know guys from my own dept. that would love to do something like that to be able to take a picture of it.. Some times there is no way around it, but if we just look at things before charging a line, a few extta seconds will make it better for everyone. Thanks for the reply.

I'm a member of IFD. Do these families need anything? Can we donate clothes or anything? My father works for a very large clothing company in NYC. Maybe we can donate?

My name is Kevin Freeman and it was my house, 22 Woodside Ave, that burned to the ground. Thankfully nobody was home at the time. My wife watched from the street and called me to come home just after 4pm. Longest commute of my life.

We're living in a hotel in New Rochelle now and dealing with all the madness. Obviously our lives will never be the same, but it could've been a lot worse if it happened at night. The house was totally engulfed in a matter of minutes.

I just came from a meeting with investigators who showed me crazy pictures of the incident I could hardly believe. They mentioned this site, but those shots aren't here. The pictures in this thread were from around when I got home and the firefighters were working on saving my neighbors place.

He's hoping they'll tear it down with all the water and smoke damage.

We have a storage locker already filled with clothes. People have been so supportive and generous. I wish I could say thank you to everybody personally. My work set up a site for me www.22woodsidefund.org. We'll take a beating on the contents insurance for sure.

BUT we'll rebuild. Thanks again for all the support.