INIT915

Yonkers Fire Commissioner steps down after six months in office

18 posts in this topic

lohud and the yonkers tribune are reporting that Police Commissioner Gardner will be the interim Fire Commissioner until a new fire commissioner is hired

Sad that even the political appointees can't work with their masters.

This is a great opportunity to restructure City services and have a unified public safety commisissoner. Sad to see Kelb go after such a short time. Great guy bad timing.

INIT915 likes this

This is a great opportunity to restructure City services and have a unified public safety commisissoner.

If that was such a good concept there would be more than a few hundred communities out of the 33,000 fire depts and however many police depts in the us.

Most places one service becomes the bastard step child and there is no one to bring the fight to the elected officials. With a police and fire commissioner, at least they get to argue the depts case.

If that was such a good concept there would be more than a few hundred communities out of the 33,000 fire depts and however many police depts in the us.

Most places one service becomes the bastard step child and there is no one to bring the fight to the elected officials. With a police and fire commissioner, at least they get to argue the depts case.

As always, the good captain is right on target. Good point, B!

wraftery, PEMO3 and tglass59 like this

It has to start somewhere. Obviously the administaration in Yonkers wants change and a good man has resigned. An outsider sometimes is not the best option vs trying something new. Hard days ahead are written clearly for the our brothers down there.

Edited by AMISHFF

Usually there is a Chief of department under a unified Commissioner.YFD gave up the Dept chief to go to the commissioner,YFD now has neither. No Offense but a PD or uninformed civilian who is a puppet for the powers that be is a no win for the FD.The guys and gals are in for a tough fight but need to watch out for each other so everyone goes home.

SageVigiles likes this

Worked with Commissioner George Kielb as a firefighter,Lt., Capt., and Chief. He was a great firefighter and officer,always gave 100 percent never a slacker. Good luck in your retirement George.

1911 and wraftery like this

This is a great opportunity to restructure City services and have a unified public safety commisissoner. Sad to see Kelb go after such a short time. Great guy bad timing.

It has to start somewhere. Obviously the administaration in Yonkers wants change and a good man has resigned. An outsider sometimes is not the best option vs trying something new. Hard days ahead are written clearly for the our brothers down there.

They tried the "Public Safety Department" concept at my place and it failed miserably. I won't get into details but the "Public Safety Chief" was let go. We are back to a separate FD and PD respectively and both chiefs report to a public safety oversight committee.

+100 what Redtruck75 said. We both worked with George Kielb for many years and went to many tough jobs with him..

he is %100 for the men, a stand up guy and would never be a "yes man"...enjoy your retirement, Chief..you earned it..

he is %100 for the men, a stand up guy and would never be a "yes man"

Why do I get the feeling this had something to do with his early and sudden exit.

x129K likes this

Totaly agree with comments about george ,great person,leader and am proud to call him my friend. Remember working with him when he was new at "THAT HOUSE" in the good old days. The dept is loosing a real asset. I wish him all the best, he deserves it

x129K likes this

It looks like Comm. Kielb was vindicated. I guess the new guy coming in also told the Mayor and Dep Mayor that he could not operate safely with only one Batt. Chief. The second Batt. will be open again 24/7. Safety first

At least YFD appoints someone with a firefighting background and knowledge of the Fire Service not like other Municipalities. I still like NRFD's policy, have a Chief/Commissioner and due away the two individual positions.

tglass59 and 16fire5 like this

At least YFD appoints someone with a firefighting background and knowledge of the Fire Service not like other Municipalities. I still like NRFD's policy, have a Chief/Commissioner and due away the two individual positions.

We no longer have a commissioner, just a chief.